Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » News » Age of Mythology: EX Q&A
Bottom
Topic Subject:Age of Mythology: EX Q&A
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Elpea
Hal
(id: lp_usa)
posted 01 May 2014 07:52 PM EDT (US)         
Wondering about the changes coming up with Age of Mythology EX? Still on the fence about buying it unless the titan units' are absolutely glamorous with the new lighting system? Need to know if the flying purple hippos are still the best unit? Wonder no more! Starting today you can post all your Age of Mythology EX question right here in this post and on this Saturday and Sunday I will be answering your questions right here as best as I can.

Also - if you are a map designer and wants to know if your map loads and works with the new version, just link me to your download and I'll be happy to test it.

See you in the battlefield!

AuthorReplies:
Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 01 May 2014 07:59 PM EDT (US)     1 / 72       
I'm guessing you have it already? If so... do these work?

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=10499&ci=605bf6f15cf6fe8f80354eed85e01af0YToyOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoyMzoiU2luZ2xlIFBsYXllciBTY2VuYXJpb3MiO2k6MTtzOjQyOiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP2NhdGVnb3J5PXNpbmdsZSZhbXA7cz1kJmFtcDtvPWQiO31pOjE7YToyOntpOjA7czoxOToiRmlsZXMgYnkgWmVub3Bob2JpYSI7aToxO3M6NzY6Imxpc3Rlci5waHA/c3RhcnQ9MCZhbXA7YXV0aG9yPXplbm9waG9iaWEmYW1wO2NhdGVnb3J5PXNpbmdsZSZhbXA7cz1kJmFtcDtvPWQiO319

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=10743&ci=605bf6f15cf6fe8f80354eed85e01af0YToyOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoyMzoiU2luZ2xlIFBsYXllciBTY2VuYXJpb3MiO2k6MTtzOjQyOiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP2NhdGVnb3J5PXNpbmdsZSZhbXA7cz1kJmFtcDtvPWQiO31pOjE7YToyOntpOjA7czoxOToiRmlsZXMgYnkgWmVub3Bob2JpYSI7aToxO3M6NzY6Imxpc3Rlci5waHA/c3RhcnQ9MCZhbXA7YXV0aG9yPXplbm9waG9iaWEmYW1wO2NhdGVnb3J5PXNpbmdsZSZhbXA7cz1kJmFtcDtvPWQiO319

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=10592&ci=605bf6f15cf6fe8f80354eed85e01af0YToyOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoyMzoiU2luZ2xlIFBsYXllciBTY2VuYXJpb3MiO2k6MTtzOjQyOiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP2NhdGVnb3J5PXNpbmdsZSZhbXA7cz1kJmFtcDtvPWQiO31pOjE7YToyOntpOjA7czoxOToiRmlsZXMgYnkgWmVub3Bob2JpYSI7aToxO3M6NzY6Imxpc3Rlci5waHA/c3RhcnQ9MCZhbXA7YXV0aG9yPXplbm9waG9iaWEmYW1wO2NhdGVnb3J5PXNpbmdsZSZhbXA7cz1kJmFtcDtvPWQiO319

EDIT: And are there new directories to put stuff like sound files in?

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 05-01-2014 @ 07:59 PM).]

TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 01 May 2014 08:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 72       
All I wanna know is if there are any reasons why scenarios wouldn't work in the new edition...

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
anterior2
Scenario Design Expert
posted 01 May 2014 09:04 PM EDT (US)     3 / 72       
Is the replacement for AoM's ESO better or worse than the ESO used in AoE3?

Is the new campaign good?

Have there been any fundamental changes that will cause a person that never played the original AoM (i.e. myself) to have a different experience playing AoM:EX compared to if I bought the original AoM?

How did you gain access to the beta?

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!

[This message has been edited by anterior2 (edited 05-01-2014 @ 09:05 PM).]

nottud
Citizen
posted 01 May 2014 09:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 72       
Does the transform trigger work?
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 01 May 2014 10:44 PM EDT (US)     5 / 72       
Is the new campaign good?
its not new. its the golden gift. you can google it and download it.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
WarriorMario
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 00:33 AM EDT (US)     6 / 72       
Got a version too

And are there new directories to put stuff like sound files in?
Yes but not for sounds and it I think it is not very useful for atleast the scenario editors. You should be able to change the clouds and lightning though

Is the replacement for AoM's ESO better or worse than the ESO used in AoE3?
Dunno about AoE3 but it has an all chat! It's not as good as ESO though but it is better than I expected. Things like community day achievements are added.

Have there been any fundamental changes that will cause a person that never played the original AoM (i.e. myself) to have a different experience playing AoM:EX compared to if I bought the original AoM?
No unless they keep the bugs of course but if you played the old version you will notice the visual updates a lot. Some are annoying IMO

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
XLightningStormL
Citizen
(id: TheBronyKing11)
posted 02 May 2014 01:27 AM EDT (US)     7 / 72       
tried any mods elpea?
Yeebaagooon
EXCO Emeritus
posted 02 May 2014 03:17 AM EDT (US)     8 / 72       
Can we have a screenshot of you in the editor and the trigger interface?

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"I saw the picture and became immediately worried about Yeeb seducing and buying out Zen" - Shanks13
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto 5.0|Multiplayer: Minigames X 4.7|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
WarriorMario
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 04:18 AM EDT (US)     9 / 72       
Here's the editor:

The next thing I jound is that they added a campaign maker, now this could be either a random addition OR the read my post with all those trigger requests where I also asked them to make a utility to create campaigns. So they might have read the whole post.

nottud
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 05:20 AM EDT (US)     10 / 72       
Ok.... so the editor interface is almost identical to the old version. Hopefully porting across should be easy then
AlienSexRanger
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 05:48 AM EDT (US)     11 / 72       
I thought there already was a campaign maker in the original?
WarriorMario
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 06:04 AM EDT (US)     12 / 72       
I checked before posting lol :P

TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 02 May 2014 10:42 AM EDT (US)     13 / 72       
@alien
that was a separate download that was made by a fan I think

Check out my YouTube
LaBonez
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 02:17 PM EDT (US)     14 / 72       
Will there be any new units or godpowers?
WarriorMario
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 02:38 PM EDT (US)     15 / 72       
Played some scenarios, they all seem to work but I did not test all the scenarios of course :P

Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 02 May 2014 05:05 PM EDT (US)     16 / 72       
Meh. I'm really hoping all the triggers work fine in the new one. Are there different directories to put lighting files and images in too?

Dean88
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 05:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 72       
anyone else think that grass looks horrible or just me?

everytime I see something new, it makes me not want to buy this more and more

edit - only just read the top post, can you try a mod like a new unit or something to see if its compatible or is there no way to edit these into it yet?

[This message has been edited by Dean88 (edited 05-02-2014 @ 05:09 PM).]

DragonQ
SC2H Seraph
posted 02 May 2014 05:22 PM EDT (US)     18 / 72       
Some of the ground textures look more or less the same but a few do look a lot different (e.g. Alfheim and Medit) but I imagine you'd get used to them pretty quickly.

The developers are aware of some graphical issues, e.g. HP bars not being visible enough, and will fix those.

There are a lot of bugs though and my worry is it won't be properly ready for the release date. They can improve things with patches of course but how many will play the game immediately, decide it's not good enough, and never come back? Hopefully they'll at least fix the big performance issues before release date or it'll be unplayable.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...

[This message has been edited by DragonQ (edited 05-02-2014 @ 05:23 PM).]

Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 02 May 2014 05:32 PM EDT (US)     19 / 72       
bugs? Man, I hope the same thing that happened to AoE2 doesn't happen here.

DragonQ
SC2H Seraph
posted 02 May 2014 05:42 PM EDT (US)     20 / 72       
Performance is the biggest one. The other annoyance is that none of the existing AoM:TT bugs has been fixed, aside from recs from games with 2+ observers now working. A huge list of the game's bugs, complete with exactly what changes to make to the game's data files to fix them (in most cases), was given to the developers but so far they haven't done anything about them.

[This message has been edited by DragonQ (edited 05-02-2014 @ 05:46 PM).]

Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 02 May 2014 06:47 PM EDT (US)     21 / 72       
Performance, oog. I thought the original already had a slow enough processor. XD As one youtuber put it:
People take it because the series is so loved, and MS abuses that. I should just boycot their shit after what they do to AOE: Online and overcharging practices like this... but I can't, I love age of empires and so do many people, Microsoft abuses that love and continues to rape Ensembles corpse.

DragonQ
SC2H Seraph
posted 02 May 2014 06:56 PM EDT (US)     22 / 72       
You can see the animation stuttering and lag on this stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/blackaddersplays

Notice that the stream is fine (mouse movements etc.), all the lag is part of the game.

The original game only used one core...by the looks of it they haven't really optimised it for modern multicore CPUs but they've also made it worse somehow. Disabling all of the new effects doesn't help either.

Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 02 May 2014 07:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 72       
ohey, I just saw you advance to the classical age. XD Hopefully, the lag can somehow be reduced by the time of release.

nottud
Citizen
posted 02 May 2014 07:55 PM EDT (US)     24 / 72       

My editor ports in smoothly with just a few textures not showing up. (They are changing way a few textures work so won't fix right now). If it looks awful it is because I got graphics turned right down to low as my uni laptop is very low end.

Developers just given me a key for the game to test my stuff on. A few quick questions answered regarding advanced designing which the news is very good!

(1)Transform trigger works
(2)Superpack editor interface works with minor alterations!
(3)y triggers work
(4)z triggers work (To my great surprise!)
(5)Custom random maps including the triggers work
(6)Strange zoom camera limit even in editor - cannot zoom out more than a certain amount (Not directly anyway). Tilting controls work though.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 05-02-2014 @ 08:18 PM).]

scragins
Heretic of December
posted 02 May 2014 09:03 PM EDT (US)     25 / 72       
Well I think most things the rest of us come up with work if none of Nottuds stuff is broken.

Can you have triggers with more than 7 parameters?

[This message has been edited by scragins (edited 05-02-2014 @ 09:04 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames