You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.69 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Filling in the gaps, an AoMH forumers project you can contribute to
Bottom
Topic Subject:Filling in the gaps, an AoMH forumers project you can contribute to
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 06:58 AM EDT (US)         

After the gamespot showcase and the recent ES Zeus details page, we have a bit more bearing on how the game works. Every deity, major and minor, has a Myth unit attached to them. It's even possible that some have two Myth units, perhaps. [Though I admit, I doubt it.] But so far, we have a lot of gaps in things. So here I've put together a compilation of ideas to try and - you guessed it - fill in the gaps.

There are 12 minor deities per culture, plus the 9 base gods. So that makes for at least 45 Myth Units, unless of course I have made one my characteristic gross misunderstandings. Below are my ideas for the connection between gods and their myth units, and a few suggestion for what myth units might as yet be unrevealed. What I want to do is get opinions from everyone on this, so we can create a user-made knowledge base of realistic predictions about the game. And we can probably see over time whether some of these predictions are accurate with the gamespot showcases. [Few and far between as they are.]

Try and ignore my bad table layout.

Feel free to make additions as you wish - although I will be away between the 26th and 2nd, so I may not be able to update your suggestion during this time!.

Norse units

Mythological Unit Deity
Reasoning
Raven Odin
Odin had two Ravens, Hugin and Munin who would fly around the nine worlds each day to gather information for Odin.
Valkyrie Odin/Freya

Valkyries gathered the valiant slain for Odin, to feast with him in valhalla Freya would split half the dead warriors from a battle with Odin

Gullinbursti Frey
Frey's chariot was pulled by two great boars, one of which was Gullinbursti
Troll ?
No idea
Mountain Giant ?
Giants hated the Aesir [the gods]...so it's kind of hard to see how they relate
Fire Giant Loki? Surt?
Loki was half fire-giant, Surt was ruler of Muspellheim [technically not one of the Aesir, but arguably a god nonetheless]
Frost Giant Heimdall? Skadi?
Heimdall was charged with guarding bifrost - the bridge to Asgard - from the frost giants. Skadi represented the destruction of winter
Kraken Aegir?
Aegir = god of the sea
Undead Warrior ?
No bloody idea
Deer-man-thingy ?
I have a strong suspicion this guy was cut
Possible additions
Ulfr Frigg
Nidhogg Thor?
Fenris Wolf Tyr
Tyr was the only god brave enough to tend the wolf
Elf Frey
Frey ruled over Alvenheim, the domain of the light elves
Garm Hel
Garm = Hel's hound
The Midgard Serpent Hel?

Greek Units
Mythological Unit
Deity
Reasoning
Pegasus
Zeus
Pegasus is also widely known to of carried Zeus' thunderbolts.
Manticore

Apollo

Gamespot showcase confirms

Collosus
Hephaestus
Hephaestus was a lame god whose skills were as a craftsman and smith...and the collosus was in fact a great statue. Possible?
Medusa
Hera
Gamespot showcase confirms [Although I really don't see the relation between Hera and Medusa...]
Minotaur
Athena
Gamespot showcase confirms
Cyclops
?
The CGM article said the Cyclops was available early. Not very helpful though.
Hydra
Demeter?
Centaur
Dionysus
Centaurs worshipped the god of wine
Chimera
Persephone?
Griffin
Artemis
Wild animals were the domain of Artemis
Nemean Lion
?
Possible additions
Cerberus
Hades
Hades ruled the underworld...cerberus guarded the way to the underworld
Satyr
Pan
Pan was a Satyr, or something...forget what
Sphinx
?
Probably won't be included to prevent confusion with the better known Egyptian ansrosphinx
Basilisk
?
Probably too similiar in its unique abilities to the Medusa to be included
Scylla
Poseidon?
Sea monster with 6 mouths...or heads...or something
Siren/Harpy
Aphrodite?

Egyptian Units
Phoenix
Ra
Phoenix is associated with the sun, which is associated with Ra
Scarab
Sekhmet
Ra showcase confirms.
Anubite
Anubis
Well DUH.
Apep
Set?
Set = evil guy. More likely that Apep is with a minor deity associated with Ra, though.
Wadjet
Ptah
Ra showcase confirms
Sphinx
Bast?
Cat/Lion goddess
Mummy
Thoth
Thoth was the god of learning who first knew the process of mummification, and taught it to Isis
Scorpion (Serfet)
Osris
The serfet is an Egyptian creature with the head of a hawk, the body of a lion, and wings. It was the keeper of Osiris' body parts.
Roc
Maat?
Winged deity
Giant Turtle
Hapi?
Associated with the Nile, ebb and tide of flood waters, and turtles
Avenger
Horus
Horus was known as 'the avenger', and also appeared with a falcon's head.
Possible additions
Sand Giant/Golem
Neith?
?
I'm not really well versed at Egyptian Mythology, so ideas would be welcome...

Finally, please share any ideas you have for as yet unrevealed MU's!

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 03-27-2002 @ 08:00 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 26 February 2002 07:57 PM EDT (US)     31 / 69       
If you think about the other flying units, the norse raven [Odin] and the Phoenix [Ra], they are both almost guaranteed to be first age units.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
Warrior_For_Sale
Mortal
posted 26 February 2002 08:04 PM EDT (US)     32 / 69       
I actually know a decent amount of information concerning Greek Mythology. You could say Ive "studied" it. If you wish, I could send you an E-mail with as much Info. possible?

If Your Gonna Be A Bear...BE A GRIZZLY BEAR!

Who Says Hate Is A Bad Thing?

Immhotep
Mortal
posted 26 February 2002 08:15 PM EDT (US)     33 / 69       
...so if Pegasus => Zeus; Phoenix => Ra; Ravens => Odin, then what about Poseidon, Hades, Loki, etc.? If there are 12 main gods, are you suggesting that they will start with 12 different scouting units?
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 26 February 2002 09:34 PM EDT (US)     34 / 69       
Of course not. They will each have different first age MU's. While ES gave us the cryptic comment on 'different scouting methods', I'd suggest that each of those civs start with/can build a regular scout...or something, but only those three gods get the flying scout, which is likely greater LOS, greater speed, but costs favour.

Each of the other gods [assumedly] has a starting MU as well. It doesn't have to be a flying one though. Poseidon might be the Kraken [though I doubt it...since having a naval MU in first age would be kinda dumb, no choices or anything] Loki for instance might be the Fire Giant, so he could have a combat MU in the first age.

Etc...

Warrior_For_Sale: if you could, that would be great! I'm always on the lookout for more info to add to the site or the knowledge base I'm compiling here in the forums. Alternately you can just post ideas you have for MU's if you want.

TheShdwDwn
Lord_Spud
Mortal
posted 26 February 2002 11:22 PM EDT (US)     35 / 69       
The Cyclops belonged to Poseidon...haven't u read The Odyssey? When Odysseus defeated Athens(with the help of Poseidon), he denyed Poseidons help in his victory, this angered Poseidon. When he landed on Polyphemus' turf, he eventually escaped, but he stabbed Polyphemus in his eye with a big stick, also angering Poseidon.
Also, the deer-men, probably belong to Pan, as he was the god of nature etc. ALTHOUGH, they could also belong to Dionysus, because he had the little whatcha-ma-callems(forget name). For those of you that have played Zeus,(& ticked off Dionysus) they are the little dudes following Dionysus around while he gets ur town drunk and they follow the party right outta your town.

Lord Of The Rings
AOE ROR AOK AOC AOM
Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rolling Stones, RUSH

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 01:49 AM EDT (US)     36 / 69       
The Odyessy? No, I'm afraid not.

The Deer Men are Norse, as far as I know.

Hmmm.

Maybe we've just been assuming they're norse, and they're satyrs or something like Pan, as you suggest. I'll add Satyr to the possible Greek MU's, though, and leave deer men where they are.

TheShdwDwn
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 01:53 AM EDT (US)     37 / 69       
Another thought I've had that I may or may not have mentioned is that since there are Frost GIants, Fire Giants, Trolls...the like available to the Norse, then perhaps there are Jotun [Giants] and Vanir [Evil gods] minor deities as well as the Aesir [Gods worshipped by men].

So then you could have Surt as a minor deity that gave you Fire Giants, for instance...

TheShdwDwn
lief ericson
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 08:58 AM EDT (US)     38 / 69       
Pan would have that funky looking "cyclops"(that has 2 eyes!) in the River crossing pic.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
The Fenris Wolf
Banned
posted 27 February 2002 10:35 AM EDT (US)     39 / 69       
Norse god ULL:
"God of archery, the hunt, skiers and snowshoes; basically a male Skadi. His weapon was a longbow made out of Yew and he lived in Ydal [Yew Dales]. He was called upon for help in duels and the skalds frequently used "Ull's ship" to mean sheild."

Archery bonus?

Ill find more later.....

[This message has been edited by The Fenris Wolf (edited 02-27-2002 @ 10:37 AM).]

WhoAskedU
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 12:17 PM EDT (US)     40 / 69       
The Fenris Wolf could be unique to Loki also, since loki was the Fenris Wolf's father (the mother was the giantess Angerboda)

And the Midgard Serpent would be Loki's Water unit, since Loki was the father and Angerboda was the mother...)

SO maybe if you choose Loki and then select Angerboda as a Minor Diety she would give you the Fenris Wolf and/or the Midgard Serpent

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"
Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.
Stormboy
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 12:43 PM EDT (US)     41 / 69       
About scouting: here's a quote from ES_DeathShrimp in the 3 civs thread

Quoted from ES_DeathShrimp:

In AOK, Persians, Saracens, Byzantine and Turks all shared an art set. It works the same way in AOM, except that civs that share an art set also share the way they gather Favor, scout, counter certain strategies, etc.

So civs from the same culture scout in the same way. That almost has to mean "with the same unit", as I don't see how you can scout "in the same way" with 3 different units.

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 08:02 PM EDT (US)     42 / 69       

Quote:

They will each have different first age MU's. While ES gave us the cryptic comment on 'different scouting methods', I'd suggest that each of those civs start with/can build a regular scout...or something, but only those three gods get the flying scout, which is likely greater LOS, greater speed, but costs favour.

Example:

Zeus gets Pegasus, but also starts with a regular scout. Poseidon and Hades also start with a regular scout.

That seems like the same method of scouting to me.

TheShdwDwn
Gagylpus
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 09:52 PM EDT (US)     43 / 69       
Okay guys... LISTEN UP!
The Greeks Start With A Mounted Scout Unit.
The Norse Start With The Raven.
The Egyptians I Have No Clue About.
This Is My Theory.
So Says My Axe.

Gagylpus
I don't have a signature. Signatures are for mortals. Or very insecure immortals like those freaking Greek gods.
Frost_Giant
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 10:13 PM EDT (US)     44 / 69       
Nice post TSD

Mabye the Phoenix is the Egypt scout unit

I thought the deer-man was cut... but who knows

I would like to add something but since I know little about mythology I'll keep my mouth shut

Proud templar of the FPH clan
Now, you must all agree with me, or I'm going to kill you. Got it?-TSD

The Road goes ever on and on. Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet.And whither then? I cannot say.

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 10:15 PM EDT (US)     45 / 69       
No, I think each of the civs has their own scouting units, and the Pegasus/Raven/Phoenix are exceptions to that rule. Using the Pegasus/Raven/Phoenix as a scout unit though is probably more resource consuming than the regular approach, since a) they cost favour, and b) probably need a temple to be built from.

TheShdwDwn
Gagylpus
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 10:16 PM EDT (US)     46 / 69       
Then whats the piont of them if they dont have good attack?

Gagylpus
I don't have a signature. Signatures are for mortals. Or very insecure immortals like those freaking Greek gods.
robdude11
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 10:18 PM EDT (US)     47 / 69       
increased LOS?
Gagylpus
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 10:22 PM EDT (US)     48 / 69       
Waste of favour, just for more LOS.

Gagylpus
Frost_Giant
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 10:22 PM EDT (US)     49 / 69       
most likely incresed LOS and they are probably faster

also, mabye the fly over walls?

Proud templar of the FPH clan
Now, you must all agree with me, or I'm going to kill you. Got it?-TSD

The Road goes ever on and on. Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet.And whither then? I cannot say.

[This message has been edited by Frost_Giant (edited 02-27-2002 @ 10:24 PM).]

TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 10:29 PM EDT (US)     50 / 69       
It's hard to make assumptions about the actual logistics of the MU scouts vs regular scouts, or whether indeed they are just scouts when ES haven't actually given us any solid information about them.

Flying MU's can probably go faster, see more, be tougher and harder to kill, fly over cliffs, forests, seas, etc. They are probably 'cheap' MU's as well, where the other ones cost much favour and other resources, the scouting ones won't.

I make the assumption that Raven/Pegasus/Phoenix cannot attack since in none of the screenshots where they have appeared, have they been attacking anything...yet other units HAVE been fighting at the same time.

TheShdwDwn
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 27 February 2002 10:29 PM EDT (US)     51 / 69       
We already know the greek start with 3 villies and a scout(regular one).
i guess you will only be able to get a Flying mythological scout once you build a temple and gather some favor to create it...
Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 28 February 2002 00:06 AM EDT (US)     52 / 69       
But maybe not very much, because Zeus players start with some favor also.

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 28 February 2002 00:09 AM EDT (US)     53 / 69       
That might be part of the reason Zeus starts with favour, so he can build a Pegasus easily.

TheShdwDwn
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 27 March 2002 11:29 AM EDT (US)     54 / 69       
Top + updated.

Keep the ideas coming!

TheShdwDwn
Real
Mortal
posted 27 March 2002 11:47 AM EDT (US)     55 / 69       
"Different ways of scouting" imo doesn't mean to scout with diff units, it does mean to havve diff ways of scouting than scout units!!!!

The last time I said this...

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 27 March 2002 11:50 AM EDT (US)     56 / 69       
We already know the egyptians don't start the game with a scout.... at least Ra doesn't.
Hell
Mortal
posted 27 March 2002 01:17 PM EDT (US)     57 / 69       
Well, I'll give you my vision:

Greek units

• Pegasus: Zeus
  • Leviathan: Poseidon
  • Cerberus: Hades
  • Medusa: Hera
  • Hydra: Demeter (snake = symbol of fertility)
  • Scylla: Hecate/Amphitrite (Hecate = mother of Scylla)
  • Chimera: Persephone (C. lived near underworld entrance)
  • Minotaur: Athena
  • Griffin: Artemis (wild animals = domain of Artemis)
  • Manticore: Apollo
  • Nemean Lion: Ares (no idea, sounds great)
  • Colossus: Hephaestus (bronze = Hephaestus' metal)
  • Sirens: Aphrodite (beautiful women)
  • Cyclops: Hermes (Cyclops liked to hold cattle, catlle = a domain of Hermes)
  • Centaur: Dionysus

Egyptian units

• Phoenix: Ra (Phoenix = sun = Ra)
  • Selket: Isis
  • Apep: Set (Apep = destruction = Seth)
  • Avenger: Horus
  • Minion: Osiris (Minion = dead, Osiris = God of underworld)
  • Scarab: Neckbet
  • Wadjet: Ptah
  • Nechbet: Nepthys (Nepthys had wings as, like the vulture Nechbet)
  • Roc: Maat (Maat had wings, as Roc seems to have too)
  • Anubite: Anubis
  • Sand Giant: Neith (?)
  • Giant Turtle: Hapi (Hapi = Nile, Turtle represents the ebb and flow of the Nile's floodwaters)
  • Mummy: Thoth
  • Kamos: Hathor (from concept art: I do not know Kamos, but he looks like a bull)
  • Sphinx: Bast (Bast = female lion/cat goddess)

Norse units

• Ravens: Odin
  • Niddhog: Thor (they battled)
  • Fire Giant: Loki (Loki was a fire god)
  • Frost Giant: Skadi (she represented the destruction of wintertime)
  • Mountain Giant: Heimdall (lived on 'Heavens Mountain')
  • Ulfrs (Geri & Freki): Frigg (wife of Odin)
  • Gullinbursti: Frey
  • Valkyries: Freya
  • Fenrir: Tyr (battled eachother)
  • Kraken: Aegir (Aegir = sea god, kraken = sea monster)
  • Garm: Hel (Hel's hound)

BTW: Cetus was the Sea monster that was sent by Poseidon to kill Andromeda. Kraken is something Norse: In Norse mythology the kraken is a sea monster, as large as and resembling an island, which can drag down ships and plunges suddenly into the depths.

Hel, Lady of Darkenss
    She's the Bottomless Pit,
    The never-ending struggle to release that which is now denied.
    She's the keeper of all that is hidden, secluded and forbidden,
    The mistress of the locked door.
  • c r e e z y
    Mortal
    (id: Hairy Scary Man)
    posted 27 March 2002 05:50 PM EDT (US)     58 / 69       
    i dont know anythin...ill let you guys do it and look when ur done...then ill wait for AOM to c if u guys were correct

Last_Knight
    Mortal
    posted 27 March 2002 05:58 PM EDT (US)     59 / 69       
    In the latest screeny, we've seen Norse swordsmen. So far we've seen the Norse only with pikes and axes, except for some very old screenshots.

The Last Knight
    Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
    lief ericson
    Mortal
    posted 27 March 2002 06:17 PM EDT (US)     60 / 69       
    Well Sandy just accidently unofficialy comfirmed that Odin would get a Minor god that would give the mountain giant.
    Go here to post two!

SEXITUP.
    Former Leader of the FPH Clan
    Acting-President of AoMH
    « Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames