You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.39 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » "The Perfect Editor" - a community definition...
Bottom
Topic Subject:"The Perfect Editor" - a community definition...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
CheeZy
Mortal
(id: CheeZy monkey)
posted 20 November 2003 10:49 PM EDT (US)         
What do you guys think would make The Perfect Editor, an editor that is simply amazing, that satisfies your every need as a designer, that goes above and beyond all the rest.

As long as map editors have existed there has always been something that people still want from them.

So what do you think would make the perfect editor?

I'll join in the discussion as soon as this gets a reply

P.S... Game Developer WildFire Games is currently working on developing an editor for Their game, it'd be really nice if you guys could give your input, starting Here

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy (edited 11-20-2003 @ 10:50 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Hero_Acamas
Banned
posted 20 November 2003 11:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 39       
Oh great another patch!!

Something that is easy for everyone! For example, easy to make your own custom buildings or units without the complication and the hours of time, thats a good improovement for eye candy I also would like units to actualy speak so you can type in what you want Arkantos to say, and he will say it, in his voice.

It would be cool for you to copy enlarged buildings or units to save time and make the presise size. The editor is fine now, I dont see many great needs to it

SasquatchHunter
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 03:33 AM EDT (US)     2 / 39       
The WC3 editor is very good
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 21 November 2003 04:00 AM EDT (US)     3 / 39       
Maybe you could add a "mirror" option to mirror buildings, or a "flip" option which turn the buildings upside down instantly.

arnitald
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 05:57 AM EDT (US)     4 / 39       
    • Allow all axis rotation by the arrow keys again! I hate the crappy palette. It is so inaccurate and takes so much time. Right left up down tilting

• Multiplayer Editor would be awesome though you probably cant do it, because of copyrights etc. And because of much work too.

• Editor Script could be good too, though I dont know what it possibilities would be.

• Placing trees and objects on water and cliffs without blocking. Direct Placing actually, whereever you want.

• Splitting effects into pieces. Like adding automaton repair effect or Rain Small sun glow...

• Adding full screen raining, like snow but this would be a rain texture.

• Fix the sound browse window. Whenever I browse there to the sound it never fills in the sound filename dialog. I gotta copy and paste it from WinExplorer.

• No elevation limit in either down or upper way. Or when the engine always has some limit pump it up like 3 times.

• Reducing pitching lag

• Formable water bodies with 3d waves possible.

• Allowing all in game animations from the Animation Editor work with the Set Animation trigger

• Renaming proto names to their actual game names

• Enabling every blocked stuff in the programm (if there are even more)

• Removing the palette with predefined shapes of brushes or merging it with the original slider one, which is far more better imo. And you have to close two palettes always... The predefined palette is annoying and useless.

• Stylus pressure recognize ability. Pressure defines brush size. (graphics tablet)

• In game sound editor allowing you to play all sounds and export and import them. Including bar sounds of course.

• Model Editor allowing you to attach all possible weapons and models to the unit in-game. /refer in-game as in the editor

• Age settable in the editor to see how the buildings look like without having to test the scenario or change their current animation.

• AoM music playble in the editor

• Enabled Editing of comments and in-game help for the particular proto or single unit.

• AI script editor with simplified script and good help - easy to learn

• Water color texture color editable like the lightning color.

• Adding smooth color choosing through the random Windows Color Palette for the color managing tools (dunno if this is included already)

• Copying stuff should keep all settings saved including position, rotation, scale and other modifications.

• Custom guidelines settable

• Take screenshot window should have locked Hide Interface by default. Saving directory should be made choosable.

• Debugging the map generation and map size stuff. Somehow I cant set an absolute value to the map size. I can only resize by relative numbers.

• Changable object speed (like waves could roll slower or faster)

• Build and move lock choosable by every texture (turn on/off)

• Water can be repositioned up and down (like flooding without deleting the whole map elevation and objects)

Well that's all I was thinking about for now. Hope it helps and if I mentioned something what exists please tell me.

-Arnitald

aom dude
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 10:31 AM EDT (US)     5 / 39       
I would like some easy modding and anim editing tool.

It's lame to quote yourself - aom dude
DMK_ReaperX
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 11:44 AM EDT (US)     6 / 39       
@>Arnitald, man most of it is impossible...

Quote:

I also would like units to actualy speak so you can type in what you want Arkantos to say, and he will say it, in his voice.

omg, how you want to do that ???
look, (for Windows XP) to Microsoft Sam if you let him say something you can't really hear what he's saying, it's very difficult to generate such a voice, like in Counter Strike/Half Life you also have such a voice, that's also not really clear...

"One may feel fear in the face of danger, as long as one banishes fear when danger actually arives" "So say the wise"
I can help making campaings I can do triggers/map design/storyboard, need help ?? mail me on: degrotezoeloeman@hotmail.com
I hate it when people calling me "DMK" or "DMX' call me Reaper
Shiva
HG Alumnus
posted 21 November 2003 12:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 39       
The editor of Age Of Kings: The Conquerors. The best. Ever.

.¸¸.· · .¸¸.·´ §hïvå | RágeOfHaemòn · .¸¸.· · .¸¸.·
« . ° ¤ Scenario Designer | Woad Creations ¤ º . »
arnitald
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 02:36 PM EDT (US)     8 / 39       
Reaper X first read the topic then flame. It is asking for the perfect editor and that you can't make it with AoM editor does not mean it is impossible.

Perfect Editor does not mean AoM editor. I included both imporvements for the perfect and AoM editor so: be quiet with your Man its impossible and read fitst.

DMK_ReaperX
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 02:43 PM EDT (US)     9 / 39       
First of all, I'm not FLAMING
I gues that's why I got banned, cuz ppl think that's flaming

Anyway, ok, sorry...

"One may feel fear in the face of danger, as long as one banishes fear when danger actually arives" "So say the wise"
I can help making campaings I can do triggers/map design/storyboard, need help ?? mail me on: degrotezoeloeman@hotmail.com
redwolfalex
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 03:16 PM EDT (US)     10 / 39       
whoa, I can't think of anything more than what arnitald stated right now, I'll go ponder for a bit.

^Redwolf^
Don't sit there and take it! They built it we can break it!-AF
Voted The AOMH favorite newbie '03(first semester)
Member of the Phantom Warrior clan
Proud Member of Dragon Gaming Design Network
\...\Skate and Destroy/.../
Intrepid
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 03:18 PM EDT (US)     11 / 39       
1) Multiplayer Designing: Imagine if will a the ability to host a game, but instead of playing the game you got together with your buddies and designed a scenario online. Scenario design teams would probably find this the most useful as it would make it much easier to get together with other team members to work on joint projects. However, I think the average player would enjoy it as well. A group, for instance, could make a map and then play against each other on it. A good descriptive name for this would be cooperative designing.

2) Effects that can write/read from/to text files: Visualizing the effectiveness of these effects is a no brainier. This would make it possible to keep track of various things outside of a scenario. The implications for such triggers for both multiplayer scenarios and single player scenarios are monumental if you can conceive of a few of the possibilities such effects could have.

3) Graphic Scaling: Most games already have this as a feature of their editor. However, it would be useful if you scale objects by individual axis.

4) A Component Based Trigger Systems: Several games already possess such a system as they dwarf non component based trigger systems by providing greater power and flexibility. A component based trigger system basically allows you to construct the components of triggers before you actually construct the trigger itself. It turn these components can be used in multiple triggers. The next step up from a component based trigger system would be one that operates in a similar fashion to windows.

Note: Several of these ideas come from the "Insane Editor Ideas" post at EH.

[This message has been edited by iNtRePiD (edited 11-21-2003 @ 03:33 PM).]

bo shek mafia ma
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 03:26 PM EDT (US)     12 / 39       
You know...I have actually no probelms with the current editor...so does that make it perfect ?

Presenting...
Lord Of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Saga reproduced exclusively for Age Of Mythology
Coming soon..in Fall 04

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 04:48 PM EDT (US)     13 / 39       
I'm not sure what a perfect editor would be like, but I think that the AOM editor can be a really good editor if ES had more time (and manpower) to polish the current one.

The current AOM editor has many good features and concepts, but most of them aren't completed, and most of us users must rely on fans-created enhancements.

Compared to the AoK: TC's editor, the AOM editor has more features and potentials, but the AoK one is more polished, making it easier to use.

Quoted from iNtRePiD:

1) Multiplayer Designing: Imagine if will a the ability to host a game, but instead of playing the game you got together with your buddies and designed a scenario online.

Online scenario designing... very interesting and innovative idea! It sure seem to be difficult to create though .

Blizzards Entertainment might do something like this, but I don't think ES' producers will spend their resource in this area any time soon.

[This message has been edited by Alexandergreat3 (edited 11-21-2003 @ 05:00 PM).]

Cavuy
Mortal
(id: jonathan1222)
posted 21 November 2003 05:13 PM EDT (US)     14 / 39       
MODIFY PROTOUNIT.

• Garrison cappacity, like allow heroes to carry 15 relics or the trojan horse to carry 200 men(realisim=true)
  • Special Attack effect duriation, e.g scorpian man poisnoning units effect lasting 1 minute, chimera fire effect damage length.
  • In game help + unit description, allow these to be edited.

Thats it for now.

Cavuy (formerly jonathan1222) | Writer, Graphic & Web Designer
ex-Modder and Scenario Designer | Legacy
Member since May 5th, 2003
DeafPride_Fang
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 05:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 39       
the only 2 things i prefer for a perfect editor is...

1. Lets all EFFECTS works in multiplayer

2. Make the transfer file to other peeps in multiplayer go ALOT FASTER than it is now.

ESO name: ChazFang &DeafPride_Fang
Playing against a better player is one of the most effective way to improve...
What matters most is how you see yourself...
"Our fears and doubts are our traitors"-William Shakesphere
The last 3 lines are very true...
The last 4 lines are very true...

[This message has been edited by DeafPride_Fang (edited 11-21-2003 @ 05:18 PM).]

Mastermike707
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 06:10 PM EDT (US)     16 / 39       

Quoted from DeafPride_Fang:

. Make the transfer file to other peeps in multiplayer go ALOT FASTER than it is now.

This could be done by zipping the file before it is transfered. The type of zip could be unique to AOM/ES. When the file is recived it is unzipped and is ready to play.

Quoted from iNtRePiD:

1)Multiplayer Designing...

A must have for the "perfect editor". Chat would[should] be intergrated into this.

Here is what also should be included:

1) A user-friendly interface with color, graphics, and smooth design.(Many newbie designers would be into editing if they had this)

2) Updates, instead of simply having the gameplay updated with each patch, have updated editor settings too.

3) All of the icons filenames and sound filenames can be previewed to see what they look or sound like.

4) More trigger options, such as: more logic(i.e. you can check two conditions to be "OR"ed and two other ones to be "NOT"ed).

5) The ability to create a unit without complicated modding, in the editor and not have it take up lots of space.

6) KB counter. A display that tells you the size of your scenerio in Kilobytes and when it is "zipped"(as mentioned above)

Need Help? E-mail Me!
Completed Projects: Diety Battle II
Projects in Development:
Supreme Deity I 34% Complete
CheeZy
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 07:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 39       
Patch? Who says I'm making a patch. This is just a thread to find out what people would think would make a cool editor.

For me, the most important feature above all else:

Time efficiency. I don't want to go through 5 windows just to place a unit or change diplomacy. Being able to do things quickly is the most important part.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----
Intrepid
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 07:10 PM EDT (US)     18 / 39       
5) Graphical Effects That are Laid as Terrains: With this idea you could draw on the map where you want to see smoke, mist, fog, rain etc... However, for this idea to actually be something creative you should also be able to manipulate the elevation level in which the terrain is placed. These effects shouldn't just be objects that have been incorporated into terrains as that defeats the purpose of such an idea.

6) Numerical Elevations: Elevation levels are denoted with a numerical values.

7) A Water Fill Tool: For this tool to work properly the editor would have to function under a system of numerical denotation for elevations. Basically this tool would allow you to fill a certain elevation level up with water. The water level would be adjustable so both shallows and deep oceans can be created. The tool would only you to fill an area with water if that area is constrained by a higher elevation. This tool would allow water to placed at any elevation level without the hassle of non-elevation water based systems.

ajcan
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 07:10 PM EDT (US)     19 / 39       
One thing I wanna see fixed right away is the bug that dosent let some triggers work in multiplayer. ESO really should of fixrd that by now, a MAJOR trigger like Unit Create shouldent have to be supplemented with Army deploy in every scenario
Byz
Mortal
(id: Byzantine_Warrior)
posted 21 November 2003 07:12 PM EDT (US)     20 / 39       
The eyecandy capabilites of AoM, triggers of Empires, and the units from EE, AoM, and Empires. Also, a random facing option and random # generator (ex: you could have it so the player is randomly awarded between 50 and 200 gold. Hank's idea there.)

Byz
Tsunami Studios
"People are born to succeed, not fail." - Henry David Thoreau
battlestar000
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 07:25 PM EDT (US)     21 / 39       
In Theory, The Perfect editor gives the designer all the powers on editing anything in anyway he wishes, while being very easy and clear to use.
CheeZy
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 07:43 PM EDT (US)     22 / 39       
Nice stuff, iNtRePiD Great ideas.

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
----Stuff I've Made----
PseudoWalrus
Mortal
posted 21 November 2003 10:44 PM EDT (US)     23 / 39       
1. An all-in-one editor, so it is not necessary to open many different programs to get at all the functions.

2. Everything in the game editable.

Myth 2: Soulblighter, if anyone has played it or edited for it, did a very good job at having the entire game editable in its editors, but the only problem was there were two editors, Fear and Loathing.

However, between those two editors, EVERYTHING in the game was editable, from unit appearances, to unit scaling, to unit naming/unit texts, to level elevation, splash size, color map (not made with pregenerated textures), to unit attacks, projectile statistics, gravity amounts... basically anything imagineable. For example, without even importing any new resources (bitmaps, etc.) it was possible (In Myth:2) to make archers shoot flaming pigs which exploded in a massive gout of blood, caught the ground on fire, and steamed when landed in water. If you had the time and the software, you could even create entirely new units, and not just edit the textures of existing ones. And it was even a Real Time Strategy game... The only problem was the files from the editor could not be downloaded within the multiplayer game (most likely because most files that included completely new color maps were larger than 5 MB). It would be nice to be able to do this in every game editor (without the massive file size thing).

DMK_ReaperX
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 05:12 AM EDT (US)     24 / 39       
It's very good to have a simple editor, with just some simple funstions, and a difficult editor, for the experts with way more advanced functions.

The basic editor is very use friendly, everything is easy 2 do, the advanced editor is way more difficult with way more functions... that's very good...

And for AoM, there should be a trigger to change terrain and water

Yohan Hoogland
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 05:37 AM EDT (US)     25 / 39       
I don't get triggers, I hope they will make that easier. Or at least someone can learn me . I mean, I see loads of Quest Var triggers, but I have no idea what they actually do.

The Wait Is Over

DoJo Clan Site
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames