Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.109 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy Discussion » Atlantean thoughts
Bottom
Topic Subject:Atlantean thoughts
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
BalanceFX
Mortal
posted 21 September 2004 11:00 AM EDT (US)         
Gaia

Strengths:

• Great booming capibilities.
  • Most defensive of the atlantean gods. Forested towers + Carnivora or Spider Mines allows for a fast heroic strategy normally with little or no troops.
  • Best economic choice. With all economic upgrades being cheaper you can get them sooner and easily out resource your opponant. Gaia's woods ALSO harvest faster with no upgrades making here ideal for wood heavy strats.
  • Tartarian Gate that heals itself is amazing. (If it does) Also can research Myth Regeneration granting her a titan that can hit and run to recover hps.

Weaknesses:

• SLOW starter. She needs to get her economic bonuses early or a second town center to really take advantage of her bonus.
  • Decent raiding will take away her early bonus.
  • Raiding is limited to Automation/Murmillo or Turmas. All are poor raiders under Gaia with Turmas being the best choice.
  • Most of her advantages: Trade carts, fishing ships have more hps/Lush/Autohealing building are for all intents and purposes, useless.
  • Channels allows villagers to move faster, but since Atlantean villagers dont move much to begin with this is generally useless.

Oranos:
    Strengths:

• All Human soldiers move faster. This is and excellent advantage. It allows turmas to be fantastic cheeseball raiders. Early game your Oracles get to where they need to be faster.
  • Between faster oracles and LOS to all Expansion town centers Oranos easily has the best Archiac scouting in the game. It is on par with greek scouting but not quite as good as Odin Classical scouting.
  • Shockwave. Devastating Archaic power. While easily defended against by putting your troops in a spread formation, few players do that. Shockwave can also disrupt a town center and allow your troops to kill the peons building it in a pinch, if your lucky.
  • Can take VALOR. A Huge weakness all atties have is vrs Myth. Valor mitigates that.
  • Sky passages. While generally not used it does have some fantastic uses. Destroyers are slow, Fire Siphons are slow. This can be used to move them quickly. This can allow Oranos to defend 1 location at a time with ALL of their troops and quickly switch back and forth.
  • Can take Helios. Helios allows you to make the best Siege in the game hands down. With 2 Mythic techs and a Regular tech for your fire siphons your siege is tougher and does an amazing amount of damage quickly. Helios also grants the power to teleport your troops. See a titan gate going up. Get LOS (Usually a contrarius is great for this, with speed and durability to get there.) Click teleport drop a few four armed buggers, some fanatics, some destroyers and 5 super fire sypons and that Titan gate is history.
    Weaknesses:
  • No notable economic/military upgrades.
  • Mythic tech affects Safe passages only and allows for essentially a weak tower.
  • Predictable early game.

Kronos:
    Strengths:

• Can teleport buildings. I often reorg my town occasionally to keep my enemy guessing. I normally build LOTS of Barracks and counter barracks to teleport as walls where I need them.
  • Deconstruct + Prometheans + Valor allows for a great Classical rush. If your forward base gets attacked simply move all your building back home.
  • Cheaper siege! Great bonus vrs infantry heavy civs.
  • Cheaper Myth Units! A great break in cost for myth units.
  • Can take VALOR. A Huge weakness all atties have is vrs Myth. Valor mitigates that.
  • Can take Helios. Helios allows you to make the best Siege in the game hands down. With 2 Mythic techs and a Regular tech for your fire siphons your siege is tougher and does an amazing amount of damage quickly. Helios also grants the power to teleport your troops. See a titan gate going up. Get LOS (Usually a contrarius is great for this, with speed and durability to get there.) Click teleport drop a few four armed buggers, some fanatics, some destroyers and 5 super fire sypons and that Titan gate is history.
    Weaknesses:
  • Mythic Tech helps Oracles move faster and see faster. Generally useless for the cost.
  • No economic bonuses.
  • Can't Take Hekate. This means Kronos is the only Attie without a regenerating titan, No Tart Gate which is considered one of the stronger Mythic god powers allowing you to both destroy buildings and release a virtually never ending assault at the targetted location.
  • Can't take Thei. So Kronos has no way to block God powers when building his titan gate. Can't get the five extra overpop Dryads which have the potential to change so many battles for atties. (Which is really to bad because they'd be cheaper under Kronos)

So theres my random Attie thoughts for the day. Oranos far and away looks like the best attie god 2 me, but I think we all already knew that.

• AuthorReplies:
    Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 03:36 PM EDT (US)     26 / 109       

youve used my sigs now its your turn. Wow oceanus...wow.

BalanceFX
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 03:42 PM EDT (US)     27 / 109       

Quote:

i just dont get why he doesnt admit atties are OP in that range...i admit it..Isis is OP im not saying shes not. However, atties(kronos/oranos) are indeed more OP then isis in the rating bracket i mentioned. Dont beileve me? There was a thread on AOTS describing the most OP list in that rating area and sure enough oranos and kronos won it....

Because atties aren't OP. They are, easier, for new players to get used to. AOM has a huge learning curve from other RTS and Atties help to bridge that gap.

Isis actually is OP. And its not by much either but its definitely noticeable. And you asked me if I know why everything is cheaper for eggies? I said isis, she gets a flat discount off the top of every tech, including aging. Eggies in general already have almost no cost with buildings to begin with, they just take longer to build.

Carwash if your trying to say Atlanteans are easier for new players to get used to I agree with you. If your trying to say their Overpowered I don't. What would you like to see in AOM? Different civs that have have different nerfs and bonuses depending on what your rating is?

And your comparing the Dryad Tree's God blocking power to Isis's monuments? The trees have a raidus of god blocking SLIGHTLY bigger then the tree itself. Probably 10-12. Isis Monuments are 40 and she gets them starting archaic. The Dryad tree is a heroic God Power. The trees can be taken over by anyone who has more troops around them. Comparing Dryads to mercs is silly too. A you get 2 kinds of mercs, Calvary and Infantry, Available immediately whereas dryads are not available til heroic and are limited to 5 at a time.

Whats Ragnarok and FW? Ragnarok and Fimblewinter? Thats a great combo in a Two player game. For most norse players its one or the other. Ancestors Eclipse with 2 sphinxes can be dropped at 6:30-7:00 in the game. Will easily drop an atlantean town center, disrupt their economy and give isis the time she needs to get to mythic and titan age.

Hell wait til 7:30-8:00 send 3 elephants, 10 Chariot archers, 2 priests, a pharoah, 2 sphinxes, 2 scorpion men and drop ancestors eclipse. GG in the range your talking about and it takes almost no skill and no micro and is easily repeatable? You want a RCX? I'll be home soon and I'll post one here. 1600-1700 range, and I bet my opponant, whoever it happens to be, won't stand a chance.

Quote:

youve used my sigs now its your turn. Wow oceanus...wow.

If you've been reading this thread you will see yesterday I played just idcams. I U/led all the games for ya. I play balance occasionally as well.

[This message has been edited by BalanceFX (edited 09-22-2004 @ 03:46 PM).]

G3_
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 03:50 PM EDT (US)     28 / 109       
    Look Carwash_II, your problem is maybe the play style. Some people like to attack asap, some wait until they have a good army, some wait for a good economy, etc... Many people even in the low 1700s range dont manage well when someone rush them or in other cases they don't do good vs raiding. Atties early economy allow to advance fast with enough to rush or raid. If one of those is your play style then you will not do bad with atties at that range.

If your playing style isn't good enough to simcity until migdol age then your rating will not go up fast enough when you play Isis. Most of the Isis players who know how to simcity usually aren't going to be in your range of playing. You will find many of them when you get near the 1800. Sometimes you will see someone posting something like: "I have made my way close to the 1800 and now I have to fight a lot of Isis players, how do I deal with them?".

At least, I never saw a post of someone saying, "I find a lot of atlantean players after I got to 1800+. How do I beat them?!". Some players say is because they are boring, but how people select atties in 31% of the games played on ESO? They say because they are easy, so noobs likes them and noobs lose a lot. If they are so easy then why those noobs don't win more and atties don't have the best win rate? Those noobs are playing with other noobs who are in their same rating range. There is no logic on why a civ is for noobs, or is too strong, or need no micro to win, have OP units, and noobs can't beat other noobs with them.

Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 04:04 PM EDT (US)     29 / 109       
    If your saying that eggy buildings cost nothing because they take longer to build your wrong. (someone fill this guy in)

Dryad trees are compared to monuments because they still are enough to protect the titan gate and its gonna be hard to take them over unless you destroy your opponents entire army because thats where it will be because hes protecting the titan gate.The main problem with isis monuments IS that it can protect titan gates. Mercs arent really used that much in classical because you jump right to heroic anyway and atties can get to heroic very fast with their turma and super-eco early on. Rag+FW(flaming weapons)...that is the most uber god power combo.

@G3 you never see anyone post that they see a lot of atty players 1800+ because theres virtually no one that posts here that is 1800+.Also, no 1800 player wants to be known that they solely play atty so by that rate, they just switch to another god or never post in forums as to avoid flaming...Also G3, you proved my point. Many people, even in the low 1700s (remember i said 1600-1720 is were atty is OP) have trouble dealing with rushes (which is why loki thrives in that rating bracket)However, you cant really use stats to prove anything since they are so distorted by smurfing etc.And loki isnt OP in that range because even though his rush is strong...it takes something called "skill" just as isis takes "skill" in that range. Atties in that range (1600-1720) dont take much skill. And i think every agrees with me now but balance for some weird reason. gg

Fenris77
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 04:12 PM EDT (US)     30 / 109       
    lol click ancestors click eclipse make 3 CAs gg.

That took a lot outta me

Rating: 1750

Check out my Bellerophon Guide and my Myrmidon Guide

Member of the TpC_ Clan
    Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 04:22 PM EDT (US)     31 / 109       
    ^^that wont work against any semi-decent player...a/e never finishes off your opponent unless hes an idiot.......
    Etendorf
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 04:38 PM EDT (US)     32 / 109       
    Atties are OP. If I can beat an opponet without hardly trying and even missing econ upgrades until late, late, classical, and they play a damn good game, I could only imagine what a person could do if he did everything right.

It isn't the Turma, it is their train times and great units that own everything.

Nick: Eten.
    Gods: All of them!
    Vanilla.
    Tordenskiold
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 04:48 PM EDT (US)     33 / 109       

Quote:

And loki isnt OP in that range because even though his rush is strong...it takes something called "skill" just as isis takes "skill" in that range.

Carwash, you obviously haven't checked the game statistics before making a statement like that. If you go to www.jeux-strategie.com,you can find winning % per rating, and in the 1600-1700 rating area, Loki has the best winning % of all Gods. The top 5 looks like this:

Loki: 52.0%
    Oranos: 51.9%
    Poseidon: 51.9%
    Thor: 51.8%
    Ra: 51.8%

Kronos and Gaia are way down the list, in fact, Gaia is the worst of all with a rate of 43% only

Surprisingly Isis only have 50.8% compaired to Ra 51.8% but not many people actually plays Egypts before 1800 rating.

TORDENSKIOLD(1690-1720)

During the Great Nordic War (1700-1720), he was commander of the danish navy, which defeaded the swedish army at Kristiania (modern Oslo). After the war, he was killed in a duel on Nov. 12, 1720 just outside Hamburg, Germany, during a travel to England.

ESO: TORDENSKIOLD
    Etendorf
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 05:02 PM EDT (US)     34 / 109       
    I'm am not saying anything about if win percent stats don't mean anything, I just want to mention that it should be remembered that there might be alot of factors going into what makes some gods have higher win % than others besides their strength(OP/UP). Especially when looking at them when they are in a certain rating bracket.

Vanilla.
    Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 05:07 PM EDT (US)     35 / 109       
    ^^as i said before stats means nothing. You cant call loki op in that range because he has the highest win % in that rating bracket. Its because at that range most people dont know how to handle a rush but that doesnt make loki op. His rush needs skill to execute and if you fail your screwed. If you rush with oranos/kronos, you cant really go wrong advancing with a uber-strong 4:30 and even if you fail, it takes no skill to recover because of that easily managed, strong eco.
    BalanceFX
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 06:09 PM EDT (US)     36 / 109       

Quote:

^^as i said before stats means nothing. You cant call loki op in that range because he has the highest win % in that rating bracket. Its because at that range most people dont know how to handle a rush but that doesnt make loki op. His rush needs skill to execute and if you fail your screwed. If you rush with oranos/kronos, you cant really go wrong advancing with a uber-strong 4:30 and even if you fail, it takes no skill to recover because of that easily managed, strong eco.

But the stats, For THAT bracket your talking about, put gaia at the lowest and Loki at the top.... Oranos is still pretty god though. I personally dont thing Oranos OR Loki is OP.

G3_
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 06:10 PM EDT (US)     37 / 109       
    Carwash, a civ can't be OP in a level range. I can agree with you if you say that Atlanteans are good to fight people who havent develop skills vs raiding and rushes and those people are mostly below 1700. If you have the skills to counter most of the rushes and raids then you will lose less to Atties. Calling Atties OP in 1600-1720 is like someone calling a civ OP just because they have no skill to counter a strategy. A civ is OP at every level or is played by the wrong guy like happen with Isis.
    Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 06:27 PM EDT (US)     38 / 109       
    a civ SHOULDNT be OP in a level range but es decided to make atties creative and noobish giving them a easy uber early on eco. That lets them execute a strong rush with little to no backlash if they fail. This is why atties/loki are stronger in the 1600-1720 range. (loki takes skill as i mentioned before)
    G3 you said yourself players have trouble dealing with rushes in that rate bracket i mentioned. Since people in that range have trouble with rushes atties are OP because you can be brainless and execute a very hard to stop rush. I havent even mentioned god bonuses yet. Oranos...3 times to use shockwave=3 battles easily one as long as you know how to focuse fire with turma on the dazed units :/. This is been said many times in the past and ill say it again. With atties, you can make so many mistakes and still pull a win without breaking a sweat.

here are the final nails in the coffin .

"atls arent that storng just easy and on a good map (no close gold for op.) are a guaranteed win, isis is the strong civ - but it alot harder to be good with" quoted from
    its decayed from 1900 but still serves my purpose .

also, balance, youve seen a lot of isis players in the top 10 but no atties...heres another quote.

" i think there arnt attis on top 20 because noone wants to play this noobi civ"

[This message has been edited by Carwash_II (edited 09-22-2004 @ 06:52 PM).]

Etendorf
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 06:57 PM EDT (US)     39 / 109       
    In support, I think it is best not to veiw a civ as OP or UP based on how easy or hard it is for them to do something, since the potiental is still there. But if a norse player makes only one minor mistake and plays proactivly, and the atlantean player makes quite a few mistakes and isn't doing anything specific, the atlantean player shouldn't win, but they do.

Atlanteans are OP, and so are eggies, it's just that atlanteans are easier to play than eggies, IMO. Both of them have more potientail and more room for success most of the time. But like I said, it doesn't really matter balance wise if they are easier to play or not.

Vanilla.
    Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 07:02 PM EDT (US)     40 / 109       
    "Atl too strong + too easy inearly game and if they keep the advantage = easy titan with op eco, but late game they need hero help."

another quote that supports what i say .

^^agrees with etendorf

Fenris77
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 07:59 PM EDT (US)     41 / 109       
    Carwash stop making a fool of yourself and posting rating of people you have never met. I admit that atties are op'd to a certain extent, but after the 14:00 mark if you aren't dead by then you should be killing them.

And anyways, those expert are thw whiniest bunch of losers on the planet. They can never take a loss and complain to everyone and blame it on eso instead of their lack of skill. Let's take a look of what's Nemesis has to say about Isis, shall we?

'Ok I played a lot of games of Thor vs Isis recently and this is what I have to say.

Prosperity is overpowered. It allows them to FH with a huge econ, bigger than mine and I didnt even spend the 1300 resources needed to FH! Then they can make 2 tcs and midgols and boom while spamming units.

Lower prosperity time by 5-10 seconds I think, its strong enough!!

Next, Hathor. Hathor is stronger than nephthys vs norse. Norse have no ranged hero, making petsuchos incredibly strong, and rocs impossible to take out, expecially since once you get them below 100 hp they go heal.

Here is a prime example of Hathor OPness. http://www.aotsanctuary.com/forums/index.p...10&#entry155806

In this game, you can clearly see how I am unable to counter petsuchos, as they kill my huskarl/jarl army! I thought Jarls were supposed to coutner myth units? They are! But when I even start killing some, they pop back into the Roc and fly behind to safety. WATCH GAME NOW

The only way I was able to win was with Ragnarok, when I was clearly outplaying my opponent. I had 50% more vills than him, yet I was losing militarily, just look at the units killed/lost stats halfway or so through the game!

Make Rocs have -1 speed and -50 hitpoints. Make petsuchos cost 25 favor. What kind of incredibly strong myth unit in HEROIC costs 15 favor?? Do my battle boars cost 15 favor?? NO!

This will NOT make Hathor too weak at all, this strat will still be viable and very strong, just I will have a chance at countering it! some tiny army shouldnt be able to pwn me all game.

Next, elephants. I think they should get -5% hack armor, they will probly still beat infantry too. They didnt need that hack armor boost that ES gave them.

As for Thoth upgrade, since GP thinks thats what makes elephants op and not their original stats (maybe hes right, what do I know?) maybe we should nerf that too!

I think this would make it possible to compete against isis without being lamed. The merc/ancestors/everything else that you find too strong doesnt compete with this lamage that Im taking, these fixes are important.

This is not a balance post which is why im not including merc/siege towers etc. that p3ns whining to me on msn. Its just important fixes that I see that are more important than balance. These things have gone unmentioned, I dont need to talk about merc and castles etc.'

My comments now:

Isis is the most underpowered god for sure because of the:

1. Small gp blocking radius of monuments.

2. Prostperity: All you have to do on a fh is move all villies to gold and poof! You have enough for 2 tc and a couple migdols! [sarcasm]That is soooo balanced! [/sarcasm]

3. Mercs

After you use the balanced Prostperity god power you have enough recources for a couple hundred mercenaries so those over powered norse raiders dont get to you!

4. Migdols

They cost 400 gold and 10 favor! ES makes me so mad! At least its not as much as the Greek's 300 wood, 300 gold and 10 favor.

5. Ancestors + Eclipse

This is the main reason of isis up'dness. Ancestors last only for a minute and eclipse a little longer! They should extent that another 30 seconds or so.

6. Techs 10% cheaper

This is sooo unfair! Isis needs about 50-70% taken off. 10% is too little.

Oh well maybe ES will give Isis a boost someday. . .

[/sarcasm]

Member of the TpC_ Clan

[This message has been edited by Fenris77 (edited 09-22-2004 @ 08:00 PM).]

Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 08:13 PM EDT (US)     42 / 109       
    ^^well theres a waste of a post considering i already acknownledged isis was OP a few posts ago....fool.This thread asks for my thoughts on atties and balance disagreed with him and i have proved him wrong time and time again. And just because you get atties past 14 min doesnt mean youve automatically won. They constantly raid you to death and with their superior eco, can lame a titan with an "isis bonus" (dryad trees).

Quote:

Carwash stop making a fool of yourself and posting rating of people you have never met

when you write an essay you dont use quotes of just the people you know to support what your saying do you?? No. Same principle applies here.

[This message has been edited by Carwash_II (edited 09-22-2004 @ 08:21 PM).]

Duskofdead
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 08:59 PM EDT (US)     43 / 109       
    Atties are not OP. Atties ARE OP within a specific range of players (beginners, low intermediates) to specific civs simply because the early turma rush is difficult for many Classical civs to counter. Greeks for instance, only really one unit designed to stand up to Turma raid (hippikon) and it's not an easy unit (40 food, 80 gold, 3 pop each) to mass in time to meet a Turma raid.

I'm the guy trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup.
    Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 09:32 PM EDT (US)     44 / 109       
    ^^exact point ive been trying to make the whole thread.
    Duskofdead
    Mortal
    posted 22 September 2004 09:34 PM EDT (US)     45 / 109       
    ^^ I thought so. I noticed a lot of the guys arguing here are higher rated players, they probably will not notice the same sorts of things that more casual players will in the lower levels.

I'm the guy trying to catch the deluge in a paper cup.
    Fenris77
    Mortal
    posted 23 September 2004 10:11 AM EDT (US)     46 / 109       
    You have a good point, after your around 1750 you really gotta micro hard or your gonna die with attie.

Member of the TpC_ Clan
    BalanceFX
    Mortal
    posted 23 September 2004 01:29 PM EDT (US)     47 / 109       

Quote:

You have a good point, after your around 1750 you really gotta micro hard or your gonna die with attie.

Well you have to micro hard with almost any civ, its just atties require alot more miltary direction. Can't just let them run wild and free.

Fenris77
    Mortal
    posted 23 September 2004 01:46 PM EDT (US)     48 / 109       
    1700- you can

Member of the TpC_ Clan
    Carwash_II
    Mortal
    posted 23 September 2004 02:45 PM EDT (US)     49 / 109       
    ^^exactly...which was my point.Also they dont really require much military micro 1720- either. I mean, murms are a good all around unit and turma are insanly fast so they can run from anything. If you let your turms get caught, you must be an idiot .
    BalanceFX
    Mortal
    posted 24 September 2004 00:33 AM EDT (US)     50 / 109       

Quote:

^^exactly...which was my point.Also they dont really require much military micro 1720- either. I mean, murms are a good all around unit and turma are insanly fast so they can run from anything. If you let your turms get caught, you must be an idiot

If you really have a problem with turma raiding, you probably have problems with:

Zeus Centaur Strangle
    Norse RC Before 6 mins
    Eggie Anubite Raiding
    Hades Toxote Forward Build

Or is it... Anubites and Centaurs are easy because you play Isis and you Start with 2 Free heroes... Toxote Forward build is lame because your just going to rush to heroic and let your FREE UPGRADE towers kill their toxotes and then counter with Camelry/Elephants and Norse Raiding calvary require you to click Crenallations and possible make a few mercs with all the uber OP prosperity gold you have... hmmm

Turma are great because their fast enough to outrun your mercs, Snipe into tower range for a sec to kill your pharoah or peon, can run down priests as you spam your uber cheap monuments all over the map (At 10 gold a pop) Your whole BO could be screwwed up, Kill your house peon, Kill your priest, and maybe a pharoah before dying to Isis's free tower upgrades. Oh and if your forget your early Monument to block GP 5 turmas could shockwave your gold peons and get all 5 while your under prosperity. Use valor to counter your free Sphinx...

Yea, As Isis I guess you'd hate Atties... But just think... The most turmas are going to do is kill 5 peons, your still make heroic spam a few camels and own them, but they just disrupt your whole chain of thought... Snipe, Snipe, Run. Snipe, Snipe, Run. You probably think that requires no micro or skill either correct? Its like Atties have a free technology called RAID PEONS/PHAROAH/PRIESTS and they just click it and it happens.

Try making a barracks and spamming Spearmen/Slingers. They will either run away or lose trying to kill you, or start making Cheiroballistas, Which are expensive, slow and Still countered by camels.... I don't see a problem with Turma raiding most the time. Its nowhere near as bad as the Loki rush and takes almost as much skill to be successful as Raiding with Norse Calvary or Centaur Strangling. (And Centaur strangle would own Eggies if Their Pharoah wasnt always hanging out at the gold mine)

There is no disadvantage to playing Isis. She has a minor weakness to RA and to turma spammers (And I bet even most games you get turma spammed you still win anyways.... Raiding is not easy even with a ranged horsie.)

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames