Bottom
Topic Subject:Guide to the Ox Cart
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
deano3985
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 04:31 PM EDT (US)         
A Guide to the Ox Cart

by deano3985

Well it's about time that someone got into making a guide about the one unit most people take for granted, the Norse Ox Cart. This guide will cover the Ox Cart, which I think is the single most important Norse unit in the game.

The Unit

Ox Cart (Norse Archaic age Economic unit)
Drop point with capability to move on any passable land terrain
Available directly at the start of the game to players who choose Norse (Odin/Thor/Loki).
Have no upgrades
Loki gets 50% Cheaper, 50% Faster, and 25% less HP

Stats (Stats of Loki's Ox Carts with a breakup of how the bonus affects the original unit ):
HP: 180 (135 Loki's Ox Cart)
Hack Damage: 0
Hack Armour: 30%
Pierce Armour: 45%
Crush Armour: 99%
Speed: 2.90 (4.35 Loki's Ox Carts (That's uber fast.))
Special Ability: Can move from resource to recource, unlike other civs drop points, and can be used for dropping of ALL 3 resources.

Some important points to note-

1. Ox Cart do take 1 pop slot.
2. Damage dealt to a Ox Cart does not affect how much of the resources are actually receive (ex: if Ox Cart has only 90% of it's HP left, that doesn't mean you will only get 90% of your resources at that Cart.)
3. Fishing Ships can not drop off at an Ox Cart.
4. Ox Caravans can not drop off at an Ox Cart.

Bonuses: Is Mobile

Cost: 50F 50W 1 Pop (Loki: 25F 25W 1 Pop)

If you thought Odin and Thor Ox Carts were good, then Loki's are just uber. With his Cheaper cost, and better speed of course, it becomes an excellent economic unit. Although the HP decrease is a bit of a set back, it really doesn't affect it unless you let your opponent raid you. However, Odin and Thor can do something that Loki can never do with Ox Carts, as I will show you in my tests.

Tests
Note: all human units have full classical upgrades (Medium All and Copper All)

1. TA/Ox Cart vs Hippikon - 1 Zeus Hippikon (165 HP 12 Hack damage 18% Hack Armour) 1 TA (71 HP 5 Hack damage 37% Hack Armor): By Microing the Ox Cart in front of the Hippikon, I was able to bring it down to 17 HP before both the Ox Cart and TA died. However, When I ran 1 TA vs 1 Hippikon, the Hippikon won with 113 HP left!!! So the Ox Cart accounts for allowing the TA to take off just under 100 more HP than with out it. That's massive

2. Group Test (10 Ox Carts + 15 Medium Throwing Axeman vs 15 Medium Hoplites + 10 Medium Toxotes)
This test just stupified me. It was a massacre. The Ox Carts provided a meat shield to draw the Toxote fire while the TA killed off the Hoplites. Once the Hoplites were dead the TA picked off the Toxotes one by one. In the end, 9 TA survived. I ran a similar test, except with 25 TA with no Ox Carts, and the TA lost with 6 Toxotes remaining. Try it yourself.

In Conclusion, an Ox Cart meat shield can amplify the effectiveness of the weak TA. As you've seen the adding in an Ox Cart is more beneficial than adding in a TA in it's place, and more Pop effective.

3. Counter Test (1 TA + 1 Ox Cart vs 1 Chieroballista)
TA/Ox Cart won. This is amazing. I wasn't expecting results like this but I'm sure that this piece of information will definitely help me vs those Oranos and Kronos players. The Ox Cart Meat shield strategy definitely owns all.

Suggested Usage

You really don't need any suggestions to say that this unit must be used for its economic reasons.

Combat wise-

vs Greeks- Use along with TA for countering Toxotes. Also very good vs Hoplites in conjunction with TA.

vs Norse- Excellent vs TA. One Ox Cart can draw the fire of a whole group of TA, which can turn the tide in your favor.

vs Egyptians- MUs/Ox Carts is great. As Manticore said in his Valkyrie post, only use Valks with Human back up. Well here is your back up. Send in the Ox Carts and flank the priests, the Valk will own them before the Priests get a chance to retarget.

vs Atlanteans- I can't really explain how effective these are vs Chieros and Turma. TA actually beat Chieros and Turma when a Ox Cart meat shield is added. It's just priceless.

Conclusion
The Ox Cart is very underestimated, and it's usefulness far exceeds the fact that it's a mobile economic unit. It is an invaluable combat unit on the field, providing cover from ranged units for the vulnerable TA. And at 1 pop 50F 50W, you just can't go wrong. All I can say is that I hope this guide will help encourage you to think twice about whether to kill Ox Carts or Villagers in a raid, it may comeback to haunt you later on when he has 20 Ox Carts surrounding his TA from your Cavalry and forcing you to intensively micro your ranged units because they keep attacking Ox Carts rather than TA.

Vote-

Raven
Fishing Ships
Dwarves
Ox Caravan
Archaic Ulfsark
Archaic Hersir

I hope you enjoyed my guide and I hope you found it to be informative.

Have A Nice Day!!!

AuthorReplies:
NoRk
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 09:17 PM EDT (US)     26 / 48       
OMG THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER READ!!! I tip my hat to you old chap.
Toad
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 09:26 PM EDT (US)     27 / 48       
Funny stuff, I vote Dwarf
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 14 March 2004 09:27 PM EDT (US)     28 / 48       
Btw, my vote -

Set's Priest converted Ostrich.

I dunno. I was thinking that they were pretty Overpowered, what with their voices being so loud, annoying and all..

Okay, sorry..

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
deano3985
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 09:32 PM EDT (US)     29 / 48       
I don't know. Uber Archaic Ulfsarks are good. Odin can get ones that are 10% faster...
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 14 March 2004 09:41 PM EDT (US)     30 / 48       
You should really consider the Ostrich.

deano3985
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 09:56 PM EDT (US)     31 / 48       
Shiva I can definitely see you loved reading this post just as much as I enjoyed writing it hehe. I'm glad to see I got such a positive reaction
Matei
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 10:00 PM EDT (US)     32 / 48       
Shiva, you get to abuse HTML?

I vote the Llama Caravan. Gaia gets them 10% cheaper than other Atlanteans, and if the ox cart is that good in battle, then spamming Llama Caravans from 4-5 markets should be a killer. Plus, they cost only food, so they go perfectly with a Turma/MU combo. Furthermore, seeing an army of llamas has a proven psychological impact on an enemy. People are saying that Atlanteans may not be overpowered anymore, but who knows, with this kind of power and at such a cheap price perhaps they are...

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
Fwiffo del desierto
Mortal
(id: Fwiffo)
posted 14 March 2004 10:03 PM EDT (US)     33 / 48       
I second the ostrich.

Everyone got AIDS and shit
core4scoreormore
Mortal
posted 14 March 2004 10:13 PM EDT (US)     34 / 48       
HAHAHAHAHA. Hilarious. Gj.

thx 4 weitin this can i post it on the lg site?

however wouldnt sum1 micro the units onto the TA and then kill the carts?

ESO:core4score, Lg_CORE
RATING IN TT: 1700+
Member of Legend Clan

Hope_
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 00:32 AM EDT (US)     35 / 48       
I was being sarcastic .
Phil Jackson
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 01:22 AM EDT (US)     36 / 48       
the mouse
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 02:41 AM EDT (US)     37 / 48       
interesting this, could you make a pegasus guide?

will 15 pegs be usefull as meatshield v ta ??

peace and love.

age of myth have turned inte age of isis. sad but true

Defiler_of_INRI
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 02:49 AM EDT (US)     38 / 48       
The Medic Rush and Goliath + Dropship comes to mind.

Awesome guide!

Goddess_Gaia
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 03:36 AM EDT (US)     39 / 48       
Ravens pls...

The Earth can satisfy our need
but She can't satisfy our greed
So use only wat u need
for nobody can tame our Mother
when She's angry
Mithrandirdragon
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 04:49 AM EDT (US)     40 / 48       
Me want Dwarves. They should get Dwarven Warriors in the expack I would think. But oh wellz. =)

'Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Plato

'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.' -Bill Watterson, American cartoonist

NIB
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 07:16 AM EDT (US)     41 / 48       
Jesus deano, dont reveal to the rest the power of the oxcart rush. Now we will get ppl whining about it.

Btw you forgot to mention something that is actually pretty useful when using norse. You can map the guard button and then order your oxcart to guard a woodcutter or a hunter. That way, the ox cart will always be next to your villagers(thus less walking time and a more efficient economy).

ESO name : Relaxing

Eisai ellinas? Tote ela sto www.noobwars.gr.

Antz
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 09:31 AM EDT (US)     42 / 48       
Heh, nice little guide

I vote for Archaic Ulfsark for the next guide

The best clan ever is TOAO Clan!
tbarak
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 11:01 AM EDT (US)     43 / 48       
I am just not sure whether this or the guide to the sheep was more brilliantly inane.

Don't underestimate the power of the oxcart. When I first started I remember playing a game where my micro got really messed up because a bunch of my villies were raped by polar bears. I accidently queued up maybe six or seven ox carts and set a waypoint by the enemy's town by accident. The other player chatted to me asking about this "scary new oxcart rush strategy". This guide would have came in handy then I suppose.

But I have one criticsm about your guide- you failed to address whether or not the oxcart was O/Ped. A very gross oversight on your part.

I've never seen oxcart meatshields, but I have seen people crowd and mess up a titan's pathing with trade caravan units. Works well actually.

[This message has been edited by tbarak (edited 03-15-2004 @ 11:04 AM).]

jereth2
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 11:35 AM EDT (US)     44 / 48       
Absolutely priceless!!

Seriously, I don't think anyone would pay for this information ;-).

More seriously, I do have a real question for anyone out there:

I've seen the Ox Cart Guard villie trick mentioned a couple times. Is 'Guard' available in vanilla AoM? So far, I only play Norse, and this would VERY helpful to have. I've seen the user.con hot-key guide. Does this work in Vanilla at all, or only in TT?

Skele10
Mortal
posted 15 March 2004 12:25 PM EDT (US)     45 / 48       
roflmao that was funny do the raven im sure theyd be awsome meat shields and the atlantean villie, i maen cmon they can kill Egyption spearmen!

~Skele10~
phoenix141
Mortal
posted 04 April 2004 09:11 PM EDT (US)     46 / 48       
Ever played Bloodsport???

A norse player did summin v mean to me in that, all through the game he massed infantry so i had axemen, i won most rounds....

Then when iu got 6 rounds....he massedd like 20 ox carts and 10 ballistae....my atrmy was slaughtered simply because I COULD NOT CLICK ON THE BALLISTAE!!, oxes were everywhere i just couldnt see the oxes...he won the round, losing a few carts ARRRGH, i was so uttlery p*ssed at him for this n00bish/Genius strategy.

Death smiles on us all...all any of us can do is smile back.

Those who are brave, and live by the sword...get shot by those who don't

Highest ESO Raiting: 1738
Favorite God: Ra

Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 04 April 2004 09:22 PM EDT (US)     47 / 48       
Phoenix, stop bringing old threads to the top. This is your warning.

phoenix141
Mortal
posted 04 April 2004 09:27 PM EDT (US)     48 / 48       
Sorry shiva, forgot it was near the bottom, i should stop running through old threads out of boredom...maybe a rubics cube would be good.

Death smiles on us all...all any of us can do is smile back.

Those who are brave, and live by the sword...get shot by those who don't

Highest ESO Raiting: 1738
Favorite God: Ra

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames