You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, That AoM Guy

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.36 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » First day with AoM, what will you do?
Bottom
Topic Subject:First day with AoM, what will you do?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Dagobert
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 11:42 AM EDT (US)         
Sorry if some other thread exist already on that subject, I checked superficially only and found nothing. If it exists, it is old. I knew that some related discussion occurred in a thread on a different topic, I don't remember where exactly.

The long and interesting thread about RM versus DM (started by DeadlyDentures) made me think that I might ask what we expect to do when we first play the game. RM or DM?? Team play or 1 vs 1?? Multiplayer or single player?? Type of map ??

Here what I did when I got AoK followed by what I plan to do when I'll get AoM :

AoK :

I played a single game, 3 vs 3 on rivers (I was frank and rivers was a new type of map then), the comp was on medium. It was a RM game. By the way, my team won but it was a long game.

AoM :

I will also play a single game. Probably 3 vs 3 vs 3 (including all civs, a greek team, a norse team and an egyptian team). It will be RM. I'll be either norse or greek, may be simply Zeus to get fast the feeling of MUs and myth techs that need favor. I'll try to use one of the new maps. Can't say if I"ll win this time, but against the comp I hope so... I'll put it on medium again, to have a decent opponent who know how to play but who is still weak enough for me to spend half my time gazing in wonder at the screen, half the time actually playing and still win it.

Ŕ la guerre comme ŕ la guerre

[This message has been edited by Dagobert (edited 05-23-2002 @ 11:42 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
WhoAskedU
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 11:47 AM EDT (US)     1 / 36       
AoE (and RoR):

I went into the scenario editer, built every possible unit, and then had a huge battle!

AoK (and AoK:TC): I went into the scenario editer, built every possible unit, surrounded by all the unique wonders, and had a huge battle.

AoM (And AoM:XPac ): I will go into the scenario editer, build every unit, surrounded by EVERY unique building in the game, and have a huge battle!

At my signal unleash HELL.
God Bless America, Land of the Free!!!
•••winner of "2002 AoM Forum's Coolest Name Award"•••
•••••••Another Fabulous Post by WhoAskedU!!•••••••
People just complain about other people's Signatures because
they aren't smart enough to make their own.

[This message has been edited by WhoAskedU (edited 05-23-2002 @ 11:48 AM).]

Dagobert
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 12:10 PM EDT (US)     2 / 36       
Oups, I just found a thread on the same topic. Not that old, merely 12 days. It was by blaze_aqua. But I don't think I posted in that one which explains that I didn't know about it. Didn't find it with the search using the words "first day" but I tought of doing another search with the only word "when" and I found it close to the top.

You can still answer this one to revive the subject. Or answer to the other one. Anyway we all wait for Day AoM and we surely have plans about it and something to tell others...

I suggest you to answer to this thread as it contains many precise sub questions : what type of game, DM or RM or else?? Single player or multiplayer ?? Which map?? Teams or 1 vs 1?? Game or scenario?? Which culture?? and so on...

Be as precise as you wish, even if we all know that between May and October we have plenty of times to change our mind...

[This message has been edited by Dagobert (edited 05-23-2002 @ 12:14 PM).]

Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 12:32 PM EDT (US)     3 / 36       
RM multiplayer, 4 player ffa. Just to explore the game with other newbies like we will be. Then after that I will dive into the scenario editor, followed by playing the campaign.
Chris654
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 12:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 36       
Single Player,
Death Match,
AI = Easy
Starting age = VERY first one.
Explored map.

Reasons:

Single Player, Easy AI = So I can get a change to explore the my new game

Death Match = So I can build the new units right way!

First Age = So I can see exactly, hands on, what I get at each age, how I progress, how long units take to produce, their attack, hit points, upgrades (cost and research time), etc...

Explored map = I will select on of the new maps, reveal map means I can see it without exploreing, BUT still leaves the fog on so i can see how much LOS each untit has... Sad aint I?

After doing that with all 3 civs a few times, I will hit the senario editor to have some battles... By then I should be calm and not so hyperactive, and will be able to play a few steps into the campain, then off to multiplayer

Real
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 12:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 36       
random map (or maybe something ŕ la highland, one of my favorite AoC maps ) , single player, dunno how much enimies, maybe 1 ... high ress. ... very easy...hugest map (to not die too early)

Where's paradise?...............AoM is....In war there're only loosers!
Paradise is in your heart - ..gonna come! Love is the soul's blood!
open your heart and you'll be in paradise!..There's no uncertainty, there's only hope!
What's the difference between a raven?...What's yellow and hangs in a tree?
Nothing...its legs are both equal, all about the right one!...=> A blue couch!
Real may say he leaves...but be sure, he'll come back!
Dagobert
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 01:06 PM EDT (US)     6 / 36       
Some of you are more precise than me, let me add this :

size of map : the biggest (with 9 players and with the intention of playing long enough to discover many things right from the first game)

normal mode (not explored, nor all visible, simply because this is my usual way to play)

starting age : the first one. I want to see everything from the start in chronological order.

What will be the funniest parts of the beginning of this first game??

1) simply gaze at the new gorgeous graphics
2) explore with Pegasus (if I do Zeus)
3) get mad at my villagers who refuse to build a house as suggested (HCCC, .BE what? where is the house? Didn't know I was Hun, oups!! forgot I was norse, where is the ulfsark now??) (You understood, that is in the case I am norse)

Gawain
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 03:26 PM EDT (US)     7 / 36       
Ugh. Not another one of these posts.

I'm just waiting for some to say:

"I'll rip open the wrapper, lick the box until it disintegrates, encase the remnants in carbonite, frame the manual, use a butter knife to open the cd case wrapper (don't want to damage the jewel case), use felt gloves to insert the cd into the newly cleaned cd-rom, and then [insert exact movements and exact settings to be used while playing]."

XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 03:39 PM EDT (US)     8 / 36       
I will die on the drive home from the store and at that last concious moment I will realize that I have wasted the last 10 months in AOMH.

On that sunny October day:

6:00 a.m. wake up and go bact to sleep
7:00 wake up again, curse, and rush to get ready for school.
8:00 arrive at school
8-3:40 do school like things
4:00 arrive home and do homework
6:00 drive to store to get game
6:40 get game
7:00 get some take out food
-
*time period I will be more likely to die than the rest of the year combined*
-
7:30 arrive home with the game.
7:40-45 Recieve a lecture on why I shouldn not miss dinner
7:50 finally sit down to finally play AOM
*3 days later*
6:00 a.m. Finally collapse from lack of sleep *and finally finishes the take out food*

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
Anubis1812
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 03:51 PM EDT (US)     9 / 36       
IF that day ever comes, I'm having a LAN with friends. 16 of us are gonna be in my basement for over 24 hours learning the game together, developing strategies, and having an all around good time. the reason i got so mad about the date being moved to september, when it was previously set to this spring, was cause i wanted to have this LAN be on the last day of school, and had been planning it. oh well. the day AoM is to be released, WILL come.

Free Palestine
Zakthegreat
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 03:55 PM EDT (US)     10 / 36       
i will install game, and party AAAAAALL nigth long (play AOM)

0 0 0
1st place in Norse Mythology Quiz (BrandNewCar's)(the hardest one of the 3)
Owner of 3D Studio Max
Loyal to Ensemble Studios
I am Loki
U.S.A., AOM, ES, HG RULE!!!!
Imperialarc
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 03:56 PM EDT (US)     11 / 36       
heh, yea, I was kinda of bogged down by that. I wanted to play AoM over the summer without the stress from school but oh well, if its being released in October then its being released in October(unless they push back the date even further but that would be fine, school would keep me busy).
vladimir87
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 03:57 PM EDT (US)     12 / 36       
I will play the campaigns til I get stuck. Then I will have a few rm/dms with the pc. then its MP time..

-Vladimir87

Moony
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 03:58 PM EDT (US)     13 / 36       
That sounds like a great idea.

My sig version 2.3!
Recipient of the Age of Mythology Multiplayer Test
Templar of FPH Clan
Devotee to the Norse
Uber-atheist
Obsessive compulsive perfectionist

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 04:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 36       
Well back in the times of AoE, i had this bully of a brother, and he wouldn't ever let me play. So i watched him most of the time. He sucked. Really bad. Not that much later i got a computer of my own. I installed it, and played it. I got good, playing mostly 1 vs 1 single player. I could beat the computer on hardest . Just run in with abunch of helepoliss and tear 'em up!

In AOK, i think i played amultiplayer game against my brother. That worked out well, since it was both of our first times.

By the time the Conquerors came out, i could just about kick all my friends butts in AOK. My brother wasn't interested in playing me anymore, so i played a new civ, like the aztecs, and perfected them.

I can still kick their butts.
Damn brother doesn't even like games anymore

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
dragons89
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 04:50 PM EDT (US)     15 / 36       
First, I'll play the learning campaign.

Then I'll mess around with the scenario editor.

Then I'll do the best thing; a random map game, me being Greeks or Norse.

Give me money, and I might feel generous enough to say something kind.
--My The Ultimate AOK Guide--
--My The Ultimate AOM Guide
eskay
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 05:13 PM EDT (US)     16 / 36       
I'll probably do the same as dragons89...but I'll try not to get too deep into the campaign, as I've never found them particularly enjoyable myself...maybe it'll be different this time...

One thing's for sure, I'll be sure to play a multiplayer or two as soon as possible, while I still have a chance at winning

-SK

Clarissimus
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 05:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 36       
I will go into the scenario editor and figure out the stats for every unit. Then I will start playing the campaign and thinking up strategies for online multiplayer. Hopefully I will be able to play online mutliplayer, but I doubt it *sadi*

"It may come as a shock to you . . . You can have fun and be serious all at the same time."
deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 05:34 PM EDT (US)     18 / 36       
i left out what i'd probably do for AOM

I think i'll just play single player game.
After i play a few times, i'll go into the scenario editor and mess around with units and compare them, make them fight each other.

Stone_Giant
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 05:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 36       
Scream really loud

Stone_Giant

eskay
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 05:45 PM EDT (US)     20 / 36       
Actually, knowing me, I'll probably read the manual cover to cover before and while installing...maybe twice if it doesn't go fast enough

-SK

deadlydentures
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 05:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 36       

Quote:

Scream really loud

lol

i will probably be bouncing off the walls.
And cursing at my computer because the install seems to take sooooo loooong. Seconds last like minutes.

Brown_Rice_
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 06:03 PM EDT (US)     22 / 36       
Hmm that's a good question. I don't know if I will go straight to multiplayer or what. If so I will probably look for a big team game on the zone or maybe a LAN game with some friends if anybody else gets the game as quickly as me. But more likely a zone game or a single player if I really have to. Culture=Greek! God=Zeus or Hades!

Hm... upon further thought I am just going to have to go with Stone and dentures on this one!

Dagobert
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 07:24 PM EDT (US)     23 / 36       
I told you what I would do as soon as the game is installed.

Forgot to tell you what will happen between the moment I buy it and the moment it is installed.

I will be in such a state of mind that I can't make any predictions about that and I will surely forget it very fast as well. I just hope that it turns out well and that I don't wake up with the wrong game, or worse with the good game but badly damaged because of a bad move (putting the disk in the toaster, taking a bite out of it, forget it on a shelve in the store (after it has been paid so that anybody could just walk home with it), ....

I will probably stop at a temple for a short paryer, greek style, to get God favor. I'll need it to be in control... But, hopefully I will not try to get it the norse way.

I don't know if you have access to computers in a canadian prison, but I suppose that if yes it will be an Apple II or a Commodore 64. AoM probably won't work on them, even if they work in team...

BiO
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 07:34 PM EDT (US)     24 / 36       
I will go straight to multiplayer and start with rm and if i dont like it a whole lot ill go back to my beloved dm unless it sucks worse then i wlll prolly move onto a different game...
XCrash_Fish
Mortal
posted 23 May 2002 08:35 PM EDT (US)     25 / 36       
I will also get so many speeding tickets the county police will know me by name!

Oh, and I will take out my video card and shoot it, several times... then I will go to a gun shop buy more ammo, go back home and keep shooting it while AOM gets installed.

Oh, and when All that and the far above is done, I will go into the editor build a bunch of minotaurs and Cyclops and then build a bunch of villies and then I will Unleash much SUFFERING!!!!

I will follow up on the above with a Ice and fire giant deathmatch! that will be interesting...

Then I will find out how to play AOM! lol!

In other words, You wont find me around here for a few days! What a shame! lol!

Anything stupid this forumer has said should be bypassed for today, because tomorrow is the last day of labor camp... I mean school!

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--
The only reoccurence in every AoM games you lose, is you.
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 23 May 2002 09:09 PM EDT (US)     26 / 36       
the first thing ill do when i get AOM from the store...is open the box on the way home then install come on ppl u cant just start playin when the box aint even opened

Spitfire
HG Alumnus
(id: spitfire_23)
posted 23 May 2002 09:30 PM EDT (US)     27 / 36       
I will go into the editor and spend the following hour finding out how it works, read the game manual, create all objects, work out some new eye candy, play a one on one with Greeks, and then collapse from lack of sleep.

_________________.##@@$$$@@##._____________
______________,##@$::%$$%%::$@##.__________
____________#@$:%%000000000%%:$@#_________
___________#@$:%00'___________'00%:$@#_______
__________#@$:%0'_______________'0%:$@#______
_________#@$:%0__________________0%:$@#_____
KatanaSwordfish
Mortal
posted 24 May 2002 00:01 AM EDT (US)     28 / 36       
Multiplayer/RM/Biggest map, water, trees, lots of new terrain and Gaia....

something to check out all the aspects of the game...

AmericanaThorFez
Mortal
posted 24 May 2002 00:45 AM EDT (US)     29 / 36       
I'm gonna make a guy with all greek units and him be greek and then the same with eggies and norse and im gonna be norse and its gonna be fun!
ps guess what? TOMORROWS MY B-DAY! may 24 ill hit the big 13!

(>" )>Proud Templar of the Flying Purple Hippo Clan! <("< )
::: FPH_Martin'sAward for the funniest lyrics:::
I ated the purple berries!They taste like buuuurning!~Ralph Wiggum~(8^(*)~Homer Simpson
"The sun?? Oh no! That's the hottest place on earth!"~Homer Simpson.
I came here to kick arse and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum!
c r e e z y
Mortal
(id: Hairy Scary Man)
posted 24 May 2002 00:51 AM EDT (US)     30 / 36       
u young'n

now back to your regular scheduled topic

[This message has been edited by Hairy Scary Man (edited 05-24-2002 @ 00:52 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames