You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modding and Scripting
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1329 replies, Sticky
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Modding and Scripting » Got a Question? Ask it Here!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Got a Question? Ask it Here!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 31 32 33 34 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 54  Next Page »
buppy
Mortal
(id: pubby8)
posted 21 January 2011 01:55 PM EDT (US)         
Post all modding/rms/ai questions in this thread.

Visit Programs and Tutorials for Modding/RMS/AI or the Modding Library for helpful resources.

FAQ:

•  I get an error that says "Initialization Failed" when I start my game after installing a mod. What do I do?
    This error is almost always caused by an improperly installed mod. Sometimes it's something else. Undo what you did and try again. If you're still having trouble, outline what you did here and we can help.

•  How can I easily view and edit the xpacklanguage.dll file?
    Download Resource Hacker, you can find it in one of the links above.

•  Is there a way to stop the player color from showing up in a texture?
    Cover the white bits in the bottom half of the texture file with black. That should solve it.

•  Is there anywhere I can find a list of all the possible VisualParticles for the anim files? ie. HeroGlow, Kronos Smoke, etc.
    Visual Particles are stored in the Models bar files. Extract, and sort by type. They are the .PRTs.
    These are code that run a series of .tga files (9-12 played in cycles) and can be varied by replacing the images through a hex edit of the .prt.
    Somewhere in the code are things like size/speed etc. but it's inconsistent. Just pick a .prt that is about the size you want and create the .tga files. They work like 12/4/0/5 bitmaps using grey-scale for transparency.

•  How do you change the music? ie. add your own music to the game so you can play it while listening to your favorite music?
    With this.

•  How can I make my own campaigns?
    Use this.

•  How can I change the names of the ai?
    See here.

•  How do I add multiple mods so they don't overwrite eachother?
    This will teach you how to edit your protox and add mods on top of eachother.

•  How can I make my own BAR files?
    Download this.

•  Where is the main game folder for the Steam version of AoM?
    Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age of Mythology.

Some tags from the aomx.exe:
    Hit Grunt Select MaxLOS Recover GatherFish TeleportOut TeleportIn GatherBush Closing Opening Closed Opened RangedWalkAttack BehindAttack RightAttack LeftAttack Kill JumpLand JumpFly JumpTakeoff Flail Pray CastAttack WalkAttack Charging PivotLeft PivotRight Walk Talk Run GatherMine GatherHunt GatherFarm GatherChop Carry AutoLOS Unbuild HeroDeath TownBell BuckAttack Teleport CorpseDecay Boost Eat Explore LightningAttack Gate Swallow GetOnMover AutoMover Guard Trade ConvertAttack FreezeAttack Eject ChargedRangedAttack WhirlwindAttack Dropoff Gore Throw AutoGather Empower Use Regenerate Unused2 DiveBomb Pickup JumpMove Guide Attach Unused1 JumpAttack Light Lightning Thrown MoveAttack GatherPoint Dormant Freeze AreaAttack Birth AutoConvert Enter Wander Unused0 Work OverrideAnimation Train Research Repair RangedAttack MoveByGroup Move Idle Hunting Heal HandAttack Gather Decay Death Convert Build Bored LokiHero

A useful guide:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257883223

The ultimate modeling guide:
    http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11367

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 03-01-2018 @ 08:10 AM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    TAG
    That AoM Guy
    (id: aom expert)
    posted 04 February 2015 04:27 PM EDT (US)     776 / 1329       
    question about god power editing: can you simply edit a godpower xmb/xml and simply shove it back in the godpowers folder and have it work? (just like a texture or anim change) because it's not working for me.

Check out my YouTube
    For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
    XLightningStormL
    Mortal
    (id: TheBronyKing11)
    posted 07 February 2015 04:25 PM EDT (US)     777 / 1329       
    The game doesn't like loading "Double godpowers" files, because then it causes errors with the A.I, and Save games, and scenarios.

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
    WarriorMario
    Mortal
    posted 08 February 2015 01:34 AM EDT (US)     778 / 1329       
    That's not true TBK.
    The game either loads the .bar files or if you removed it and extracted all godpower files it will read all the files. So extracting one file and modifying it without pushing it back in the .bar file will not work.

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
    Tatanka
    Mortal
    posted 27 February 2015 11:38 AM EDT (US)     779 / 1329       
    hi,

how i could change the priority for the target, i'm tired to see the soldiers running after the caravans. if a soldier has the choice between an enemy soldier or a caravan, he chooses always the caravan.
    TAG
    That AoM Guy
    posted 01 March 2015 01:49 PM EDT (US)     780 / 1329       
    What purpose does tag FootstepLeft/Right do in anim files? What does it do, how is it different from anything else, and what is it for? Mostly seems to be used in walking but it's in some other things too.

edit: nevermind figured it out. for people who are curious, it communicates with the protox by setting things like footprints, camera shakes, etc. when units walk and stuff

Check out my YouTube
    For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 03-01-2015 @ 01:56 PM).]

Rmorse1
    Mortal
    posted 13 March 2015 01:34 AM EDT (US)     781 / 1329       
    I just got the EE of AoM off of Steam. It seems like a oslid enough version of the game, and apparently the only version that will run on W8 (correct me if there is a way to run the original AoM on W8). All well and good...

But I want to run my favorite mod on the game and it is a unit models mod http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=7625&ci=8bd22e3a6443cb47dd42b2747d012561YToyOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czo4OiJNb2RwYWNrcyI7aToxO3M6Mjg6Imxpc3Rlci5waHA/Y2F0ZWdvcnk9bW9kcGFja3MiO31pOjE7YToyOntpOjA7czoyNDoiTW9kcGFja3M6IFNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRzIjtpOjE7czo2NDoibGlzdGVyLnBocD9zdGFydD02MCZhbXA7c2VhcmNoPWdyZWVrIHVuaXRzJmFtcDtjYXRlZ29yeT1tb2RwYWNrcyI7fX0=

^this one. After a lot of research I've discovered that you can't really run the old mods on the steam EE but I'd like to know if there is a way to do so.

so far what I've tried is the traditional manual install of the mod, as described in the zip. That worked until the 3rd mission in the campaign then it refused to load and just CTD'd every time. I've reinstalled the game 3 times so far. I've also tried using the steam workshop mod manager and that worked (sorta) for random map play but the game still crashed in campaign..

any ideas? and yes i made this account just to ask this, but ive been playing age games since original AoE when I was like 8 years old.

edit- it seems to crash on cutscenes. for some reason it works in random map but the units dont have weapons... so only half working..

[This message has been edited by Rmorse1 (edited 03-13-2015 @ 01:38 AM).]

WarriorMario
    Mortal
    posted 13 March 2015 11:35 AM EDT (US)     782 / 1329       
    Most visual mods are not compatible with AoM:EE but all of them are convertable. It just takes some time and you need to know how to convert them.

ind10s
    Mortal
    posted 16 March 2015 06:45 AM EDT (US)     783 / 1329       
    hey ppl, is there any way to change/edit the ingame cursors? i went to the cursors folder inside textures and changed all the tga and cur files there but the ingame ones remain the same.
    XLightningStormL
    Mortal
    (id: TheBronyKing11)
    posted 20 March 2015 10:37 PM EDT (US)     784 / 1329       
    @inds10
    You can't, the cursors are defined only in the .exe

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
    TAG
    That AoM Guy
    posted 21 March 2015 01:00 AM EDT (US)     785 / 1329       
    you can use resource hacker to open the aomx.exe and change them

Check out my YouTube
    ind10s
    Mortal
    posted 21 March 2015 07:24 AM EDT (US)     786 / 1329       
    oh i see, they are hard coded then, but they still use a texture which should be editable modable am i right?
    TAG
    That AoM Guy
    posted 21 March 2015 11:09 AM EDT (US)     787 / 1329       
    You can either extract it from the exe, edit it, and put it back in, or just edit the texture in the folder and replace it.

use AoMed to convert

Check out my YouTube

[This message has been edited by Thangbrand Aesirear (edited 03-21-2015 @ 11:10 AM).]

ind10s
    Mortal
    posted 28 March 2015 11:09 AM EDT (US)     788 / 1329       
    got it, thanks a lot for the imput guys, no more losing the cursor on big batles and such ;P

NicoSubic
    Mortal
    posted 06 April 2015 04:37 PM EDT (US)     789 / 1329       
    Hey everybody!
    I am new to modding and i would like to know which part of the ddt maps of a titan are for which part, i am kinda confused with the layout and i would appreciate every kind of help!
    ind10s
    Mortal
    posted 06 April 2015 06:55 PM EDT (US)     790 / 1329       
    hmm, best metod i know is by loading one of the titan models in to gmax and check the map coordinates, ej, you stract greek titan idle animation from models.bar , then you load it to gmax using the import scripts and aply an unwrap modifier to the mesh, then press edit and the map coordinates are there. i can take an ss of the map coordinates for you if you dont have gmax, what titan are you skining?
    NicoSubic
    Mortal
    posted 07 April 2015 11:04 AM EDT (US)     791 / 1329       
    I would like to make new titans and use Kronos and the Promtheus titan as base, the skins are the last piece i have to work on.
    But thanks for the information, but unfortunaly i dont have gmax and the last time I tried to install and use it was...well lets say it was comlicated
    ind10s
    Mortal
    posted 07 April 2015 06:28 PM EDT (US)     792 / 1329       
    i check it out and it seems titans use grn file format for their models so no use for gmax anyway, one thing you can try is to paint the bitmaps of the texture in diferent colors and then check in game which parts of the titans are painted with which colors, that way you would have a good idea of lets say X bit map belongs to the legs, etc.
    NicoSubic
    Mortal
    posted 09 April 2015 12:32 PM EDT (US)     793 / 1329       
    The texture is finished and it working as a new skin for an existing titan, but if I make a new unit and want to use the texture, the unit just uses the old skin. Ive checked the spelling and everything else but i cant find my mistake...
    Ive used the replacetexture command like this:

VisualGranny Titan X Promethean_idleA
    ReplaceTexture Titan X Promethean 1/pontos body
    ReplaceTexture Titan X Promethean 2/pontos rest
    Connect FRONTABDOMEN lightningblast hotspot

[This message has been edited by NicoSubic (edited 04-09-2015 @ 02:29 PM).]

ind10s
    Mortal
    posted 09 April 2015 04:07 PM EDT (US)     794 / 1329       
    most likely because ReplaceTexture command dosnt work with grn models, so you would have to hex edit the grn files to change the texture name (if it is even posible) or create a new titan model from the scratch, if there is anotter way i dont know, quite new to modding this game too so maybe someone with more experience could offer more insight on the subject.
    WarriorMario
    Mortal
    posted 09 April 2015 04:19 PM EDT (US)     795 / 1329       
    Yeah replace texture is incompatible with grn models. You will have to hex edit it. I think there is a guide somewhere.

moebiuscorzer
    Mortal
    posted 13 April 2015 03:58 PM EDT (US)     796 / 1329       
    EDIT2: I'm on AoM:EE

I'm trying to understand how to implant modified models in AoM with 3DS Max, but I have some issues.

I followed the guide with the teapot, but it's quite different for existing models, already textured,...

What I did:

1. Opened 3DS Max and ran the ABE script.
    2. Opened "building g shrine.brg" with ABE then exported it to Max.
    3. Opened "world g statue chimera.brg" with ABE then exported it to Max (without clearing the scene).
    4. Duplicated (in Max) the chimera statue and rescaled both of them.
    5. Saved in Max and then in ABE as "somename.brg".
    6. Exported from Max with ABE.
    7. Renamed the exported file "building g shrine.brg" and moved it to Age of Mythology > Models (replacing the original one).

I went to the ingame editor and tried to place a unit: it worked. I tried to place the shrine: the game crashed.

I guess it is a common problem when trying to add a new model. But what did I do wrong?

I've also a little problem with texturing. For example, when I try to change Ajax's textures, it is quite difficult because it's all in one (shield, head, armor,...). If I want to change his shield to be circular, how can I change the texture to match the new shape?

Another question:
    What are the "*.dcl" files related to buildings? How can I change them? My first issue is probably related to the fact that the unmodified "building g shrine.dcl" doesn't match the new .brg.

Thanks for your answer!

EDIT: Ok, I found this topic which says that "*.dcl" are related to shadows. But it doesn't help mec much.

[Moebius]
    Steam: moebiuscorzer

[This message has been edited by moebiuscorzer (edited 04-14-2015 @ 08:08 AM).]

Android 000
    Mortal
    (id: Android GRRR)
    posted 14 April 2015 12:45 PM EDT (US)     797 / 1329       
    I'll have to update the teapot guide for AoM:EE. Basically, the main difference is that you need a MTRL file to go along with your model (which is not currently supported by the mod manager so you have to paste it in manually) and the textures (DDT) are in a different format. You can get the first from ABE and for the textures you can use this.
    moebiuscorzer
    Mortal
    posted 14 April 2015 12:59 PM EDT (US)     798 / 1329       
    I follow your guide about the teapot and managed to implement it in the game (I didn't want to use the textures, so basically only the slightly animated model with the Agammenon textures). It helped me to understand the basics of the software, so great thanks for this guide.

I don't understand the thing about MTRL though, because I didn't mind that when putting the teapot into the game but it worked. And what do you mean by "[it] is not supported by the mod manager"?

About the textures, my problem is mainly to understand how making them match to the new shape of my model but I think it's written in the brg file and related to the appropriate "*.ddt". I'll explore that. If I managed to implement a new model, it would be a good step forward.

In any case, thank you for your help and reply, Android!

[Moebius]
    Steam: moebiuscorzer

[This message has been edited by moebiuscorzer (edited 04-14-2015 @ 01:04 PM).]

ahmed1997
    Mortal
    posted 14 April 2015 06:04 PM EDT (US)     799 / 1329       
    abe is not exporting models.

it wills ave them and they have a proper looking filesize so it looks like some things are proper.

I took a unit, made a new unit on top of it deleted the old unit, used the same texture mapping for the old unit but with new .bmp names so its the same settings as the old unit with new .bmp names to go after.

So i after getting everything ready click import from max it imports everything then saves

In game its just a blank model? nothing is there. this thing is ****ing huge too I would see it clearly would see it
    Android 000
    Mortal
    (id: Android GRRR)
    posted 14 April 2015 06:20 PM EDT (US)     800 / 1329       
    moebiuscorzer, MTRL files are specific to AoM:EE. They are basically extracts from the BRGs and you can find them in \materials. ABE can create them for you. It's just that you will have to manually copy/paste them into that folder since the in-game mod manager is still quite buggy.

As for your question about matching the textures to the model, you will want to learn about UV maps. Basically, what you are looking for is in the model file, and you will find some 3ds Max tutorials on this.
    made a new unit on top of it deleted the old unit
    ahmed, what you are trying to do seems actually quite complex. Can you try to go through my tutorial first, step by step, doing everything like I described? It will help you to get a feel for the whole process before you move on to more complicated stuff. Are you on AoM:EE or Vanilla, by the way?

I am glad to see both of you getting started with AoM modding - it will require some fiddling and patience but you will get there
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 31 32 33 34 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 54  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames