You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.28 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » How many 'game types' in AoM and what are they?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How many 'game types' in AoM and what are they?
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 12 October 2002 08:30 AM EDT (US)         
AoK:TC had 6 game types...RM,DM,regicide,KOTH,wonder race,defend the wonder. How many such game types are there in AoM?And what are they?I do hope it`s not only RM and DM.And now that AoM has gone gold,i think it`s time we knew this.So, what are the new game types in AoM?

I was flying over a greek town burning trees,buildings and soldiers;until i saw the monster with snake hair...
I AM THE ONLY STONED NIDDHOG CURRENTLY IN EXISTENCE.
1+1=2
AuthorReplies:
dragons89
Citizen
posted 12 October 2002 09:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 28       
ES Confirmed a type of regicide mode, and they said they were planning to have much more gametypes than in aok:Tc, so I don't think u need to worry about that.

Give me money, and I might feel generous enough to say something kind.
--My The Ultimate AOK Guide--
--My The Ultimate AOM Guide
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 12 October 2002 09:11 AM EDT (US)     2 / 28       
pls answer ES,we need to know this.
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 12 October 2002 09:12 AM EDT (US)     3 / 28       

Quote:

ES Confirmed a type of regicide mode, and they said they were planning to have much more gametypes than in aok:Tc, so I don't think u need to worry about that

I sure hope you are right.
petard_rusher
Citizen
posted 12 October 2002 11:58 AM EDT (US)     4 / 28       
There is no "regicide" mode in the beta, but it is easy to make a custom RMS with regicide as its victory condition.
Nightwolf2k
Citizen
posted 12 October 2002 03:28 PM EDT (US)     5 / 28       
Regicide was my favourite in AOK it was more enjoyable than starting with masses of rescources and just slugging each other to death. Its only my and my friends opinions though. We always play(ed) lan every friday 3 vs 3 on Regicide those were the good times.

NiGhTwOlF leader of the SWP (Shadow wolf pack)
Winner of most deadly forumer award.
Soon to be AOM champion ofAucklandWORLD.
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 02:24 AM EDT (US)     6 / 28       
So aren`t there any new types?
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 07:33 AM EDT (US)     7 / 28       
Lets hope ES doen`t reduce the actual no. of game types under the pretext that there is a map type like KOTH which acts like a different game type.
Berserk Shrew
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 07:38 AM EDT (US)     8 / 28       
The ones we know of are:
Lightning (like turbo in AoK)
Deathmatch
Random Map
King of the Hill?

"Ooh... I'll have to think. With me head." Denise Royle
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 07:45 AM EDT (US)     9 / 28       
What`s lightning?
Matei
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 09:00 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28       
Lightning is a version of the game where resources gather faster, techs research faster, and units train faster for all players. It makes for very quick and action-filled games.

On the screenshot with the map types and names, we can see a King of the Hill map type and Nomad.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 11:08 AM EDT (US)     11 / 28       
Yeah,but those are map types...there was supposed to be something called golden fleece,what happened to it?It sounded really cool.
TheSmurfster
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 11:17 AM EDT (US)     12 / 28       
What we know:

Random Map:

Supremacy (Win by destroying all enemy units/buildings, capturing all Settlements, Capturing all relics [I think], or Wonder Victory).
-and-
Conquest (Win by destroying all enemy units/buildings).

Lightning: (Gather and training rates are through the roof, similar to Turbo mode of AoK).

Deathmatch: (Start with tons of resources, age advances take less than a second, and access to GPs are delayed by a few minutes upon advancing).

Regicide-like game: (ES has said they will put in a mode similar to Regicide in).

Nomad: (OK, not really a game type, but it's in!)

Golden Fleece was removed, I don't think it would have been too popular anyway though.

Speculation:

I hope there's a Last Man Standing mode (For Shimo!!!). There should also be a KOTH-type mode, and probably 1 or 2 economic-only modes for those SimCity types (aka Wonder Race).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple of oddball, golden-fleece-type modes either.

Bouncer Says:

"Have A Nice Day!"

StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 11:36 AM EDT (US)     13 / 28       
there really should be some cool game types...it says in the features section of AoMH that there are 13 game `variants`.what`s this supposed to mean?ES,we would really appreciate some input here.
And i hope u r right about the oddball-types,Smurfster.
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 13 October 2002 11:51 AM EDT (US)     14 / 28       
KOTH shouldn`t have been a map type...it was much cooler as a game type because of the effects due to map variation.

I was flying over a greek town burning trees,buildings and soldiers;until i saw the monster with snake hair...
1+1=2
The_Avenger772
Citizen
posted 14 October 2002 05:24 AM EDT (US)     15 / 28       
that means there are 13 types of gameplay: supremacy, conquest, deathmatch, lightning, and a few others, including one similar to regicide.
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 14 October 2002 07:43 AM EDT (US)     16 / 28       
hmmm...

1+1=2
ES_Bigdog
Immortal
posted 14 October 2002 01:35 PM EDT (US)     17 / 28       
It depends on how you count...

There are 4 game types that are playable on any map type:
* Supremacy (standard VC, includes settlements and wonders)
* Conquest (beat the **** out of someone)
* Deathmatch
* Lightning (Same as Sup, but lots faster. Very fun)

There are a great many of map types that play differently, such as:
* Nomad
* King of the Hill
* Sudden Death (this is the "Regicide"-ish one)

Given the power of the RM system this time and the polarized view on whether or not things like KOTH are fun or not, we decided to take those VCs and move them to RMs. That said, if you play KOTH 3 times, you're likely to get 3 very different maps that all play differently. But, the cool thing is that now you can play KOTH normal style (Sup or Conq), DM, or Lightning. That's more options than before, actually.

I'm sure some enterprising scripter will also go KOTH-ify all of the other maps we have and put the "Uber KOTH" RM so that you can play KOTH on any map type.

dave

petard_rusher
Citizen
posted 14 October 2002 03:06 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28       
Remember, if you want a different victory condition you can make one for yourself, so there is in effect hundreds of different possible victory conditions if peopele take the time to script them .
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 15 October 2002 02:30 AM EDT (US)     19 / 28       
That way there were more game types in AoK:TC!I thought AoM would have more...And i`m no RMS scripter,so i won`t be able to script any new types.
petard_rusher
Citizen
posted 15 October 2002 02:31 PM EDT (US)     20 / 28       
i'm sure most sites, including AOMH, will have places where you can downloads RMS. There will probably be hundreds of custom RMS released after just a few months, so you dont have to worry about making your own if you dont want to learn
RF_Gandalf
Citizen
posted 15 October 2002 03:33 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28       
Actually it has taken a couple of years to get the approx. 450 random maps posted to the AOKH Blacksmith, and given that the random map scripting for AOM appears much more complicated I doubt that we will see as many as were made for AOKTC. Of course, the ability to add triggers into RMS may increase interest, but I will bet that most creative people will limit themselves to making scenarios/campaigns.
petard_rusher
Citizen
posted 15 October 2002 04:47 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28       
I said all websites, not jsut AOMH. Also it was just an estimate, not a real number, but still there will be many made very quickly. Also, AOM RMS is no more complicated than AOC RMS, in fact it took me way lees time to learn basic AOM RMS than it did for AOC (though experience wit RMS threw AOC and EE probably meant i learned it faster than most.) I just printed out Alfheim RMS anylized what it did for about 30 minutes than went and made my own map, which was an islands map.
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 16 October 2002 09:39 AM EDT (US)     23 / 28       
Petard, aren`t you an expert at RMS?
petard_rusher
Citizen
posted 16 October 2002 10:48 AM EDT (US)     24 / 28       
umm, i know how to write RMS, but i deffinitely wouldn't say i'm an expert. RMS is much more about making cool looking maps or fun maps than it is knowing a set of commands. I know how to make RMS, but i don't usually put in the eye candy that many people like. (I have no artistic talent whatsoever, I make maps that i think would be fun to play on, not maps that would look cool, but it seems more people like the cool looking maps with tons of eyecandy than the do mine )

If you want an RMS 'expert than Gandalf is much better than i am at makign what people want. There is a large difference between knowing the RMS commands and making a map that people like .

[This message has been edited by petard_rusher (edited 10-16-2002 @ 10:50 AM).]

Myth_Pharoah
Citizen
posted 16 October 2002 11:09 AM EDT (US)     25 / 28       
Well RMS might not interest every one and not every ones very good at it, but I know one guy whos is interested in it and is good at it too. Matei, a guy here made an RMS for AOKTC I think called "City on the lake" and he got a 5.

........................./ Myth_Pharoah \.........................
Woad Creations | fluidCORE | SCN Network
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 16 October 2002 12:54 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28       
Will you actually be able to script game types?the triggers seem to add some awesome possibilities...Imagine a map in which it is always raining,or one in which lightning bolts randomly strike...or one with tornadoes...*drools*
petard_rusher
Citizen
posted 16 October 2002 02:47 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28       
i ahve made maps in which there were random tornados spinning thoughout the map, but aparently random tornados don't kill anything . Maybe if you make be set as a GP cast by the gaia player than it would work, but the tornado object itself doesn't. Kinda funny to see 5 tornados sweep over your town and do nothing . But its also kinds cool that you are probably able to make it so they can kill stuff if you want, but random disasters on a map is not good for most play, though it would be really funny in a shimo game to see gaia blow the crap outa the enemy army sieging you
StOnEd_niDDhoG
Citizen
posted 17 October 2002 00:46 AM EDT (US)     28 / 28       
i really wish there were more proper game types,tho...
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames