You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.177 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Scenario Announcement: THE LOST LEGION
Bottom
Topic Subject:Scenario Announcement: THE LOST LEGION
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7  Next Page »
Oscar
Mortal
posted 25 September 2004 10:39 AM EDT (US)         
THE LOST LEGION

"One moment, they stood under the skies of Gaul, facing each other in a strange duel of survival. In the hand of the Roman tribune Marcus Scarus was the spell-scribed sword of a Druid priest. The Celtic chieftain Viridovix held a similar sword, bespelled by a rival Druid sorcerer. Then, as the two swords touched, a dome of golden light flared out and surrounded Marcus, Viridovix, and three cohorts of Caesar's legions. The next moment, they found themselves under a strange night sky where no stars were familiar and where Gaul and Rome were unknown. They were in an outpost of the embattled Empire of Videssos - in a world where magic and dark sorcery would test their skill and courage as no Roman legion had ever been tested before."

FEATURES
-scenario freely ispired by the Videssos cycle by Harry Turtledove
-1222 triggers
-1000x1000 map
-about fifty various tasks
-custom sound track
-about fifty minutes of cinematics

CHARACTERS
Marcus Aemilius Scarus: Roman tribune
Viridovix: Celtic chieftain
Gaius Philippus: Roman centurion
Gorgidas: Greek healer
Mavrikios Gavras: emperor of Videssos
Thorsin Gavras: Mavrikios'brother
Verotios Gavras: Mavrikios'nephew
Balsamon: magician and imperial advisor
Vardanes Sphrantzes: prime minister of Videssos
Wulgash: king of Yezd
Avshar: leader of the sorcerers of Skotos
Sorcer of Skotos:follower of Avshar
Leidar: Avshar's collaborator
Gagik Bagratouni: weapons merchant
Zemarkos: xenophobic rebel
Vorek: trader
Eliond: Namdalean commander
Arghum: Arshaum king
Neferiti: Arghum's daughter
Nephostos: Videssosian officer
Arig: vagabond from the north
Alphia: queen of Dilbat

SCREENSHOTS (beta)
Videssos World (updated)
cinematic map example
celtic assault
arrival in Videssos
Imperial Army
Avshar archer
elephants charge
Thorsin's coronation
road block
small siege
Prista
parade
holy fire test
dialogue over Agder
door
escape
flight
marine storm
desert convoy
throne room
underworld
titan
roc
battlefield
arrowsrain
invocation
titanarrival

PROGRESS
map design: 100%
triggers and cinematics: 100%
sound track: 100%
English traslation: 100%
file size reduction: 100%

DOWNLOAD
ending cinematic:
1)low resolution (320x240 pixels) (WMV file, 17 MB):
http://creare.altervista.org/The_Lost_Legion(ending_cinematic).zip
2)high resolution (640x480 pixels) (WMV file, 34 MB):
http://creare.altervista.org/The_Lost_Legion (ending cinematic) High Resolution.zip
3)English version of the map (about 8 mb):
http://creare.altervista.org/THE LOST LEGION.zip
(please read the readme.txt before playing the scenario)
(if the links don't work don't click on the links but copy and past them)

RELEASE DATE
december

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
Proud member of no ****ing clan
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

rest in peace Compy (February 2001, May 2006)
Scenario Editor Screens

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 12-26-2004 @ 09:57 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Oscar
Mortal
posted 26 December 2004 09:01 AM EDT (US)     151 / 177       

Quote:

No, they mere mass of anubites (2x30, I'd say) blocked the bridge, or even already the path through these few tents. Then I couldn't move any more and, well, they killed me.

I've just tested the map and I haven't found this bug. The movings and the speed of Anubites work correctly. You are the first person to show me this error, the Italian playtesters and players have never notice it.
Maybe this error happens because you have saved the game immediately after the trasformation of the two Romans in scouts and every time you load that saved game while the game is loading the anubites start moving inexplicablely too early

Quote:

Hey oscar, are you thinking about making any new scns after this or do you dread the thought of spending another couple of months trudgeing away through another scn

The most important things for me in this period are my exams and the editor has already stolen too much time ...

Quote:

It is getting rather tiresome and half the time I do not understand really what is going on in the story.

Well, the story has been really simplified comparing it to the real one told in Turtledove's books. I've deleteted all love stories, all political tangles and all matters concerning the religion of Videssos. For example in my scenario Marcus Aemilius Scarus is accused of murdering the son of Thorsin. Instead in the books is accused of cospiring against Thorsin becuase he fell inlove with his daughter. This love, kept secret by the two lovers, was discovered by a Videssian officer envious of Marcus, and the emperor, being afraid that from their love could born an heir that in the future could claim the imperial office, send Marcus away from the capital. Another example are the bad relationships between Namdaleans and videssians: in my scenario Videssians are envious of Namdaleans'richness, in the real story Videssians accuse Namdaleans of being heretical, in fact the have a different concept of God (Phos, god of the Sun).

Quote:

Some objectives like the one where 3 scouts must avoid anubite guards are a bit too difficult. One shouldn't have to read the hints to complete an objective

In the readme.txt there is this statement:
"read carefully the objectives and the hints in the objectives section"

Quote:

Destroy the old heroes! I'm annoyed at having two of my group numbers "unusable" because it is taken up by cinematic blocks. If you don't want to destroy them, convert them to anotehr player so that they are no longer in the groups

I keep the same units for two reasons:
1) to limit the number of triggers: every time you use for example Viridovix (=huskarl) there are two triggers to regenerate his life and another one to stop the game when he dies.
2) I think that is a positive thing that the starting units are the same the arrived until the end.

Quote:

Some of the ship traveling done in cinematics and not gameplay. It takes quite a bit of time and becomes boring.

In a huge map is normal to take a long time to coplete a journey. In any case I've increased the speed of the transports, for example the Atlantean transport ship that bring the Romans to Amorions looks like a motorboat...

Quote:

Don't overlap the music so much. It doesn't always sound good

The sound track has been really a huge problem considering the lenght of the cinematics (about 50 minutes): I've take just a week to choose the appropriate tracks. Maybe this aspect could be improved but I really have more important things to do in my life!

Quote:

Not sure about this but have you tried "You Lose" effect instead of set player defeated? That way you don't have to resign and see the entire map revealed. Also suggest using fade to black

good suggestion, I will apply it in the new version.

Quote:

Personally I think perhaps this should have been done on multiple maps - instead of all on one. That way it doesn't lag so much or take long to load.

Quote:

1000x1000 metres map

This is the problem.

totaly agree with you, unfortunately I realised this problem just when I reached half of the map but at that point I didn't have any intentions to throw away the scenario and to start a campaign from the beginning.

EDIT: the map can be downloaded here:
http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3770
I will post soon a new version.

RAF The Dragon Cult Empires Fallen City AOM TT SCIPIO 1.1 LOTB The Lost Legion The Guardians Adventurers 1&2&3
_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

Scenario Editor Screens

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 12-26-2004 @ 01:50 PM).]

Auron_
Mortal
(id: auron 2)
posted 26 December 2004 11:06 AM EDT (US)     152 / 177       
right on Oscar!

Auron: || Aurons Site || Aurons AoM:TT Creations || MY POETRY WEBSITE ||
Zargax
Mortal
(id: Overlord Zargax)
posted 26 December 2004 01:54 PM EDT (US)     153 / 177       
Meh, I understood the story perfectly, haven't run into any bugs yet.
pftq
Mortal
posted 26 December 2004 02:07 PM EDT (US)     154 / 177       

Quote:

I keep the same units for two reasons:
1) to limit the number of triggers: every time you use for example Viridovix (=huskarl) there are two triggers to regenerate his life and another one to stop the game when he dies.
2) I think that is a positive thing that the starting units are the same the arrived until the end.

Like I said, use the convert effect then. That clears the units from the group so the player can't select them. Then when you need them for player 1, convert them back.

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 26 December 2004 04:51 PM EDT (US)     155 / 177       
I've download The Lost Legion, and... as Oscar's previous scenarios, the design of the map, particularly the building architecture is magnificent! The creativity and building design are definitely 10.0 out of 5.0!

The only bad thing about this scenario is that the map is WAY TOO BIG (1000x1000), and thus, it causes a lot of lag, and I can barely play through the missions.

To Oscar: are you currently attending college? If you are, have you ever thought about majoring in Architecture? You certainly have the natural talents and creativity in designing buildings.

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 26 December 2004 04:55 PM EDT (US)     156 / 177       
The lag was okay IMO.
Villi
Mortal
posted 26 December 2004 08:11 PM EDT (US)     157 / 177       
It's out! And I can't DL it *Kicks pc with ****ed up javascript*

I think FOG.
Hikari
Mortal
(id: echowinds)
posted 26 December 2004 08:34 PM EDT (US)     158 / 177       
Too bad then.

Zargax
Mortal
posted 26 December 2004 09:36 PM EDT (US)     159 / 177       
Well, I've finished it. Took me a bloody 6 hours to do it, though. I won't give away any of the story, but I'll say that it rivals that of "Fall of the Trident". One question though. Does the legion make it back to Rome in later books?

Anyway, the only 2 problems I 've had are 1) the lag. Even though this is a 1000x1000 map, if you turn it to Low Graphics, it is lagless in most places, but it is extremely laggy in several battles and generally in places with a lot of objects. 2) The ending movie, though spectacular, came up kind of abruptly after the final mission, which was far too easy. You just defend for about 10 seconds and then you get massive allied reinforcements? You could have at least made some of the final battle playable.

That said, there were no technical bugs I found, which is amazing in a scenario with this many triggers. Everything else was just...perfect. Thank you, Oscar!

Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 27 December 2004 05:23 PM EDT (US)     160 / 177       
File is up, I haven't tried it myself, but looks great

kan_apo
Mortal
posted 27 December 2004 05:55 PM EDT (US)     161 / 177       
Excellent work Oscar. It really raised the standards in AoM. The map design and the cinematics are a piece of art.
Now which one of the admins will dare to reduce the ratings of all the other scns by half a point and then be hated by half of the community?

not to underestimate anyones work of cource, there is a scn of my own somewhere there too anyway

Oscar
Mortal
posted 28 December 2004 06:21 PM EDT (US)     162 / 177       

Quote:

Like I said, use the convert effect then. That clears the units from the group so the player can't select them. Then when you need them for player 1, convert them back.

Now understand but I think that is easier to renumber the units every time it is necessary.

Quote:

are you currently attending college? If you are, have you ever thought about majoring in Architecture? You certainly have the natural talents and creativity in designing buildings

The college doesn't exist in Italy (and in my opinion in the whole Europe, too). I'm attending the first year of the Environmental Engineering university of Trento that doesn't have to do anything with Architecture...

Quote:

Does the legion make it back to Rome in later books?

No, they don't. The Emperor Thorsin Gavras gave to every legionary an arable land, Marcus Aemilius Scarus married a doughter of the Emperor, the centurion Caius Philippus became the instructor of the Imperial army, Gorgidas a historian and finally Viridovix never gave up scandalizing the imperial court because his love stories (one of them with Thorsin's lover)

Quote:

The ending movie, though spectacular, came up kind of abruptly after the final mission, which was far too easy. You just defend for about 10 seconds and then you get massive allied reinforcements? You could have at least made some of the final battle playable

Totaly agree but considering the great amount of time a pc takes to load a savedgame and the lag in that point of the map I preferred to make an easy final mission.

Quote:

Now which one of the admins will dare to reduce the ratings of all the other scns by half a point and then be hated by half of the community

don't pay heed to him

_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

Scenario Editor Screens

[This message has been edited by Oscar (edited 12-28-2004 @ 06:22 PM).]

Hikari
Mortal
posted 28 December 2004 06:31 PM EDT (US)     163 / 177       
Lol, I suck, I still can't beat it yet.

Alexandergreat3
Mortal
posted 28 December 2004 08:06 PM EDT (US)     164 / 177       

Quote:

The college doesn't exist in Italy (and in my opinion in the whole Europe, too). I'm attending the first year of the Environmental Engineering university of Trento that doesn't have to do anything with Architecture...

I should have said the word University instead of College to be more specific to avoid confusion (University is also the same as saying a 4-year+ College). I'm surprised you're not studying Architecture, or at least Arts . You seem to have so much creativity, so if you ever change your course of study, you might want to consider becoming an Architect.

Ciao

kan_apo
Mortal
posted 28 December 2004 08:35 PM EDT (US)     165 / 177       

Quote:

Now which one of the admins will dare to reduce the ratings of all the other scns by half a point and then be hated by half of the community?

Quote:

don't pay heed to him

That was meant to be a complimentary joke?
Gee, thank you too

pftq
Mortal
posted 28 December 2004 10:30 PM EDT (US)     166 / 177       

Quoted from Oscar:

Now understand but I think that is easier to renumber the units every time it is necessary.

Well I had to keep changing number groups up to six or seven. Just something to keep in mind for your later scenarios.

Ok I finished. The cinematics are awesome as well as the eye candy as always.

@AOMPlayer: THe anubites didn't bother me. I just shot straight to the spot on the minimap - didn't stop. I think you stopped and let the anubites jump in front of you. If you don't stop, you should be able to get on the bridge and shoot pass them.

The final cinematic was a bit disappointing compared to what you recorded though. THe music overlapped horribly - many times about 20-30 seconds over. Another thing to keep in mind - use fade sound. Put it right before the sound file name effect (same trigger).

Great scenario - I thought the fire titan in the underground was awesome.

Zargax
Mortal
posted 28 December 2004 10:37 PM EDT (US)     167 / 177       
I will review by tomorrow night, will give it either a 5.0 or a 4.8, depending on my mood.
pftq
Mortal
posted 29 December 2004 00:06 AM EDT (US)     168 / 177       
Ok I've given some thought and I think I know what you're trying to do Oscar so please read carefully:

I notice in the recording, you extended the faded parts so the entire song plays.

If you wish to do this in the real thing, use the Fire Trigger that's part of the soundfile name effect. It'll fire the next trigger AFTER the song is over.

So basically, you can make it not "unfade" until the song is over.

I hope this helps.

pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 29 December 2004 01:17 PM EDT (US)     169 / 177       
Just downloaded the file, off to play it and will rate it when finished.

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
---------------------------
S . P . Q . R
---------------------------
comming soon
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 29 December 2004 02:18 PM EDT (US)     170 / 177       
Dude, I freaken loved it, god, not as much as eye candy as to simply look good, but it actually contributes to the gameplay and stuff! I loved the whole map thing, how come I never thought of that?

AoMPlayer000
Banned
posted 29 December 2004 02:25 PM EDT (US)     171 / 177       

Quote:

@AOMPlayer: THe anubites didn't bother me. I just shot straight to the spot on the minimap - didn't stop. I think you stopped and let the anubites jump in front of you. If you don't stop, you should be able to get on the bridge and shoot pass them.

I guess I just saved too late.
Hikari
Mortal
posted 29 December 2004 03:52 PM EDT (US)     172 / 177       

Quote:

I loved the whole map thing

Oscar
Mortal
posted 30 December 2004 11:09 AM EDT (US)     173 / 177       

Quote:

That was meant to be a complimentary joke?
Gee, thank you too

Don't weigh to much my words kan_apo, because my bad knowledge of English language often I write something with a different meaning from what I want to say. Forgive me if I've offended you.

Quote:

The final cinematic was a bit disappointing compared to what you recorded though. THe music overlapped horribly - many times about 20-30 seconds over. Another thing to keep in mind - use fade sound. Put it right before the sound file name effect (same trigger).

The overlapped music depends from the "performances" of your pc. The soundtrack works correctly on an atlon 2000+, 1.67 GHz and 256 MB RAM (my pc). On a more powerful pc the length of the cinematics will be shorter and the the music will be overlapped, instead on a less powerful pc the music will be too much short.

Quote:

If you wish to do this in the real thing, use the Fire Trigger that's part of the soundfile name effect. It'll fire the next trigger AFTER the song is over.

I'm going to try it when I have some free time.

_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

Scenario Editor Screens
Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 30 December 2004 11:27 AM EDT (US)     174 / 177       
I'm trying to play it again. So far everything is great except a few parts of the map that seemed neglected and the overwhelming lag/loading times. Haven't gotten any overlapping music problems though.

512X512 map= the key. You can place all the eye candy you want and it won't lag that much. Good scn overall, might review if I ever finish it, probably remove some points for the lag though.

Lord of terroR
Mortal
posted 30 December 2004 01:12 PM EDT (US)     175 / 177       
OMG, may all the other scen pail in comarison to this one

i have lag at the start, after my comp has loaded it i dont have a problem.

but my comp is a monster

The power of hell is coming...
FoH; Forces of Hell
pftq
Mortal
posted 30 December 2004 02:16 PM EDT (US)     176 / 177       
@Oscar: Right I was thinking you wouldn't let it overlap like that. Well, just something to keep in mind in future scenarios I guess. Definitely use the Trigger feature in the Sound File Name effect.
Oscar
Mortal
posted 01 January 2005 05:01 PM EDT (US)     177 / 177       
Recently I'm too busy to work on the new version of the map and often I haven't even enought time to visit the forum...
In any case happy new year to every one thanks for all replies and comments.

_
_|_|_
|_|_|_|
|_|

Scenario Editor Screens
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames