You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.134 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Why ESO is offline
Bottom
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
invent00r
Mortal
posted 12 July 2013 08:07 AM EDT (US)         
Hello,

So I decided to investigate why ESO is online. Nothing has happened to their servers, they are exactly the same as a few years ago. However, turns out the SSL certificate used to encrypt connections to ESO has expired since 10 of February of 2013. It was only a matter of time...

You can, however, ignore the error using Fiddler2, and enable the Ignore server certificates errors on the Tools | Options | HTTPS menu.

After choosing to ignore errors, the AoM proceeded the login as usual and I was officially the only one online at ESO. .
-invent00r

My Work: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

WIP: Master XS Battle Micro AI
Paused: AI (%4.247)
Os segredos são de quem os souber guardar.
AuthorReplies:
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 10 August 2013 00:16 AM EDT (US)     61 / 134       
K just keep petitioning and we'll see how far we can get. I've already been banned from thedodclan.com and pkclan.net haha
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 18 August 2013 08:12 PM EDT (US)     62 / 134       
alright f*** it let's just do it at 300. if it goes over wait until 500 because it looks better if its a somewhat even number.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 19 August 2013 12:21 PM EDT (US)     63 / 134       
Well we still need to make certain of who we're sending it to. It'd be nice to find a manager of some level of importance, definitely not emailing it to one of those Indian support people. We'll probably be over 300 by the end of this week, just guessing off how quickly numbers are still going up. Besides that I'm still busy with finals until the 30th. Other than the occasional ctrl+v linking into voobly and gameranger I'm not doing any investigating into finding a manager yet.
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 29 August 2013 01:37 PM EDT (US)     64 / 134       
So any ideas on who to send this thing to? I'm thinking of sending it to multiple people maybe, just so we have a better chance. There's this guy I found who is supposed to be responsible for the servers, I'll be sending it to him. Probably better to get more than that though.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 29 August 2013 03:47 PM EDT (US)     65 / 134       
Wow that's cool

yeah at this point you could just send it off whenever you want, or if you notice the numbers start slowing down.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 03 September 2013 08:26 PM EDT (US)     66 / 134       
so whats the story with this alien

Check out my YouTube
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 05 September 2013 00:25 AM EDT (US)     67 / 134       
Sorry haven't got a chance to do it yet. I'm trying to figure out some stuff before my next semester starts next week so I don't have to buy $150 software in addition to my nearly $800 books :/ Only have until Friday to decide if I want to take the next semester, which starts in a month, instead.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 05 September 2013 00:58 AM EDT (US)     68 / 134       
uh ok

Check out my YouTube
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 05 September 2013 07:02 AM EDT (US)     69 / 134       
Ok so I contacted Ryan Chaply. Hopefully this is the guy we want to talk to because he was the best guy I could find regarding the situation. He's a program manager at Microsoft Studios with a history of maintaining the age of community in ESO and ESO user account support. You can read up here. Message I sent is below, I'll update when I get a response.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanchaply

Anyway here's what I emailed to him:

"Hey Mr. Chaply. Over the last month me and several veteran Age of Mythology players have been petitioning on something you may or may not be aware of.

The Age of Mythology servers are still running, however, the SSL certificate has expired and because of this the ESO servers are inaccessible without use of a third party program to bypass the expired SSL certificate.

We wanted to see just how many people still support the game, and how many people prefer ESO over off-servers. In a month we've managed to get 358 signatures, surprising results for a "dead" game. I'm writing this to you in hopes that you will read our petition and let us know if there is any way to get our game back. As we understand it, Microsoft is a certificate authority and since the servers are still running we feel this wouldn't be too costly or complex an endeavor for Microsoft as a company to fulfill. There is also a link to aom.heavengames.com within the petition you may find interesting.

http://www.change.org/petitions/allow-age-of-mythology-players-back-onto-the-eso-servers

Thank you for your time,
Kronos"
ElvixLyte
Mortal
posted 26 September 2013 10:06 PM EDT (US)     70 / 134       
Hey guys!

Just wanted to say great work on trying to get this server back online. I am an oldschool AOM player, all the way back to the beginning of when this game was released.

I recently returned and was sad to see the servers were down. After a bit of researching, I found this thread.

My suggestion is to try and get to someone more personal and higher up. Calling Microsoft and these various companies will keep on leading to dead ends.

Perhaps someone could pretend to be a school student writing a paper about game management for their college class. Go into a Microsoft store, ask to speak to whoever is in charge, and ask them if they can give you a reference to a higher up. Contacting these individuals formally will get you a lot more progress since generally being a "student" makes corporate businesses much more friendly and willing to open up. You can present your case to these higher ups and hope to god they see your side.

Also, several websites still sell brand new versions of this game, which means players are buying the game still and Microsoft is still producing the product to sell to game companies. Amazon, Gamestop, Play Trade, ect all have sealed versions of this game for sale.

Age of Mythology was one of the highest selling games of its generation. The gaming population that AOM targetted was generally older and much more prone to have long lasting gaming careers. This means that the AOM community is STILL OUT THERE! We just need to find them. Posting about AOM on various RTS strategy forums, 3rd party programs, and posting on the reviews for AOM on these companies pages that still sell AOM will bring old timers back to sign the petition.

AOM still maintains very high ratings to this day. The new generation of gamers still enjoy the game, and word of mouth is one of the most powerful things. If we get ESO servers back up and running, and start rebuilding a community, more will come.

Don't give up hope guys! The communities out there! Look at me, I came back to the game out of sheer desire to play my favorite game from years ago. We just have to get the word out there, people will come.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 26 September 2013 11:13 PM EDT (US)     71 / 134       
Thanks for your say on this, it's nice to hear

You might also wanna check out this

http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,29351,,10

Check out my YouTube
Dean88
Mortal
posted 27 September 2013 12:58 PM EDT (US)     72 / 134       
Its a shame you guys had to hijack this thread, invent00r was doing a good job on his own until you chased him away..
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 29 September 2013 06:57 PM EDT (US)     73 / 134       
what was he doing?

all he did was just provide some info on the server.

Check out my YouTube
harris6
Mortal
posted 29 September 2013 07:07 PM EDT (US)     74 / 134       
Woah, just connected to the servers using fiddler2, I was the only one there.

YAY Community project!
Yes, I am back, after 3 years...
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 02 October 2013 02:25 AM EDT (US)     75 / 134       
Man this guy isn't responding to my message, I might need to contact him again. It's been like a month since I sent it.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 06 October 2013 08:58 PM EDT (US)     76 / 134       
Do it.

Check out my YouTube
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 10 October 2013 01:24 AM EDT (US)     77 / 134       
Did it, I'll let you know if there's a response.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 10 October 2013 10:57 PM EDT (US)     78 / 134       
why didnt you tell me about this http://forum.agecommunity.com/forums/thread/999376.aspx

Check out my YouTube
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 12 October 2013 01:43 AM EDT (US)     79 / 134       
You want to try contacting some of the other people mentioned? I only contacted Ryz0n because I was told he was the head guy and the other guys are moderators, but you can try them too.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 13 October 2013 11:32 PM EDT (US)     80 / 134       
the forgotten password for that site is being a b**** (its been a while) just ask musketeer925 if anything ever became of him pming those ppl.

Check out my YouTube
ElvixLyte
Mortal
posted 15 October 2013 09:42 PM EDT (US)     81 / 134       
Hey guys, I've been meeting a couple of old players back back from 2007-2008'ish. I've convinced 2 people to sign the petition, and I'm telling an entire clan about it who has never even heard of the petition/SSL cert thing.

Hopefully these signatures can actually bring some power to our voices.
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 15 October 2013 11:50 PM EDT (US)     82 / 134       
Thanks for the help Elvix. I tried replying to that thread Thangbrand, I'll give it a couple days before I pm musketeer directly. There's a possibility that Ryz0n or one of the moderators will see the thread, maybe...

* K so musketeer got no response from them either. Hey Thangbrand maybe you should give it a try haha. These guys have to answer us at some point.

[This message has been edited by AlienSexRanger (edited 10-19-2013 @ 00:23 AM).]

TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 19 October 2013 10:41 AM EDT (US)     83 / 134       
alright i told you i cant login so ill see what i can do, like trying to contact the few other ppl

Check out my YouTube

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 10-19-2013 @ 10:46 AM).]

hiro_filipp
Mortal
posted 20 October 2013 04:07 PM EDT (US)     84 / 134       
i can't believe this! haha you are the man!

ΕΛΛΑΣ
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 21 October 2013 00:40 AM EDT (US)     85 / 134       
Thanks Greek flag guy. Hey Thangbrand, try contacting Ryan Chaply on facebook too. You can try twitter if you want. I'm probably going to post on twitter next, I really hate to because there's like a 20 character limit so I'm basically going to have to spam this guy's entire page with telling him what we've been doing, how many people have signed, what we want, and the link to petition. He won't answer on facebook, so I guess he gives me no choice.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 21 October 2013 10:08 AM EDT (US)     86 / 134       
i think greek flag guy was talking about invent00r

Check out my YouTube
AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 21 October 2013 12:26 PM EDT (US)     87 / 134       
Oh ok, well he's a little late, I think the last time inventoor was here was a few months ago?
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 07 November 2013 01:23 PM EDT (US)     88 / 134       
shared all the important info here: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1mpyy2/i_am_dave_pottinger_a_lead_developer_of_the_age/

edit: its also clearly states by this guy that microsoft owns all the rights to aom. Microsoft are the people to go after.

of course i dont think that means the guys who made aom cant make a request to Microsoft regarding the server, but still. our best chance is with microsoft. and best chance my a**.

i also find it stupid that not one person even asked about the online problem to this guy.

Check out my YouTube

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 11-07-2013 @ 06:13 PM).]

AlienSexRanger
Mortal
posted 11 November 2013 12:08 PM EDT (US)     89 / 134       
Nice, I glanced at the thing, I'll try and look at it a bit more when I get time. Busy as **** lately, only 2 hours of sleep **** me.
kiaksar2142
Mortal
posted 11 November 2013 07:18 PM EDT (US)     90 / 134       
Alright guys, I signed too and asked several Russian communities to sign for it!
plus there will be other more people (hopefully) who will sign for petition!
lets hope it'll work out!

hey and any news from that AOM owner guy?
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames