You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.64 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Realms of Myth, an Aomfiles contest
Bottom
Topic Subject:Realms of Myth, an Aomfiles contest
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
TheodenKing
Mortal
posted 17 December 2004 07:00 AM EDT (US)         
There has been a Poll at AomFiles, and the community voted they wanted a scenario design contest. And so I, TheOdenKing, prominent POTD viewer(), am proud to present Realms of Myth, our biggest (if not first) scenario contest!

Scenarios will be judged on many aspects. This contest will be different in that it does not have one catagory. You can submit ANY KIND of scenario (meaning adaption of something already made, original, RPG, linear, etc.) You can make anything SINGLE-PLAYER. We have five awards that will be given:

Best Story: A scenario with a beautiful, creative, deep, and compelling plot line, personality, and idea.

Best Eye Candy: Obviously, a scenario with amazing visuals, cinematics, and a lot of time put into the appearance.

Best Technical/Trigger Work: Scenario with advanced scripted events, cycles, and simply a lot of technical work.

Best Innovation: A scenario with a truly unique idea, plot, character, or gameplay element.

Best Adaption/Representation: This scenario will use an idea already created, but will be judged on how well that idea was represented. Note: this catagory excludes LotR and historical events up until AD 1200.

There you have it. There will essentially be five winners, one for each catagory. You will not have to apply for a specific catagory, so if you want the eye candy award, you are still eligible for the best story. There will, however, be only one winner in each catagory. Here are the details:

Deadline: All entries must be in by February 1, 2005.

Send To: Send all files as an e-mail attachment to Zeus174@aomfiles.com. Title the e-mail Realms of Myth_entry name. The e-mail itself must have your name, username, scenario title, and any info you need to include.

Mods: You are free to use mods if you have the permission of the creator of the mod. If you do so, need to mention that creator in your e-mail. Mods will not count toward the judging, though they can add to how compelling the story is. I mean that they will not be judged on how they look, but only as they add to the scenario.

Judging: The judges consist of Zeus174, s7092910, and tekn04, all mappers in the prominent AoM Modder/Mapper Clan (Whose famed LotR Project comes out soon, and of which I am a part too.) More judges may be chosen from that clan.

Well, that's it. Any questions can be e-mailed to Zeus174@aomfiles.com or posted here or at AomFiles (you will get a faster response if you e-mail Zeus174). Good luck in winning and have a great journey through the Realms of Myth!

This message has been edited by TheodenKing, and it was originally posted by Zeus174 on 12-16-2004 at AomFiles

[This message has been edited by TheodenKing (edited 12-28-2004 @ 09:52 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
waveslave
Mortal
(id: waveslave610)
posted 18 December 2004 09:09 PM EDT (US)     26 / 64       
This should bring AoMFiles back from the grave.
Zeus174
Mortal
posted 18 December 2004 11:12 PM EDT (US)     27 / 64       
The deadline is April 1st, not February 1st. I think one could get a good project done then.

When I said the someone in the AoMM/MC would probably win, I meant that one of the members' entries would win one of the awards, simply because of the skill of the mappers there. I didn't mean that in such a general sense. By the way, campaigns are not allowed. Even if they were, the AoMM/MC wouldn't send in LotR. It's a huge project and not for a contest like this.

Oh, and I read your post on the front page. Just wanted to point out that myself, Zeus174, representing AoMFiles, not Theodenking is hosting the contest. Thanks for putting it there.

Rest in peace, Flip. The AoM community will never be the same.

[This message has been edited by Zeus174 (edited 12-18-2004 @ 11:14 PM).]

pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 06:16 AM EDT (US)     28 / 64       
Yes April is good.

Quote:

When I said the someone in the AoMM/MC would probably win, I meant that one of the members' entries would win one of the awards, simply because of the skill of the mappers there. I didn't mean that in such a general sense. By the way, campaigns are not allowed. Even if they were, the AoMM/MC wouldn't send in LotR. It's a huge project and not for a contest like this

I still disagree but that is my opinion. Glad to hear campaigns are not aloud, makes the contest more fair. Perhaps we shall have a campaign contest in the not to distant future?

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
---------------------------
S . P . Q . R
comming soon
theNodgene1
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 07:25 AM EDT (US)     29 / 64       
Or perhaps a multiplayer scenario contest...
You've got more than one judge for these events so why not use that to your advantage.
pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 09:38 AM EDT (US)     30 / 64       
yes multiplayer would be a great contest to do.. Pirates & Merchants *cough* winner *cough

S . P . Q . R
comming soon
theNodgene1
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 11:52 AM EDT (US)     31 / 64       
You'd be suprised what I'd be able to make for a multiplayer contest
Now... Question for zeus... Ummmmm...

Will there be any limitations of scenarios- for example, the scenario must not be announced before hand, any other unancouned similarities or differences between this and the aomh one?

pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 01:06 PM EDT (US)     32 / 64       
although Zeus said annoounced scenarios are permitted i blieve it should be otherwise. In that case some designers could have months of extra time which is simply not fair on the ones who play by the book and start a new project. Please take that into consideration if you modify the rules.

S . P . Q . R
comming soon
theNodgene1
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 02:40 PM EDT (US)     33 / 64       
this is true, although perhaps it'll just get designers who want to win it to get into a mad frenzy to produce god in scenario form :|
pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 03:22 PM EDT (US)     34 / 64       
isn't that half the fun

S . P . Q . R
comming soon
Treebeard III
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 08:20 PM EDT (US)     35 / 64       
I think - being a modder that mods should be excluded - or at least the scenario should not be judged on the mods in any way - or this may end up like a modding comp. because it would be a major disadvantage to the people who cant mod or dont have acces to mods- so i think that mods should be excluded.

[This message has been edited by Treebeard III (edited 12-19-2004 @ 08:29 PM).]

Zeus174
Mortal
posted 19 December 2004 09:04 PM EDT (US)     36 / 64       
The mod quality will not be judged on the scenarios. i know that some people need mods just because the game doesn't include a given item.

About announced projects, they are allowed, however clan projects or group projects with more than four people are not.

I will be leaving for about a week for Christmas, so I won't be able to keep up with this post. Please send all important questions to Zeus174@aomfiles.com. I mean it! Please! Don't hesitate in the least! I won't have access to my e-mail, either, but it will enable me to easily sort through the important stuff when I return.

By the way, multiplayer scenarios are still not allowed, but next contest we have, they probably will. Campaigns will be after that, if this one goes well.

Please tell any n00bs that don't read this messaget o e-mail me, ok? Thanks.

Archaeopterix
Mortal
posted 20 December 2004 01:39 PM EDT (US)     37 / 64       
Are these things allowed:
- custom music
- custom sound effects
- custom voices
- mods
- AI
?
Skydragon
Mortal
posted 20 December 2004 02:15 PM EDT (US)     38 / 64       
I'd say that custom music is allowed (or else...). But the custom voices... naaaw, that way the ones that do include them would get an unfair advantage

Always flying around at Ambition Designs.
If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start ! -Edmund Blackadder
Archaeopterix
Mortal
posted 20 December 2004 02:27 PM EDT (US)     39 / 64       
Why would that be unfair? Everyone has the opportunity to include voices...
But on the other hand, voice acting doesn't have anything to do with scenario designing... In that case I kinda agree with you.
Villi
Mortal
posted 20 December 2004 05:07 PM EDT (US)     40 / 64       
Is there any prizes? Are seperate intro & ending cinematic(s) allowed? (In seperate scens to reduse lag)

I think FOG.
pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 20 December 2004 06:19 PM EDT (US)     41 / 64       
@ Villi: i've asked this twice already but been ignored both times, maybe they are trying to avoid the question as to not discourage enterees.

@ Arch: Voice acting does have something to do with design, it boosts the actrual feel of cinematics etc. If AOM campaign was made without voices it would have affected the campaign on a large scale. I think they should be allowed but for cinematic use only. Custom Music and SFX definately should be allowed and Zeus has already declared that Mods are permitted (see main thread). Not sure about cutom AIO though, suppose it should be if mods are permitted

S . P . Q . R
comming soon
Zeus174
Mortal
posted 20 December 2004 07:27 PM EDT (US)     42 / 64       
I haven't left yet, but I'll answer this question. Please send any further questions to my e-mail.

I will look into prizes. I'll have to consult my network admin. Seperate intro and ending cinematics will be allowed, if they add to the scenario in any tangible way.

All of the custom things you mentioned are allowed.

[This message has been edited by Zeus174 (edited 12-20-2004 @ 07:28 PM).]

Archaeopterix
Mortal
posted 22 December 2004 10:01 AM EDT (US)     43 / 64       
TheodenKing
Mortal
posted 22 December 2004 11:33 AM EDT (US)     44 / 64       
Thanks for that.

I think Zeus'll be back soon

The Oden King
-LFS--LTA-
Archaeopterix
Mortal
posted 22 December 2004 03:11 PM EDT (US)     45 / 64       
Okay. I'm 90% sure I'll be participating, by the way. Working on a scenario already: concept 100%, map design 30%, triggers 1%, AI 40%, Sound 0%
conserd
Mortal
posted 22 December 2004 03:45 PM EDT (US)     46 / 64       
^Seen some betas, must say im impressed. ALOT of work made in the "secret" things. Very , very original concept and map design. i havent seen it before ...
Villi
Mortal
posted 22 December 2004 05:56 PM EDT (US)     47 / 64       
If seperate intro & ending cinematic(s) are allowed, I'll participate if I can get my scen done.

I think FOG.

[This message has been edited by Villi (edited 12-22-2004 @ 05:57 PM).]

Hikari
Mortal
(id: echowinds)
posted 22 December 2004 06:04 PM EDT (US)     48 / 64       
The only thing I am good at is screenies, storyline, and eye-candy. I wonder can I make a map with awesome eye-candy and have just a guy walking around? Lol.

pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 22 December 2004 08:36 PM EDT (US)     49 / 64       

Quote:

however clan projects or group projects with more than four people are not.

If you work on a project with four or less people then you could still enter according to Zeus. So you could just do the design and storyline.

S . P . Q . R
comming soon
Gaurdian_112
Banned
posted 26 December 2004 01:26 PM EDT (US)     50 / 64       
Hey, I think I will be entering this contest with another scn in developement.

I just have a question, why don't you link us to some sort of 'page' for the contest, create a logo for it, etc..- make it look better?

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames