You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.51 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » War Elephants
Bottom
Topic Subject:War Elephants
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 02:42 PM EDT (US)         

Quoted from the forums, long ago:

Games with elephants are better than games without elephants

War-elephants were among some of the most beloved units in the Age series. It's great to see them back, with a rider and a box (aka "tower").
Some thoughts about them:
- it seems like the rider "spanks" the elephant with his stick to make them move and attack:

- they have no tusks, so their attack will probably be trampling the enemy.

- Finishing move: It will be cool seeing them picking an enemy human-unit with their trunk and throwing him away .

- In the previous Age game, the war Elephant was the largest and strongest land unit. In AoM, on the other hand, they have larger and probably stronger competitors: MUs such as giants, hydras, etc. I wonder how will the elephant deal with them...
And will they still have their "juggernaut" reputation?

- In AoE/RoR, the Egyptians had war-elephants. Did the Egyptians actually used WEs in their history/mythology?

- I wonder whether they have a trample damage.

- With all the expensive&powerful MUs in the game, I hope the priests/monks will be ballanced the way they won't convert WEs in few secs and make them inefficient. (personally, I hope there will be no convertions in the game)

- Will we see Elephant Archers in the game?

- Notice the difference between the elephants in the screenshot, and the elephants in the ES site (the one in the top of the post). Their armour looks different: one have bronze armour, the other has brown armour. The box look different also.
An upgrade? Art change?

What do you think?

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect

[This message has been edited by Last_Knight (edited 04-01-2002 @ 02:57 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 10:38 PM EDT (US)     31 / 51       

Quote:

elephant chariots

lol

nothing would be more historically incorrect than that....

Antonious_Andronikos
Mortal
posted 01 April 2002 11:48 PM EDT (US)     32 / 51       
Thanks for the enlightening info ES_Deathshrimp. I can argue that Ptolemies weren't really egyptian, but that's besdies the point...elephants we want and elephants we shall have.
Last_Knight
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 00:26 AM EDT (US)     33 / 51       
Never knew about the pigs thingy, DS

Quote:

Hmmmm will the war elephants be turned into pigs with that GP too? or will all the people turn into pigs and scare off the elephants?

LOL

I think they brought the pigs to make the battle equal: if the army with the elephants win, it's pork tonight. If the army with the pigs win, it's elephants steak for the whole town .

... an elephant fighting a giant man... that would be interesting...

The Last Knight
Grasshoppers are cheap, nutritious, tasety,Kosher and easy to dissect
Real
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 05:52 AM EDT (US)     34 / 51       
Well, we didn't care much about historically incorrect things in AoC, 'cause it still looked good.And this though AoC was a completely historical game.I only was unhappy about the american infantry and siege weapons, and this only 'cause this didn't look good for them.

But this ellies look good for the eggies, what do I say, very good!So no one will care!*wants to see a moving and attacking ellie*

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
mighij2
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 06:25 AM EDT (US)     35 / 51       
Ptolomy was the succesor of Alexander the great and came to power after his death
he wasn't even an egyptian but a mecedonian greek

the franks didn't have knights, the french did did
franks is a germanic tribe that first conquered belgium then france ,franks are the ancient french
the original franks were more like the goths then like the franks in AOK

shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 02 April 2002 10:19 AM EDT (US)     36 / 51       

Quote:

Hmmmm will the war elephants be turned into pigs with that GP too? or will all the people turn into pigs and scare off the elephants?

what about the rider?
will he turn pig as well?

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
Real
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:33 AM EDT (US)     37 / 51       
Maybe only he: A pig riding an elephant.

Or better: he AND the elephant: a little pig riding a huge one!

I just imagined how it would look if ellies fly through the air 'cause of one of the throwing MUs.

open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
Cyclops
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:35 AM EDT (US)     38 / 51       
You know what would be real funny if there was 3 armies, greek, egyptian, and norse al fought against eachother in a war.

The greek army would have an army of all hoplites and one hero, the egyptians would have an army of all War elephants, and the Norse would have an army of axthrowers.

The greeks hero could do the pig curse on all the Norse troops. Then order the Norse pigs to run in front of the egyptian war elephants causing them to retreat. Then after the egyptian retreat the greeks would eat the pigs.

SWEET Im gonna try it

Real
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:43 AM EDT (US)     39 / 51       
No, hereos do NOT cast gps anymore!!

Cyclops
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:48 AM EDT (US)     40 / 51       
R U Series Damn, ah its alright, wait but who does it then.

Anyway then instead of the idea of a hero doing the GP put whoever else in that could do it.

Real
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:50 AM EDT (US)     41 / 51       
YOU can do it.

So with you in!

Cyclops
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 10:55 AM EDT (US)     42 / 51       
OK

Whoever reads what I said above should disregard whatever I said, because I probably don't know what im talking about.
pyrom_fabolus
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 11:09 AM EDT (US)     43 / 51       
I like this elephant idea that ES introduced. I don't think that people will just be able to flood the place with elephants, because there is a Greek god power, which turns all enemy units to pigs.... And after we have been told what happens to elephants when they face pigs....? I don't know, or will these pigs only be for food?
Cyclops
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 11:14 AM EDT (US)     44 / 51       
I think pigs are player contrallable so you will be able to move them around like sheeps of aoe2.

But you don't know there are people that could make an army of war elephants like 20-30 though.

Whoever reads what I said above should disregard whatever I said, because I probably don't know what im talking about.
keet
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 11:59 AM EDT (US)     45 / 51       
Elephants afraid of pigs....that is interesting.

I used to always wonder why the elephants would seem shy away from me and my X-girlfriend when we were at the circus.
I guess them eles really are afraid of pigs.

Some say death is the end ; I say it is just the beginning.
Bernardo
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 01:21 PM EDT (US)     46 / 51       
Elephatns afraid of pigs? Hmmm incredible but I don't thin ES would apply this to AoM.
XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 05:57 PM EDT (US)     47 / 51       
The mesopotamians, i dont think that Elephants really strive in their climate, they are either in Africa or in India... mesopotamia is a little too hot for them, so mesopotamia is still all good

If Eles are afraid of Pigs, what are pigs afraid of?

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
lief ericson
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 08:20 PM EDT (US)     48 / 51       
The butcher.

SEXITUP.
Former Leader of the FPH Clan
Acting-President of AoMH
tHe fReAk
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 11:37 PM EDT (US)     49 / 51       

Quote:

the franks didn't have knights, the french did did

Charles Martel, who was the Mayor of the Palace (a.k.a ruler of the Frankish Kingdom), was the guy who came up with (or at least implemented) the concept of a heavily armed and armored cavalry unit as a vassal (king's boy), who fought for the king in return for a plot of land, which is known as a fief. Basically the Franks started the whole knight thing and feudalism.

tHe fReAk

"It would be very irresponsible of me to give you my thoughts as you are clearly incapable of handling the ones you already have." - Wulfhere
"There's too many people in this thread who should have been shot in the face a long time ago." - The Outlaw Torn
BrazilianRaider
Mortal
posted 02 April 2002 11:51 PM EDT (US)     50 / 51       
I don't think the pigs scaring elephs will be aplied to AoM. Think in AoK terms: how would you feel with your army of persian elite war elephs couldn't get into the enemy's town because he has sheep near his TC!?
IV1066
Mortal
posted 03 April 2002 00:27 AM EDT (US)     51 / 51       
Although it will make for fun times in the scenario editor... chasing elephants around with pigs. Oh, that just gave me the most cool idea for a trigger! You can give a unit an attack bonus against another unit, so you could make the pig do 60 damage to elephants, but still be a mere pig to villies.

Call me Hal, ok?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames