You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » AOM EE - Tale of Dragon - popularity review negative
Bottom
Topic Subject:AOM EE - Tale of Dragon - popularity review negative
Solgudguy
Mortal
posted 18 May 2020 01:16 AM EDT (US)         
why Aom Tale of dragon is so underrated in steam? what it is there so bad about the game?
AuthorReplies:
Blueshirt
Mortal
posted 20 May 2020 02:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
The Tale of the Dragon expansion has a good few bugs in it so that is what has led to some of the negative reviews on Steam. It's not completely bad though. I do play the Chinese civilisation on some maps from time to time but they would be my least favourite civilisation in AoM it has to be said.
Solgudguy
Mortal
posted 20 May 2020 05:18 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
the random maps are okay, it's good to play with the new Chinese civilization though, but the scenerio editor is a no go zone, the ai loader files are invalid to say, and animations are good with bloom and hq effects, i rate this 2.5 star, because the scenerio editor is a huge part of the games, the game bugs are massive so it's impossible to make a good scenerio there, normal gameplay is ok, but not better as it was in previous versions

[This message has been edited by Solgudguy (edited 05-26-2020 @ 09:50 AM).]

TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 25 May 2020 01:46 AM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
AI files seem to work for me

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
Solgudguy
Mortal
posted 26 May 2020 09:54 AM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
@TAG - Mea Cvlpa! the AI files seems to work fine at last, my windows security was blocking unauthorized folder access which i've resolved by authorizing the access allowance, now everything is fine. @Blueshirt - how come the Chinese civ is not good? i've found out that the Chinese are the best conquerors in AoM EE along with the Norse

[This message has been edited by Solgudguy (edited 05-26-2020 @ 10:59 AM).]

Blueshirt
Mortal
posted 29 May 2020 04:18 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
@Solgudguy, for me the Chinese civ is the least fun civ to play with in the EE. You might find them good, and you can build a cheap army early on (especially N Wa) but I have found they are usually no match for Greek or Egyptian in long games... plus, the god powers are fairly poor in comparison to other civs. I also think a lot of things look odd with the civ in general.

Admittedly I haven't used the Chinese civ for a long while (probably before 2.4) so they might have improved the civ a bit in the last couple of years, but generally the Chinese just didn't do much for me. It's good that you like them though, life would be boring if we all thought the same thing!
Solgudguy
Mortal
posted 31 May 2020 05:39 AM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
it's ok @Blueshirt, we all do have different tastes, but have anyone thought about that which i've found out wondering in thoughts that this could be some kinda 'Yellow Peril'? what do you guys think about this that most people hate them subconsciously?
ephestion
Mortal
posted 31 May 2020 08:13 AM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
When you build with a villager you see building frames put down and slowly constructing into the final buidling....except for the Chinese they modded the buildings but not the frame for the building.

Some people also are upset that they are so broken and overpowered. They ruined multiplayer games.

Those are some problems it still has.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.
scragins
Heretic of December
posted 31 May 2020 09:59 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
Chinese has also been criticised for several new units using old models just with new textures.

Personally Im a fan of the expansion, especially the new update currently in beta.
Blueshirt
Mortal
posted 31 May 2020 04:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
... but have anyone thought about that which i've found out wondering in thoughts that this could be some kinda 'Yellow Peril'? what do you guys think about this that most people hate them subconsciously?
That's deep! I can't speak for everyone of course but I am from Ireland, I don't think we've ever had any reason to fear Asian people. So for me it's not the 'Yellow Peril' in my subconscious. The reason the Chinese civ is my least favourite civ to play in the AoM:EE is mainly down to comparing them to the original AoM civs and finding them lacking!

[This message has been edited by Blueshirt (edited 05-31-2020 @ 04:34 PM).]

Solgudguy
Mortal
posted 01 June 2020 07:01 AM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
@Blueshirt actually, i didn't mean to direct this to anyone personally, but it's a guess for why they are so underrated, i know that Ireland have a little issue with racism comparing to usa or france, because recently, as you know of the corinavirus, this anti-asian sentiment is growing rapidly, even so violent, pardon my off-topic writing, i just brought up this regarding the Chinese civ, i mean who am i to judge one's likings, it's up to everyone's own, it's ok to not like them in game because comparing the units to the other civs, they are pretty imbalanced, i respect your view and agree with you

[This message has been edited by Solgudguy (edited 06-01-2020 @ 07:04 AM).]

ephestion
Mortal
posted 07 July 2020 09:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
I tend to disagree [edit] that it's about racism [/edit] but you can't speak for everyone I am sure. I know for a fact that the Voobly competitive crowd have been chasing a balanced game for years which hasn't happened. They want to play Random culture and still have a chance of winning with which ever culture they get. But when the Chinese skew the odds so dramatically and the balance team doesn't fix the OP units but instead make silly adjustments, it frustrates people more. Underlying this, of course, are the people who indeed wanted their favorite culture, the one that they are good at, to be top tier level. At one stage I was hoping Poseidon would be viable in games because I like his cavalry line up. But not all of that is racial. As a synopsis I would say most people want a balanced game and AOM is a hard game to balance. Everything about each culture is unique even their statistics. But, some people are just being stupid and want things for obscure racial reasons for sure. For every person like that there are a handful that just follow their lead without out knowing why.

One of the real problems:
So, balancing such a game is a nightmare unless you put in hours of testing and balancing. I have some experience in this area from my AOE Revisited mod and I know it can be hard but you need a plan and a system to test things. The AOM balance team need to redesign their actual testing system and develop a strategic system that better suits the game and gameplay. If you rely on hearsay and feedback alone you start to lose strategic direction and instead pickup on different directions and paths based on recommendations. It is better to watch games (be careful as some are just rigged), play games, test units, test armies, test godpowers in different combination scenarios, Ancestors, Seize-fire, Eclipse combo. The most powerful God Powers also had a fail rate/miss rate (Meteor, Lightening) is that present with the Chinese? Is it fair? Seize fire may seem to have no miss or fail, but in that seize time, how many have lost their forward settlements to the Norse? etc.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde.

[This message has been edited by ephestion (edited 07-07-2020 @ 09:09 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames