Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » AOM Server
Bottom
Topic Subject:AOM Server
Jb91
Mortal
posted 19 December 2019 11:03 AM EDT (US)         
Hey new to this site, kinda. I used to be a member years ago. I have been playing AOM since it came out. I am 28 years old. I work for an IT company and I got my hands on a hp ml350 g5 server. I am wondering how many people still play. I want to turn the server into a dedicated AOM Server. I hope I am not out of line by making this forum. If so I am sorry. I would like to get an idea of how many people would be interested in this. Feel free to comment.
AuthorReplies:
Sword of Scarlet
Mortal
posted 19 December 2019 11:43 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
im confused by what it is you are offering. You mean like a big network where people can play over lan on the titans version of the game? or the extended edition?

Hi
Jb91
Mortal
posted 19 December 2019 12:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
Yes to play extended edition online. I have a good network setup and a pretty decent server. I have played this game for years and cant find anyone online to play with so I thought maybe hosting a server to do it would work. I have a background in server administration. I can open up the ports I need to allow people in. I will be honest I am not sure if Hosting a server for a game that is no longer supported is a bad idea or not. But I have all the hardware to do it. My plan is once I get it setup I will keep it on 24x7 so that anyone can connect. I enjoy the custom maps everyone has put hard work into to create. It would be cool to play those custom maps with people online. Like the good old days! If you have any good pointers or have hosted before using a dedicated server. I am open to any advise I can get.

If I have to use an ip address for people to connect (Like a lan connection) I can do it that way to. I will have to provide the ipaddress when I get it up. I plan on working on this project this weekend

(I also have the Chinese expansion that I could host as well)

[This message has been edited by Jb91 (edited 12-19-2019 @ 12:56 PM).]

WinterGod
Mortal
posted 19 December 2019 03:02 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
I am playing the Extended Edition online all the time on steam. Why do you need a server? The game is still supported.
Jb91
Mortal
posted 19 December 2019 03:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Part of it is I have 7 or so old college friends who have the old extended edition and I have a server sitting in my house I am trying to find something to use it for. Can you play custom maps on the steam version? And do they still have a ranking system like they did in the old days?
WinterGod
Mortal
posted 19 December 2019 04:39 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
Old extended edition? Aom on Steam still has the ranking system, and yes you can use the custom maps on the Steam version. The others will simply get a prompt to download it. You can create a server for the Old Aom I guess, but there are still people using the voobly.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames