You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.16 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » The Best Map
Bottom
Topic Subject:The Best Map
TAG
That AoM Guy
(id: aom expert)
posted 21 August 2019 02:23 PM EDT (US)         
Hey gang,

This is a Hurt/Heal game, and if you haven't played it before, all you need to do is tell me which maps you want to give positive or negative points to (good or bad).

You can only hurt/heal up to 5 maps at a time, adding or subtracting up to 3 points each, however the total amount of points you're either adding or subtracting cannot exceed 8. You can post your negative and positives in the same post, like this:

-3 Islands
+1 Erebus
+1 Deep Jungle
-1 Marsh
+2 Savannah

You are only allowed to post again after 2 other people have posted theirs after you. Feel free to persuade others to change their mind.

Maps are eliminated at -10. The game keeps going until we are either left with one map, a map has obviously won because of a huge number, or the thread becomes inactive.

The tally:

Acropolis: 2
Alfheim: 14
Anatolia: 1
Archipelago: 0
Basin: 3
Black Sea: 0
Deep Jungle: 0
Erebus: 1
Ghost Lake: 4
Highland: 1
Islands: 0
Jotunheim: 1
King of the Hill: -2
Land Unknown: 3
Marsh: -6
Mediterranean: 2
Megalopolis: 1
Midgard: 0
Nomad: 1
Oasis: 2
Old Atlantis: 1
Open Fields: 0
Regicide: 0
River Nile: 4
River Styx: 1
Savannah: 5
Sea of Worms: 3
Silk Road: 0
Sudden Death: 1
Team Migration: 0
The Unknown: 2
Tundra: 7
Valley of Kings: 2
Vinlandsaga: 0
Watering Hole: -8
Yellow River: 0

You can still go negative even if it's at 0.

We will be using every single official map including the ones in Tale of the Dragon.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 10-06-2019 @ 02:35 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Legendary Raider
Mortal
(id: avaget)
posted 21 August 2019 02:42 PM EDT (US)     1 / 16       
anatolia: +1
ghost lake: +3
midgard: +2
oasis: +1
savannah: +1

ghostlake is the map with the most variation among the random land maps bearing in mind how different the hunt can be, goats/lake layout and most of all - 1 or 2 gold in base, completely changing the strategy

midgard I would put above anatolia because shooting docks on anatolia slowing everything down, both great semi-water maps with an abundance of strategies

and of course oasis and savannah, great classics with a lot of variance to them: oasis being different forest configurations and goat focus
and savannah having the massive variety in hunt; could be the most huntable map and could be one of the least
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 21 August 2019 03:13 PM EDT (US)     2 / 16       
alfheim: +3
river styx: -1
savannah: +1
tundra: +2
watering hole: -1

Alfheim is my favorite. Natural barriers for easy walls, a nice arrary of relics, easy wood, not too many animals that attack you, and the map size isn't too big for team games. Even the lighting is nice too.

River Styx is basically Team Migration without fish. Lame. Water, no fish.

Savannah is very open and nice looking. Another smaller map compared to some, which I like. Easy hunting and straight foward gameplay.

Tundra is my second favorite. Good all around for any gods, and I believe also has the most hunt on it out of all the maps, which makes it a good, easy map for beginners.

Watering Hole is a pain in the a** to scout, and in team games someone always gets locked in a pocket of water far away from their teammates. Hunt is the most annoying. If you're not getting attacked by a pack of lions, you're hunting small animals that like to run away quick.

Check out my YouTube
For live help with me, enter this chatroom. If I'm not on you can leave a message.
WinterGod
Mortal
posted 21 August 2019 03:52 PM EDT (US)     3 / 16       

Sea of Worms -8

Really hate this map, lol.
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 21 August 2019 07:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 16       
Sorry WinterGod, no can do. There's a limit of 3. If you want I can make it -3 instead?

Check out my YouTube

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-22-2019 @ 05:04 PM).]

XLightningStormL
Mortal
(id: TheBronyKing11)
posted 22 August 2019 01:34 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16       
Acropolis +3
Mediterranean +3

Lead Designer and Producer of Age of Mythology's biggest mod compilation: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=11038
Legendary Raider
Mortal
posted 22 August 2019 09:27 AM EDT (US)     6 / 16       
alfheim: -3
river styx: +3
marsh: +2

stupid lighting, stupid cliffs which only slow the game down - these are the attributes of alfheim

river styx is a unique map because you have a non-boosted land eco yet still there is water

marsh has a massive amounts of hunt and close goldmines and is the easiest land map to play
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 22 August 2019 04:59 PM EDT (US)     7 / 16       
alfheim: +3
tundra: +3
midgard: -2

midgard is an annoying water map. crappy hunt/berries in general, especially when trying to start. takes too long to get to opponents side from water. forced to walk a long distance to build docks closer which are quite necessary.

Check out my YouTube

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-22-2019 @ 05:03 PM).]

Out Reach
Mortal
(id: newreach268)
posted 25 August 2019 01:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 16       
River Nile: +3
Valley of Kings: +2
Mediterranean: -3

Personally my idea of a good map is one which provides strategic decision making which differentiates it from other maps in the decisions and strategies you need to employ on it, and the tactical options available.

River Nile fits that bill really well, especially once you move beyond a simple "Whoever wins water wins" meta. Rushing is difficult, but if you're able to bridge the river without your opponent realizing you'll often be rushing a completely undefended base as the enemy has committed to water.

Alternatively purposely skipping water control and booming can leave you in a position to win via a very defensive wonder if you can fight off any attempts by your opponent to land on the other side. Again they'll have pop committed to navy which you can just ignore.

Or hey just go Oranos, get a free water myth unit every age, win water hard and then abuse sky passages and vortex for map control.

Valley of kings is again a map which is providing different strategic choices you don't make on other maps. Attack the enemy, or attack the strongholds to gain access to more gold?

Mediterranean is my least favorite map. The map normally comes down to one choice: do you go clockwise or anti-clockwise? Also the land mass is so thin you will run into ANY enemy you come across. (you never pass the enemy army in the FoW) Map very readily descends into an organ grinder where players throw armies at one another until one players macro game falters and they can't keep up. Which in general means they were the player unlucky with map generation and got less accessible gold mines.

Out Reach
The guy who writes the erotic fan fiction in Yeebaagoon's signature
Sword of Scarlet
Mortal
posted 25 August 2019 08:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 16       
watering hole -3
marsh -2
savannah +3

Hi
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 25 August 2019 10:23 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16       
Erebus +3
Ghost Lake -1
Megalopolis +1
Jotunheim +1
King of the Hill -2

Always had a special place in my heart for Erebus. You see the place so much in the campaign. In my opinion should have been in the random map pool, minus the shades and snakes.

Ghost lake is basically Mediterranean without the water. Just as annoying to traverse.

Megalopolis is neat with your teammates close to you. Nice open area for engagements. Basically a better version of Valley of Kings imo.

Jotunheim is only good if you're not playing with noobs.

King of the Hill seems unbalanced as I don't think the player who owns the hill should get resources from it. No resource reward at all could be an option, but if that's too much of an extreme then maybe less all around or a shorter win timer.

Check out my YouTube

[This message has been edited by TAG (edited 08-26-2019 @ 07:43 AM).]

Legendary Raider
Mortal
posted 26 August 2019 04:40 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16       
Highland: +1
Land unknown: +3
The unknown: +2
Nomad: +1
Old atlantis +1

I like the unusual maps.. what can I say, I'm a simple guy

Land unknown could have 4 town centers per player, have literally only goats and no hunt at all or only 2 gold mines per player total - maybe even all at the same time, very freaky map and I like it for that

The unknown I like because it generally has more water but not as random as land unknown

Old Atlantis is an interesting map with puddles of water with fish everywhere and islands on the outskirts, one of the only reasons to owning the China expansion (or editing the map to work on non-Chinese game)
Tonialb
Mortal
posted 07 September 2019 03:48 PM EDT (US)     12 / 16       
Marsh -3
Erebus -2
Alfheim +3
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 09 September 2019 07:17 PM EDT (US)     13 / 16       
Alfheim +3
Marsh -3
Watering Hole -2

Check out my YouTube
Legendary Raider
Mortal
posted 09 September 2019 07:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16       
Basin: +3
Mediterranean: +2
River Nile: +1
Sea of Worms: +1
Sudden Death: +1

Basin is a pretty cool map: a land map basically, but with a boosted water eco and the ability for your home tc to be targeted from water by oxy ships

Sea of worms is a nice map, nothing quite like it - can do an even earlier heroic because no need to gather resources for a fort, it's there from the start
Izalith
Mortal
(id: Lilitu)
posted 13 September 2019 01:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 16       
Alfheim +2
Tundra +2
Ghostlake +2
Sea of Worms +2

Azarath Metrion Zinthos

Steam: Order of Azarath
Twitch: twitch.tv/orderofazarath
Discord: Azarath @ https://discord.gg/3ENKJeb
TAG
That AoM Guy
posted 06 October 2019 02:31 PM EDT (US)     16 / 16       
Acropolis -1
Alfheim +3
Oasis +1
River Styx -1
Watering Hole -2

Check out my YouTube
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames