You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2500 replies, Closed
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a question? Post it here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Have a question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
King Jared
Mortal
posted 15 January 2004 10:57 AM EDT (US)         
I, and I'm sure others, have noticed that a lot of forum space is occupied by threads asking questions about the various aspects of Age of Mythology scenario design. So to reduce the space taken up by these question threads in the forum, and to make it a little easier on those who diligently try to answer them all, I started this general question-and-answer thread.

So, post any question regarding triggers, units, mapping, modding... anything related to Age of Mythology, or just life in general, and we, the skilled designers in the AOMH community, will do out best to answer them.

Fire away.

I'm sure you've all noticed by now that the thread has had a quite unexpected level of success, and I see no reason to cut that success short. Keep asking your questions, and we'll keep answering them. I also want to thank all those who've taken it upon themselves to answer any and all questions posted here, namely AoMPlayer000 and oddy, as well as several others. Good work, lads.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 04-30-2004 @ 04:27 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
beeone
Mortal
posted 22 March 2004 04:48 PM EDT (US)     226 / 2500       
Very new to Aom Got it in Feb. for b-day
Have been playing with the editor some. My question is can you open a campaign map in the editor? I want to look at some of them to see how it is made... maby I looked at the trigger thing but closed it Really fast lol that will come much much later.
sure do wish I could read German

Thanks bee

ValidusVince
Mortal
posted 22 March 2004 05:10 PM EDT (US)     227 / 2500       
I got a question, he he. I'm making a scenario where you only begin with a prisioner. But when I test it, after five seconds (approx) the defeat message appears: You have been defeated. How can I stop this of happening?.
I know that if I put military units in for the player 1, the message will not appear. But what I want is to begin with only the prisioner, and I can't, I need a solution.
Il_Roxy_lI
Mortal
posted 22 March 2004 05:25 PM EDT (US)     228 / 2500       
I am working on a scenario that is done for now, but when I hosted the internet game (to get advice on what to work on/add), it booted me out to main menu of AOM xpack when it finished loading!! What should I do? The other players encountered the same problem... Please help me! :S
Thanks in advanced,
Roxy

[This message has been edited by Il_Roxy_lI (edited 03-22-2004 @ 08:12 PM).]

Von Mackensens Hat
Mortal
(id: DrNick)
posted 22 March 2004 05:37 PM EDT (US)     229 / 2500       
@Validus: in the editer, under the scenario menu there's an option (i think its scenario data or something like that) that will bring up a dialog box with the option "Use victory conditions" just uncheck that. But make sure you create triggers with the conditions "You Win" and "You Lose" or else the payer wont be able to win or lose and I'm reasonably sure that's not your intention.

@bee: Save a game in the scenario you want and then open the saved game in the editer. That's the esiest way, IMO

Dr Nick
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

[This message has been edited by DrNick (edited 03-22-2004 @ 05:46 PM).]

L_J_C
Mortal
posted 22 March 2004 05:57 PM EDT (US)     230 / 2500       
@bee sorry dr.nick but your way dosnt work,even with the x editor,
The AOM scenarios are compacked into a BAR file in your main AOM directory/scenarios folder,what u have to do is download AOMed which is a BAR Extractor.
Extract the file (i think its called scenario1/scenario2)and then u will be able to choose one of the scenarios as you normally would

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
Member of:Ambition Designs & PW Clan
Current Projects:The Warriors Of Sparta
Download:The Greek Dream

[This message has been edited by L_J_C (edited 03-22-2004 @ 05:58 PM).]

Von Mackensens Hat
Mortal
posted 22 March 2004 06:15 PM EDT (US)     231 / 2500       
It worked for me I figured out several triggers that way. I know the other way too, but I also know that BAR files are confusing to newcomers

Dr Nick

[This message has been edited by DrNick (edited 03-22-2004 @ 06:20 PM).]

indeed
Banned
posted 22 March 2004 07:10 PM EDT (US)     232 / 2500       
Hello all, im working on a rpg type map called foest walkers. I have pretty much all the tiggers figured out except for this one... You know in some games how when you get like 10 kills your units get stronger or you recive a god power? Well i cant figure out how to do that. Plz help.

FlaWLeSs_Diesel
nat_Diesel
nat_Trogdor

Lightsout
Mortal
posted 22 March 2004 07:33 PM EDT (US)     233 / 2500       
Condition: Stat value- Enemy units killed=However many
Effect: Whatever you want

Look for me on ESO-

Lightsout Unrated name, 1600

Gogos_Mace Rated name, 1650ish
indeed
Banned
posted 22 March 2004 10:14 PM EDT (US)     234 / 2500       
Thanks alot!

FlaWLeSs_Diesel
nat_Diesel
nat_Trogdor

Tahattus
Mortal
posted 22 March 2004 10:28 PM EDT (US)     235 / 2500       
yes, its illegal (lotr music), but anyway, Its not the exacltly music (kinda "mix") - so its not
Il_Roxy_lI
Mortal
posted 22 March 2004 11:28 PM EDT (US)     236 / 2500       
That 'Stat-Value' trigger might be useful...

Il_Roxy_lI

[This message has been edited by Il_Roxy_lI (edited 03-23-2004 @ 00:59 AM).]

oddy
Mortal
posted 23 March 2004 07:21 AM EDT (US)     237 / 2500       
And download Some New X Triggers to be able to loop the Stat Value condition.

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 23 March 2004 09:57 AM EDT (US)     238 / 2500       
@Roxy: Concerning your problem, I don't know... Search the forum for similar posts, you know, there're some triggers that don't work in MP mode...
King Jared
Mortal
posted 23 March 2004 01:37 PM EDT (US)     239 / 2500       
I didn't know about that Stat Value trick. Is Stat Value an existing condition, or does one have to get it from somewhere (I can't check at the moment...)? And simply putting enemy units killed=... does the trick? I'll certainly use that in my scenarios, if it works.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 03-23-2004 @ 01:39 PM).]

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 23 March 2004 01:40 PM EDT (US)     240 / 2500       
I think the stat value effect displays the same as the statistics at the end of a RM game... So it should work fine for a "dead-units-counter", you simply have to count some units on your map before you can use an exact number ...
oddy
Mortal
posted 23 March 2004 02:29 PM EDT (US)     241 / 2500       
Stat value can be used for a lot of stats. The number of units a player has killed is the most used one, I think. However, the original Stat Value can only deal with absolute numbers and can't handle something like 'every 10 kills', only 'at 10 kills', 'at 20 kills' etc. To get around that, I created the
QV Set As Stat Value effect and the Stat Value QV condition.

Period.
King Jared
Mortal
posted 23 March 2004 04:01 PM EDT (US)     242 / 2500       
For one of my scenarios, the objective is currently "Kill at least 100 Hoplites" (um, here ), but it's kind of cumbersome. I have to have all the 100 units (and more) on the map at the same time, which causes slight lag issues on even my machine. So, can I use this Stat Value thing for a player's cumulative kill count, or will I still have to have all the intended units on the map... or what? Or perhaps does someone (ie. oddy) have another suggestion to tabulate the kill count?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 03-23-2004 @ 04:02 PM).]

L_J_C
Mortal
posted 23 March 2004 04:09 PM EDT (US)     243 / 2500       
hmmm can you not just have the conndition as stat value=100 kills
Then the effect what ever you wanted to happen!!
You dont need all 100 units on the map.

(¯`-.:=LJC=:.-´¯)
Member of:Ambition Designs & PW Clan
Current Projects:The Warriors Of Sparta
Download:The Greek Dream
Kronos_tha_great
Mortal
posted 23 March 2004 05:53 PM EDT (US)     244 / 2500       
Question: How can I make that when a whola army from a player (all units, excluding builings, including Arcantos(hero) ) is destroyed, that Arcantos comes back to live, and chances in a minitaur? I already tried to make it once, but it failed because when de deatch arcantos chanced into a minitour, its dies again inmeditly, whihc is not what I want. I want that when all units from lets say player 2, are death, that de death player 2's arcantos comes to live again (at the same spot as where he died) and becomes a minitaur. Can someone give me the right trigger for that?

I'll hope you all understand me, because my Englisch is not so good as you see.

[This message has been edited by Kronos_tha_great (edited 03-23-2004 @ 06:00 PM).]

Kronos_tha_great
Mortal
posted 23 March 2004 05:56 PM EDT (US)     245 / 2500       
ow and I almost forgot. I made arcantos very strong (with the editor) But I want arcantos to becomes more powerfull and also bigger after he chanced into a minitaur. Is that possible?

[This message has been edited by Kronos_tha_great (edited 03-23-2004 @ 05:58 PM).]

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 24 March 2004 02:45 PM EDT (US)     246 / 2500       
@Kronos: 1. I think it's only possible through protox modding. If you experienced in that, I'll make a suggestion, if not, you could try it like that:
Arkantos dead -> destroy Arkantos, change unit type (cinematic block to minotaur), change name (minotaur to "Arkantos")
The problem would be that the minotaur propably appears not in the same area where Arkantos died.
Thus, you could use a high-speed raven that follows Arkantos instead of a cinematic block and then change this raven to the minotaur when Arkantos dies.
2. Use "modify protounit".

@King Jared: Of course you can use the stat value condition. But if the player has to kill other units BEFORE he has to defend the fortress, you'll have to count these units (and then add them to your stat value condition) and hope that the player kills them all ... Or you could use Oddy's QV stat value triggers. Another solution would be to use a timer instead of a counter .

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 03-24-2004 @ 03:26 PM).]

oddy
Mortal
posted 24 March 2004 03:23 PM EDT (US)     247 / 2500       
With the QV triggers, the process would look like this:
At the moment the Objective involving the 'Kill 100 Hoplites' is activated, the Stat Value of killed units, let's say, 57, is stored in a Quest Var with QV Set As Stat Value (I like to call it the 'Point Zero' QV). The next Stat Value you use will be a QV Stat Value, which asks for the 'Point Zero' QV. The current Units Killed Stat Value will be decreased by the value of the Point Zero QV. Voila!

Objective is activated

QV Set As Stat Value effect (Var name, stat name)
QV_PointZero = 57

100 units are killed

QV Stat Value condition (Point Zero var name, stat name, value stat must have):
Current Stat Value: 157
Minus QV_PointZero: 100

Of course, make sure you will encounter only hoplites.
*And sorry for promoting my Quest Var tricks *

Period.

[This message has been edited by oddy (edited 03-24-2004 @ 03:26 PM).]

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 24 March 2004 03:56 PM EDT (US)     248 / 2500       
Curios because of this discussion, I've downloaded them (without the newxtriggers). And I must admit, some are really handy, others completely senseless ("QV overlay text" ), and I deleted these particular ones at once...

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 03-24-2004 @ 03:56 PM).]

King Jared
Mortal
posted 24 March 2004 04:03 PM EDT (US)     249 / 2500       
I'm sure if I wanted to put my mind to it, I could understand this Quest Var rather quickly. However, as things are right now, it just hurts my head.

I'll see if the Stat Value condition works, and if not, I'll have to delve into the murky depths of Quest Var...

Thanks, guys.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
big.vitt@gmail.com
Von Mackensens Hat
Mortal
posted 24 March 2004 05:04 PM EDT (US)     250 / 2500       
I have two questions:
Is there a way to make a quest var a string?
How do you insert quest vars into chat messages?

Dr Nick

[This message has been edited by DrNick (edited 03-24-2004 @ 05:08 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames