You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.706 replies, Sticky
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Have a Question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 23 24 25 26 27 ··· 29  Next Page »
Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 28 September 2015 03:38 PM EDT (US)         

Got a question? Need an answer?
Here is a list of common questions concerning AoM.

FAQ

Upon playtesting a scenario in the editor, I lose within the first five seconds!
Easy to fix. Simply click on the "Scenario" tab in the editor, click on "Scenario Data" and uncheck the check box next to "Use victory conditions". Alternatively, you can place a unit of yours somewhere on the map, then place an enemy unit somewhere else on the map as well.

How come it seems like some units are missing in the list of protounits on a trigger?
To find out the proto name of a unit, have it selected in the editor and click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." For a shortcut, just select the unit and press Alt+A.

How do I make units larger or smaller?
This is for The Titans users only. To enlarge a unit, select it and hold "K" on your keyboard. To make the unit smaller, hold "Shift + K".

How can I change the stats (attack/health/etc.) for a unit?
Easy. If you're a Titans user you can find the two triggers called "Modify Protounit" and "Set Tech Status". If you're running regular AoM, you will only have "Set Tech Status" available. You can set unit attributes with both these triggers.

How can I make units regenerate health?
First create a new trigger. Check the Active and Loop boxes. Pull the Priority cursor all the way to the right. Create a new condition Is Alive, select and set your desired unit. Add a condition Timer with a value of 1. Finally, add a Damage Unit effect, select your desired unit again and set the value to -1.

How can I have over 300 population?
Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999.0 . Make sure that it is a protounit that you can't normally get in-game by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.

My triggers have stopped working!
Using Run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit affect this. If you are unsure about what the source is, outline what you did, and we can help.

The computer players aren't acting like computer players should!
You need to set AI for them. In the editor, click the "Scenario" tab, then "Player Data". There will be a button all the way to the right of the player slot to set the AI. It is reccomended you choose one of the "default" ais such as aomdefaultai.xs for AoM Vanilla, or aomxdefaultai.xs for The Titans.

I've seen people do these crazy camera angles that I can't seem to figure out how to do! Help!
A common question. Your camera must be unlocked and working first. It should be already by default. If it's not, press "Shift + Alt + C" to unlock it. To change the pitch of the camera, press "A" and "Z" or "Ctrl + Up Arrow" and "Ctrl + Down Arrow" on your keyboard to go up and down.

How do I add sound and dialogs in a scenario?
Like the dialogs in the campaigns, you can use the trigger effect "Play Dialog" to display text while on Cinematic Mode. You can type a text, include a sound, and a small image (portrait) "Sound filename" is a similar trigger effect, but not the main one used.

How can I give units animations like they do in the campaigns?
Select the unit in the editor, click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." In the "Type" tab, find and click "Cinematic". In the "Anim Path:" tab is a list of animations that you can view for sampling. When you find the one you want, you can use its name with the "Set animation" trigger effect and be able to use it in-game.

Practical Guides
Scenario Design Library Articles
Scenario Design Dictionary
Shuch_ya_mouf's Ultimate Trigger Guide
Paperfriend's List of Guides
Making Quality Scenarios: Triggers
Making Quality Scenarios: Eyecandy
Nottud's Guide to the transform trigger
Campaign Dialogue List

Thread credits: Paperfriend + Yeebaago0on (FAQ), Eurotool (design), CeaseDaFire (maintenance), Reach (OP) 

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature

[This message has been edited by Out Reach (edited 01-22-2019 @ 10:12 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 20 April 2018 09:50 PM EDT (US)     601 / 706       
If they are not overlapping in the same position I do not think there will be any problem.

Remember the player will need LOS of the area.

[This message has been edited by scragins (edited 04-20-2018 @ 09:51 PM).]

King_Hollywood
Mortal
posted 20 April 2018 11:34 PM EDT (US)     602 / 706       
excellent
ya different areas

[This message has been edited by King_Hollywood (edited 04-20-2018 @ 11:35 PM).]

Lewonas
Mortal
posted 21 April 2018 08:10 AM EDT (US)     603 / 706       
I'm pretty sure you can use the Disable GP Blocking effect to stop god powers fom blocking each other.

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
King_Hollywood
Mortal
posted 21 April 2018 05:24 PM EDT (US)     604 / 706       
great idea
King_Hollywood
Mortal
posted 29 April 2018 10:59 PM EDT (US)     605 / 706       
What is the deal with Isis blocking god powers.
What exactly blocks the god powers from being invoked?
Is it the statues of Isis?
Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 30 April 2018 10:49 AM EDT (US)     606 / 706       
Yeah, it's around her monuments. If you destroy those the godpower can be invoked again there.

Just like with Hesperides Trees, just with more range.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 04-30-2018 @ 10:49 AM).]

Dr Doom
Mortal
posted 30 April 2018 01:51 PM EDT (US)     607 / 706       
I take any normal screenshot in AoM: TT and then I can't find any of them in
C:/Documents/My Games/Microsoft Games/Age of Mythology/Screenshots
or...
C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Age of Mythology/Screenshots.
Where else would they go?
King_Hollywood
Mortal
posted 01 May 2018 01:42 AM EDT (US)     608 / 706       
what if the statues are gaia will the god powers still be blocked?
Izalith
Mortal
posted 01 May 2018 02:17 AM EDT (US)     609 / 706       
If the gaia civilization is Isis yes.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

King_Hollywood
Mortal
posted 01 May 2018 09:41 AM EDT (US)     610 / 706       
sorry just to clear up is it the major god statues or monuments?
Izalith
Mortal
posted 01 May 2018 10:17 AM EDT (US)     611 / 706       
Monuments.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 01 May 2018 10:57 AM EDT (US)     612 / 706       
@Dr Doom

Check your thread in Strat and Gen.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
Hammerhands
Mortal
posted 09 May 2018 07:56 AM EDT (US)     613 / 706       
Anraheir
Mortal
posted 31 May 2018 01:38 PM EDT (US)     614 / 706       
Is it legal to make drawings of AOM characters/units and post them online for sale? I'm trying to find creative ways to pay for school loans .

I know that video game art is usually under copyright protection, but I'm not sure how an artist can go about asking for permission (or how to share profit with the respective copyright owners - which I'm willing).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 01 June 2018 05:54 AM EDT (US)     615 / 706       
I'm not sure about AoM units but I don't think anyone has copyright over ancient myths.
Callistonian
Mortal
posted 01 June 2018 09:10 PM EDT (US)     616 / 706       
The IP for AoM's art is still held by Microsoft Studios. Selling derivative works of copyright protected content is going to be illegal in most places. While I doubt MS would take notice and press charges (people have attempted to sell mods in the past), I also doubt they would respond positively to the request.

Like scragins said, mythology falls under fair use (the ancient Greek poets aren't going to sue you) so why not just make mythology-themed art?
Anraheir
Mortal
posted 01 June 2018 10:28 PM EDT (US)     617 / 706       
Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it in mind if I decide to go through with the art.
Izalith
Mortal
posted 20 June 2018 05:19 PM EDT (US)     618 / 706       
Access the Vartype Group for easier Army Dispatchment?

Hello Mortals,

I tried to hardcorde army names into conditions/effects, however that didn't work. The trArmyDispatch-Function supposedly takes a String to identify the army/group, but creating a Ghost Army and using the same string didn't work out.

This is what I tried:
   <Effect name="aaaaaaa Army Deployment Strings">   
<Command>trArmyDispatch("test", "Satyr", 1, 0,0,0, 0, false);</Command>
</Effect>

Is there another way to hardcode player armies into Conditions/Effects?

Otherwise I'm using multiple armies as parameters, but I'm not sure if I'm able to loop through that. Thus I am copypasting everything in a very redundant manner.

Is there a way to loop through strings which take parameters from the effect?
"%SrcArmy3%"

I tried doing it like that:
"%SrcArmy" + 1*trQuestVarGet("num") + "%"

So here's the testing effect:

<Effect name="aaaaaaa Army Deployment Strings">
<Param name="SrcArmy1" dispName="armyP1" VarType="group">default</Param>
<Param name="SrcArmy2" dispName="armyP2" VarType="group">default</Param>
<Command>trQuestVarSet("num",1);</Command>
<Command><![CDATA[trArmyDispatch("%SrcArmy" + 1*trQuestVarGet("num") + "%", "Satyr", 1, 0,0,0, 0, false);]]></Command>
</Effect>

It didn't work with nor without the CDATA-brackets.

Is there another way to like save the group variable type into a variable, overwrite it with the right one and dispatch armies like that?

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Izalith
Mortal
posted 20 June 2018 08:42 PM EDT (US)     619 / 706       
Loggy told me about "trigtemp.xs" which shows the last loaded scenarios triggers translated into XS code.

So for some P1 army the army name strigger is "1,13". I think I can look up the armies strings in there, but I'm not sure if they remain consistent. Like if this army will always be "1,13". But I kinda think so, I'll have to test it a bit I guess.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Lewonas
Mortal
posted 24 June 2018 04:31 AM EDT (US)     620 / 706       
Yes, the army name stays the same. Fyi, the army name is equal to PlayerID, ArmyID. The groups 1-9 you can control with the 1-9 hotkeys are actually armies, and their names are equal to PlayerID, Hotkey. So if you would like to trigger some effects for these armies, you can do so by specifying this army name (e.g. the name 1,1 would access the group 1 army of player 1).

As for your effect, it doesn't work because when the game engine tries to translate your effect to XS code, it (among other things) looks for unescaped % symbols which denote a parameter is specified. Parameters need to be enclosed by two % symbols in a single unbroken string. So in your effect, the analyzer finds a % symbol, and will try to find a second % symbol in the same string to get the parameter name. And after this, it will convert the parameter name to the associated parameter's value. So in the current form your trigger will break because a second % symbol cannot be found in the same string for "%SrcArmy".

The only way to deploy multiple armies with one effect without saving the army names in variables is to specify multiple group parameters and trArmyDispatch commands. And if you save the army names in e.g. string quest vars, you could create an army deploy effect with a simple loop to deploy these armies. For instance, if you save the army names as "Player<PlayerID>SatyrArmy" string quest vars, you could deploy them like this:

<Command>for(cPlayer=12;>0) {</Command>
<Command>trArmyDispatch(trStringQuestVarGet("Player" + cPlayer + "SatyrArmy"), "Satyr", 1, 0,0,0, 0, false);</Command>
<Command>}</Command>

If you want to make the effect more reusable for different army names, consider adding parameters to specify the base string quest var name and the other values:

<Command>for(cPlayer=12;>0) {</Command>
<Command>trArmyDispatch(trStringQuestVarGet("%ArmyNamePrefix%" + cPlayer + "%ArmyNameSuffix%"), "%ProtoName%", %Count%, %Location%, %Heading%, %Clear%);</Command>
<Command>}</Command>

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]

[This message has been edited by Lewonas (edited 06-24-2018 @ 04:39 AM).]

Hammerhands
Mortal
posted 25 June 2018 09:35 PM EDT (US)     621 / 706       
Hey all, busy life. Been gone. Good to pop in and say

HI
Yannik
Mortal
posted 26 June 2018 02:46 PM EDT (US)     622 / 706       
Hey, I'm new here and my question is: When i do dialogs in cinematics my dialogs vannish, after 1 second they appear. What i have to do, that the dialog texts get longer? Hope u know what i mean, my english isnt the best.
Have a nice day, Yannik.
King_Hollywood
Mortal
posted 03 July 2018 10:08 PM EDT (US)     623 / 706       
you must play dialogue while a camera track is playing.Then set a trigger for 'fire event' another trigger with play dialogue again to change the text.I suggest 8 seconds is enough time for most people to read the text.
Izalith
Mortal
posted 08 July 2018 11:16 PM EDT (US)     624 / 706       
I feel like I've asked this before because over the years I started many attempts to make this map.. but:

- Is there a way to remove Automaton Corpses?

I know Automaton SPC doesn't produce corpses, but I get the normal Automaton unit produced from temples by the players. And changing/transforming those into Automaton SPCs makes them forget their rally point which is very relevant for this type of map. Thus a way to get rid of Automaton Corpses lying around all over the place would be good :/

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

nottud
Mortal
posted 09 July 2018 07:36 AM EDT (US)     625 / 706       
Yannik: Show them using sound play paused or sound filename instead and don't use a sound. If you want to play a sound use a separate effect.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 23 24 25 26 27 ··· 29  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames