You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2500 replies, Closed
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a question? Post it here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Have a question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 68 69 70 71 72 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
King Jared
Mortal
posted 15 January 2004 10:57 AM EDT (US)         
I, and I'm sure others, have noticed that a lot of forum space is occupied by threads asking questions about the various aspects of Age of Mythology scenario design. So to reduce the space taken up by these question threads in the forum, and to make it a little easier on those who diligently try to answer them all, I started this general question-and-answer thread.

So, post any question regarding triggers, units, mapping, modding... anything related to Age of Mythology, or just life in general, and we, the skilled designers in the AOMH community, will do out best to answer them.

Fire away.

I'm sure you've all noticed by now that the thread has had a quite unexpected level of success, and I see no reason to cut that success short. Keep asking your questions, and we'll keep answering them. I also want to thank all those who've taken it upon themselves to answer any and all questions posted here, namely AoMPlayer000 and oddy, as well as several others. Good work, lads.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 04-30-2004 @ 04:27 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
oddy
Mortal
posted 22 November 2004 01:00 PM EDT (US)     1726 / 2500       
@ The Vandhaal: It's a shame I couldn't respond earlier. Please tell me you used Clear Chat History in the same trigger as the Chat Contains condition!

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
solidsnakeSS5
Mortal
posted 22 November 2004 02:41 PM EDT (US)     1727 / 2500       
If you want some computer player to invoke a god power does he has to have the god power first, because I cant make the invoke god power trigger at all?

can someone tell me how to do it

spbogie
Mortal
posted 22 November 2004 02:44 PM EDT (US)     1728 / 2500       
Yes the computer must have the god power first.

trigger:
conditions:
--whatever condidtions you want
effects:
--grantGP
--invokeGP

The Vandhaal
Mortal
posted 22 November 2004 03:00 PM EDT (US)     1729 / 2500       
@ Oddy

Thanx for the reaction

yep I used that clear chat condition (the test set up worked fine and luckely now the real set up in the scenario works also perfect)

I think the trigger just was messed up maybe on the way pftq
describes below.

Anyway thanx again for your reactions pftq and oddy
Best regards,

The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]
pftq
Mortal
posted 22 November 2004 06:34 PM EDT (US)     1730 / 2500       

Quoted from oddy:

@ The Vandhaal: It's a shame I couldn't respond earlier. Please tell me you used Clear Chat History in the same trigger as the Chat Contains condition!

Wow do you have to say that to everyone who mentions they use Chat Contains oddy? lol no offense - just rather weird you keep popping up and saying that.

Ashtoro
Mortal
posted 22 November 2004 08:19 PM EDT (US)     1731 / 2500       
    Questions.
  1. Is there a way to make it as if you could change your weapon, for example, different kind of bows? Like would you like to use this super-bow that will break if you use it too much or this piece of crap and save your good bow for the upcoming boss that will kill you if you don't. Better if a quick way.

2. Can I use the 'Chat Contains' condition with the same text repeatedly without using the 'Clear Chat History' effect? For example, "Eat food = 10" to heal ten HP or whatever in an RPG, without you automatically eating ten food every time you have it. I don't want to use Clear Chat History becuse doing so would prevent the player from checking out past speakings for clues on what to do.

3. Is it possible to hide the amount of HP an enemy has so you don't know how close you are to killing it?

4. Can I change a unit's attack from say, hack attack to pierce attack, so that I can use the Hack Armour of your unit in a different way?

5. Can I change how fast a unit attacks(for example, a machine gun is faster than a pistol)?

6. Can I make it so that a unit can see everything he would normally be able to see, for example across an entire plain but not over mountains?

7. Is the effect that changes how fast you build stuff or whatever changed in the same matter as modify protounit, or is it just set to the number you say? For example, would setting it to 3.0 and then later setting to 1.0 be bringing it back to normal?

8. When making an RPG, Food can be used to heal, Gold can be used to buy things, and Favor can be used for divine reasons. What could Wood be used for? I'm open to suggestions.

9. Is there a way to have more than one incomplete objective shown in the Objectives Window while ingame? If not, has anyone made a trigger pack include such effects? If so, can you give me the link? If not, why not, someone should.

I can't think of anymore. I think nine questions should suffice for now, though.

-- Ashtoro
Current Project - Progress {Map/Trg/Eye/Cin/Test}
Nothin' really, just fooling around.
pftq
Mortal
posted 22 November 2004 08:27 PM EDT (US)     1732 / 2500       
2) The chat contains only works when chat is visible on screen. So simply put in a timer or something - so the chat is off screen before it could fire a second time.

3)I believe Treebeard III made an effect for this but I dunno when he'll release tehm.

4) Yes, just use modify protounit to give him so pierce attack. But you can't give him range attack if he uses hand attack and vice versa I think.

5) Modify Protounit the unit's projectile (it's a unit). For example, for Priest, modify the Priest Projectile's speed. I once did this and the priest looked like he was shooting lasers.

But attack rate - nope.

6)Just put black terrain past the mountains.

7) If you mean the Rate Construction effect, I'm not sure. Just try it out.

9) No it isnt' possible. I don't think even triggers can do much as it's sort of a general rule thing.

ChoirMem_15
Banned
posted 22 November 2004 11:50 PM EDT (US)     1733 / 2500       
Pftp (by the way, what does your screen name's four letter stand for?),

I'm going back to my question about how to to grant Gaia units a God power. Your response was "Gaia is player 0 so just grant the god power like you would with other players and invoke." I forgot to say afterwards that in AoM, Player 0 isn't on the Player List in the Grant God Power effect. So coming again, how do I grant Player Gaia a God power? Is there a specific download I need to download?

[This message has been edited by ChoirMem_15 (edited 11-22-2004 @ 11:53 PM).]

Hikari
Mortal
(id: echowinds)
posted 22 November 2004 11:59 PM EDT (US)     1734 / 2500       
player 0 is on the bottom of the list i think.

pftq
Mortal
posted 23 November 2004 00:01 AM EDT (US)     1735 / 2500       
Yeah it's pretty weird. Not sure if it was in Vanilla though but just check incase you missed it.

If it's not in there, I believe the New Editor said it adds it (or not, don't really remember sorry).

ChoirMem_15
Banned
posted 23 November 2004 00:16 AM EDT (US)     1736 / 2500       
It's not. I already checked that before I came back.

Who's Vanilla and do you mean The Titams when you said new editor? If so, I don't have The Titans.

pftq
Mortal
posted 23 November 2004 01:14 AM EDT (US)     1737 / 2500       
Vanilla is a term to refer to AOM without the titans.

The new editor is a mod that gives the editor new features.

New X Editor is for Titans.

New Editor is for AOM Plain

solidsnakeSS5
Mortal
posted 23 November 2004 05:23 AM EDT (US)     1738 / 2500       
I have trouble with one of my cinematics,

I is a cinematic leading to a cinematic

So this is how my cinemtic ends,

condition timer
effect cinematic mod off
effect fadé color on
effect fire event(and I fire another trigger that is another cinamtic: the cinmatics loop is off, run imediatly is off and active is off and also effect is fade color fade is off(does the fade off like go back to light and seeable?)

Whats wrong with my trigger, my fire event dosent work, everything till fireevent dosent work

2. My second question would be about Play Dialog
When I make a dialog I make it with so many trigger, I mean there has to be another way right.

this is how I do it:

I first think how long the dialog is going to be
and then I create a trigger

trigger active
condition timer 5 seconds
effect play dialog

trigger active
condition timer 10 seconds
effect play dialog

trigger active
condition timer 15 secondds
effect play dialog

and so on...

see I make the dialog thing work after 5 seconds into the game and then after 5 seconds the next on will activate and so on, so player will have 5 seconds to read the dialog

I want to know how it really should be done, one dialog took my like over 30 triggers

and also when my cinemtic and dialog ends the last thing that was said still stays

someone playes tell my the professional way to do it?

please

[This message has been edited by solidsnakeSS5 (edited 11-23-2004 @ 06:13 AM).]

ArcticWind7
Banned
posted 23 November 2004 08:50 AM EDT (US)     1739 / 2500       
1 y do that neway?

2 have fire it with the respective cam track that it is gona be played on (and u may still need a timer)atm thats all i can think of......... it makes it better than having to guess the imte

ChoirMem_15
Banned
posted 23 November 2004 06:23 PM EDT (US)     1740 / 2500       
@ Pftp,

Where do I get the new "Vanilla" editor? Is it a stor-bought product or is it downloadable?

pftq
Mortal
posted 23 November 2004 06:26 PM EDT (US)     1741 / 2500       
Like I said - it's a mod.

You can download it at this site's Download Section under Utilities I believe.

Ashtoro
Mortal
posted 23 November 2004 07:44 PM EDT (US)     1742 / 2500       
    Questions - some answered some not -
  1. Unanswered Is there a way to make it as if you could change your weapon, for example, different kind of bows? Like would you like to use this super-bow that will break if you use it too much or this piece of crap and save your good bow for the upcoming boss that will kill you if you don't. Better if a quick way.

2. Answered Thanks, I didn't know it meant the screen, but the entire chat history.

3. Unanswered Hmm. I await those triggers. The two or three from Question 9.

4. Answered Thank you, but I've no intention to change from range to hand.

5. Answered Unfortunately, it can only be done for ranged weapons, I'll have to make do with it.

6. Misunderstood - Unanswered Can I make it so that a unit can see everything he would normally be able to see, for example across an entire plain but not over mountains? That is not what I mean. It would still be Black Map, that could be revealed if you went there, like normal. You can't see the other side of a mountain unless you go to that side, right?

7. Unanswered Is the effect that changes how fast you build stuff or whatever changed in the same matter as modify protounit, or is it just set to the number you say? For example, would setting it to 3.0 and then later setting to 1.0 be bringing it back to normal? If I wanted to check it out on my own, I would have.

8. Unanswered When making an RPG, Food can be used to heal, Gold can be used to buy things, and Favor can be used for divine reasons. What could Wood be used for? I'm open to suggestions.

9. Answered That is unfortunate. I say someone should make it so! "Set Objective New", "Set Objective Complete", and perhaps "Set Objective Failed".

10. New Question How can you change the name of Trigger Effects? According to WOTR, the Set Tech Status(or whatever it's called) is shown as p.1, p.2, p.3, and so on in the current effects list.

That's all for now.

-- Ashtoro
Current Project - Progress {Map/Trg/Eye/Cin/Test}
Nothin' really, just fooling around.

[This message has been edited by Ashtoro (edited 11-23-2004 @ 08:03 PM).]

pftq
Mortal
posted 23 November 2004 09:37 PM EDT (US)     1743 / 2500       
I think for number 10, you can change it by simply the same way you rename a trigger.

You can type in the box with the trigger name on the effects menu.

solidsnakeSS5
Mortal
posted 24 November 2004 03:41 AM EDT (US)     1744 / 2500       
What is the best editor to download for AOM?
I have the "new editor 9.5"

[This message has been edited by solidsnakeSS5 (edited 11-24-2004 @ 03:44 AM).]

pftq
Mortal
posted 24 November 2004 04:02 AM EDT (US)     1745 / 2500       
Check the downloads section. The one that reyk put "Latest version" or something in the description is the newest.
Skydragon
Mortal
posted 24 November 2004 02:41 PM EDT (US)     1746 / 2500       
I want to include some snow in my scenario and until now it has worked fine, everytime the destinated object comes into LOS the Render snow effect takes place. BUT, when I want it to quit it just keeps on snowing ! I'm using the same technique on a shrine not to far away from the snowy area but when it comes into LOS it just keeps on snowing... I'm positive I've fired the triggers and the render snow effect points 0. Still it doesn't work. What's up ?

Always flying around at Ambition Designs.
If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start ! -Edmund Blackadder
pftq
Mortal
posted 24 November 2004 02:46 PM EDT (US)     1747 / 2500       
Well, render 0 works for me so it must be something wrong with your triggers.

For example, you might have a trigger that turns on snow but with conditions you did not intend.

mariostar1992
Mortal
posted 24 November 2004 04:00 PM EDT (US)     1748 / 2500       
How do you change the view in the editor/game to a birds-eye view or a first-person-like view? What i mean is, how do you change the camera angle?
pftq
Mortal
posted 24 November 2004 04:30 PM EDT (US)     1749 / 2500       
filmdirector2
Mortal
posted 24 November 2004 04:35 PM EDT (US)     1750 / 2500       
Is it possib;e to "Slow Down" a cinematic without decreasign speed from modifyprotounit?
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 68 69 70 71 72 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames