Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.70 replies, Closed
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Posting in colours
Bottom
Topic Subject:Posting in colours
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Paperfriend
Mortal
posted 23 January 2006 06:57 AM EDT (US)         
Some people have recently discovered that you can post in colours, in bold and even in italics on these forums. This is of course very handy for things like showcases, guides, etc. But people have started to abuse it. For some reason we suddenly have to select the text - so we can read the now white text - before we know what it is about.

This has been leading to the aggressive reactions from other forummers, and I hope we can ban the annoying colour-abuse without damaging things like showcases, guides, signatures? and other things.

AuthorReplies:
Paperfriend
Mortal
posted 24 January 2006 01:19 PM EDT (US)     26 / 70       
How long before I can stop pasting your texts into word?

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say
Prometheus4
Mortal
posted 24 January 2006 10:41 PM EDT (US)     27 / 70       
Proccessing = 0%

At least I don't post in colours and unneeded embelishments.

(I like adding colours because they make your posts stand out amidst others, but, since Sith is such a great person...)

Proccessing = 100%

At least I don't post in colours and unneeded embelishments.

[This message has been edited by Prometheus4 (edited 01-24-2006 @ 11:40 PM).]

papaya
ಠ_ಠ
(id: X_MOSS)
posted 24 January 2006 10:49 PM EDT (US)     28 / 70       
I would just like to say that I show ZERO respect towards those who post like that. I will probably ignore all of your posts. It is just a sign of immaturity, and being an attention *****. Think of it this way; it is more work for you, posting that code in every post, it makes the community mad, and you get shown no respect. So why is it worth it? I would just like to end my "rave" with this; why do you post in different fonts? Now don't go and answer this right away, take a little time to think about it.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
Alex
(VIP) Reverie World Studios
(id: pEpsIdUDe_123)
posted 24 January 2006 11:07 PM EDT (US)     29 / 70       
Nicely said Papaya

But, you took the link out of your signature. Lol, that was a funny sig PENISLAND

Prometheus4
Mortal
posted 24 January 2006 11:24 PM EDT (US)     30 / 70       
To Paypa

If you haven't noticed, I have turned over a new leaf, not because you, but because of Sith. Sith is the best!

Do you want me to take the colours out of my sig now?

[This message has been edited by Prometheus4 (edited 01-24-2006 @ 11:52 PM).]

Hikari
Mortal
(id: echowinds)
posted 25 January 2006 01:04 AM EDT (US)     31 / 70       
Colours in sigs are fine.

Prometheus4
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 01:38 AM EDT (US)     32 / 70       
How is this thread serving any purpose? We are supposed to be responding to a topic, but instead we're just critisizing eachother! This thread will be with "To Auron", "Post Comments Here", and "A Thank-You the Moderators" by tommorrow- if you know what I mean.

[This message has been edited by Prometheus4 (edited 01-25-2006 @ 06:37 PM).]

jml
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 04:14 AM EDT (US)     33 / 70       
Paperfriend
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 11:37 AM EDT (US)     34 / 70       

Quote:

How is this thread serving any purpose? We are supposed to be responding to a topic, but instead we're just critisizing eachother! This thread will be with "To Auron", "Post Comments Here", and A Thank-You the Moderators" by tommorrow- if you know what I mean.

I want to know what the rest of the community thinks about posting in colours and I would like a Cherub his/her attention about it. Maybe a few rules against it.

Thank you for your opinion,
Paperfriend

pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 12:09 PM EDT (US)     35 / 70       
I doubt any real progress in regard to banning embellishments and BB Codes in posts will prevail from this thread. I am totally for it personally but they aren't really breaking any rules and to be honest, it's not agrivating enough for me to say "right, time to boycott AOMh". People are free to use BB Codes as much as they wish and by doing so they aren't really causing any 'harm' as it were to the community. I just think they are wasting thier time typing out the BB Codes each time, seems to me as if they spend more time on BB Codes than they do on the content of the posts themselves.

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
---------------------------
S . P . Q . R
comming soon
Dude12345
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 12:32 PM EDT (US)     36 / 70       
Actually, it isn't much work at all.
I just have to use the little bar think. I can just click the stuff.

'/-~~''._/_/_/Sir Dundo\_\_\_.''~~-\'
|Winner of Botolf's Best Idea Award|
|~__/*Post your B-Day Here!*\__~|
/~-\* Rohirram Modpack-90%*/-~\
\___/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\___/
~'\______/¯¯\--/¯¯¯\--/¯¯\______/'~
*dude's big adventure courtesy of deadhead.
EaZy
Mortal
(id: EazY_Ben)
posted 25 January 2006 02:23 PM EDT (US)     37 / 70       
Sith
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 02:37 PM EDT (US)     38 / 70       
I have to admit guys, this doesn't really do much good to my confidence that if I were to allow HTML, it wouldn't be abused; the way things are going here, some people would put all their posts in <h1> </h1>, or use a million horizontal rules and such; if people can't use BB sensibly, how can I expect HTML to be used sensibly?
pharoh_elite
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 03:05 PM EDT (US)     39 / 70       
An excellent point, perhaps validating the cause for encouraging non-BB Coding in posts; perhaps something will come of this thread after all. If members here wish to have HTML like AOE3h for showcases they really need to stop.

@ Dude: So you took all that time to tell me that? That really proves my point about content in BB coded posts.

the fate of Rome lies in your hands
S . P . Q . R
comming soon
Paperfriend
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 03:43 PM EDT (US)     40 / 70       
Some people here make me sick with there ego's

EDIT: OMG I have my sig on. Thats just dumb I you make a post about ego-hate.

Yes, periods and smileys are the same for me
No matter what you say

[This message has been edited by Paperfriend (edited 01-25-2006 @ 04:28 PM).]

papaya
ಠ_ಠ
(id: X_MOSS)
posted 25 January 2006 05:02 PM EDT (US)     41 / 70       
I'm changing my sig everyday now.

oh you can wait for what I can give
you know what I am so you know how I live
try to look proud but you’re not in the slightest
its happening now and it’s always been like this.
Prometheus4
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 05:54 PM EDT (US)     42 / 70       

Quote:

Need Jesus?
No, but thanks.

Are you saying that you don't need Jesus?! The world is going to end by the year 2018, and you're not ready for it.

(sig change)

[This message has been edited by Prometheus4 (edited 01-25-2006 @ 06:06 PM).]

Hikari
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 06:52 PM EDT (US)     43 / 70       
As I said before, someone does not respect us, we do not respect them. Respect is mutual.

Prometheus4
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 07:11 PM EDT (US)     44 / 70       
I by no means meant to imply a transgression of respect, but I simply posted a reminder in an exclamatory sense about the consequences of not heeding signs about the apocalypse.
Hikari
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 07:13 PM EDT (US)     45 / 70       
I posted under you doesn't mean it was directed at you. =_="

Prometheus4
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 07:30 PM EDT (US)     46 / 70       
Thank you for clarifying, but is this thread necessary anymore? We have already strayed off topic, and particular people are being criticized for something they have the right to do (using BB Code). What do you think?

[This message has been edited by Prometheus4 (edited 01-25-2006 @ 07:40 PM).]

King Jared
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 07:36 PM EDT (US)     47 / 70       
First of all, enabling or disabling the BB code in forums is out of my or any standard moderators' hands. I don't even know if global mods have that ability; it may well be restricted to the highest ranking mods, like Zen or Spiney.

Secondly, even if I had such a power, I'd refuse to ruin the BB code privelage for everyone just because a few errant knaves decide to abuse it. It can be a very handy tool for emphasizing and articulating text and I'd be loath to remove it because of some minor irritants.

Thirdly, just as I can't and won't turn off BB code, nor can I justifiably punish those who do overuse the BB code function; there's nothing in the rules that says one can't post in colours/italics all the time. I may not like it, and I may even encourage such forumers to stop, but I can't rightfully enforce such misgivings by, say, officially warning/banning that forumer, except perhaps under extreme circumstances.

Fourthly, I feel I should clarify that, though HG does function under U.S. law and follows Western ideals of freedom of speech and the like, the forums are not a democracy. Decisions are ultimately the responsibility of HG staff; forumers generally have no say in procedural matters. At times, staff members may ask for public opinion on things, but the ultimate decision will be made by them and their colleagues, not by a vote or poll of any sort. Essentially what I'm saying is if we, the staff, wanted to put restrictions on the use of colour/italics in posts, we could, whether the forumers willed it or not. Naturally, in reality, such a request would have to go through the heirarchy and be processed and discussed amongst the staff as a whole, but the point is that it's a closed system; staff aren't voted in, and every man does not have his say.

Be all that as it may, as it stands, no, colour and italics aren't forbidden, and aren't likely to be forbidden any time soon. However, if the trend escalates, who can say? All I'll suggest to the proponents of such flashy posting is this: be considerate of your fellow forumers.

That is all.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com
Prometheus4
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 07:40 PM EDT (US)     48 / 70       
With all due respect, I was talking about the thread, not BB Code.
King Jared
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 07:50 PM EDT (US)     49 / 70       
My reply was directed to the community at large, not you.

Your Divine Overlord
KING JARED
Aw, hell, I dunno, she had some tig-ole-bitties, d'int she?
big.vitt@gmail.com
Prometheus4
Mortal
posted 25 January 2006 07:56 PM EDT (US)     50 / 70       
Oh, Sorry. (Note to self: an entry under your reply does not mean it is a reply to your entry.)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames