I just lost an Isis vs. Isis on Oasis game that I should have won EASILY. I need to post the rec, it was a 1520 vs. 1510 battle but good at the very least for comedic value!
I had these advantages:
- All of the free berries, zebras, giraffes and deer were right next to my TC. I didn't have to farm for a long time.
- Several times I raided his gold with about 15 CA and killed at least 10 villies a pop. I don't think he ever killed one single villie of mine the whole game.
- Several times I had a 4 to 2 TC advantage over him.
- At one point when I lost my 4th TC, still ahead 3 to 2, I went back with an army and villies to take the 4th back and he had 12 catapults sitting next to it and 3 migdols. I meteored them hahahaha - destroyed all 12 catapults and it was really easy to take out those nearly-destroyed migdols and re-take the TC.
I believe I ended up losing for the following reasons:
- He building spammed and I didn't. Every time I tried to raid him I had to pass about 4 or 5 Migdols with my CA. I tried to take out his market but he had it well defended. Stupid me was sitting there with over 4000 food, 4000 gold 4000 wood and 60 favor and I only had like 2 migdols and one siege works on the entire map.
- Now that I think about it I don't think I ever cast prosperity (I forget sometimes), and I don't think I made absolutely sure I had popped-out villies. The fact that I was killing his and he wasn't killing mine probably made little difference if he was replenishing his and I wasn't making sure mine were maxed.
- When he made lots of mercs I stupidly stood there and tried to kill them instead of running away and letting him waste 1500+ gold on nothing.
- He was better at focusing on multiple parts of the map than I am. Arguably my single biggest weakness in all my years of playing this game is I get myopic. I just don't have either the mental energy or the focus to constantly be bouncing back and forth, i.e. especially against Attie who will have all of his army but 6 destroyers engaged in an all-out war against my main army, and he'll sneak off those 6 destroyers to go start tearing down buildings elsewhere on the map. I ususally don't even NOTICE them until they've torn down a TC and 4 houses. Anyway, at one point I had taken my 4th TC and was attacking his main base. He had mercs and CA and a few phants defending his base, but he had also snuck a few phants and catapults off to the side to take one of my other TCs. As soon as he took it he started spamming towers and migs around to make sure it STAYED took.
By that point the match had been going on for 45 minutes and I was just too tired to continue.
I gotta give a lot of credit to my opponent for battering down the hatches and never giving up - seriously, 25 minutes into the match I was up 4 TCs to 2 and had killed at LEAST 40 of his villies. It was inconceivable that I was going to lose that game. He just beat me!