You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.82 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » Folstag ate the Extended Edition and hurled Titan Difficulty into the river: A "Let's Play"
Bottom
Topic Subject:Folstag ate the Extended Edition and hurled Titan Difficulty into the river: A "Let's Play"
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Melth
Mortal
posted 03 February 2017 11:25 PM EDT (US)         

Hello, everyone. I've begun a video series of Age of Mythology's campaigns which I think some of you will enjoy. But first...

A Word About Me:

Grandiloquent.

A Few More Words About Me:

Although I'm completely new to this forum (pleased to meet all of you, by the way), I've been playing and loving Age of Mythology since it came out. It was the first RTS I ever played and got me into the genre for life.

All these years later, it remains my second-favorite RTS after Warcraft 3.

I was delighted to suddenly find out a month ago that it had a new expansion, and I decided to play through all the campaigns on Titan difficulty again.

I've been making Let's Plays (Some quite acclaimed on the SomethingAwful forums) of strategy games for about two years, but all of the screenshot variety. Serendipitously, I'd been thinking about trying my hand at making a video Let's Play for the first time just when I heard about the Extended Edition.

Since I had no experience making or editing videos at all, the first few were very rough, but I started with the little-known tutorial campaign for that very reason. My more recent videos are good enough that I think they're ready for folks outside my established fanbase.

About This Let's Play:

As in all of my Let's Plays, the focus of this one will be going through the campaign on the highest difficulty. I'll often throw in extra challenges too- sometimes speedruns, sometimes zero-casualty runs, sometimes other things that sound fun for that particular mission. However, one restriction I'm going to stick by is that I must complete all mission objectives in order. This nixes a lot of the quickest speedrun possibilities as well as several exploits on buggy campaign missions which can be trivialized otherwise.

My videos are intended for people who've never played the game as well as lifelong fans, so I'll explain a lot of basics everyone here already knows.

For that matter, I'm sure I'm nowhere near as good as most of you.

However, I'll be going quite deep into the game's more hidden mechanics over time and I've done a lot of empirical testing of them with interesting results, so some of you might still learn an interesting thing or two.

Besides strategy and how the game works, I'll examine the way the story and characters are presented- as well as talk about the game's relation to real-world history and mythology.

Between all that and my beautiful voice, I hope there's something here for everyone.

Table of Contents:

Tutorial Mission 1: Hunt for a Killer
Tutorial Mission 2: Pleasing the Gods
Tutorial Mission 3: Uninvited Guests

Fall of the Trident Prologue & Mission 1: Troubled Sleep & Omens
Fall of the Trident Mission 2: Consequences
Fall of the Trident Mission 3: Scratching the Surface
Fall of the Trident Mission 4: A Fine Plan
Fall of the Trident Mission 5: Just Enough Rope
Fall of the Trident Mission 6: I Hope This Works
Fall of the Trident Mission 7: More Bandits
Fall of the Trident Mission 8: Bad News
Fall of the Trident Mission 9: Revelations
Fall of the Trident Mission 10: Strangers
Fall of the Trident Mission 11: The Lost Relic (and Egyptian tutorial)
Fall of the Trident Mission 12: Light Sleeper
Fall of the Trident Mission 13: Tug of War
Fall of the Trident Mission 14: "Isis, Hear My Plea"
Fall of the Trident Mission 15: Let's Go
Fall of the Trident Mission 16: Good Advice
Fall of the Trident Mission 17: The Jackal's Stronghold
Fall of the Trident Mission 18: A Long Way From Home
Fall of the Trident Mission 19: Watch That First Step
Fall of the Trident Mission 20: Where They Belong
Fall of the Trident Mission 21: Old Friends
Fall of the Trident Mission 22: North
Fall of the Trident Mission 23: The Dwarven Forge
Fall of the Trident Mission 24: Not From Around here
Fall of the Trident Mission 25: Welcoming Committee
Fall of the Trident Mission 26: Union
Fall of the Trident Mission 27: The Well of Urd
Fall of the Trident Mission 28: Beneath the Surface
Fall of the Trident Mission 29: Unlikely Heroes
Fall of the Trident Mission 30: All is Not Lost
Fall of the Trident Mission 31: Welcome Back
Fall of the Trident Mission 32: A Place in My Dreams

Scenario 1: Close to Home

The Golden Gift Mission 1: Brokk's Journey
The Golden Gift Mission 2: Eitri's Journey
The Golden Gift Mission 3: Fight at the Forge
The Golden Gift Mission 4: Loki's Temples

[This message has been edited by Melth (edited 12-25-2018 @ 09:52 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Melth
Mortal
posted 21 January 2018 01:14 PM EDT (US)     61 / 82       
Myths and lore abound as poor Gargarensis tries to survive 20 minutes against me:
Fall of the Trident Mission 30: All is Not Lost
Legendary Raider
Mortal
(id: avaget)
posted 21 January 2018 03:13 PM EDT (US)     62 / 82       
new video! at last I love these
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 22 January 2018 05:13 AM EDT (US)     63 / 82       
I was waiting for missions 29 and 31. Glad to see you're still uploading these videos.

I was also surprised that you did a very different strategy in mission 29 compared to what I did in my approach. xD All I did was get my heroes to the north and just blitz the whole path on the way to the hammerhead. I didn't even bother to get any gold, just kill the ox cart and focus the dwarves on the tree. But your strategy also worked fast too. :P

I'm curious to what you'll do in mission 31 though. I tried to speed-play the whole scenario and completed it in just under 7 minutes. But I'm curious if you'd be doing a similar strategy to what I did though.

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 01-22-2018 @ 05:31 AM).]

Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 26 January 2018 10:27 PM EDT (US)     64 / 82       
Awww! Now he'll never upload it until he beats your record of "just under 7 minutes" :O

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 02 February 2018 11:57 AM EDT (US)     65 / 82       
Awww! Now he'll never upload it until he beats your record of "just under 7 minutes" :O
Oh dear.

Well, since he hasn't uploaded the video yet, I'll probably just post the strategy I did on this scenario - but I do think there's an even faster way to finish it though. Anyway, I'll use this map just to make my description a little easier.

All I did is head to (2a) and build a TC, while getting 1 villager to build an armory. I immediately advance under Apollo. Meanwhile, I take my warships to destroy the pentekonter at (4) and immediately destroy the fortress there using my unloaded army to free the prisoners. There'll be a scripted earthquake GP there, but it's no big deal. The ships then move to (1) with all my transports - one of them carrying the prisoners from (4)

I then get my scout to the walls surrounding the eastern (3) to script the lightning storm GP and sacrifice it, while waiting for 15 secs for it to be over. I then lure the enemy heroes to attack one my valkyries while storming the rest of my army to destroy the temple (whilst invoking restoration) and free the prisoners in that area. By this time, I'm already at heroic age under apollo, so I immediately invoke underworld, targeting the (3) that's nearest to (2c), destroying the towers to free the prisoners.

I then just go to (2c) and just proceed at the edge of the invaginated coast just under (2c), where the transports will go, guarded by the warships (not too north though - as scylla surround that area). Then I just transport the prisoners and I win the game, in around 6:57 seconds.

I think a faster way though, is to just invoke underworld as soon as the prisoners at (4) are rescued, and target the top (3) in the map and then just proceed to the (3) below where the hydras are, and then just go to the nearest coast - this way, you don't have to wait 15 secs for the lightning storm to be over. But I haven't tried this yet, so I'm not really sure.

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 02-02-2018 @ 12:07 PM).]

Melth
Mortal
posted 04 February 2018 01:15 PM EDT (US)     66 / 82       
Yeah, that's a pretty good approach but mine is a good deal faster.

Fall of the Trident Mission 31: Welcome Back

It would be possible to do it faster yet in a few ways, but I'm pretty satisfied with this one.
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 08 February 2018 08:49 PM EDT (US)     67 / 82       
^ Wow. That's amazing.
Really awesome approach, man.

Never even thought it could be done that way. xD
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 09 February 2018 01:27 PM EDT (US)     68 / 82       
can't wait 'till the final one!

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
Izalith
Mortal
posted 10 February 2018 03:07 AM EDT (US)     69 / 82       
Waah, TAG, spoilers!

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Melth
Mortal
posted 18 February 2018 09:05 PM EDT (US)     70 / 82       
Next one will be a week late unfortunately, I had some technical issues. I've just finished the recording so I can say that it's going to be pretty awesome.
Melth
Mortal
posted 25 February 2018 10:13 PM EDT (US)     71 / 82       
Here's the final mission at last!

Fall of the Trident Mission 32: A Place in My Dreams
ArnulfFloyd
Mortal
posted 23 March 2018 12:17 PM EDT (US)     72 / 82       
Thanks Melth for your awesome Let's Play, because I've learn many tricks regarding AOM main campaign, maybe someday you can make a Let's Play with one of many custom campaigns from here

[This message has been edited by ArnulfFloyd (edited 03-23-2018 @ 01:36 PM).]

Melth
Mortal
posted 15 April 2018 12:02 PM EDT (US)     73 / 82       
I'm back! And so is Reginleif!

Scenario 1: Close to Home

We're an unstoppable team.
Izalith
Mortal
posted 15 April 2018 01:34 PM EDT (US)     74 / 82       
Even without you buffing her with Aurora Borealis! Well, I'm glad the runs continue. I never even heard of this map. The game is so old and still you learn sth. new every week.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Legendary Raider
Mortal
(id: avaget)
posted 15 April 2018 01:36 PM EDT (US)     75 / 82       
yea boi
Melth
Mortal
posted 29 April 2018 06:21 PM EDT (US)     76 / 82       
Brokk and Eitri star in their very own prequel campaign, based even more loosely on the only myth they appear in!

The Golden Gift Mission 1: Brokk's Journey
Melth
Mortal
posted 13 May 2018 09:01 PM EDT (US)     77 / 82       
Skult wasn't telling the truth? You can't trust anyone!

The Golden Gift Mission 2: Eitri's Journey
Melth
Mortal
posted 27 May 2018 05:44 PM EDT (US)     78 / 82       
Unfortunately I can't post the next episode today. I've been trying to make it for weeks, but the game has become unplayably laggy for some reason. I've tried changing all the graphics settings around and nothing has helped.

Anyone have any ideas?
Melth
Mortal
posted 17 June 2018 05:06 PM EDT (US)     79 / 82       
I'm back!

The Golden Gift Mission 3: Fight at the Forge

Between technical difficulties and AI bugs, this mission has been nearly unplayable, but at least it's over with.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 17 June 2018 08:42 PM EDT (US)     80 / 82       
I think that tends to happen when theres alot of people online

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 25 December 2018 11:36 AM EDT (US)     81 / 82       
Get hyped people!

Check out my YouTube
Melth
Mortal
posted 25 December 2018 11:40 AM EDT (US)     82 / 82       
Merry yuletide, everyone, I've had time to finish a new episode with my usual brilliance!

The Golden Gift Mission 4: Loki's Temples
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames