You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A Guide to the Dryad
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 21 February 2004 03:54 PM EDT (US)   
A Guide to the Dryad

After a close poll last week, the Dryad just managed to creep up to the top spot, making it the subject of this week's guide. Having to cast a God Power to get these units makes them quite unique, and I'm sure we've all seen them walking and screaming around the battlefield. But can these tree-nymphs (or drag queens as some call them) actually cause an opponent some real harm?

Let's look at their stats:

Cost: 150 Gold, 0 Favour, 0 Pop Spaces
HP: 275
Speed: 4.50
Crush armour: 99%
Hack armour: 40%
Pierce armour: 50%
Hack damage: 15

Special attack: None
Special ability: None
Only 5 may be owned by one player at a time

Weak, light, moderate speed with no real special attacks or ability. But just look at how cheap these things are! The only heroic MU that can match how cheap it is in terms of resources is the Scorpion Man (150 Wood), but in terms of favour and pop, it cannot be beaten.

Sure it's mega cheap, but just how strong is it? Let's see how it does against a Greek Hoplite

NOTE: All units have been upgraded with Medium and Heavy line upgrades and Copper and Bronze armoury upgrades. All buildings have been upgraded with the Masons and Architects upgrades. Any other upgrades will be stated

All attack rates are tested per hit, not second. The Dryad attacks every 1.5 seconds, so it's base hack attack each hit is 21.5, which has been rounded up to 22.

Test 1: 1 Dryad vs 1 Hoplite (Zeus)

Dryad does approximately 12 damage to Hoplite per hit.
Hoplite does approximately 8 damage to Dryad per hit

Dryad kills Hoplite in 18 seconds with 146 HP left

Interestingly, the Dryad only just managed to do worse than the Satyr. No real shocks or surprises here, although it did manage to lose quite a large proportion of its HP.

Now, I had quite a problem with running some of these tests, in terms of making them as fair as possible; because the Dryad costs no pop, how can I make each side balanced? I've decided (for the purpose of these tests alone) to make the Dryads equivalent to 3 pop spaces. This doesn't affect in game battles and games in any way, it is just a way of working out how many units to use vs so many Dryads

Test 2: 3 Dryads vs 3 Chariot Archers (Set)

CA stats:
HP: 108
Speed: 5.00
Range: 20
Hack armour: 43%
Pierce armour: 35%
Pierce damage: 11

Dryads win with 2 still alive

Not really a surprise here. When there's a battle between myth units and human soldiers, then myth units should win.
Luckily for Oranos and Gaia players, we don't have another Satyr on our hands, and the Dryad at least seems to do as expected for a cheap, Heroic myth unit. But also, we don't have another Heka-Gigantes which out-performed even itself.

Because these units are so versatile, just how do they do against buildings?

Test 3: 1 Dryad vs 1 House (Thor)

House stats:
HP: 495
Crush armour: 14%
Hack armour: 30%
Pierce armour: 95%

Dryad does 16 damange to house per hit

Dryad takes 47 seconds to destroy house.

Maybe not the fastest building killer in the game; certainly by the Scarab, Behemoth and Heka-Gigantes standard. Still, it's better than the ranged units, and sending 1 Dryad to attack a building isn't really going to help you very much. But what about more than one of them?

Test 4: 5 Dryads vs 1 Palace (Kronos)

Dryads take 50 seconds to destroy the Palace

You see, when massed, they can take down a building with as many HP as a Palace in approximately the same time it takes for one to destroy a house.

From my experience of using Dryads in games, They're useful to aid in an attack on an enemy base. Once their army is out of the way, send Fire Siphons with the 5 Dryads to pick off any lurking villagers or milita while the rest of your army heals or moves on to another base. They may not be the game's most powerful unit, but any unit that costs 0 favour and no pop spaces must be good for something.

Just don't forget how easily they die to heroes, particularly with that low HP. Also remember that if your opponent takes the Hesperides Tree, they can also create Dryads, so have some heroes ready

Further Notes:

The Dryad defeats all human units with Heroic upgrades one on one except:
Jarls
War Elephants

The Dryad is defeated by all heroes in the Heroic Age except for the priest; although it was very close

The Dryad is defeated against all Heroic MUs. They also lose to all Classical MUs (excluding the Caladria}. This is due to its weak HP and lack of a bonus against other Myth Units.

Dryads can be affected by Mythic Rejuvination (they will regenerate HP) and Celerity (they are quicker to train from the Hespiredes Tree.)

If Dryads are owned by other civs they can be affected by:

• Eclipse
  • Monstrous Rage
  • Thurisaz Rune
  • Rampage

If the Tree is owned by Kronos, they cost 135 Gold instead of 150 due to his cheaper MU bonus.

Dryads are affected by:

• Medusa Stone Gaze
  • Perseus Stone Gaze
  • Mummy's Minion Change
  • Argus' Toxic Acid
  • Lampades' Chaos
  • Frost Giant's Ice Breath

Suggested Usage

Mainly for army support. Using them alone in a battle is just suicide and a waste of gold. An even battle between Atlateans can quite easily decided if you use these Nymphs correctly. Although they die miserabley to heroes, they make nice general melee units; you could pretty much call them human soldiers if it wasn't for the fact they fall to heroes so badly.
    I'd say use them to harrass an enemy's buildings, especially houses. 5 Dryads should manage to take down a few before the heroes come along, and they certainly won't fall to villagers as bad as Fire Siphons do.
    Particularly for Gaia who doesn't receive a single siege bonus, along with Theia's Contarius, you could do some pretty severe damage to your opponents buildings while they're not looking.

Saying that, they're main usage is not siege; Dryads can do pretty much anything - including raid, although they'd be a little slow to run away if a hero comes along. Use them for backup, siege, raiding or just a diversion to draw out your enemy's heroes while you send in the Stymphalian Birds or Behemoths. Just try not to waste them - sure you won't be using up favour and pop space, but 750 gold is a heck of a lot to waste if they just get slaughtered.

Use your head - don't just train Dryads because you can and you think win with them; after seeing you've just worshipped Theia, your opponent should be expecting to see some Dryads, and will probably perpare for them. And like most MUs in AoM, Dryads need micro; if you keep them away from heroes and attacking the weaker units, you should be fine.

Conclusion

The Dryad is not an amazing unit; and for only 150 Gold, it shouldn't be. They're excellent support units, just don't expect to win because you have a few crazy=haired trees walking around.

Against Greece: If you manage to get the heroes away from the Dryads you should be ok using them. Target the archers with your Dryads leaving your army to take care of the infantry and cavalry
    Against Egypt: Raiding with Dryads against Egypt is your best bet. Priests are slow and if the mining camp isn't being empowered by the Pharaoh, you could cause them some real annoyance. Other than that, go for the slings and weak infantry units.
    Against Norse: Not being ranged, and being quite slow, Jarls and Hersir can take down Dryads easily. Use them against weak buildings such as houses, and try and bring down their ox-carts with the Dryads.
    Against Alantis: Atlantean heroes can't be re-made too often, or your opponent is going to run out of resources. And because the Dryads cost no favour, you can keep producing them to harrass normal human units whilst your opponent focuses their heroes on the "stronger" MUs like Heka-Gigantes and Argi.

Cheap, quite weak and strange looking (not to mention sounding); the Dryad seems to fit in with the Atlantean culture quite well, and can certainly help win you clinch close battles. They may not defeat your opponent by themselves, but they can definitely help your army to do so.

Thank you for reading guys.
    I will be taking a short break from guide writing, and will return soon to carry on. ManticoreKiller will be handling the Greek and Norse Myth Units, which leave me to do do the Egyptian and Atlantean ones.

Please vote for whether I should carry on with the Atlantean guides, or the Egyptian guides

EDIT: Oh BTW, my old name, ArtemisChimera kinda went a little screwy and I can't get into it anymore, so I re-created as the same name I use on ESO for less confusion

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
    Favourite Major Gods: Isis, Hades, Gaia, Loki, Ra, Thor

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab, Petsuchos
    And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades, Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War, Dryad, Automaton

[This message has been edited by ChimeraArtemis (edited 02-22-2004 @ 07:28 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 21 February 2004 09:30 PM EDT (US)     26 / 68  
    Good guide man. After your short break, i would like to know about Nereids, wich i belive are OP.

Play my Scenarios:
    GraveBlood

NeoMutation 2
    NeoMutation
    Myr_Enforcerer----------------------------------------------1800 (Greek)
    dw_wb------------------------------------------------------17xx (Smurf)
    posted 21 February 2004 09:36 PM EDT (US)     27 / 68  
    Attie first and do argus
    posted 21 February 2004 09:40 PM EDT (US)     28 / 68  

Quote:

i would like to know about Nereids, wich i belive are OP.

Why do you think this? I never get them used on me

VergiL
    The Fora Augusta
    "Hey bastards, knock knock" - Sarge
    "Ha, piss on that, I'm bringing a ma-cha-te!" - Putman, Club Dread
    posted 21 February 2004 09:58 PM EDT (US)     29 / 68  
    Nereids have a bonus against water myth units, but that's pretty much it I think.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
    posted 22 February 2004 01:13 AM EDT (US)     30 / 68  
    Another well done guide by ArtemisChimera/ChimeraArtemis.
    I vote Egytians after your break.
    posted 22 February 2004 01:57 AM EDT (US)     31 / 68  
    I vote Automaton

Nick: Eten.
    Gods: All of them!
    Vanilla.
    posted 22 February 2004 02:34 AM EDT (US)     32 / 68  
    I vote for automaton

http://aom.hsc.be

Check my site out
    There will be soon many content

posted 22 February 2004 03:11 AM EDT (US)     33 / 68  

Quote:

Test 2: 3 Dryads vs 3 Chariot Archers (Set)

CA stats:
    HP: 108
    Speed: 5.00
    Range: 20
    Hack armour: 43%
    Pierce armour: 35%
    Pierce damage: 11

Dryads win with 2 still alive

Not really a surprise here. When there's a battle between myth units and human soldiers, then myth units should win.

CA's own dryads easily no contest. You did this test with no micro on either side, which is rarely the case past 1700. When I use ca's I'm constantly microing them back and forth, baiting, raiding, and beating up on powerful, slow units with a pack of fast-moving horse archers. When there are 2 eles in my base and I got 10 tox, I move my tox around, garrison them in tc, and let them out in the opposite direction, so I win easily. This test is simply off imo.

Quote:

The Dryad is not an amazing unit; and for only 150 Gold, it shouldn't be. They're excellent support units, just don't expect to win because you have a few crazy=haired trees walking around.

I completely disagree. It's a myth unit that is cheap, costs NO POP, and costs no favor. This means that you can constantly spam them, forcing an opponent to use an extra amount of pop on heroes, while you use no pop for your dryads. Dryads are o/p in my opinion due to the fact that they're 0 favor and 0 pop... It's just insane to face them and waste 9 pop on 3 hersir while he's smacking up your armory with 9 pop for 4 katas :-/

Good guide, but all in all, dryads own a lot more than you portray them to.

I vote for the atlanteans, with the automaton, for your next guide.

[This message has been edited by Einstein_006 (edited 02-22-2004 @ 03:12 AM).]

posted 22 February 2004 07:00 AM EDT (US)     34 / 68  
    Very nice guide, those little buggers usually drive me insane, I vote on the Egyptian MUs.

Member of the Orion Clan
    Orion_Schwartz
    posted 22 February 2004 07:26 AM EDT (US)     35 / 68  
    Egyptian - 8
    Atlantean - 18

For those of you who voted for a Myth Unit (e.g the Automaton) I've taken it to mean Atlantean, or from which ever culture the MU is from.

Quote:

But i wouldn't mind Scorpionman ( i can't figure out how to use this unit).

I've actually already done a guide to the Scorpion Man (see sig), but I could do a re-evaluation.

Quote:

So, don't let you be fooled to believe that Dryads are weak. In reality they are a valuable addon to your forces and SHOULD NOT be compared with ordinary myth units.

No, they shouldn't be compared to other Myth Units. But "officially" it is classed as a Myth Unit and is affected by myth techs and killed by heroes. Although, I agree, they are not "regular" MUs, and I did try to bring this point across.

Quote:

If you have gold, there are ABSOLUTLY NO REASON not to build your five dryads. Five extra units are really nice.

Yes they are, but if your opponent has massed priests or Jarls, you've just wasted 750 gold which could have been spent on upgrades, military units and a Palace.

Quote:

You should really compare Dryads to Mercenaries IMO.

Yep that's actually quite true. They're pretty much the same apart from the MU part.

Quote:

CA's own dryads easily no contest. You did this test with no micro on either side, which is rarely the case past 1700.

I'm aware of this P3N3M4. I always do a test with the Myth Unit(s) against archers just to see how it varies from against infantry. Any group of archers that is faster than a melee unit will win every time with micro. This was purely a statistical test.

Quote:

It's a myth unit that is cheap, costs NO POP, and costs no favor. This means that you can constantly spam them, forcing an opponent to use an extra amount of pop on heroes, while you use no pop for your dryads.

750 is actually quite a high proportion of the gold you should have. If you have enough to train 5 more Dryads after that, WHY aren't you spending it on upgrades? Also, massed priests and ranged heroes can take them out so easily it's not funny, and as said before, so can archers. Sure you're not wasting any pop space, but you've just wasted 150 gold. No matter how small, a waste is a waste if the Dryad hasn't managed to attack anything yet.

Although I hear what you're saying, by all means if you're at the pop limit and have plenty of gold, keep making Dryads, just don't become to complacent that they will certainly win the game for you.

ESO user name - ChimeraArtemis
    Favourite Major Gods: Isis, Hades, Gaia, Loki, Ra, Thor

Creator of the Egyptian Myth Unit Guides - Phoenix, Wadjet, Scorpion Man, Scarab, Petsuchos
    And the Atlantean Myth Unit Guides: Stymphalian Bird, Satyr, Lampades, Heka-Gigantes, Man O'War, Dryad, Automaton

posted 22 February 2004 08:45 AM EDT (US)     36 / 68  
    Excellent guide!

I vote for the Nereids

The Earth can satisfy our need
    but She can't satisfy our greed
    So use only wat u need
    for nobody can tame our Mother
    when She's angry
    posted 22 February 2004 08:54 AM EDT (US)     37 / 68  
    Why don't you just do eggy and atlantean together? When you have the poll just add in all eggy and remaining atlantean MU's.
    posted 22 February 2004 10:28 AM EDT (US)     38 / 68  
    ^^^

thats a good idea, i vote for that.

if thats not possible my vote goes to the atlanteans

posted 22 February 2004 10:33 AM EDT (US)     39 / 68  
    Well, it's a matter of taste I guess. Yes, 750 gold is quite a lot and Dryads die fast to heroes...

...but still, forcing your opponent to build heroes ís really annoying for him. Heroes are expensive too remember! If you opponent is massing Priests you should defeat him easily with your army. If he is massing Hersirs or Jarls you can use your Dryads to strike somewere far away from battle while you are attacking with your main army.

My advice is, make use of your Dryads! Upgrades should be invested in when you are at maximum pop. And you know what heroic minor god path you are choosing. Just move a villie or two to gold during the transition time and you will have enough for your screaming trees. Trust me, they are well worth it.

[This message has been edited by Graback (edited 02-22-2004 @ 10:38 AM).]

posted 22 February 2004 11:25 AM EDT (US)     40 / 68  
    Do ya think the nidhog dragon could win vs 3 of em cause nidhog every1 knows that its a powerful god power.
    posted 22 February 2004 11:58 AM EDT (US)     41 / 68  
    Of course Nidhogg would win because Dryads can't attack Nidhogg
    posted 22 February 2004 01:05 PM EDT (US)     42 / 68  
    I vote for atties, do the promethean first please.

SUPERDROIDEKA
    posted 22 February 2004 02:10 PM EDT (US)     43 / 68  
    continue with atlantians. Do the automatan next.
    posted 22 February 2004 03:18 PM EDT (US)     44 / 68  
    Arrgh two weeks in a row fourth page, Autamaton again, seems my many bribes have been just as effective as Cruises last samurai.
    I'm not liking the way manticore stole the form of your guides and now your breaking, but it was a good formula..

Ex member of the good clan VnX
    Ex member of the better clan PW
    Applicant member for Orion
    posted 22 February 2004 03:57 PM EDT (US)     45 / 68  
    Great tread as usual chimera! I totally agree with your view on dryads - not very strong but worth making anyway because of pop and favor.

How about argus?

posted 22 February 2004 08:00 PM EDT (US)     46 / 68  

Quote:

Do ya think the nidhog dragon could win vs 3 of em cause nidhog every1 knows that its a powerful god power.

Yes, surprisingly, nidhogg beats dryads 1v3. Did you know nidhogg can kill 200 hoplites 1v200? It's an amazingly tough battle but he pulls it off.

posted 22 February 2004 08:31 PM EDT (US)     47 / 68  
    Rofl!

VergiL
    The Fora Augusta
    "Hey bastards, knock knock" - Sarge
    "Ha, piss on that, I'm bringing a ma-cha-te!" - Putman, Club Dread
    posted 22 February 2004 09:07 PM EDT (US)     48 / 68  
    lol ..

Great Guide Artemis!

posted 22 February 2004 09:21 PM EDT (US)     49 / 68  

Quote:

750 is actually quite a high proportion of the gold you should have. If you have enough to train 5 more Dryads after that, WHY aren't you spending it on upgrades? Also, massed priests and ranged heroes can take them out so easily it's not funny, and as said before, so can archers. Sure you're not wasting any pop space, but you've just wasted 150 gold. No matter how small, a waste is a waste if the Dryad hasn't managed to attack anything yet.

In heroic and later you should have a nice stockpile of gold and be near the pop limit with lots of upgrades. 8|

Cicero_
    The great numbers in which you are here met this day, O Romans, and this assembly, greater than, it seems to me, I ever remember, inspires me with both an exceeding eagerness to defend the republic and with a great hope of relenquishing it.
    -Cicero's Fourth Philippic [106 B.C.-43 B.C.]
    posted 22 February 2004 09:37 PM EDT (US)     50 / 68  
    Great Guide! I vote egyptian because eggy MUs are highly under-used. Has anyone besides me noticed that? oh, and if u do eggy, i vote for pestuchos, it seems pretty strong at range, but what about up close?

.o.o Counter_Master o.o.
    Independent Scenario Designer
    Current Project: Alexandria
    I don't got time for pain! The only pain I got time for is the pain I put on fools who don't know what time it is!' --- Terry Tate

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » A Guide to the Dryad
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames