You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.72 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Night and Day
Bottom
Topic Subject:Night and Day
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
AoM God
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 06:30 PM EDT (US)         
"... night and day will be available in the scenario editor only..." - Bruce Shelley

I sure hope that we can change to night in regular scenarios. I think it would be cool to fight battles at night. God powers and myth units glowing at night and fire-lit arrows and catapolts flying in the air. These are just a few ideas that would make the game that much more spectacular to look at. Even building your city at sun set or sun rise (or whatever time you want) would be interesting to, it would give your city a whole new look.

AoM God

AuthorReplies:
Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 06:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 72       
Yeah, I think it really sucks that they are only limiting day and night to scenarios only. I think it would r0x0r if they would have in-game transitions. I can understand though that they may not have the resources to do that though. I don't understand why they won't allow an option to set what time of day it is when you start a random map or multiplayer though.
Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 29 January 2002 06:46 PM EDT (US)     2 / 72       
Does it really mean that much to you? I mean, if I was playing an RM or DM game on the Zone or with friends, the time of day wouldn't matter much to me, and I'd probably never want to play at night.

In a scenario, it will be an awesome feature to help set the mood! (sneaking into enemy town at night...yaaaa )

robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 06:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 72       
i don't think ppl would use the day/night feature too often, except at the beginning when they first got the game, since there are no transitions. in long multiplayer battles, i don't think you'd want to have night for the whole game...

[This message has been edited by robdude11 (edited 01-29-2002 @ 06:59 PM).]

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 06:58 PM EDT (US)     4 / 72       
I'm guessing...just guessing, that the reason why ES is still unsure about putting the night/day into regular games is because it might result just like the "AOK:TC Snow", but towards the opposite direction .

A lot of people didn't like snow in TC, because it had apparently way too high contrast, and it really made the visible objects on the map difficult to see (and it hurts the eyes to look at). It could have been done better, but I suppose they didn't have much time spent on that area.

As for day/night in AOM, ES can always test it out with the fans - that's what the public beta is good for, if you ask me : to see what the public likes/dislikes about the game.

vladimir87
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 07:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 72       
I have to say Thunder, that even though I will not care about day and night in an intense tournament game, I still think it is great. Its like saying, who cares about AOM graphics, I mean, it isn't gameplay... Still, you can't help but feel excited about something, as cool as switching day and night!

I think AOM has lost something there, that was one of the most impressive features of the game, something that set it apart...

Well, perhaps night assaults with flaming giants isnt too stealthy, hopefully it will be a random setting in all the games (no predictablity!!)

-Vladimir87

Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 07:41 PM EDT (US)     6 / 72       

Quote:

Does it really mean that much to you? I mean, if I was playing an RM or DM game on the Zone or with friends, the time of day wouldn't matter much to me, and I'd probably never want to play at night.

I probably wouldn't really play at night myself either but I don't think that's a good enough reason to not allow it. Besides, it'd be fun to have a game with a sunset every once and awhile as opposed to the same old daytime. I mean if it's there, why can't we use it?

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 08:12 PM EDT (US)     7 / 72       
I wish they had night and day for RM and DM maps, but at least its in scenarios, where it will have the greatest impact. What would've been cool is if at night, you could see the reflection of the moon and stars off the water! But i don't think they have it made out that way.

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 08:19 PM EDT (US)     8 / 72       
Maybe the settings interface is already cluttered enough. I am sure a feature goes through a lot of play testing before ES cuts it.

To be honest, I am not even sure the Day/Night feature was even implemented in RM games, and the like, in the first place. I don't know, it does not really matter anyway. It will be surely grand for scen editors! yes!

BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 08:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 72       
i've read somewhere (don't remember where though) that night would be a GP that would decrease buildings LOS but it probably has been cut out...
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 08:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 72       

Quoted from Death_shrimp from long ago, like July:

AS for AOM, we have stated that we can change the ambient light to make it look like night or day. We have not revealed how this will affect gameplay, if at all. In an earlier thread, I opined that usually just losing LOS in a game is not that fun. Most players I have seen in other RTS games (or Diablo 2) just wait until it is light again. Can anyone demonstrate why changing light would be *fun* as opposed to just realistic or different?

This probably is why they took it out of RM and DM.

SoR_Anarchy
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 08:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 72       
I hope we can pick before the game starts if the game will be played at night or at day time. I'm kinda mad but i'll get over it.

God Bless America.

I am the state.

[This message has been edited by SoR_Anarchy (edited 01-29-2002 @ 08:28 PM).]

Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 09:02 PM EDT (US)     12 / 72       

Quote:

Maybe the settings interface is already cluttered enough. I am sure a feature goes through a lot of play testing before ES cuts it.

Heh, if the GUI is that cluttered, then they should change the GUI, not cut or not add cool features.

Also a few mentioned that it might have been cut because of low LOS. Wouldn't it make more sense to just leave the LOS the same then? I still don't think this warrants not letting us have the option for day/night.

It'd be nice if ES responded, because I'm interested in hearing why they are only going to implement this cool feature in scenarios.

BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 09:11 PM EDT (US)     13 / 72       
you missed our point...
we didn't say that night had been cut out because of LOS..
it just was an ES idea to make a GD that would darken all the map decreasing buildings LOS... that would be good for like sneaking some vills and start building a castle (or fortress) next to your enemy's gold mine or something...
This idea might have gotten cut out... get it now??
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 09:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 72       
night is not dark, Its actually pretty much the same as visability is concerned. Its more of a blue tint than a pitch black. Thunder can back this up. I can find a quote if you want me too.

There fore this wouldn't have been the reason.

Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 09:30 PM EDT (US)     15 / 72       
Yeah I catch your drift BrazilianRaider, but someone else mentioned that they might have taken option to choose day/night out of RM for LOS reasons. (Even if no one did mention that and I misunderstood someone, I'm just claiming that, that's not a good reason for ES to do that But yeah anyways, a GP that made everything dark would be kind of lame. I'd rather see some nice big meteors crush somebody.

[This message has been edited by Kong_KK (edited 01-29-2002 @ 09:43 PM).]

Thunder
VIP BonusXP
posted 29 January 2002 09:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 72       
DD speaks the truth. Night time in the AOM world is a blueish hue to everything, but it's still easy to see units etc. (lighting effects look AWEsome at night)

Yes, AOM has great graphics, but I'm interested in gameplay.

I'm quite surprised people are interested in playing RM/DM at different times of the day. Not a feature I assumed would be used by the majority of players, and therefore not something I wanted the ES folks to spend any time on.

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 01-29-2002 @ 09:43 PM).]

BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 09:48 PM EDT (US)     17 / 72       
i'm all for having an option to choose wether you want all day, all night or transitions from 10 to 10 minutes...
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 09:50 PM EDT (US)     18 / 72       
choose your options wisely, young grasshopper.

Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 09:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 72       
I guess it all depends if ES can spend the time to do it or not. I wouldn't think it would be that hard. The game already has night coded into it, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to add a little drop down menu when you setup games to select something like "Standard (Day)", "Sunrise", "Sunset", "Night". Then when the game is setting up, the skybox would be set to a certain texture and lighting. This is from an fps perspective though so I don't have a clue how long it would take them.
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:01 PM EDT (US)     20 / 72       
Well since it will most definately not effect gameplay(no bonuses) then it should be an ingame option, independent for each user.

robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:16 PM EDT (US)     21 / 72       
i don't think it would be hard for ES to add a menu to change day/night, but i don't think it would work too well because there are no transitions. with transitions, it would make sense, but without, i just don't see it being very realistic to be playing the whole game at night, or dawn, or dusk. playing during the day has been a standard for most rts games.
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:20 PM EDT (US)     22 / 72       
I'm sure you can say 1 day = 45 min, and it will slowly transgress automatically.

robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:24 PM EDT (US)     23 / 72       

Quoted from deadlydentures:

I'm sure you can say 1 day = 45 min, and it will slowly transgress automatically.

programming is not that easy. u'd have to do a lot of other crazy stuff to balance it all out, and that could take away from the time it takes to get the gameplay done. now, what is more important, gameplay or graphics?

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:28 PM EDT (US)     24 / 72       
That would be as easy as pie!!!!
Windows will send timer messages to the app.
And it won't take too much time since it most likely already has timers. ie the game clock, whether they use there own timer or not...

But then every sec/message change the Time of Day.

Easy

robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:30 PM EDT (US)     25 / 72       
yes, well u could do that, but then you'd have to draw the graphics for the transitions.
Kong_KK
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:31 PM EDT (US)     26 / 72       
Yeah, day/night transitions would probably be very hard to do because you would need to slowly change the sky texture and also the lighting would have to change slowly. I can understand why ES wouldn't want to have day/night transitions because it would take a lot of time. I'm just confused as to why they aren't allowing you to set if a game will be day/night before you start a game. It would be fun maybe play a game late at night with a friend sometime and then make the environment in the game night too or something. Having the option to choose what time of day you have a game take place in would just add some diversity and replay value to the game.

[added]

DD have you ever done any game editing/modding before? I didn't think so...

[This message has been edited by Kong_KK (edited 01-29-2002 @ 10:33 PM).]

robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:35 PM EDT (US)     27 / 72       
i think they are leaving the night/day sequences for the campaign. ES has said many tiems that they want the campaign to be more important than the campains in AoK, and so integrating the night/day functions would highlight the campaign. They could make scenarios were u have night raids, or start a war at the dawn of a new day. if they allowed u to change the night/day in RM or DM, then it could take away from the campaign experience. and they probably want the user-created scenarios to be awesome also, and what better way to help users than by giving them certain variables that are not normally accessible.

[This message has been edited by robdude11 (edited 01-29-2002 @ 10:36 PM).]

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:36 PM EDT (US)     28 / 72       
I've programed in OpenGL? Is that good enough.
It's a freaken 3D environment, Its simple as cake.
There will be very little slow down. No images have to be changed. You guys don't understand how a 3D engine works.

Trust me, no slow down.

robdude11
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:38 PM EDT (US)     29 / 72       
isn't ES using Direct3D? well, anyways, setting the timers might be complicated, especially if they have numerouse other timers running already for scripted events. i'm not saying its impossible, but i guess ES just doesn't want to do it.

deadlydentures, have u tried programming in c++?

[This message has been edited by robdude11 (edited 01-29-2002 @ 10:39 PM).]

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 29 January 2002 10:40 PM EDT (US)     30 / 72       
Direct3D is very similar.

It isn't that complicated, trust me.

Also, ES never said it wouldn't let you do transistions.
It only said that night and day will only be in the screnario editor.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames