You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.71 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » New Expansion for AoMEE is confirmed! Tale of the Dragon.
Bottom
Topic Subject:New Expansion for AoMEE is confirmed! Tale of the Dragon.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
XLightningStormL
Mortal
(id: TheBronyKing11)
posted 18 September 2015 06:18 PM EDT (US)         
(http://www.forgottenempires.net/age-of-mythology-tale-of-the-dragon-announcement)

"13 years. It’s been 13 years since the release of Age of Mythology on PC. And 12 years since the release of its expansion pack: The Titans. But for great games like Age of Mythology, these years are merely a number. It’s time for a new expansion pack! With the collective experience and with expansions for the Age of Empires II series, Age of Mythology almost feels like the next logical step, although next time we probably shouldn’t wait over a decade before taking on the challenge 😉

Many of you already guessed it after the sneaky teaser at E3 and a lot of speculation has been seen across the community boards, but now the word is officially out: Age of Mythology: Tale of the Dragon is being created by Forgotten Empires and SkyBox Labs and will be the next part in the legendary series.

Livestream

We’re not diving into a lot of detail here, but we’ll quench your thirst for more soon on a livestream. So make sure to tune in on www.twitch.tv/ageofempires on October 2nd (exact time will be posted later). See you there!"

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
AuthorReplies:
XLightningStormL
Mortal
posted 24 September 2015 07:18 AM EDT (US)     31 / 71       
Noice, will the Oct. 2 livestream just be a AoMEE multiplayer stream with/without the developers talking about the game, and the expansions (some information of ToTD) or just a RMS/Scenario showcasing the basics of the chinese?

Finally, will the Stream be saved via youtube, or information about the expansion released in a blog post/AoE Facebook etc

Are there plan on re-adding beta units (griffon, apep, hirdman, chariots etc) or at least releasing a library of unused AoM Beta/Alpha content for modders? (please at least answer this question or get one of the skybox devs to)

Will the Chinese be accurate to the AoM timeline? (i.e no Gunpowder units)

Just Curious, other than that there is no real "breaking" questions like how long the campaign will be (unless you confirm that) or other things like Random Maps, "secret" Units, Minor Gods, new techs, campaign story or features.

Might I also suggest if you could ask add a Mythology disabling thing for Random Maps/MP games? for those who want those games without being pestered by MUs or GPs.

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
moonshadow222
Mortal
posted 24 September 2015 12:58 PM EDT (US)     32 / 71       
This sounds awesome. Are you going to have a public beta for this?

Are you going to change some of the imbalances in existing civs?
Cysion
VIP Forgotten Empires
posted 25 September 2015 08:00 AM EDT (US)     33 / 71       
Livestream will be showcasing some of the new stuff while talking about some of the design decisions and answering questions from the viewers (as far as is possible). Stream will be posted to YouTube.

We'll also do devblogs in the same vain we're doing them for the AoE2 expansion.

Beta units: we enabled a few for AoE2, maybe we can do the same for AoM, but if we do, they'll be only available in the scenario editor.

As far as we can be accurate in a fantasy game, I guess we will be :P

We also won't disable mythology, that's not the point of the game

Balance changes will be made to the existing civs.

A public beta: no idea but I doubt there will be.
moonshadow222
Mortal
posted 25 September 2015 03:07 PM EDT (US)     34 / 71       
Great to hear that. Maybe you can barrow some of the balance changes from the fan patch. It had plenty of time for testing

And please fix hatarois, they are practically useless...
ind10s
Mortal
posted 25 September 2015 05:19 PM EDT (US)     35 / 71       
any chance of upgrading/revamping the AI for a better overall behaviour? specialy on water maps as the stock AI is kind of limeted in that regard since it doesnt claim setlements or resourses on otter islands.
XLightningStormL
Mortal
posted 25 September 2015 07:11 PM EDT (US)     36 / 71       
If you guys Do decide to add some beta units here:

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=10853

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3114&ci=0da3182289a725fa35e851883f0d8fa9YToxOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoxNDoiU2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMiO2k6MTtzOjM5OiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP3N0YXJ0PTAmYW1wO3NlYXJjaD1CYWNrIEJldGEiO319

Both of those have beta content added back in the game (the first link has MP.

However it is possible that using those mods "won't be enough" that and they'd have to be converted to be useable in EE.

However if MS/ES Remnants still do have an AoM File Archive or something that has beta/alpha content that would be the best place to go.

Cysion
VIP Forgotten Empires
posted 26 September 2015 03:24 AM EDT (US)     37 / 71       
The AI will have to be upgraded for the Chinese anyways, so there's a chance to give it a rub in other places too. This is still very much work in progress though.
XLightningStormL
Mortal
posted 26 September 2015 09:10 PM EDT (US)     38 / 71       
Will you try to allow the AI to train warships more often?
Allow the AI to build gates? rather than wall themselves in, and get trapped inside?

MrEmjeR
Mortal
(id: EmjeR)
posted 27 September 2015 07:01 AM EDT (US)     39 / 71       
Is this the channel that will be featuring the stream? http://www.twitch.tv/ageofempires/profile

>> www.EmjeR.com <<

Mods - EmjeR's eyecandy pack :: Improved Greeks look :: Ghengis Khan - Mods
Programs - BCTool Attachpoint Editor :: BCTool :: Words - Programs
Games - 0 AD :: Stronhold 2 :: BfME 2 - Games
!! Proud member of WildFire Games !!
CromSmash
Mortal
posted 27 September 2015 09:53 AM EDT (US)     40 / 71       
So glad to hear this is coming....but whatever you do with the balance changes to the exisitng civs', please do not look to the existing fan patch balance changes. They are terrible, and just nerfs to gods due to noobs who cannot understand the difference between balancing and nerfing.

[This message has been edited by CromSmash (edited 09-27-2015 @ 09:54 AM).]

TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 27 September 2015 10:18 AM EDT (US)     41 / 71       
Imo balancing is a very touchy thing. The changes need to be subtle enough that they don't ruin the universe people have grown to be in. If the changes are any more than subtle, they need to be agreed on by a mass of players, as many as you can get. I'm talking about fan patches here.

As far as official patches, I strongly recommend you devise a system where the player has choices about how to use the new civ in both rated and non-rated. Here are some examples:

-The option to disable Chinese in hosted rated matches
-everybody must be Chinese for the game to be rated
-unrated it doesn't matter
-don't include Chinese in rated
-don't include Chinese in rated until everyone is sure its balanced the way it needs to be

You can understand the dilemma you face.

Now, as a company, I get. Things need to be set in stone in some way, even if at first it seems it's not what the people want. Too much room for opinions can be almost maniacal. (Feedback is great, but there is such a thing as too much.) The understanding of the devs comes first, before the player's. But just keep the above things in mind, and maybe we can have the best of both worlds, aka compromise, because for an rts, where things can get really intricate, (and sometimes the job is never done) it might be better long-term. (And less room for opinion-causing changes.)

I hope you get the jyst of what I mean.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 27 September 2015 05:46 PM EDT (US)     42 / 71       
lol balancing only affects me if I have to change my modify protounit effects in my old maps. XD

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
Cysion
VIP Forgotten Empires
posted 28 September 2015 04:08 AM EDT (US)     43 / 71       
Is this the channel that will be featuring the stream? http://www.twitch.tv/ageofempires/profile
Correct =)

Balance is a tricky thing, we're working together with some expert players for this. But regardless it's still a tricky thing and never will 100% of the people agree with 100% of the changes. However, as long as we keep 2 things in mind when balancing we should be good: not changing the feel of a civ and not changing the design of the affected units. Anyways, we'll go more into detail on balancing when the time is right =)
yucko
Mortal
posted 28 September 2015 12:40 PM EDT (US)     44 / 71       
wow!! I never expected this! i'm excited!

New campaign seems great. I'm glad you guys are including some of the storyline used in the previous campaigns.

Balancing seems exciting. I'm sure it wont be game breaking or anything. I hope it spices up the meta game a bit. AoM meta seems set in stone unlike other rts games.

Love your work with the forgotten empires Cysion. I know this extension will be fantastic.

Oh, and please post the stream on youtube for those of us who can't watch it!
Android 000
Mortal
(id: Android GRRR)
posted 28 September 2015 03:15 PM EDT (US)     45 / 71       
Will we get voice acting for the campaign, just like AoE2HD:African Kingdoms?
Coreza123
Mortal
posted 30 September 2015 01:17 AM EDT (US)     46 / 71       
Hello, resubmitting my post in the right location. Looks like coincidentally most of the people here share my thoughts. [Updated]

These thoughts having been:
1) Already plenty of mods for new maps, units, etc.. What I would like to see is a grand continuation of the way too short Titans campaign.
Mostly a new story, but there will be references to the old story. For The Titans expansion, the continuation made sense since the story was all about Atlantis, so when adding the Atlanteans they had a perfect segue. The Chinese will start almost anew.
Referencing the above developer comment I completely disagree about the Chinese lacking the potential for a perfect segue. The Chinese could be a threat to Kastor as he rebuilds Atlantis. Perhaps Kastor decides that Atlantis is too destroyed and heads to China. Of course these are bad ideas, but there is potential.

2) Will the graphics be updated, if not the slightest notch (because this will be a 2015-onward) release. The coolest update would be improved close-up unit portraits. Will there be a new olden/newer-style cinematic at the start? In other words the Titans continued the cinematic of AoM. Will this follow the olden-style theme of continuing said scene.
(Regarding new unit portraits) No, SkyBox isn't going to waste their budget on fancy unit faces for a 13 year old game.
Note, the Chinese Civ will receive new graphics content:
The Chinese will in no way be a copy of the Chinese in AoE3, nor the Greeks in AoM. All models and textures have been newly created for this.
3) Will the game include HeavenGames content? For example, Nottud's editor
No, SkyBox Labs is funded and led by MS, so No nottud's editor, all new textures will be custom made by SkyBox, and extensions such as the Golden Gift are already on AoMEE.
Note:
Likely release of Beta units into the scenario editor. Because the developers included a few of the Beta units in AoE 2 and the process of implementation is straightforward.

4) Will there be new game mechanics?
Yes, although nothing as invasive and game-changing as the Titans.
5) Will the game be balanced with the existing civilizations?
Balance is a tricky thing, we're working together with some expert players for this. But regardless it's still a tricky thing and never will 100% of the people agree with 100% of the changes. However, as long as we keep 2 things in mind when balancing we should be good: not changing the feel of a civ and not changing the design of the affected units. Anyways, we'll go more into detail on balancing when the time is right =)
6) Will the game be released as a retail version, i.e. non-steam.
No. Game will be released as extended edition i.e. on steam.
7) Why the Chinese?
Chinese were considered best-fitting.
8) In continuation of previous poster, if we get voice acting we will get any of the original voice actors? After all I'm sure that all of the voice actors are still present.

But ignoring my rather demanding thoughts, I can't wait for a long-awaited expansion. I personally despised the idea of AoM & AoE Extended Editions which were to me, nothing more than a rehash of the original games. However, now that I can see that the developers are using these profits to create an innovative game I am pleased. Looking forward to seeing what a real expansion for both AoE 2 and AoM: TT will result in. I'm also sure that this will drag in an even large player base than what the extended editions had.

[This message has been edited by Coreza123 (edited 09-30-2015 @ 07:31 PM).]

DragonQ
SC2H Seraph
posted 30 September 2015 11:06 AM EDT (US)     47 / 71       
Interesting.

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.
But you can't take the sky from me...
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 30 September 2015 02:22 PM EDT (US)     48 / 71       
Corez, "Confirmed release of Beta units"?

Nothing was confirmed that I could see.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.

[This message has been edited by CeaseDaFire (edited 09-30-2015 @ 02:23 PM).]

Guard of Osiris
Mortal
posted 30 September 2015 06:48 PM EDT (US)     49 / 71       
Is it compatible with vanilla? I'm not too familiar with AoM:EE but as far as I've understood it's got a vanilla edition

castwcrt rip 2010-2010
Coreza123
Mortal
posted 30 September 2015 06:59 PM EDT (US)     50 / 71       
@Ceasedafire
Beta units: we enabled a few for AoE2, maybe we can do the same for AoM, but if we do, they'll be only available in the scenario editor.
I personally interpreted this statement as:
'We turned the lights on when we entered a room before. Maybe we can turn the lights on again for the next room. But if we do, they'll only be turned on in a room with lights'

i.e. They have no reason not to add the beta units into the next room i.e. game as there is the potential to do so. Also I without a doubt can't see a single reason why they wouldn't be released in the scenario editor. Regardless I have edited my post to say 'Likely inclusion'.

[This message has been edited by Coreza123 (edited 09-30-2015 @ 07:18 PM).]

Eurotool
Hero
posted 30 September 2015 07:44 PM EDT (US)     51 / 71       
@GoO: AoM:EE is not quite compatible with the original version. Players can't play multiplayer accross versions, and although all AoM scenarios are playable on EE (with some bugs for highly detailed scenarios, here and there), the ones made on EE aren't playable on the real version.

TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 30 September 2015 08:20 PM EDT (US)     52 / 71       
I know this is extremely off topic but I have to since I have you here.

Is there any chance AoE 2 could get an autoqueue button? The lack of an autoqueue button is literally what's preventing me from really diving into AoE 2 again at this point, after getting so used to it in AoM. At least maybe an option in a hosted game? Please consider it, I think alot of people would like it, and it would be brand new to them.

Check out my YouTube
XLightningStormL
Mortal
posted 02 October 2015 03:55 PM EDT (US)     53 / 71       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sopqaboho&feature=youtu.be

Here's the stream kids, on YT

Cysion
VIP Forgotten Empires
posted 02 October 2015 08:04 PM EDT (US)     54 / 71       
Is there any chance AoE 2 could get an autoqueue button? The lack of an autoqueue button is literally what's preventing me from really diving into AoE 2 again at this point, after getting so used to it in AoM. At least maybe an option in a hosted game? Please consider it, I think alot of people would like it, and it would be brand new to them.
We have no plans to introduce AQ into Age2. However, we added multiqueue to the game, which means that you can select multiple buildings to create units. Definitely handier in late-game than clicking each building separately.
Aoe_1337
Mortal
posted 02 October 2015 11:37 PM EDT (US)     55 / 71       
Can already tell that there will be some big balance issues with this expansion.
Terracotta solider base stats by the looks of it, 200 hp, 11 damage, 40 and 40 armor.
"They can be made in the second age, and that means you can make alot of them, and they are quite cheap as well"
So unless they cost alot of population, then they will **** everyone up.
XLightningStormL
Mortal
posted 03 October 2015 00:52 AM EDT (US)     56 / 71       
It's possible Terracotta Soldiers are one of those the stats go up 25%/15% each age

so 50 HP, 10 hack and pierce and knowing how weak the attack is, it's possible it could stay like that in the entire game.

Ryder25
Mortal
(id: tasev)
posted 03 October 2015 01:38 AM EDT (US)     57 / 71       
This is still in development, so there's no reason to be nitpicking about balance issues just yet. Most things probably haven't been balanced yet.
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 04 October 2015 07:28 AM EDT (US)     58 / 71       
Bring the original AoE to Steam, team Forgotten. Pretty please.

billy X
Mortal
posted 04 October 2015 02:09 PM EDT (US)     59 / 71       
If they don't have COMPLETELY new powers then I will continue to gladly play on Voobly Original... in the stream video they did it looks like they had the LURE power... hopefully that was just a campaign mode thing... because it looks like they dumped in Age of Empires units and just added 1 new power... which would be really lame...

Want to use the Editor with a modern resolution?
uitriggereditor.xml widescreen fix
Longhorns95
Mortal
posted 04 October 2015 03:24 PM EDT (US)     60 / 71       
The new powers are still in development. Because of the limited budget, they tend to create new contents base on the pre-made animations and objects. What you think is "Lure" power is definitely a new power, of Fuxi specifically, they just haven't finish it yet.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames