You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.39 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » "The Perfect Editor" - a community definition...
Bottom
Topic Subject:"The Perfect Editor" - a community definition...
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
CheeZy
Mortal
(id: CheeZy monkey)
posted 20 November 2003 10:49 PM EDT (US)         
What do you guys think would make The Perfect Editor, an editor that is simply amazing, that satisfies your every need as a designer, that goes above and beyond all the rest.

As long as map editors have existed there has always been something that people still want from them.

So what do you think would make the perfect editor?

I'll join in the discussion as soon as this gets a reply

P.S... Game Developer WildFire Games is currently working on developing an editor for Their game, it'd be really nice if you guys could give your input, starting Here

CheeZy ex-HG Angel
WildFire Games - Artist, Lead Scenario Designer, Game Designer for 0 A.D.
"But really, stop fighting and listen to CheeZy when he says use good grammar." - Phantom_rider.
----Stuff I've Made----

[This message has been edited by CheeZy (edited 11-20-2003 @ 10:50 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Eye of Iperion
Banned
posted 22 November 2003 05:59 AM EDT (US)     26 / 39       
I would like an editor that allows you to create your units assembling pieces, that allows to give abilities to the units, and a with trigger system more easy than the one of AoM.
And finally an easy editor, as the one of AoK, AoM editor is powerful, but hard to use.
Caewil
Mortal
(id: ARACHNID5678)
posted 22 November 2003 06:01 AM EDT (US)     27 / 39       
I agree with Yohan. I liked the AOK editor better. The triggers were a lot easier to understand. Unlike those Quest Var thingies. I think that ES should include with the editor,

1) A list of all triggers, conditions and effects and what they do.

2) Examples of how to use the triggers in a scenario. (this would definetly help newbs like me to master the editor)

3) An easy to use modding thingie. Like the sims creator in the sims deluxe edition. It's very nice.

4) An unit editor which enables you to give any unit a special attack.

5) The ability to create editor only units, using the existing units.

I think that's all that I can think of.

Frazzaman
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 06:24 AM EDT (US)     28 / 39       
i think the editor is quite good at the moment but i think i needs an easy way to make cinimatics and an easy way to make unit mods

(id: ARACHNID5678)
posted 22 November 2003 06:40 AM EDT (US)     29 / 39       
I just thought of another one. Easy to use pitching. I can never make cinematics properly because I don't know how to pitch.
DMK_ReaperX
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 07:01 AM EDT (US)     30 / 39       

Quote:

I don't get triggers, I hope they will make that easier. Or at least someone can learn me . I mean, I see loads of Quest Var triggers, but I have no idea what they actually do.

Read THIS you might consider reading the news at AOMH as well, it's a very good guide and explains it really good

"One may feel fear in the face of danger, as long as one banishes fear when danger actually arives" "So say the wise"
I can help making campaings I can do triggers/map design/storyboard, need help ?? mail me on: degrotezoeloeman@hotmail.com
I hate it when people calling me "DMK" or "DMX' call me Reaper
arnitald
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 09:25 AM EDT (US)     31 / 39       
The AoM triggers are very easy and therefore quite limites or rough. You do some things much easier way.. but there are no triggers for that. I wouldnt bother scripting too much though. I like it this pre-chewed way .
Intrepid
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 10:55 AM EDT (US)     32 / 39       
8) Surfaces and Colour Overlays That Can be Applied to Terrains: Basically this would allow you to change the tint of terrains by placing colour overlays on top of them. Coupled with this would the ability to choose from maybe four surfaces that can be placed with the terrain. These surfaces would fairly simple; you could have a jagged, flat, bumpy and blocky surface. These surfaces would not act as elevations, they would act simply as if they were normal terrains.
Matei
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 12:04 PM EDT (US)     33 / 39       
A support for a scripting language for triggers. You don't have to make triggers be only script, but if people could edit the equivalent of the trigtemp.xs file for their scenario by hand when creating it, that would be great. This would solve the issues of global variables ("quest vars"), re-usable functions, trigger copying (within a scenario and from one scenario to another), custom conditions/effects, and others in one swoop.

Programmer on 0 A.D., author of Norse Wars, co-author of Fort Wars.
arnitald
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 01:00 PM EDT (US)     34 / 39       
That is of course true. I would like to have it to a bit lower extend than by Neverwinter Nights. The editor is absolutely awesome and when you understand then C script used there... you can do anything. Lately I got a training dummy with entire system of damage calculation and dynamic training session and reward system. Absolutely awesome and that only for a dumb training dummy!
Intrepid
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 03:29 PM EDT (US)     35 / 39       
9) A Physics System that can be Modified: The designer would able to change a series of constant values (i.e. gravitational force, coefficient of static and kinetic friction). The designer would also have the ability to distort simple equations in order to create surreal effects.
spbogie
Mortal
posted 22 November 2003 10:27 PM EDT (US)     36 / 39       
The ability to edit elevation and terain ingame using triggers. I'm sure everyone would like that.
waveslave
Mortal
(id: waveslave610)
posted 22 November 2003 10:39 PM EDT (US)     37 / 39       
what I need most: Easily create and add replacetexture new units instead of having to go through the proto.xml,anim edit,etc...
Spartin_270
Mortal
posted 23 November 2003 00:19 AM EDT (US)     38 / 39       
maybe the abilty to actualy raise some units without modifying terrain ex: like haveing archers attached to the top of a trojan wall

I am a Spartin I am bred for War
without my maps I have no expression
AntiVitalDarknes
Mortal
posted 23 November 2003 01:19 PM EDT (US)     39 / 39       
generally, considering the buildings as a part of the landscape once placed, so that you can place units on them (like the archers of the wall) but that's generally a suggestion for the game itself, not the editor...

as said, eing able to change the terrain throught triggers... i don't know if thet is possible, but right now it's ruining a part of the storyline i had imagined for a scenario

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames