You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.678 replies, Sticky
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Have a Question? Post it here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Have a Question? Post it here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 16 17 18 19 20 ··· 27  Next Page »
Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 28 September 2015 03:38 PM EDT (US)         

Got a question? Need an answer?
Here is a list of common questions concerning AoM.

FAQ

Upon playtesting a scenario in the editor, I lose within the first five seconds!
Easy to fix. Simply click on the "Scenario" tab in the editor, click on "Scenario Data" and uncheck the check box next to "Use victory conditions". Alternatively, you can place a unit of yours somewhere on the map, then place an enemy unit somewhere else on the map as well.

How come it seems like some units are missing in the list of protounits on a trigger?
To find out the proto name of a unit, have it selected in the editor and click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." For a shortcut, just select the unit and press Alt+A.

How do I make units larger or smaller?
This is for The Titans users only. To enlarge a unit, select it and hold "K" on your keyboard. To make the unit smaller, hold "Shift + K".

How can I change the stats (attack/health/etc.) for a unit?
Easy. If you're a Titans user you can find the two triggers called "Modify Protounit" and "Set Tech Status". If you're running regular AoM, you will only have "Set Tech Status" available. You can set unit attributes with both these triggers.

How can I make units regenerate health?
First create a new trigger. Check the Active and Loop boxes. Pull the Priority cursor all the way to the right. Create a new condition Is Alive, select and set your desired unit. Add a condition Timer with a value of 1. Finally, add a Damage Unit effect, select your desired unit again and set the value to -1.

How can I have over 300 population?
Use the Modify Protounit effect to make a protounit have a population cost of a very extremely high number, like 999999999.0 . Make sure that it is a protounit that you can't normally get in-game by yourself. Then just place two of them somewhere on the map, and they will make the population for that player go to a negative number, and be infinite.

My triggers have stopped working!
Using Run immediately, quotations in chats, linking camera tracks, sound timers and decimals in conditions like timer and distance to unit affect this. If you are unsure about what the source is, outline what you did, and we can help.

The computer players aren't acting like computer players should!
You need to set AI for them. In the editor, click the "Scenario" tab, then "Player Data". There will be a button all the way to the right of the player slot to set the AI. It is reccomended you choose one of the "default" ais such as aomdefaultai.xs for AoM Vanilla, or aomxdefaultai.xs for The Titans.

I've seen people do these crazy camera angles that I can't seem to figure out how to do! Help!
A common question. Your camera must be unlocked and working first. It should be already by default. If it's not, press "Shift + Alt + C" to unlock it. To change the pitch of the camera, press "A" and "Z" or "Ctrl + Up Arrow" and "Ctrl + Down Arrow" on your keyboard to go up and down.

How do I add sound and dialogs in a scenario?
Like the dialogs in the campaigns, you can use the trigger effect "Play Dialog" to display text while on Cinematic Mode. You can type a text, include a sound, and a small image (portrait) "Sound filename" is a similar trigger effect, but not the main one used.

How can I give units animations like they do in the campaigns?
Select the unit in the editor, click on the "Cinematics" tab, then click "View animations." In the "Type" tab, find and click "Cinematic". In the "Anim Path:" tab is a list of animations that you can view for sampling. When you find the one you want, you can use its name with the "Set animation" trigger effect and be able to use it in-game.

Practical Guides
Scenario Design Library Articles
Scenario Design Dictionary
Shuch_ya_mouf's Ultimate Trigger Guide
Paperfriend's List of Guides
Making Quality Scenarios: Triggers
Making Quality Scenarios: Eyecandy
Nottud's Guide to the transform trigger
Campaign Dialogue List

Thread credits: Paperfriend + Yeebaago0on (FAQ), Eurotool (design), CeaseDaFire (maintenance), Reach (OP) 

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature

[This message has been edited by Out Reach (edited 01-22-2019 @ 10:12 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
(id: eine_gurkensalad)
posted 20 June 2017 05:36 PM EDT (US)     426 / 678       
I think I will choose the easiness...
HTML Tables look quite complex, and my table is very big.
Because of my bad level of english, I will be happy if someone tell me about a reliable and simple online microsoft tables converter to HTML
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 21 June 2017 04:47 AM EDT (US)     427 / 678       
You could just take a screenshot of the table and post that.
eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
posted 21 June 2017 04:53 AM EDT (US)     428 / 678       
Yes it might be the most simple
eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
posted 21 June 2017 07:15 AM EDT (US)     429 / 678       
Is it possible to use the "XS User Code" effect to modify fields that aren't supported in "Modify Protounit" ?
eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
posted 07 July 2017 06:01 AM EDT (US)     430 / 678       
Is it possible to enable greek heroes for non greek civilisations ?
Because there is a very strange thing in the fact that poseidon for exemple can get heroes from hades but chinese or egyptians cannot.
In the same field, is it possible to enable outposts (obelisks) for non egyptian civs ? I tried a lot of things.

When I have a look at techtree file, I can see for exemple prereqs → civname → Zeus for hero greek zeus age 2. But no mention of "greek" thing. And for now I don't know any prereq that forbid to set active a tech (we can set active olympic parentage with shennong), just prereqs that forbid to set obtainable or available techs (impossible to have with Shennong in your temple olympic parentage to research).

So I don't know why this tech can't be used.
TheEpic
Mortal
posted 07 July 2017 04:23 PM EDT (US)     431 / 678       
Can someone please tell me what name is Setna's portrait? (Trying to use it in 'Play Dialog' Trigger)
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 26 July 2017 10:17 PM EDT (US)     432 / 678       
I don't have access to AoM but you should be able to look it up in the textures folder of the main game folder.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 27 July 2017 03:22 PM EDT (US)     433 / 678       
I kinda have several questions on trigger effects for aom:tt. But sorry in advance if they're all kinda nooby questions to answer. :-S Just started aom again after a long time, but got kinda too used to editors from other RTS games.

1). Is there a way I can set a class name (not unit name) for a particular type of unit? I'm aware there is a "change name" effect, but all it does is change the names of whatever units I've selected.

For instance, if I change the hypaspist's name into "khopesh swordsman", it only changes the name of the hypaspist I selected. But if I go to the barracks and train this unit, the unit name stays as "hypaspist" and NOT "khopesh swordsman". Is there a way I could make the changed unit name appear when I train in the barracks, using the editor, and not just the ones I've selected on the map?

2). I've seen how the game's scenarios use those counter texts like "No. of prisoners rescued (scn 31-
aom)" or "temples replaced (Norse scn aom:tt)" and after experimenting a bit on the editor, I believe I got the general idea of how to do that.

But what I want to know is if there is a way I could use a player statistic as a counter text effect, like e.g. In a defend the fort scenario, the player is tasked to kill as many invaders as he can. In the counter at the top right of the screen, he will see "Units killed: 1,256" - basically how many enemies he has killed so far.

In EmpiresotMW, you can do that by setting a counter effect, setting a player attribute condition, and getting the code from the player attribute to type it on the counter effect text - e.g. Units killed: [/PA#0034]. I'm kinda wondering if you can do the same thing in the aom:tt editor (though in this case, I know it'll be totally different if it's possible).

EDIT: I think I found it. The Echo Stat Value effect, but it doesn't seem to be permanent though.

3). I actually really like the modify protounit effect, as units trained at the barracks will have the same value you changed in that effect. (It basically works like the class attribute effect in EE)

But what if you want to change only ONE of those units. E.g. Let's say I have a Valkyrie hero, and I've modified her attack stats so that she has an attack value of 0. But in the end, the modify protounit modifies every single Valkyrie, including those trained. But I only want the change on just 1 valkyrie on the map. Is there a way I could do that?

4). Is there a way to change unit descriptions? Like for instance, in-game, the hoplite description is "infantry. Good against cavalry" - is it possible to change that in the editor?

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 07-27-2017 @ 05:29 PM).]

eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
posted 28 July 2017 07:20 AM EDT (US)     434 / 678       
I'm not a famous expert but I think I have some answers.
1) by searching in the trigger request section of this forum you 'll find "modify protounit name" which works but only for existing unit (you need to make it on loop if you want to modify for unit that are created after)
However I will talk about v trigger which are Incredible group of trigger perfect to search unit or unit class that arrn't here at the beginning. You can modify names with this but you can also do heavier effects.
Find them in the download section (v target protounit query, by hailtotheoboe) and download the file.

The Echo Stat Value effect, but it doesn't seem to be permanent though.

You found the good way I don't see what is your problem but i may have an idea.
Try to use this trigger on loop :
Condition timer 1 sec
Effect "clear chat history" and "echo stat value"
The problem is that clear chat history clear also the message box (it means that you can't use anymore the send chat effect). However this clear chat history is an option, if you don't do this you will have a frightening message every second.
A third option is to use qv to launch the effect only if the value changes.
If you want to do this you'll first have to download the editor superpack from Nottud which centains plenty of very useful effects and conditions including new quest var effects. You can tell me then if you don't see what to do.

3) unfortunately this doesn't exist. However you can use work around. For exemple if you want to modify the hp you'll use damage unit to lower one unit's hp. You can also modify all hp of protounit and then lower all units except one to have only one unit with a lot of hp. But be careful on healing.
It is possible to use other unit that are similar and modify them (for exemple use another myth unit and modify stats).
Power such as bronze can increase armor of a group of unit but it changes also visual and it doesn't work on mu.
Last way i see is on ennemy units. You can have two ennemies that are a team against you with same color and same name. Then you modify some units of one player and you give to this player the spécial units.

4) if you are on steam you'll find the tooltip that modify all texts to be more accurate.
This are mods that modify the langage files of the game.
I don't know more on it.
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 28 July 2017 01:30 PM EDT (US)     435 / 678       
Quote: 1). You found the good way I don't see what is your problem but i may have an idea.
Try to use this trigger on loop :
Condition timer 1 sec
Effect "clear chat history" and "echo stat value"
The problem is that clear chat history clear also the message box (it means that you can't use anymore the send chat effect). However this clear chat history is an option, if you don't do this you will have a frightening message every second.
Bingo!! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Playing one of the campaigns in Empires again, this was what I had in mind: http://i.imgur.com/XNryGyYg.png - the kill counter on the right would stay there permanently, until the defenders are eliminated and the castle is destroyed - then you get to the main heroes of the scenario (the kill counter disappears here) and re-take the castle from the invaders.

Your suggestion did exactly what I hoped - worked like a charm, haha!! Thanks. :P
Quote: 2). by searching in the trigger request section of this forum you 'll find "modify protounit name" which works but only for existing unit.... (v target protounit query, by hailtotheoboe) and download the file.
Didn't do the first thing you suggested, but I did download the v target protounit query and checked it out. I'm honestly really impressed! You can do so many things with that. Not only could I actually use that as a substitute to the class-name effect, but it also saves a lot of time. Really nice!
Quote: 3). unfortunately this doesn't exist. However you can use work around.
Yeah, I believe you're right. Even without a "modify specific unit" effect, there are still many alternatives, so it's not much of a hassle, really. The bronze power you suggested is also a good option, or I could take a unit not trainable in the player civilization, like a Valkyrie for a Greek princess for example, or a gastraphetes for any civilization apart from a Hades player.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 07-28-2017 @ 02:32 PM).]

eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
posted 28 July 2017 02:35 PM EDT (US)     436 / 678       
I'm happy to have helped you with success.
I do an overuse of this v triggers on my new civilisation because it is very complete and adaptable.

Do you have also the editor superpack from nottud ? You will find really useful triggers
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 28 July 2017 03:22 PM EDT (US)     437 / 678       
Oh, yeah I actually did download his superpack quite a while ago, as well as a few other ones like the one that allowed units to tilt etc.

Nottud's superpack triggers (with the y and z stuff) seems to be a little confusing at first, but I do have his guide that explained every single addition in detail, soo I'll probably get the hang of it eventually.

I've seen a few other ones that seemed to be useful too - regarding trigger additions - from other members like pftq and the angry guy (forgot his name) but not really sure if they were all kinda compiled in that superpack, though.

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 07-28-2017 @ 03:44 PM).]

Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 29 July 2017 03:08 PM EDT (US)     438 / 678       
Alright, a double-post (sorry). After fiddling around with the editor, I have another question which I might need some guidance with. Not at all sure though, if this was discussed before in the forum, since I couldn't find a topic similar to this.

Question:
So just a few hours ago, I've drawn a rough sketch on what the island of Tyre actually looked like historically, and used the black terrain tool to outline its boundaries with the sea.

But then using the water tool, it completely erased the terrain I used to outline the city's boundary, so my question is, is there some other alternative, more reliable tool I can use to outline the island's boundary with the sea, without it getting erased by the water tool?

I thought of the terrain grid, but there were no markers or anything I could use to ensure I keep track of my initial sketch. Using the object placement, the water tool erased that as well. And I can't just keep using water tool and replace whatever black terrain is erased, because (1) there are narrow parts of the sketch and it'll be difficult to keep track on what is erased... Very difficult; and (2) you can't place water with a very small brush, which really is just ludicrous, imo.

I'm thinking of something that can be placed that does not get erased by the water tool, and so can be used as a landmark or a marker for map design. So far though, nothing seems to fit into such a simple criteria at all in the editor.

EDIT: My question might be a bit hard to understand, so I'll put up a screenshot of an unfinished custom map I've made in Zeus master of Olympus as an example.

http://i.imgur.com/DZaPFzL.png - in this screenshot, I've used lava and tidal wave markers (red and blue) as guides to indicate the shape and terrain structure I needed to put in at certain sections of the map - e.g. Placement of houses and the palace, shaping of cliff terrains (for an acropolis for example) and coastlines, beach placement, or even symmetry. And even plotting cliffs and water doesn't erase the markers at all. It stays there.

I was wondering if the aom editor had something like this, or maybe something that doesn't get deleted when placing water (in my case with the City of Tyre design for the aom editor) and thus, can act as a marker for shaping a coastline.

EDIT2:
Never mind. I found one unit that fits the criteria, where the water tool does not delete it when placed. This is the cinematic block.

But seriously.. next time I start a fresh new map, I'm gonna use a pure water map template, because for f*ck sake. :/

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 07-29-2017 @ 06:14 PM).]

Nick The Hun
Mortal
(id: Nick_The_Hunn)
posted 05 August 2017 04:16 AM EDT (US)     439 / 678       
A question here;
i've never been able to put off a certain age.
In this case, i'm working on a scenario where i would like to remove the Mythic Age (for all players).
Is there anyone with knowledge on this subject? Thanks in forward.
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 05 August 2017 05:52 AM EDT (US)     440 / 678       
@ Nick The Hun
I have never tried myself so this is only a suggestion. I think the set tech status effect might work for you.

I have used the set tech status trigger to make a player advance to a specific age at the beginning of a game so I think it should be able to do the same job but select forbidden to stop players from advancing. There are generic techs for age 2, 3 and 4 (classical, heroic and mythic) and also techs for the specific minor gods. I am not sure if you will be able to forbid simply age 3 and have it work for or minor gods or if you will need to do it for each minor god.
Nick The Hun
Mortal
posted 05 August 2017 06:22 AM EDT (US)     441 / 678       
I'm using "Unobtainable" right now, and that does not work. I've already come this far haha. Though i don't know of the option 'forbidden'?
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 05 August 2017 06:37 AM EDT (US)     442 / 678       
Unobtainable was what I meant, if that doesn't work then I'm not sure what will but it was done in some campaign scenarios.

Did you try both the generic age 2 and also the ones that specified minor gods?
Nick The Hun
Mortal
posted 05 August 2017 10:52 AM EDT (US)     443 / 678       
When you put Age 4 Fake and the minor gods all on unobtainable, the Mythic Age won't show up! Yeey
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 06 August 2017 03:25 PM EDT (US)     444 / 678       
Looks like I have another question..

In the start of the scenario when the main character lands on a harbor in a foreign land, I want to get an NPC villager do the "build" animation, as if he looks like he's repairing his fishing ship on the harbor.

Additionally, I also want to have another NPC villager right next to him doing the "cinematic" animation, as if it looks like he's watching his partner repair the ship.

And I want the player to see this during gameplay, and not during cinematic mode. I've tried doing "Set animation" and "Army set animation" and it just doesn't work. :-S Anyone willing to tell me what to do?

Please.. don't tell me I need to have "Cinematic mode ON" to do this, because if that's the case, that will really suck. :-S
eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
posted 07 August 2017 03:49 AM EDT (US)     445 / 678       
You can use a building like a house and reduce the size in order to render invisible the building. Then you place it near the boat and you launch the effect "damage unit" let's say 90% then "unit work" so the villager will repair the invisible house and it will look like you want I hope.

If you find smaller object buildable (if the Word exists), It is better to use because the obstruction radius isn't reduced.

When you don' t need to have this effect, you just delete the building or change in cinematic bloc
Nickonhawk
The Narrator
posted 07 August 2017 06:11 AM EDT (US)     446 / 678       
I suggest you damage it only 30% or less and if you need more time to build, damage it again. Otherwise you will see and hear the smoke and fire effect.

And no, you don't need to be in cinematic mode for cinematic animations.

Youtube Channel
Skyrim... the greatest game ever... without considering Age of Mythology, of course!
Ctrl...Alt...Q...
and Brisingr-know these three things and your task here is accomplished...

[This message has been edited by nHawk (edited 08-07-2017 @ 06:13 AM).]

Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 07 August 2017 09:08 AM EDT (US)     447 / 678       
Alright, I've managed to find a workaround very similar to eine's suggestion, by damaging the house to 30%, moving it to the harbour and set the villager to work on it, and it worked just as I wanted, giving the illusion that the guy is repairing his fishing boat. *thumbs up*

But what if I wanted to make the guy work infinitely, without stopping? Because so far, the guy will eventually finish and stop once the invisible house is fully repaired. I can't do loop triggers, because that will cause the house to collapse in the end, but I imagine a work-around would be to set it 99999HP and set 2 triggers with a "if the house is damaged to 1% and 2%" condition, but that would be a waste of trigger space, imo. o_O

In the Empires editor, iirc you can just do it by setting "trigger on" effect as soon as it fires, making the trigger active again and allowing the effects to occur again, as long as it again, satisfies the condition. Heck, using that, I made commoners resemble as slaves going round in circles trying to pull ropes that operate a massive wheel machinery, observable during gameplay, with slave guards whipping them; they would fall down, get up again, and walk around in circles pulling the ropes once more.

However, in the aom editor, enable/disable trigger effects don't seem to work as I thought it would, sadly. Is there an effect that does such a thing? (i.e. make a trigger active again and fire its effects once the conditions are satisfied... every single time, and prevent it from being inactive)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Alright, I have a hunch that using the timer condition might be an alternative solution, so I'll have to disregard the whole "every time the condition is satisfied, the trigger will fire every single time" idea, for now. Not sure if that's possible for now though. :-S

Anyway, if I manage to find out the repair rate of a greek villager per second on a house, I'll have to do trial and error to ensure that the house will be damaged at the same rate as the repair rate. Not really sure if there's a table that shows such a thing here, I'll probably have to check it out, but what I got so far is that a greek vill's repair rate on a house is between 2.02 and 2.03% per second.

Now I'm thinking about a greek villager's gather rate per second, coz I wanted to do another visual where a fisherman gathers fish from a fishing boat, and his wife collects it and delivers it to the market, (Heck, just for fun, let's put in their children fighting and their grandad sitting down and watching his grandkids. xD) which I think it's kinda more complicated than the fishing ship being repaired. :P

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 08-07-2017 @ 09:33 AM).]

eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
posted 07 August 2017 11:53 AM EDT (US)     448 / 678       
You just have to make this trigger (high priority)
Condition unit damaged >=95%
Effect damage unit 25%
This on loop
That's all
Mazeppa
Mortal
posted 08 August 2017 04:41 AM EDT (US)     449 / 678       
^ Damn, I see.. I never realized it was that simple. o_O I'll try that out later. :P

Also one more thing.. I've managed to actually accomplish the whole fisherman gathers fish from his boat and fisherman's wife takes it to the market and disappears, then appears again and comes back in full cycle. (I'm so damn satisfied with this, despite the fact that the fisherman's wife appears as a dude sometimes, haha!! Maybe I'll just try Athena instead of the Atlantean villager, I dunno really.) but there's one problem.

I can't seem to modify how much food the invisible deer has - I mean, I think it's possible coz I remember playing The_Vandaal's Nibelungen campaign, which had buildings or something, containing 5 or 10 gold, iirc, but I can't seem to find an effect that does that in the triggers.

I kinda wanted to modify the deer to have food containing to infinite values, instead of just 150 food, so that the fisherman can't escape this gathering process.

[This message has been edited by Mazeppa (edited 08-08-2017 @ 04:44 AM).]

eine_Gurkensalat
Mortal
posted 08 August 2017 11:11 AM EDT (US)     450 / 678       
I don't know a lot for that but a work around is to set rate gathering (it is an original effect it can be rate construction that work also for gathering)

And of course put infinite carry capacity to the villager

Another way is to overlap deers but it isn't simple and not infinite
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 16 17 18 19 20 ··· 27  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames