You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.82 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Folstag ate the Extended Edition and hurled Titan Difficulty into the river: A "Let's Play"
Bottom
Topic Subject:Folstag ate the Extended Edition and hurled Titan Difficulty into the river: A "Let's Play"
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Melth
Mortal
posted 03 February 2017 11:25 PM EDT (US)         

Hello, everyone. I've begun a video series of Age of Mythology's campaigns which I think some of you will enjoy. But first...

A Word About Me:

Grandiloquent.

A Few More Words About Me:

Although I'm completely new to this forum (pleased to meet all of you, by the way), I've been playing and loving Age of Mythology since it came out. It was the first RTS I ever played and got me into the genre for life.

All these years later, it remains my second-favorite RTS after Warcraft 3.

I was delighted to suddenly find out a month ago that it had a new expansion, and I decided to play through all the campaigns on Titan difficulty again.

I've been making Let's Plays (Some quite acclaimed on the SomethingAwful forums) of strategy games for about two years, but all of the screenshot variety. Serendipitously, I'd been thinking about trying my hand at making a video Let's Play for the first time just when I heard about the Extended Edition.

Since I had no experience making or editing videos at all, the first few were very rough, but I started with the little-known tutorial campaign for that very reason. My more recent videos are good enough that I think they're ready for folks outside my established fanbase.

About This Let's Play:

As in all of my Let's Plays, the focus of this one will be going through the campaign on the highest difficulty. I'll often throw in extra challenges too- sometimes speedruns, sometimes zero-casualty runs, sometimes other things that sound fun for that particular mission. However, one restriction I'm going to stick by is that I must complete all mission objectives in order. This nixes a lot of the quickest speedrun possibilities as well as several exploits on buggy campaign missions which can be trivialized otherwise.

My videos are intended for people who've never played the game as well as lifelong fans, so I'll explain a lot of basics everyone here already knows.

For that matter, I'm sure I'm nowhere near as good as most of you.

However, I'll be going quite deep into the game's more hidden mechanics over time and I've done a lot of empirical testing of them with interesting results, so some of you might still learn an interesting thing or two.

Besides strategy and how the game works, I'll examine the way the story and characters are presented- as well as talk about the game's relation to real-world history and mythology.

Between all that and my beautiful voice, I hope there's something here for everyone.

Table of Contents:

Tutorial Mission 1: Hunt for a Killer
Tutorial Mission 2: Pleasing the Gods
Tutorial Mission 3: Uninvited Guests

Fall of the Trident Prologue & Mission 1: Troubled Sleep & Omens
Fall of the Trident Mission 2: Consequences
Fall of the Trident Mission 3: Scratching the Surface
Fall of the Trident Mission 4: A Fine Plan
Fall of the Trident Mission 5: Just Enough Rope
Fall of the Trident Mission 6: I Hope This Works
Fall of the Trident Mission 7: More Bandits
Fall of the Trident Mission 8: Bad News
Fall of the Trident Mission 9: Revelations
Fall of the Trident Mission 10: Strangers
Fall of the Trident Mission 11: The Lost Relic (and Egyptian tutorial)
Fall of the Trident Mission 12: Light Sleeper
Fall of the Trident Mission 13: Tug of War
Fall of the Trident Mission 14: "Isis, Hear My Plea"
Fall of the Trident Mission 15: Let's Go
Fall of the Trident Mission 16: Good Advice
Fall of the Trident Mission 17: The Jackal's Stronghold
Fall of the Trident Mission 18: A Long Way From Home
Fall of the Trident Mission 19: Watch That First Step
Fall of the Trident Mission 20: Where They Belong
Fall of the Trident Mission 21: Old Friends
Fall of the Trident Mission 22: North
Fall of the Trident Mission 23: The Dwarven Forge
Fall of the Trident Mission 24: Not From Around here
Fall of the Trident Mission 25: Welcoming Committee
Fall of the Trident Mission 26: Union
Fall of the Trident Mission 27: The Well of Urd
Fall of the Trident Mission 28: Beneath the Surface
Fall of the Trident Mission 29: Unlikely Heroes
Fall of the Trident Mission 30: All is Not Lost
Fall of the Trident Mission 31: Welcome Back
Fall of the Trident Mission 32: A Place in My Dreams

Scenario 1: Close to Home

The Golden Gift Mission 1: Brokk's Journey
The Golden Gift Mission 2: Eitri's Journey
The Golden Gift Mission 3: Fight at the Forge
The Golden Gift Mission 4: Loki's Temples

[This message has been edited by Melth (edited 12-25-2018 @ 09:52 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Melth
Mortal
posted 14 May 2017 02:59 PM EDT (US)     31 / 82       
Well if you impatient fellows can find someone to pay me to do this stuff full time, I could probably do the whole game in a couple of weeks : P

In the meantime though, I just finished moving across the country and I've got my new job starting in a few weeks so my schedule should stabilize soon. Probably that means I'll be able to keep up the fortnightly update schedule I've had for the last several months.
Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 17 May 2017 00:21 AM EDT (US)     32 / 82       
Mmmh, no moneys yet _____________

Also I wanted to show of my nice Veranda.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 05-17-2017 @ 00:21 AM).]

XLightningStormL
Mortal
(id: TheBronyKing11)
posted 23 May 2017 00:40 AM EDT (US)     33 / 82       
You might wanna point out that the Camelry (+War Elephant) is anachronistic (and that a generic horseman, or chariot infantry unit would be more accurate), the events in the campaign would theoretically occur in 1240 due to the appearance of Ramesses The Great's son Khaemweset (Called Setna in AoM for some reason) the setting of Troy, along with others (http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,29645,,all)

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
Melth
Mortal
posted 24 May 2017 08:06 PM EDT (US)     34 / 82       
Ah, you beat me to the stuff I was going to say about Khaemweset in episode 15 where he's playable.

Speaking of such things, episode 14 has been online since Monday but I finally have internet access to say that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3QotXQHtp4
XLightningStormL
Mortal
posted 29 May 2017 04:01 AM EDT (US)     35 / 82       
Forgot to point out aswell, but when you get around to "Watch That First Step" It should be pointed out that:

The reason why the Greeks are commonly seen with the Egyptian Catapults isn't due to designer's forgetting, assets being made, etc. NONE of that.

Originally all the civilisations shared the same base unit-type: Swordsman/Axeman, Spearman, Bowman, Skirmisher, Scout Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, Light Cavalry (which functioned as a mounted Skirmisher unit), Catapults, Ballistae and Siege Towers.

Sometime before release, ES decided to to divide the Catapult into the Egyptian and Petrobolos we see today.

The plan was to have a basic, shared human-line structure, unique myth units based on MAJOR GOD (since Minor weren't introduced until Early-Mid 2002 builds) Semi-Shared, rather than being fully/mostly shared (Isis according to the language.dll was supposed to have All Non-God Unique Technologies)

However they decided to scrap the shared aspect of the Human Soldiers, and thus everything slowly became what it was today, according to Greg Street (the main designer, who would later go on to do some WoW stuff IIRC) this was done to Separate AoM from AOE-AOE2, along with pushing some incentive to make them unique, thus making it more playable.

The Greeks got the Petrobolos late in development, but the Gastraphetes was the last non-campaign unit made for the game, before work on the Titans began, and because the current campaign was in development around August-October of 2001 (after the campaign of Misenus was removed, and he was replaced with Arkantos) and so by the time the Petrobolos was added, the design and AI of the campaign was already done, and thus ES didn't replace those Catapults with Petroboli.

In standard game development as well, the first level is always, or normally is the last one made, so this is why C2E1 uses Petroboli instead of Catapults.

The development is packed with information, but a lot of it is lost, so I am mainly the go-to guy for it.

Also apparently Arkantos is Greek for Bear.

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
Melth
Mortal
posted 07 June 2017 01:42 AM EDT (US)     36 / 82       
Fall of the Trident Mission 15: Let's Go

Work is keeping me busy. Once again I finished and posted this video on time, but couldn't actually say anything about it here!
Melth
Mortal
posted 26 June 2017 11:22 PM EDT (US)     37 / 82       
After numerous technical difficulties, here is the next chapter at last: Fall of the Trident Mission 16: Good Advice
Melth
Mortal
posted 09 July 2017 11:51 PM EDT (US)     38 / 82       
All you impatient skeletons on porches should be happy to see this update is on time!

Fall of the Trident Mission 17: The Jackal's Stronghold
XLightningStormL
Mortal
posted 10 July 2017 04:54 PM EDT (US)     39 / 82       
lmao thanks

Melth
Mortal
posted 25 July 2017 06:15 PM EDT (US)     40 / 82       
The next episode went up late last night. Definitely not this morning. That would be late.

Fall of the Trident Mission 18: A Long Way From Home
keyboard
Mortal
posted 03 August 2017 08:19 AM EDT (US)     41 / 82       
Thank you! It's worth waiting.

I am surprised that your strategies are very unusual and that you simply 'trick' the scenarios.
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 05 August 2017 09:59 AM EDT (US)     42 / 82       
I'm honestly surprised at how you played episode 12 at Titan difficulty. Haha!! I didn't even know there was an actual much easier way to accomplish that mission. xD Everytime on Titan difficulty, I did it the way the game expected me to do it and accomplished the mission in the nick of time, while losing all my army. :P

I'm curious to how you'll play the circe episode though, because I won the scenario on Titan difficulty using boar ajax and boar arkantos alone to destroy the gate, kill the hetairoi guards on the west part, sneak to the back of the fortress, kill Circe with the lightning bolt and kill the Nemean lions using the boar heroes and then destroy the fortress.

Honestly though, the lions were so ridiculously easy to deal with, it's not even funny. :P The fact that enemies don't notice the boar heroes and overlook them made the whole scenario so ridiculously simple to accomplish.

But I guess a faster way would be to convert the pigs into soldiers and use them to destroy the gate? And then use just the boar heroes to sneak to the back of the fortress? Could be possible really.

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 08-05-2017 @ 10:01 AM).]

keyboard
Mortal
posted 06 August 2017 09:40 AM EDT (US)     43 / 82       
I'm curious to how you'll play the circe episode though, because I won the scenario on Titan difficulty using boar ajax and boar arkantos alone to destroy the gate, kill the hetairoi guards on the west part, sneak to the back of the fortress, kill Circe with the lightning bolt and kill the Nemean lions using the boar heroes and then destroy the fortress.
I think you guys already cheated at high level. The scenario editors would've never expected at that
But I guess a faster way would be to convert the pigs into soldiers and use them to destroy the gate?
Might worth a shot. However we would have to deal with gate guards as well if we are choosing this way.
Melth
Mortal
posted 09 August 2017 11:31 PM EDT (US)     44 / 82       
Fall of the Trident Mission 19: Watch That First Step

I finished the next mission Sunday but finally had time to post about it. It's been a crazy week!

I am also curious about how I'll do the Circe chapter. This is my first time playing the campaign this way so most of these approaches are whatever I thought up on the spot.
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 17 August 2017 08:25 PM EDT (US)     45 / 82       
Might worth a shot. However we would have to deal with gate guards as well if we are choosing this way.
Tbh though, I was actually thinking of getting all the troops to destroy the gate that had the hetairoi guards asap, and when it breaks down, distract the hetairoi with those converted troops.

During that time, I'd get boar ajax and boar arkantos to sneak behind the fortress and use that trick I mentioned above. :P It could probably work, ya know.. Might even make the scenario end faster. :P

Honestly though.. The fact that the boars could kill the Nemean lions so easily is ridiculous. xD Heck, you could probably just use 1 boar to do the job. :P

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 08-17-2017 @ 08:26 PM).]

Melth
Mortal
posted 22 August 2017 10:49 PM EDT (US)     46 / 82       
Melth
Mortal
posted 04 September 2017 02:11 AM EDT (US)     47 / 82       
Here's chapter 21:

Fall of the Trident Mission 21: Old Friends

And I used labor day weekend to get a bit ahead, so now I have a buffer of one episode for the future
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 04 September 2017 02:49 PM EDT (US)     48 / 82       
Wow, that's crazy impressive!! :P
Completed in 7 minutes.. that's damn amazing.

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 09-04-2017 @ 02:49 PM).]

Melth
Mortal
posted 18 September 2017 08:40 PM EDT (US)     49 / 82       
Melth
Mortal
posted 09 October 2017 08:27 AM EDT (US)     50 / 82       
Well it took some time but I got the next episode done
Melth
Mortal
posted 23 October 2017 01:04 AM EDT (US)     51 / 82       
Melth
Mortal
posted 06 November 2017 10:14 PM EDT (US)     52 / 82       
Here's episode twenty fi- oh it's over.

Fall of the Trident Mission 25: Welcoming Committee
Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 07 November 2017 09:57 AM EDT (US)     53 / 82       
Yesss, a short one. o_o

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb
Melth
Mortal
posted 19 November 2017 08:00 PM EDT (US)     54 / 82       
Fall of the Trident Mission 26: Union

I'm switching my update day from Monday to Sunday, but all is otherwise unchanged!
King_Hollywood
Mortal
posted 24 November 2017 00:27 AM EDT (US)     55 / 82       
Cool that you would do this
Legendary Raider
Mortal
(id: avaget)
posted 28 November 2017 01:55 AM EDT (US)     56 / 82       
these are great! I'm binge-watching these videos since I found out about them. looooove the myth stories and aom lore talk!
Melth
Mortal
posted 28 November 2017 09:03 PM EDT (US)     57 / 82       
Glad you like them!
Melth
Mortal
posted 10 December 2017 12:57 PM EDT (US)     58 / 82       
Melth
Mortal
posted 25 December 2017 02:05 PM EDT (US)     59 / 82       
Back to bad missions after a one chapter slog of good ones!

Fall of the Trident Mission 28: Beneath the Surface
Melth
Mortal
posted 07 January 2018 01:13 PM EDT (US)     60 / 82       
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames