You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.69 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Filling in the gaps, an AoMH forumers project you can contribute to
Bottom
Topic Subject:Filling in the gaps, an AoMH forumers project you can contribute to
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 24 February 2002 06:58 AM EDT (US)         

After the gamespot showcase and the recent ES Zeus details page, we have a bit more bearing on how the game works. Every deity, major and minor, has a Myth unit attached to them. It's even possible that some have two Myth units, perhaps. [Though I admit, I doubt it.] But so far, we have a lot of gaps in things. So here I've put together a compilation of ideas to try and - you guessed it - fill in the gaps.

There are 12 minor deities per culture, plus the 9 base gods. So that makes for at least 45 Myth Units, unless of course I have made one my characteristic gross misunderstandings. Below are my ideas for the connection between gods and their myth units, and a few suggestion for what myth units might as yet be unrevealed. What I want to do is get opinions from everyone on this, so we can create a user-made knowledge base of realistic predictions about the game. And we can probably see over time whether some of these predictions are accurate with the gamespot showcases. [Few and far between as they are.]

Try and ignore my bad table layout.

Feel free to make additions as you wish - although I will be away between the 26th and 2nd, so I may not be able to update your suggestion during this time!.

Norse units

Mythological Unit Deity
Reasoning
Raven Odin
Odin had two Ravens, Hugin and Munin who would fly around the nine worlds each day to gather information for Odin.
Valkyrie Odin/Freya

Valkyries gathered the valiant slain for Odin, to feast with him in valhalla Freya would split half the dead warriors from a battle with Odin

Gullinbursti Frey
Frey's chariot was pulled by two great boars, one of which was Gullinbursti
Troll ?
No idea
Mountain Giant ?
Giants hated the Aesir [the gods]...so it's kind of hard to see how they relate
Fire Giant Loki? Surt?
Loki was half fire-giant, Surt was ruler of Muspellheim [technically not one of the Aesir, but arguably a god nonetheless]
Frost Giant Heimdall? Skadi?
Heimdall was charged with guarding bifrost - the bridge to Asgard - from the frost giants. Skadi represented the destruction of winter
Kraken Aegir?
Aegir = god of the sea
Undead Warrior ?
No bloody idea
Deer-man-thingy ?
I have a strong suspicion this guy was cut
Possible additions
Ulfr Frigg
Nidhogg Thor?
Fenris Wolf Tyr
Tyr was the only god brave enough to tend the wolf
Elf Frey
Frey ruled over Alvenheim, the domain of the light elves
Garm Hel
Garm = Hel's hound
The Midgard Serpent Hel?

Greek Units
Mythological Unit
Deity
Reasoning
Pegasus
Zeus
Pegasus is also widely known to of carried Zeus' thunderbolts.
Manticore

Apollo

Gamespot showcase confirms

Collosus
Hephaestus
Hephaestus was a lame god whose skills were as a craftsman and smith...and the collosus was in fact a great statue. Possible?
Medusa
Hera
Gamespot showcase confirms [Although I really don't see the relation between Hera and Medusa...]
Minotaur
Athena
Gamespot showcase confirms
Cyclops
?
The CGM article said the Cyclops was available early. Not very helpful though.
Hydra
Demeter?
Centaur
Dionysus
Centaurs worshipped the god of wine
Chimera
Persephone?
Griffin
Artemis
Wild animals were the domain of Artemis
Nemean Lion
?
Possible additions
Cerberus
Hades
Hades ruled the underworld...cerberus guarded the way to the underworld
Satyr
Pan
Pan was a Satyr, or something...forget what
Sphinx
?
Probably won't be included to prevent confusion with the better known Egyptian ansrosphinx
Basilisk
?
Probably too similiar in its unique abilities to the Medusa to be included
Scylla
Poseidon?
Sea monster with 6 mouths...or heads...or something
Siren/Harpy
Aphrodite?

Egyptian Units
Phoenix
Ra
Phoenix is associated with the sun, which is associated with Ra
Scarab
Sekhmet
Ra showcase confirms.
Anubite
Anubis
Well DUH.
Apep
Set?
Set = evil guy. More likely that Apep is with a minor deity associated with Ra, though.
Wadjet
Ptah
Ra showcase confirms
Sphinx
Bast?
Cat/Lion goddess
Mummy
Thoth
Thoth was the god of learning who first knew the process of mummification, and taught it to Isis
Scorpion (Serfet)
Osris
The serfet is an Egyptian creature with the head of a hawk, the body of a lion, and wings. It was the keeper of Osiris' body parts.
Roc
Maat?
Winged deity
Giant Turtle
Hapi?
Associated with the Nile, ebb and tide of flood waters, and turtles
Avenger
Horus
Horus was known as 'the avenger', and also appeared with a falcon's head.
Possible additions
Sand Giant/Golem
Neith?
?
I'm not really well versed at Egyptian Mythology, so ideas would be welcome...

Finally, please share any ideas you have for as yet unrevealed MU's!

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.

[This message has been edited by TheShadowDawn (edited 03-27-2002 @ 08:00 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
TheShadowDawn
Mortal
posted 27 March 2002 08:00 PM EDT (US)     61 / 69       
Well that doesn't narrow it down much.

Updated with Hell's thoughts, btw.

TheShdwDwn
If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately.
LongSiege
Mortal
posted 27 March 2002 08:24 PM EDT (US)     62 / 69       
Great post TSD . I bet over 90%+ of your assumptions are correct.

http://aom.rtsgamer.com
AoM VIP Alpha Tester
IR_Evil
Mortal
posted 27 March 2002 08:36 PM EDT (US)     63 / 69       
"Cyclops ? The CGM article said the Cyclops was available early. Not very helpful though."

Ares maybe? Isn't Ares a 2nd age god?

c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 27 March 2002 08:38 PM EDT (US)     64 / 69       
i think Hell works for ES or sumthin...his posts seem to look correct or very close

Hyperion2010
Mortal
posted 27 March 2002 08:56 PM EDT (US)     65 / 69       
The troll should belong to Loki (i hope this hasnt alread been said) because he was the a Jotun "god" and at Ragnokk (the "end of the world" but not really) or how ever it is spelled, he leads armies of Jotuns and they are made up of trolls giants etc. your usuall suspects for the big bad ugly strong and distructive.

Woah hold up do i see Fenris the Wolf belonging to Tyr, FW is one of Loki's off-spring, shouldn't he belong to Loki?

[This message has been edited by Hyperion2010 (edited 03-27-2002 @ 09:00 PM).]

Toetanchamon9
Mortal
posted 28 March 2002 10:10 AM EDT (US)     66 / 69       
I think the sphinks is under Sekhmet, so she get 2MU's. The sphinks is a lion "kind of" animal and Sekhmet is the lion goddess.

Toet
izzy
Mortal
(id: Ballista_Turtle)
posted 03 April 2002 03:22 AM EDT (US)     67 / 69       
Top the top, heathen!

~Izzy|HG Angel |Since August 2000~
~INTL|HeavenGames~
<('.')>
Bernardo
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 02:23 PM EDT (US)     68 / 69       
Golem is in fact from the hebrew Mythology coming from the word Galemi which means "unperfect".

The Golem was a stone Giant which rabines turnt to life by writing G-d's name on their back heads.

Azzie
Hero
(id: Aztec Emperor)
posted 03 April 2002 05:15 PM EDT (US)     69 / 69       

Quote:

Roc - Maat? Winged deity

I haven't been keeping tabs on names, which MU is "Roc"?

I'm very depressed to see that The Devourer was not included as an MU (so far). If at all, the Devourer would go to Ma'at, God of Justice. (by association only)

Dear Man - He was cut. I SPECIFICLLY remember ES saying that "not to expect to see him in the game". Difently cut

Quote:

Mountain Giant ? Giants hated the Aesir ...so it's kind of hard to see how they relate

The only thing I can think of is Thor. Thor was often amoung giants, and the Giant simply looks like him.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames