You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG, nottud

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2500 replies, Closed
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a question? Post it here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Have a question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 28 29 30 31 32 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
King Jared
Mortal
posted 15 January 2004 10:57 AM EDT (US)         
I, and I'm sure others, have noticed that a lot of forum space is occupied by threads asking questions about the various aspects of Age of Mythology scenario design. So to reduce the space taken up by these question threads in the forum, and to make it a little easier on those who diligently try to answer them all, I started this general question-and-answer thread.

So, post any question regarding triggers, units, mapping, modding... anything related to Age of Mythology, or just life in general, and we, the skilled designers in the AOMH community, will do out best to answer them.

Fire away.

I'm sure you've all noticed by now that the thread has had a quite unexpected level of success, and I see no reason to cut that success short. Keep asking your questions, and we'll keep answering them. I also want to thank all those who've taken it upon themselves to answer any and all questions posted here, namely AoMPlayer000 and oddy, as well as several others. Good work, lads.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by King Jared (edited 04-30-2004 @ 04:27 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 02 June 2004 11:26 AM EDT (US)     726 / 2500       
@ oddy: Yes, I understand those basics, though I've never hard enough tried to make a new trigger, thus I'm not that skilled in trigger-editing.

Concerning the water surface, I answered you four posts earlier.

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-02-2004 @ 11:27 AM).]

daemon_chaz
Mortal
posted 02 June 2004 12:12 PM EDT (US)     727 / 2500       
The Vandhaal: Is this what could be my mist/lightning rain/cloud problem on my game (explained earlier)? I need a better graphics card? You can raise the graphics detail in the "options" menu on the Main Menu, right?
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 02 June 2004 12:17 PM EDT (US)     728 / 2500       

Quote:

I have been trying to create convincing scenarios for a while now, but many of the objects that I try to place, specifically mist, clouds, or lightning, don't work. I have a computer with Windows ME. Is this a problem with my computer or am I doing something wrong?

Is this the problem? Well, you have to describe it more exactly, "it doesn't work" won't let us know what's wrong.

oddy
Mortal
posted 02 June 2004 12:19 PM EDT (US)     729 / 2500       
Well, it must be my graphics card then...

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 02 June 2004 12:37 PM EDT (US)     730 / 2500       
No! Read answer #721! Dude, this is the third time I'm telling you this...
oddy
Mortal
posted 02 June 2004 02:03 PM EDT (US)     731 / 2500       
Well, it's a nice tool, beautiful water colors, but it doesn't create any surface waves. And it was the second time I forgot to say that it didn't work.

A condition is not a trigger.
An effect is not a trigger.
A trigger is a combination of one or more conditions and effects.
It causes effects to happen if and when conditions are met.
Period.
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 02 June 2004 02:19 PM EDT (US)     732 / 2500       
Well then... It doesn't change the colour, that somehow doesn't work... And the other two settings simply make the water darker, you were right. As I said, it's crap .
The_Mafia_Man
Mortal
posted 02 June 2004 03:32 PM EDT (US)     733 / 2500       
cheers antisback and isnt the reason for this sticky post to ask u questions if we have a problem!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ****** * The_Mafia_Man * ******* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * Practice makes perfect, but you cant be perfect, so why practice * * * * * *

Favourite AOM website
The Vandhaal
Mortal
posted 02 June 2004 03:39 PM EDT (US)     734 / 2500       
@daemon_chaz and Oddy

About the wave thing and the other features

Yes I am sure it has also to do something with the grafix card and drivers and ofcourse *direct X...why I am so sure I will tell you..

In one of my comps I put a newer grafix card......With my old card and the game settings to high detail I could not see the waves....(and also some other features) Once the new card was placed...tada!!...they where there

I am not sure this counts also for: blowing leaves and mist, etc etc because i hadn't tested them at that time... but it should be logical that those features need the same "grafix power" as the waves (I rather call them water rippels).

Some newer games like war of the ring also need a powerfull grafix card to see certain features (like interactive grass which moves when units are walking over it)

* Maybe you can install the latest direct X version, I believe its 9 (version 8 comes whith the original aom game), and update the video drivers at windowsupdate. Perhaps this helps to enable those features before you even consider to put in a new card

But to bad the water ripples do not show up at evrybodies comps...I sort of counted on that when I was designing my maps....so I turn this in a call for advice....

....should I put more detail in the water parts so the guys who do not see the ripples have also some nice things to look at...(sounds funny but I also mean it a bit serious)

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
HG moderators if you feel paranoid then translate the above here
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 12-31-2999 @ 23:59 PM).]

[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 06-02-2004 @ 03:40 PM).]

Beng4499
Mortal
posted 02 June 2004 04:03 PM EDT (US)     735 / 2500       
Hi again (my second question). I know this is probably really obviouse, but I can't figure out how to put a picture in the Spotlight section of the objectives box. I can get the text okay, but I can't get any picture except one with a bunch of letters in it. I tried putting in the name of the unit or technology, but that didn't work. Please enlighten me. I am pretty sure this isn't in the FAQ.
The Vandhaal
Mortal
posted 02 June 2004 04:48 PM EDT (US)     736 / 2500       
@Beng4499

I know what you mean.

It has something to do with the size/dimention of the images.

I think you cannot use the portraits pics but only some pics with a certain size.

(Sorry but I do not know exact which size and which pics but I am sure sombody else in here can tell you that)

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

El Vandhaal tiene gusto de las mujeres atractivas que usan los talones altos y las medias cosidas | Le Vandhaal qui aime les femmes qui portent des talons hauts et bas cousus.
More: ((( THE VANDHAAL WEBSITE)))(((STEAM VANDHAAL AOM EE COLLECTION)))(((VANDHAAL BLOG)))
The Vandhaal
Mortal
posted 02 June 2004 05:02 PM EDT (US)     737 / 2500       
I have a question about editing the overlay (map/norselands egypt etc)

Ok this is how far I came with info from the forums and Reyks page:

1)I need aomed to extract (downloaded it and understand it and aomed a original aomfile)
2)I need some grafix prog to edit the file (I got loads of them)
3)If I am finished I need to convert the images back (Ok roger this two)

Now what I like to get some help on or a referre to a thread where it is explained:

I basicly only want to edit the image of the MAP in the background campaign menu ( As I have understand it is composed out of several parts)

Where can I find those images which make up lets say.. the map of the Norselands ( As said before I already have extracted some aom campaign files)

Well I think I can find info on how to put it back and where to place it in the gamefolders and the campaign file myself...somewhere here in the forums or on Reyks page but if you can give me some more tips on things which I have to consider..I am all open for them

Thanx in advance,
The Vandhaal

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

antisback
Mortal
posted 03 June 2004 03:25 AM EDT (US)     738 / 2500       
Ok what you do is you use aomed to convert ...\textures\ui\campmap_[atlantis]1.ddt (you can change atlantis into greece ,eygypt or norseland) This is the top corner change it the way you want then change it back. do the same for all of the up to campmap_atlantis12.ddt and there you have it.
ps Try to keep questions like that to the ai/modding forums

As a matter of my own question, is there anywhere in these forums for posting about coding in utility programs.

(¯`-.Proud Member of Ambition Designs and professer at Tsuniversity.-´¯)

Curent projects:
The Job 25% Complete Hot

Antisbackfiles.tk
For a guide on how to make WMV trailers for you campaign click Here

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 03 June 2004 04:00 AM EDT (US)     739 / 2500       

Quoted from The_Mafia_Man:

cheers antisback and isnt the reason for this sticky post to ask u questions if we have a problem!

Dude, we're doing this voluntarily and are not obliged to help some total newbees with questions like "How do I unlock the camera?"! This is just Spam which we don't need here, this is ment for moderate or advanced designers that have interresting questions and not such an annoying flood of questions that have been answered a thousand times!

@ Beng4499: Check out these pages; Spotlights for AoM and Spotlights for AoMtT, there you can see the pics and the names you have to enter. It is also possible to make new ones, but there are enough to pick out a suitable one (I think).

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-03-2004 @ 04:03 AM).]

rpghost
Mortal
posted 03 June 2004 05:16 AM EDT (US)     740 / 2500       
can anyone here help me once d/l mods what do u do? i tried doing what it says but it sounds like gibberish

im rpg_host on AOM online and im slayerz_333 and im randolph333
thnx,RPG_HOST
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 03 June 2004 05:20 AM EDT (US)     741 / 2500       
First-off, the "Report Bad Reviews" thread isn't supposed to answer questions.
Then, what have you downloaded and what says the readme? Post the readme here, please, we might give you further explanations.
The Vandhaal
Mortal
posted 03 June 2004 06:38 AM EDT (US)     742 / 2500       
Hello all

First of all Thanx antisback for the answer on the overlay.

I have another question (yep again)

I'm in the middle of testing and test the game on various comps...On one of the comps some terrain textures have changed on the map.

I know this means that the original terrain textures are not aviable in that comp..but as I didn't mod any of they they must have come in the editor on another way....at least I think so

(i have aom and tt installed on the same time and installed shortly after i started messing with the editor the neweditor....this counts for all the comps on which i am testing.
so sorry that i do not know what is original and what not)

The terrain textures are: slingstone and earthcore (looks the same as the side of the map when it is elevated).

Can anyone please confirm whether these are not original terrain textures?

If not..is there an easy way to put them in the downloadfile so others can also install them?

I hope there is a simple way for this because otherwise i have to redo parts of all the maps where these terrains are used.

Sorry but although it looks like modding this isn't about it at least not on purpose

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

[This message has been edited by The Vandhaal (edited 06-03-2004 @ 06:39 AM).]

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 03 June 2004 08:11 AM EDT (US)     743 / 2500       
Hm... I'm afraid I haven't quite got it, but the first thing you should try is to download the newest graphics card driver.
antisback
Mortal
posted 03 June 2004 10:12 AM EDT (US)     744 / 2500       
well I dont have slingstone or earth core so these are obviously modded textures, but then again I dont have the new editor so..

(¯`-.Proud Member of Ambition Designs and professer at Tsuniversity.-´¯)

Curent projects:
The Job 25% Complete Hot

Antisbackfiles.tk
For a guide on how to make WMV trailers for you campaign click Here

King Jared
Mortal
posted 03 June 2004 01:53 PM EDT (US)     745 / 2500       
The Vandhaal, those are not original AoM textures. To add them to your campaign, simply add the modified terraintypes.xml file in the ...\Age of Mythology\textures\terrain, as well as the new DDT files (whatever those may be), to whatever installer you make for your campaign. If you don't make an installer, just leave instructions to put those files in the relevant directory. Regarding the various effects that aren't appearing, is your game set to low graphics or high graphics? It may simply be that your game is set to low graphics, and thus some of the high-CPU-usage particle effects aren't showing up, even though they've been placed on the map.

As for the business with the spotlight pics and overlays, it's quite simple, with very little "modding", if it can even be called that, involved. For the spotlights, simply take a screenshot or whatnot and cut out an area of 256 x 128 pixels. Then name it as you wish, and convert it to a DDT using AoMEd, setting 16-bit, no alpha [0], 5 mip-map levels. Then place the DDT in the ...\Age of Mythology\textures folder. To make it show up in the scenario, put the DDT filename (minus the extension) in the appropriate field of the objectives menu. For a campaign menu, the background must be an image 1024 x 768 pixels in size, like a PC desktop. The image must then be divided into twelve sections, 256 x 256 pixels in size, each section renamed as you wish (ie. backround01.bmp, backround02.bmp, backround03.bmp, etc.), and converted to DDT format, setting paletted (16-bit), no alpha [2], 1 mip-map level. Then place those DDTs in the ...\Age of Mythology\textures\ui folder. After that, just look in one of the original campaign files on how to set up the background, replacing the BackgroundSet name with one of your choosing, and the section filenames with those of your own DDTs. I'll also point out that position one refers to the top left corner of the divided image, and moves left to right from then on. Let me know if any of that needs clarification.

rpghost, here's a quick rundown of the most common files included in a modpack and where they should go. The proto(x).xmb/xml, or the techtree(x).xmb/xml will go in the ...\Age of Mythology\data folder. Any files with ..._anim.txt go in the ...\anim folder. Any files with DDT as the extension generally go in the ...\textures folder, unless it's got, say, "icon" in the title. Those'd go in the ...\textures\icons folder. Any files with ..._snds.xmb/xml, or the SoundSets(-xpack).xmb/xml, or custom WAVs go in the ...\sound folder. Any history texts go in the ...\history for AoM, or ...\history2 for AoMx, plus the ...\units or ...\techs subdirectories. And the (xpack)language.dll simply goes in the ...\Age of Mythology folder, if included in the modpack. Like I said, those are the most common types of files. There are several others I didn't bother to mention. If the proto(x).xmb/xml wasn't included... well, instructions should be in the README.

And again, despite antisback's comments a few replies ago, I encourage all forumers to ask any questions at all related to Age of Mythology, including modding questions... I'll at least be happy to answer them.

By the way, to any modders out there that include custom sounds with their units, it turns out that one can use files in the MP3 format. It was commonly believed that only WAVs would work, as all the original unit sounds were in this format. But it seems that assumption was incorrect, or so I've been told by a reliable source... haven't tried it myself yet, so I hope I'm not making an ass of myself here. Has someone already discovered this by chance?

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 03 June 2004 01:57 PM EDT (US)     746 / 2500       
King Jared, of course people should be encouraged to ask questions, but you haven't entirely followed the procedure:
The same two guys ask about five times a day (each guy) questions like "How do you mod" or "How do I make units bigger?". It's pure spam. If you were active here daily, you could answer those questions, but I (and oddy, too, I guess) won't.

EDIT: What's your campaign doing ?

[This message has been edited by AoMPlayer000 (edited 06-03-2004 @ 01:58 PM).]

Beng4499
Mortal
posted 03 June 2004 03:15 PM EDT (US)     747 / 2500       
Well, AoMPlayer000, I went to those web sites you said to go to, but there was a slight problem. The websites weren't in English (I think it was either German, or Russian,I'm not sure) and I only speak/read English fluently. They looked like the stuff I needed, but I had no idea what it said. If you could help me out, that would be great. Sorry to be trouble for you, I know how busy you guys are.
AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 03 June 2004 03:20 PM EDT (US)     748 / 2500       

Quote:

Russian

ROFL
No, that was German. Well, you have seen the pics, haven't you? All you have to do is to enter the names under the pics in the field "Spotlight Picture" in the objectives editor. And no, I'm not that busy right now, otherwise I wouldn't hang out in the forums at this moment .
The Vandhaal
Mortal
posted 03 June 2004 09:08 PM EDT (US)     749 / 2500       
Thanx for the answer King Jared,

To bad I haven't noticed earlier that both textures wheren't origunal in the game...because I only wanted to work with original stuff...but thanx for the very clear answers.

Quote:

Regarding the various effects that aren't appearing

I think you have mistaken me for someone else (only the terrain textures do not turn up when i installed the campaign on my other comps the why is clear now)

Oddy and daemon_chaz had a question about the water ripples and the other effects. I told them the same about the high and low detail game settings and some stuff which i had experienced with different grafix cards.

..but it is always good if more independend views come to the same conclusion.

Thanx again for the answer

and AOMplayer I hope not that you think I am a spammer..loL....I also answer some questions if I know them..

thinking German is Russian..LoL but Aomplayer is right the Pics on Reyks website tell you all you need Beng4499.... image language is universal..

BEST REGARDS,
THE VANDHAAL

Mythic_noobNL
Mortal
posted 04 June 2004 00:57 AM EDT (US)     750 / 2500       
How can I turn the titan gate text of ? (which shows the % complete)

Proud member of Ambition Designs

Rule # 1: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start it !

-Edmund Blackadder

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 28 29 30 31 32 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 90 ··· 100  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames