You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.678 replies, Sticky
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Have a Question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 20 ··· 27  Next Page »
Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 28 September 2015 03:38 PM EDT (US)         

Got a question? Need an answer?
Here is a list of common questions concerning AoM.

FAQ

Upon playtesting a scenario in the editor, I lose within the first five seconds!
Easy to fix. Simply click on the "Scenario" tab in the editor, click on "Scenario Data" and uncheck the check box next to "Use victory conditions". Alternatively, you can place a unit of yours somewhere on the map, then place an enemy unit somewhere else on the map as well.

How come it seems like some units are missing in the list of protounits on a trigger?
To find out the proto name of a unit, have it selected in the editor and click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." For a shortcut, just select the unit and press Alt+A.

How do I make units larger or smaller?
This is for The Titans users only. To enlarge a unit, select it and hold "K" on your keyboard. To make the unit smaller, hold "Shift + K".

How can I change the stats (attack/health/etc.) for a unit?
Easy. If you're a Titans user you can find the two triggers called "Modify Protounit" and "Set Tech Status". If you're running regular AoM, you will only have "Set Tech Status" available. You can set unit attributes with both these triggers.

How can I make units regenerate health?
First create a new trigger. Check the Active and Loop boxes. Pull the Priority cursor all the way to the right. Create a new condition Is Alive, select and set your desired unit. Add a condition Timer with a value of 1. Finally, add a Damage Unit effect, select your desired unit again and set the value to -1.

How can I have over 300 population?
Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999.0 . Make sure that it is a protounit that you can't normally get in-game by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.

My triggers have stopped working!
Using Run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit affect this. If you are unsure about what the source is, outline what you did, and we can help.

The computer players aren't acting like computer players should!
You need to set AI for them. In the editor, click the "Scenario" tab, then "Player Data". There will be a button all the way to the right of the player slot to set the AI. It is reccomended you choose one of the "default" ais such as aomdefaultai.xs for AoM Vanilla, or aomxdefaultai.xs for The Titans.

I've seen people do these crazy camera angles that I can't seem to figure out how to do! Help!
A common question. Your camera must be unlocked and working first. It should be already by default. If it's not, press "Shift + Alt + C" to unlock it. To change the pitch of the camera, press "A" and "Z" or "Ctrl + Up Arrow" and "Ctrl + Down Arrow" on your keyboard to go up and down.

How do I add sound and dialogs in a scenario?
Like the dialogs in the campaigns, you can use the trigger effect "Play Dialog" to display text while on Cinematic Mode. You can type a text, include a sound, and a small image (portrait) "Sound filename" is a similar trigger effect, but not the main one used.

How can I give units animations like they do in the campaigns?
Select the unit in the editor, click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." In the "Type" tab, find and click "Cinematic". In the "Anim Path:" tab is a list of animations that you can view for sampling. When you find the one you want, you can use its name with the "Set animation" trigger effect and be able to use it in-game.

Practical Guides
Scenario Design Library Articles
Scenario Design Dictionary
Shuch_ya_mouf's Ultimate Trigger Guide
Paperfriend's List of Guides
Making Quality Scenarios: Triggers
Making Quality Scenarios: Eyecandy
Nottud's Guide to the transform trigger
Campaign Dialogue List

Thread credits: Paperfriend + Yeebaago0on (FAQ), Eurotool (design), CeaseDaFire (maintenance), Reach (OP) 

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature

[This message has been edited by Out Reach (edited 01-22-2019 @ 10:12 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Eurotool
Hero
posted 06 January 2016 03:17 PM EDT (US)     101 / 678       
Indeed, your computer will have a hard time rendering a big area of the map if your processor is not fast enough. Devs most likely didn't think about this issue since the game is pretty much all about looking down the ground.

Kurinoku
Mortal
posted 06 January 2016 09:37 PM EDT (US)     102 / 678       
So, i'm learning from this but when i bound the ai script to player one and make it cpu, when i "play test" it, it doesnt do anything it returns the control to me, and the console doesnt show the "echos".
By the way, it's the steam version if it has to do with it
how can i fix it?

(sorry 4 bad english)
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 07 January 2016 09:12 PM EDT (US)     103 / 678       
600 x 600 is massive, I would expect most computers to get slow if you look at the whole map.
nottud
Mortal
posted 08 January 2016 07:28 AM EDT (US)     104 / 678       
In standard AOMX if you view more than about 160 by 160 worth of terrain you will be hit by lag. 160 by 160 seems to be the critical value where this happens. Any maps less than this size you can zoom out as much as you like.
Electroflux
Mortal
posted 08 January 2016 08:16 AM EDT (US)     105 / 678       
With the Render Sky trigger, did the extended edition add anymore skies?

EDIT: I should also ask, wasn't there a trigger/effect that you could freeze units? I want a player not to be able to control a unit for a certain duration.

[This message has been edited by Electroflux (edited 01-08-2016 @ 10:14 AM).]

scragins
Heretic of December
posted 08 January 2016 08:13 PM EDT (US)     106 / 678       
I think Zenophobia worked out how to do it using the showcase effect somehow but aside from that i have no idea how to do it.
Eurotool
Hero
posted 08 January 2016 10:31 PM EDT (US)     107 / 678       
EDIT: I should also ask, wasn't there a trigger/effect that you could freeze units? I want a player not to be able to control a unit for a certain duration.
Never heard of such, but I guess there are many alternatives, like using the Deselect effect along the Unit Selected condition.

Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 08 January 2016 11:28 PM EDT (US)     108 / 678       
Loop a trigger that converts the unit to gaia and converts it back to its original player. Make sure the trigger is high priority.

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 08 January 2016 11:34 PM EDT (US)     109 / 678       
Have it work on itself, have it move to itself, or change unit type to itself

I know all of these can stop a unit in its tracks, but I guess you could try looping it to make it freeze.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
Serantir
Mortal
posted 11 January 2016 02:35 AM EDT (US)     110 / 678       
I'm brand new to using the editor so I'm sorry if these are silly questions!

I'm trying to make a co-op version of a campaign mission (specifically AoMT mission 8: Cerberus). For those unfamiliar with the mission, the player needs to protect a Son of Osiris while he revives a Guardian to defeat the titan rampaging through the city on the other side of the map. In the mission you have one CPU ally with whom you trade to get gold. I'm trying to edit the mission so that one player can control the main player and another can control the ally, and thus play the mission cooperatively.

I tried to do this by opening the scenario file in the editor and playing around with the player and scenario settings. However, I haven't been able to translate it into an online scenario lobby format.

First off: is something like this possible? How do I handle the non player factions? Does the scenario lobby need to have 10 players (8 cpus and 2 players?), and how do I make those cpus act like the AI in the campaign (and can I give them the original faction names rather than the generic ones like "Thebes" and "Bubastis" etc.) Also, when I tried to play the scenario with a friend of mine, we desynced immediately. Is what I'm trying to do possible? If so, what should I do to make it work?

Thanks for hearing me out!
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 11 January 2016 10:45 AM EDT (US)     111 / 678       
Welcome to a project I have been at for about 2 years. The fact is, it is possible. The other fact is, you need to be prepared for a harassment of out of sync. Working with these types of things all the time and consistently, I have been able to understand why a lot of them happen, and have fixed a number of them, and even have some scenarios from the campaign that are playable and error free. However, in some scenarios, there is always that one out of sync error that escapes you, and then you're back to square one fighting to find what the problem is. Of course before all this you need to determine what player gets what, how many resources the enemy has, upgrades, settlement positions, replacing bad triggers, removing units, modifying the ai so they work, etc. The list goes on. It's not that it's not possible. It's not that it's hard. It's just extremely time-consuming. I'll be honest, this is not something a layman scenario designer is going to have success with. Period. In order for anyone to know what they're doing, and understand how these things really work, it has to be something they consistently are exposed to.

Anyway, like I said, it's been an on and off project for me to complete the entire fall of the trident campaign. I've been working on the project and dealing with the errors for about 2 years. I do have some working, but all at a price.

Perhaps when I resume the project again I will consider doing this specific scenario first, and see how far I can get with it. I do always have playtesters available, which is good, because it helps deal with the numerous oos.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.

[This message has been edited by CeaseDaFire (edited 01-15-2016 @ 02:55 PM).]

Electroflux
Mortal
posted 12 January 2016 05:27 AM EDT (US)     112 / 678       
What is the key command to rotate objects horizontal?
Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 12 January 2016 08:50 AM EDT (US)     113 / 678       
If you mean tilting the object, then you need nottud's editor for that. I don't remember the exact download link. Just search for it in the downloads section of AoMH

Electroflux
Mortal
posted 12 January 2016 11:05 AM EDT (US)     114 / 678       
I do have nottuds editor, is it a button somewhere that I'm not seeing?

Also another random question. How do you make it so the computer doesn't "play" when in multiplayer?

I'm trying to create a multiplayer campaign, however, the AI keeps moving people around and so forth. I just need them to NOT do anything.
Eurotool
Hero
posted 12 January 2016 11:14 AM EDT (US)     115 / 678       
I do have nottuds editor, is it a button somewhere that I'm not seeing?
Select the unit, press the Move Object button and use the S, D, Ctrl-Up/Down/Left/Right keys to spin around the axis.
Also another random question. How do you make it so the computer doesn't "play" when in multiplayer?
From what I've read, you can use "Set Player Defeated" on the computer and it'll stop prevent it from executing the AI.

Electroflux
Mortal
posted 12 January 2016 11:18 AM EDT (US)     116 / 678       
From what I've read, you can use "Set Player Defeated" on the computer and it'll stop prevent it from executing the AI.
That's exactly what I thought too, but after doing so, it disabled all my other triggers, like moving units to areas and so forth. I solved this a while back in the past but I can't remember what I did.

[This message has been edited by Electroflux (edited 01-12-2016 @ 11:18 AM).]

TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 12 January 2016 02:01 PM EDT (US)     117 / 678       
@Zeno and Electro
You don't need nottud's editor for that. In the startup folder of the main game folder there's the gamex file with this:

map("+control-arrowleft", "moveunit", "uiYawUnitLeft")
map("+control-arrowright", "moveunit", "uiYawUnitRight")
map("+alt-control-arrowleft", "moveunit", "uiYawUnitLeft")
map("+alt-control-arrowright", "moveunit", "uiYawUnitRight")
//map("+control-arrowup", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitDown")
//map("+control-arrowdown", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitUp")
//map("+alt-control-arrowup", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitDown")
//map("+alt-control-arrowdown", "moveunit", "uiPitchUnitUp")
//map("+s", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitLeft")
//map("+d", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitRight")
//map("+alt-s", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitLeft")
//map("+alt-d", "moveunit", "uiRollUnitRight")

The one's with the //'s need to be pasted in a user.con notepad file in the startup folder and the //'s need to be removed. That's it.

Don't think all those lines are necessary. I just pasted the chunk that I saw.

Check out my YouTube
Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 12 January 2016 04:25 PM EDT (US)     118 / 678       
know of a way to get invent00r's unit modder (unit stretcher) to work for EE scenarios?

nottud
Mortal
posted 12 January 2016 05:03 PM EDT (US)     119 / 678       
I wondered recently about coding a few tools for things like that myself. I should maybe look into it more... Would be nice if could add some visual feedback maybe with a 3d cube if nothig else.
Main difficulty is extracting out the data properly to work with to begin with but if I can get past that problem I reckon some interesting things could be done. I wondered also about an advanced elevation editor to allow ignoring hight limits.
Electroflux
Mortal
posted 13 January 2016 04:46 AM EDT (US)     120 / 678       
I read online, from an older post, on how to disable the AI of computers in multiplayer but still have the triggers work for that player and came up with this...does this still work?

If you set the AI of each computer player to this file "aomdefaultaieconomy.xs", it's supposed to stop the AI from acting because it creates an error on scenario start.

I haven't tested it, but if true, that is nice that it functionally works, however, all of my other scenarios will keep having this error pop up on start?

Is there any other workaround someone has came up with since EE came out or before? A lot of time has passed and I'm sure this is a big issue.
nottud
Mortal
posted 13 January 2016 07:29 AM EDT (US)     121 / 678       
I wrote a trigger of Disable/Enable AI player range or some trigger name like that. While the AI is disabled move triggers and other interactions don't work but unlike set player defeated you can turn it off if later you need to move some units.

Only trouble is in the short time you have it enabled the AI may move units.

---

I did for a while attempt to look into a way using the transform trigger to disable movement on specific units but I unfortunately never quite got it to work.

---

Another approach if feasible it to have the units as cinematic blocks and then when you come near you change them to the actual units meaning the AI lacks time to move them.

---

The trick about setting the AI to an invalid one sadly actually doesn't work and I admit sadly I did write a thread about it a while ago but I later discovered it didn't work but the thread was old by then so I never changed it.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 01-13-2016 @ 07:30 AM).]

Electroflux
Mortal
posted 13 January 2016 08:37 AM EDT (US)     122 / 678       
Good lord.

Maybe it is true that you can find some workarounds like cinematic blocks, however, that increases the time it takes (and effort) tenfold to create your scenario.

They seriously couldn't have added something like this in EE? It's almost like we need to start another petition just to add that feature.

I've lost a lot of ambition in my multiplayer campaign because of this. Bought two copies of the game for nothing, now lol. I swear I found a decent solution way back in the day, because I used to create multiplayer scenarios that did work without them moving units, however, I think I may have use "set player defeated" and just doubled the player count, so whenever I needed a unit to move, I would just convert them to the AI that is active, then convert back to the frozen AI. It's kind of annoying doing it that way, especially if you need a scenario with that many players/factions, but maybe it will work...
Eurotool
Hero
posted 13 January 2016 01:31 PM EDT (US)     123 / 678       
Is using Gaia instead of a CPU possible in your case?

Electroflux
Mortal
posted 13 January 2016 02:04 PM EDT (US)     124 / 678       
If I changed it to Gaia, wouldn't they be converted directly to whatever player is nearby?

Either way, unless you can set the color of gaia, it would be awkward to see color patterns change constantly.

I might be thinking of Age of Empires.

[This message has been edited by Electroflux (edited 01-13-2016 @ 02:04 PM).]

Eurotool
Hero
posted 13 January 2016 03:26 PM EDT (US)     125 / 678       
Yes, you're thinking of AoE

If you're worried about the colors, there's a way to change Mother Nature color. You could also set the other player to brown.

Why not make all the computer players play as Gaia? I don't understand why you want to convert things back and forth, it will be a huge mess.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 20 ··· 27  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames