You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AI, RMS Scripting, and Modding
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1311 replies, Sticky
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » AI, RMS Scripting, and Modding » Got a Question? Ask it Here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Got a Question? Ask it Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 49 50 51 52 53  Next Page »
buppy
Mortal
(id: pubby8)
posted 21 January 2011 01:55 PM EDT (US)         
Post all modding/rms/ai questions in this thread.

Visit Programs and Tutorials for Modding/RMS/AI or the Modding Library for helpful resources.

FAQ:

•  I get an error that says "Initialization Failed" when I start my game after installing a mod. What do I do?
    This error is almost always caused by an improperly installed mod. Sometimes it's something else. Undo what you did and try again. If you're still having trouble, outline what you did here and we can help.

•  How can I easily view and edit the xpacklanguage.dll file?
    Download Resource Hacker, you can find it in one of the links above.

•  Is there a way to stop the player color from showing up in a texture?
    Cover the white bits in the bottom half of the texture file with black. That should solve it.

•  Is there anywhere I can find a list of all the possible VisualParticles for the anim files? ie. HeroGlow, Kronos Smoke, etc.
    Visual Particles are stored in the Models bar files. Extract, and sort by type. They are the .PRTs.
    These are code that run a series of .tga files (9-12 played in cycles) and can be varied by replacing the images through a hex edit of the .prt.
    Somewhere in the code are things like size/speed etc. but it's inconsistent. Just pick a .prt that is about the size you want and create the .tga files. They work like 12/4/0/5 bitmaps using grey-scale for transparency.

•  How do you change the music? ie. add your own music to the game so you can play it while listening to your favorite music?
    With this.

•  How can I make my own campaigns?
    Use this.

•  How can I change the names of the ai?
    See here.

•  How do I add multiple mods so they don't overwrite eachother?
    This will teach you how to edit your protox and add mods on top of eachother.

•  How can I make my own BAR files?
    Download this.

•  Where is the main game folder for the Steam version of AoM?
    Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Mythology.

Some tags from the aomx.exe:
    Hit Grunt Select MaxLOS Recover GatherFish TeleportOut TeleportIn GatherBush Closing Opening Closed Opened RangedWalkAttack BehindAttack RightAttack LeftAttack Kill JumpLand JumpFly JumpTakeoff Flail Pray CastAttack WalkAttack Charging PivotLeft PivotRight Walk Talk Run GatherMine GatherHunt GatherFarm GatherChop Carry AutoLOS Unbuild HeroDeath TownBell BuckAttack Teleport CorpseDecay Boost Eat Explore LightningAttack Gate Swallow GetOnMover AutoMover Guard Trade ConvertAttack FreezeAttack Eject ChargedRangedAttack WhirlwindAttack Dropoff Gore Throw AutoGather Empower Use Regenerate Unused2 DiveBomb Pickup JumpMove Guide Attach Unused1 JumpAttack Light Lightning Thrown MoveAttack GatherPoint Dormant Freeze AreaAttack Birth AutoConvert Enter Wander Unused0 Work OverrideAnimation Train Research Repair RangedAttack MoveByGroup Move Idle Hunting Heal HandAttack Gather Decay Death Convert Build Bored LokiHero

A useful guide:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257883223

The ultimate modeling guide:
    http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11367

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 03-01-2018 @ 08:10 AM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    (id: aom expert)
    posted 11 August 2017 01:49 PM EDT (US)     1251 / 1311       
    You could do that with the triggers you have already, if that way works for you.

Check out my YouTube
    For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
    XLightningStormL
    Mortal
    (id: TheBronyKing11)
    posted 11 August 2017 09:50 PM EDT (US)     1252 / 1311       
    I have no idea how to get any of this .xs stuff working.

Loggy, do you have a steam account or any other form of quick contact? if so, just add me via steam (same username as steam)

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
    Igor br
    Mortal
    posted 26 September 2017 04:44 PM EDT (US)     1253 / 1311       
    can someone help me? why the admiralx AI doesnt work on editor?

I setup the control to CPU, add the AI, and when I test, it simple does nothing, not even that AI error pop up.

[I'm using TT, NOT EE]
    TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    posted 06 October 2017 08:21 AM EDT (US)     1254 / 1311       
    I'm pretty sure you have to go through the "load scenario" option at the main menu for the ai to work

Check out my YouTube
    For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
    nottud
    Mortal
    posted 06 October 2017 02:42 PM EDT (US)     1255 / 1311       
    Make sure the player type is set to AI rather than human.
    Callistonian
    Mortal
    posted 21 February 2018 00:57 AM EDT (US)     1256 / 1311       
    Does anyone know which proto tags control bored animations? I've noticed that most of the animals in AoM have nice bored animations that never play.

I originally thought that the wander timer (loosely based on the idletimeout tag), was simply shorter than the idle animation interval which would prevent it from playing. But removing all the wander tags doesn't allow the bored animations to play. So I figure it must be some tag like Nature, Food, Resource, Huntable, Herdable, etc. Hopefully it's a tag that I can get away with deleting while still preserving the essential functionality of the animal.

Thanks.
    TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    posted 21 February 2018 08:12 PM EDT (US)     1257 / 1311       
    reminds me of this http://aom.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=19,29544,,all

also, check "a useful guide" at the bottom of this thread header, it contains good info

and of course the tags above, which I'm assuming you looked at!

and of course my name is TAG

TAG

you're it.

okay im dun

Check out my YouTube
    Callistonian
    Mortal
    posted 21 February 2018 09:07 PM EDT (US)     1258 / 1311       
    It's not a simple anim problem, that much is sure. For Wollie's question in that thread, the answer is to just separate the attack animations by version not by SetSelector. Using SetSelector will cause the unit to pick one or the other and only use that one until the action is complete. Separating by version will let the unit pick randomly from both during the animation (see Hoplite attack).

Without doing anything to the animal's (a horse, in this case) anim file, I can make the bored animations work by replacing all of the proto data for the unit with the data for Villager Greek or Hoplite or some other unit that has bored animations. So clearly, there is(are) some proto tag(s) that controls the functionality.

Further testing shows that it's probably not related to the unittype, logicaltype, or actions. I have also tried unitaitype and initialunitaistance which also didn't work. I guess it will just take more testing. Somewhere between deer and villager greek is a tag that makes this work.

[This message has been edited by Callistonian (edited 02-21-2018 @ 09:08 PM).]

Izalith
    Mortal
    (id: Lilitu)
    posted 22 February 2018 12:13 PM EDT (US)     1259 / 1311       
    good work there.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
    Izalith
    Mortal
    posted 02 March 2018 03:02 PM EDT (US)     1260 / 1311       
    Hello,

I want a tiny mod for the Cinematic Block (online compatible) but dont know how to do it.

If you are in the Scenario on some units you can right click before placement to get another variation of the unit. The cinematic block has 2 variations. One Red/Blue "Yardstick" and one Green/Yellow AI Marker.

The Yardstick if clicked is surrounded by the player color of the owner, just like any other unit or the Revealer to Player is.
    The AI Marker has no Visual Feedback to let you know if it is selected.

Can the AI Marker be changed so that it is also surrounded by the player color when selected without Protox-Changes making it not compatible for Online Mode?

If I open the Cinematic Block_anim.txt there is no addon like "Hero Glow" or something, it just tells me I suck.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    posted 02 March 2018 04:29 PM EDT (US)     1261 / 1311       
    unfortunately whether or not that outline is there is determined by the protox (I'm 99% sure but I will be able to check later)

What you could do is modify the texture so that the player color shows up on it. it does take some knowledge of texture editing. I semi-know how to do it but i may not have the ability/tools to do it at the moment. basically when you look at a texture for a unit with player colors on it, it has 2 halves, the one at the top is the texture map and at the bottom are black and white shapes that line up with the texture. the white is where the player color comes up.

these are a certain kind of textures though and you just have to know which settings to pick when you convert it back. you can use a texture that already has a half for player colors as reference. AoMEd is the tool for this kind of texture conversion, and only works on textures for vanilla and tt, not the ee.

check out my file on this site called The Anubite Revisted. I actually had to do something like this when i was given only the top half of a texture. if was from a once-concieved anubite "statue" that never made it into the game, but the files were there. the statues however don't have player colors on them so the bottom half was missing. I wanted this texture for an Anubite, where player colors do show and there is a bottom half. so what I did was I converted an anubite texture for editing, didn't do anything, then converted it back and it told me the settings I needed. so I went back to this anubite statue texture and added a bottom half myself (just copied it from the anunite unit). then when I converted it back I just used the same settings for converting back the Anubite unit. and I was able to get this texture on the Anubite and have it properly show the player color.

I know this is alot to take in, especially if you're knowledge in this is limited, but I could probably guide you through it.

believe it or not, I was actually thinking of making a mod like this at some point, but if I recall correctly I think I had trouble finding the actual cinematic block texture, or I just gave up early.

you've given me the idea to take a stab back at this though so maybe ill have an actual mod for you soon enough.

Check out my YouTube

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 03-02-2018 @ 04:32 PM).]

Izalith
    Mortal
    posted 02 March 2018 04:57 PM EDT (US)     1262 / 1311       
    I have not seen it in the protox.

Also it would be weird, because there are 2 Cinematic Block units which share the same Protox Unit. Like you can right click before placing in the editor to change between male and female villagers, you can change between the BlueRed and GreenYellow version of the Block.

Just one version reacts when clicked and shows you that it is selected, while the other does not.
    It is the same protox entry.

I made you a Screenshot to show what I mean:

Both are selected, but only the left one shows with the player color that it is selected. Both are "Cinematic Block" units, just different variations.

I place all cinematic blocks for Gaia/Player Zero, so the player color is not important to me. But I use a lot of Conditions/Effects on which i have to choose Source or Target Units. When I click "Show" and have selected multiple units, one of the cinematic blocks is helpful, the other is not.

It would be nice to use a second kind of cinematic block for other kinds of triggers, but for now I am restricted to only the left one because only that is helpful.

Though adding more (helpful reactive on selection) cinematic block variations in different colors would be nice too. Especially in the right form where it shows you where the unit is headed too. Because the RedBlue one does a terrible job at that not pointing anywhere. If you find the texture draw scragins face on the side showing the block direction.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 03-02-2018 @ 04:59 PM).]

TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    posted 02 March 2018 05:01 PM EDT (US)     1263 / 1311       
    I already know exactly what you're referring to, and yes being able to see what direction it's facing would also be ideal. this is something I will work on.

Check out my YouTube
    Izalith
    Mortal
    posted 02 March 2018 05:09 PM EDT (US)     1264 / 1311       
    Sorry then, I misunderstood. The player color itself is not too important to me, but having it right on the outline would be great of course. But it can't be the protox then for reasons pointed out!

Well, since you're familiar with texture stuff I'm curious to see if you can figure it out

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 03-02-2018 @ 05:10 PM).]

TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    posted 02 March 2018 05:19 PM EDT (US)     1265 / 1311       
    but with the player color in the texture, you'll be able to immediately see what player it belongs to.

Check out my YouTube
    Izalith
    Mortal
    posted 02 March 2018 05:24 PM EDT (US)     1266 / 1311       
    Well, sounds nice but as stated is not important to me, because most of the 300 cinematic blocks placed on the map belong to Player 0. Only few are hostile and belong to the Enemy PC Player.
    I just want to know if it's selected, the direction and have 1 or 2 color variations maybe so that I know which ones do what in a stack of 10 blocks.

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 03-02-2018 @ 05:27 PM).]

Callistonian
    Mortal
    posted 03 March 2018 05:28 AM EDT (US)     1267 / 1311       
    Izalith, I think you're talking about the selection circle (square) for the cinematic block right? For EE, both the "editor utility yardstick" (dark equilateral triangular prism) and the "ai marker" (green isosceles/directional triangular prism) have selection squares but they may have added one for ai marker just in EE. The selection circles/squares are not affiliated with the proto data per se, they are affiliated with the BRG.

For the first part of your request, you can just do a search in models and modelsfx for ai marker.dcl. If it's not there, make a new dcl file with that name and do something like this:

Shadow Unit Square 16x16/Shadow Select Square 32x32/1.2/1.6

This will make a selection rectangle 1.2 wide by 1.6 long which should do the trick.

The second part of your request, adding direction arrows to the utility yardstick texture, is a bit tricky. In EE, the yardstick and the ai marker models appear colored during "pre-placement" in the editor, but turn black when you actually click to place them. I had to open them up in 3ds Max to see what was going on because taking a HEX editor to the BRGs didn't show a texture name!

It turns out, these models don't actually use textures! They just use two different solidly colored materials which is why they look black in EE. The models also have all sorts of random attachpoints... I've honestly never seen any AoM model that looks likes this before, it's some sort of alien.

In order to draw a little arrow on the top of the yardstick, you would need to actually make a new diffuse map for it and UV it (or I guess, you could carve arrow-shaped geometry into the top of the mesh and use the existing colors, but that won't work in EE). But, if one is to go to all this trouble, one may as well just model entirely new cinematic blocks in different shapes.

I have added "make new cinematic blocks" to my to do list for EE, the models and DCLs will transfer directly into TT but you may need to port the textures and data when I get around to making this.
    TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    posted 03 March 2018 09:25 AM EDT (US)     1268 / 1311       
    I was just about comment that I know why I gave up on it half that paragraph was for nothing, seems I was wrong about the outline too

Thanks Cast, I'm learning something too

I think he uses TT anyway so no need to import

Check out my YouTube

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 03-03-2018 @ 09:29 AM).]

Izalith
    Mortal
    posted 03 March 2018 12:29 PM EDT (US)     1269 / 1311       
    Woooooorks! Thank you graphics person Callistonian! I never rly worked much in the models folder nor ever had 3ds Max/Blender or such software.

It is interesting that the Yardstick is textureless. Well, with the directional green one now usable and the BlueRed one for distance queries I'm pretty happy.

If you want to u can put up the Yard Stick Model as a mini Mod in the downloads section. Imgur should have both images available, so just use them. Otherwise I'd do it and link here to give you the credit. :P

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    posted 03 March 2018 01:01 PM EDT (US)     1270 / 1311       
    somebody do it, I don't care who, especially if this works online

Check out my YouTube
    Callistonian
    Mortal
    posted 03 March 2018 05:08 PM EDT (US)     1271 / 1311       
    You are welcome to upload that DCL file. I already posted this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1319049057 today so I've hit my quota for spammy mods that barely do anything

I'm still thinking about making a mod at some point with a bunch of new cinematic blocks, of course such a mod wouldn't be online compatible.
    TAG
    AoMH Seraph
    posted 03 March 2018 07:51 PM EDT (US)     1272 / 1311       
    upload it, Izalith

Check out my YouTube
    Izalith
    Mortal
    posted 03 March 2018 08:43 PM EDT (US)     1273 / 1311       
    done

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11380

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

[This message has been edited by Izalith (edited 03-03-2018 @ 08:44 PM).]

XLightningStormL
    Mortal
    (id: TheBronyKing11)
    posted 09 March 2018 10:23 AM EDT (US)     1274 / 1311       
    Izalith

you better protect your page, the mods are getting restless and trigger happy:
    http://ageofempires.wikia.com/wiki/File_System_(Age_of_Mythology)

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
    Callistonian
    Mortal
    posted 13 March 2018 04:49 PM EDT (US)     1275 / 1311       
    I decided to go ahead and make that 'better cinematic block' mod for EE and I ran into a boat load of unexpected issues. First, I tried to animated stripes of player color running along the sides of the blocks but I realized two problems with this: 1) you need tons of key frames because 3ds Max can't linearize the interpolation between UV keys, i.e. with insufficient keys the animation appears to speed up at the start and slow down towards the end which makes it very discontinuous (there probably is a solution to this because 3ds can do literally everything but darned if I can find it). 2) You can't animate player color textures because animated UV maps use the Alpha flag when exporting with AMP.

So I ditched the idea of animated player color stripes entirely and then I ran into a whole 'nother issue. I can only select my cinematic block on the top half of the mesh in-game. I can't select it from the bottom. Has anyone ever encountered this before where you can only select certain parts of an object? Maybe you can think of an example from in-game that already behaves like this? I'm at a total loss as to what could be causing this.

Resolved: It appears to be affected primarily by the presence or lack of a DCL file (selection circle). If you don't have that, you can only select a small part of the mesh. It may also have something to do with 3D text in Max and deletion thereof but I'm not 100% sure.

[This message has been edited by Callistonian (edited 03-14-2018 @ 01:52 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 49 50 51 52 53  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames