To sum it up I manage to win the water eventually and the guy gives up.
After I watched the rec however, it appeared to me how imoportant water really is.
Especially on this map, and especially between two eggys?
I'm not sure the guy played all that well, and I didn't play perfect either ofcourse. But after losing all that food income he would have to convert his gold to farms while I was on the way of getting my forward camp up, totally halting his production. He decided to resign, and I can't blame him watching his resources at the time.
Exactly how important is water on Medit between two eggy players. Seems like you can end the game right there, perhaps I'm wrong.
You did pretty well this game, and you are right about water being direly important, but it isn't simply a game ender at all times.
Couple tricks to pick up when playing Medi:
- First, of course, win water.
- Second, do a building spam (ESPECIALLY WITH EGYPTIANS!!) along the sides, which means you continually spam siegeworks, migdols, barracks, AND towers all along the side areas. The more you push forward with buildings the harder time the enemy will have trying to gain the initiative.
- Make a second leviathan and cast A/E on the water, use your sphinx/scorpion/Leviathans on the docks and your ancestor ships on his ships while AQ'ing crush ships.
- Instantly upon hitting heroic you put up a market on an edge corner. AQ caravans from this point until you have about 30.
- Basically always up Osiris.