You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Strategy and General Discussion
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.31 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Strategy and General Discussion » How to use music in custom scenario?
Bottom
Topic Subject:How to use music in custom scenario?
Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 24 July 2020 08:18 PM EDT (US)         
i see there are effects for: Music filename, set current music set an etc. what do they do?

i have the cd version now. the gold edition.

i found golden gift campaign. it has the titans. i am actually working on a hobbit campaign. still learning the cinematic feature thingy.

[This message has been edited by Doomguy117 (edited 07-24-2020 @ 08:25 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Roxas
Mortal
(id: silvermoon)
posted 25 July 2020 12:16 PM EDT (US)     1 / 31       
Music Filename plays the file on the music layer

set current music set is used to choose the music playlist start for the in-game music from the default tracks.

It is complimented with Music Mood (which lets you choose the normal (0) and quiet (1) variants. )

It's controlled by playlist.xml which lives in the sound/sounds2.bar in the original game (and i assume the same for the EE version?)

||||||||||||||||My Videos||||||||||||||||
Roxas, his heart was human, yet because of his status as a being his fate was sealed since he was born. How many times must humanity judge others like that as well without giving them a fair chance?

"It would be very irresponsible of me to give you my thoughts as you are clearly incapable of handling the ones you already have" ~some guy in OD

Prologue: version 0.9.8.1: www.trotd.co.nr

[This message has been edited by Roxas (edited 07-25-2020 @ 12:18 PM).]

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 25 July 2020 07:25 PM EDT (US)     2 / 31       
So Roxas.

for choosing music filename? im assuming it has to be spelled correctly for it to work?

i also saw it lets you browse the files? do i need type it in everytime or no?

for music mood. so sound slike i can just select numbers 1-100 i guess is the highest?

set current music set. what do i choose for there?

as for the playlist. im not sure. i don't use EE. im assuming yes it does.
Roxas
Mortal
posted 26 July 2020 09:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 31       
So music filename is to specify a specific file (either internal or your own. You can use the file selection dialog box to choose the file)

Music Mood is either 0 for normal music, and 1 for quiet music. This is defined in the playlist.xml located in the sounds.bar file. This trigger only works for music that came with the game (since there are two music tracks for each song).

Set Current Music Set essentially tells the game what track to start playing with from the original music. I think 1-4 are culture specific and then 8-12 are the other songs.

If you just want to use the music that came with the game, you should just have a trigger that sets the current music set (to choose your starting song), set your music mood in the same trigger (0 or 1), and then use Music play effect.

Roxas, his heart was human, yet because of his status as a being his fate was sealed since he was born. How many times must humanity judge others like that as well without giving them a fair chance?

"It would be very irresponsible of me to give you my thoughts as you are clearly incapable of handling the ones you already have" ~some guy in OD

nottud
Hero
posted 26 July 2020 10:43 AM EDT (US)     4 / 31       
I tend to use the Play Dialog trigger and use the fire event parameter to fire the next song in the track list. The reason I use play dialog as opposed to one of the other sound playing triggers is you can interrupt it with another play dialog say for battle music as part of an event and it will stop the current song playing. The ignore event on abort can be used to prevent the next item in the playlist from playing when interrupted.
Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 26 July 2020 01:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 31       
cool thanks roxas. that helps. just to make sure Roxas.

the steps i use are:

Set current music set
music mood
then music play effect?

so nottud.

play dialogue counts for music in cinematics as well?

So i don't use fireevent for Skybox? or ccamera track? just music? or do i create a second firevent effect for music only?

im assuming i need a seperate trigger for music then?
nottud
Hero
posted 27 July 2020 07:44 AM EDT (US)     6 / 31       
Play dialog has an option to fire a trigger when the sound completes.
Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 27 July 2020 06:35 PM EDT (US)     7 / 31       
so nottud.

when using play dialogue. i can use that as for the music instead of music filename, music mood, set current music set an music play?

[This message has been edited by Doomguy117 (edited 07-27-2020 @ 06:35 PM).]

Roxas
Mortal
posted 27 July 2020 06:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 31       
Exactly.

The other triggers (music set ,and music mood) were primarily used by ES to play the music that shipped with the game.

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 27 July 2020 08:41 PM EDT (US)     9 / 31       
so sounds like i don't need to worry too much on music set an music mood then sicnce the mainfeatures for music would be play dialogue an music filename?

Also, How do i have the characters in conversations? one character speaking another? also, how do i move characters to a certain point in cinematic mode? what do i do on that?

[This message has been edited by Doomguy117 (edited 07-27-2020 @ 09:17 PM).]

Roxas
Mortal
posted 28 July 2020 08:27 AM EDT (US)     10 / 31       
In cinematic mode, characters speaking is controlled by the play dialog effect. If you don’t have any sounds playing in that effect then you’ll need to have some way of determining when the dialog is done (probably via a timer) on the next dialog etc. (Or via animation length)

To move Characters, you can either Move unit effects, or create units purely for the cinematic (then estroy them afterwards). There are lots of ways to do this - use can use army deploy, unit create, or change unit type and change from a cinematic block to the unit in question)

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 28 July 2020 05:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 31       
I see. so play dialogue is a better use than sound filename. was doing sound filename. didn't realize play dialogue does that. opps.

now i know what to do. sounds like play dialogue is a better use.

so i guess all i need is play dialogue then. should every characters have its own trigger?

so for moving units. for the play dialogue effect. do i need to puta rmy move or army deplot to move to certain spot to speak to another character?

for instint: Bilbo_Baggins: active, run immediately.
conditions: Timer.
effects: Play dialogue an amry deploy or any othe rmove units to a spot to speak to like gandalf?

i have create dthe bilbo house. i have bilbo in the house or fron the hosue then gandalf shows up front of him.
Roxas
Mortal
posted 30 July 2020 11:03 AM EDT (US)     12 / 31       
So there are a few ways you could do it.

The easiest way would have the army deploy, and then a move to unit or position effect in the same trigger (though you may want to deploy the army first in case the move army effect doesnt fire). If you want dialog to play then put it in the trigger, and then have a fire event to another trigger that has a condition of a timer or distance to unit, and then the effect would be the next bit of dialog

So maybe something like this (although there are beetter more efficient ways - this is just an example as a basic template):

Trigger 1:
Effect: Cinemtic Mode On
Effect: Fade out All Sounds:
Effect Army Deploy: E.g Gandalf
Effect: Fire Event Trigger 2

Trigger 2:
Effect: Army Move to Unit
Effect Play Dialog
Effect: Fire Event

Trigger 3:
Condition: Army Distance to Unit
(Army Gandalf, Distance to Unit Bilbo) < 5
Effect: Play Dialog
Fire Event: etc etcv

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 30 July 2020 01:38 PM EDT (US)     13 / 31       
so each trigger has to have its own fire event for it to work?

so for names of triggers. what they should be name?

what other ways there beside that one?

so for one trigger. i need cinematic mode on then. when finish cinematic mode off?

for cinematic mode on trigger. i need a few other triggers like army move to unit, Fade out all sounds, play diagloue, skybox, render fog/black map, setobscrued units?
Roxas
Mortal
posted 30 July 2020 01:56 PM EDT (US)     14 / 31       
Cinematic Guide Link

Yes so you'd normally have your cinematic mode on trigger, with various things happening to set up the cine mode, then firing off to your first cinematic trigger.

Other ways include using camera tracks, which can then chain the next trigger after they've finished, rather than using fire events. The same with play dialog (but you ahve to use a sound file)

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 30 July 2020 03:04 PM EDT (US)     15 / 31       
i tried the following the link. alot to follow.

for camera tracks. i can select fire event for a specfic trigger where it start the cinematic of what scene you do?

what about camera cuts?

for triggers with sound an music. i need play dialogue, sound filename an etc?
Roxas
Mortal
posted 30 July 2020 03:18 PM EDT (US)     16 / 31       
So camera cuts just set the camera to what ever you want.

Camera tracks, you can do in two ways. Once you've recorded your camera track you need to run a trigger (Trigger A) that has that camera track as its effect.

Then you have two choices (assuming that the next trigger is to take place after your camera track).

You can either
a)have a fire event going to from trigger A to trigger B that contains your next effect with a timer condition on Trigger B (with the timer matching the camera track length - give or take a second)
b) The camera track effect has a built in trigger command in it. You can use that to automatically fire the next trigger after teh camera track has finished running (Trigger B however would not have a timer (or have a very short timer))

So for dialog, if the dialog is voiced (i.e. its a sound file), then you can specify the sound file in that effect, along with entering your text. Similar to the camera track effect, it can play a sound and then automatically fire the next trigger (if specified) when the sound is over. If there is no sound specified, then you will need some way to call the next trigger (probably via a fire event), but you can pair camera track and play dialog together in the same trigger.

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 30 July 2020 04:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 31       
im assuming camera cuts are important?

i can put the camera cut at any angle of the camera? im assuming i do that before using camera track?

i put that with cinematic mode on right?

so it would be: Cinematic mode on: then camer a cut, then camera attack, then fire event? for the first trigger? so first trigger would be timer for condition.

then second trigger would be

play dialogue, then sound filename, then fire event, camera track?

what would condition trigegr b an c?

would icon portaits be icon/ bilbo icon 64? would all of them be 64?

i want to make sure im doing this correctly.

[This message has been edited by Doomguy117 (edited 07-30-2020 @ 06:42 PM).]

Roxas
Mortal
posted 31 July 2020 07:47 AM EDT (US)     18 / 31       
Yes camera cuts set the position Of the camera., and you can and should use it in your cinematic, (before and after tracks or even in place of)

Yes, with cinematic mode on. You can do it out of cinematic mode but that would be jarring for the player, unless you want to specifically highlight something during game play.

If you’re using fire event, then the conditions would probably be a timer or a distance check (or both)

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 31 July 2020 03:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 31       
so for camera cuts. im assuming i can put that at anytime? i already setup my track on viewing the shire an onto the bilbo house. its 60 secs.

since camera cuts do that. im guessing for the trigger, it would be: Cinematic mode on, camera cut an then camera track. then fire event an skybox?

what does distant check do?

im assuming for portraits of characters all of icons would 64?
Roxas
Mortal
posted 31 July 2020 03:59 PM EDT (US)     20 / 31       
The distance check waqs an example if you were wanting to check if gandalf had arrived at the designated spot outside bilbos house. Of course if you've got a camera track you can just use that (or a timer) to trigger the next event.

It's up to you on how and when you use camera cut. After the fade out, i tend to cut to the location to where i know the camera track is going to start, then have the fade in start with the camera track (but it's your preference).

I think all the icons are 64 but i can't guaratee it.
The icon list can be found here: http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1977

You could even set the skybox as soon as you go into cinematic mode if youw wanted.

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 31 July 2020 04:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 31       
thank you for the list. i didn't realzie there wa sone. couldn't find a list orthe way to findout.

so for fade out. i guess do that for a few secs? then at then fade in?

so sounds like the effects can go in any order they want to be place in.

so for mine.

i guess i do:
Active
Run immediately
conditions: Timer
Effects: Cinematic mode on, camera cuts, camera track, fire event, Render skybox "skyblue", then render fog/black map off an then setobscured units off.

then second trigger would be:
active
run immediately
conditions: distant check
Effects: army move, play dialogue an sound filename?

[This message has been edited by Doomguy117 (edited 07-31-2020 @ 04:50 PM).]

Roxas
Mortal
posted 31 July 2020 06:50 PM EDT (US)     22 / 31       
I’d probably have the camera track run slightly after the cinematic mode comes on.

You’d probably want something like:

Effect
Fade to colour on (2000ms)
Fire event trigger b

Trigger B
Cinematic mode on
Fade out all sounds
Block all ambient sounds
Set skybox
Render fog/black map
Fire event trigger C

Trigger C
Condition: 500ms
Effect: camera track 1
Fire event trigger D

Trigger D
Condition:timer or distant to unit of whatever
Effect: whatever

Make sure that triggers that are activated by fire event aren’t set to active, otherwise they’ll fire when as soon as their condition is met, rather then after the trigger that fires them.

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 31 July 2020 07:54 PM EDT (US)     23 / 31       
i can defiantly use that for sure.

i check the list of icons. looks like they are all 64. all of them.

as for other triggers. do i use them for play dialogue only?
Roxas
Mortal
posted 31 July 2020 10:50 PM EDT (US)     24 / 31       
You can use them for lots of things. Play dialog, or camera tracks or cue, create special effects etc.

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 01 August 2020 12:19 PM EDT (US)     25 / 31       
cool since these triggers will be used.

i guess i use the other triggers for play dialogue.

when using play dialogue. it can be by itself?

for condition it should be timer?

when you have names for triggers like Balen an bilbo. does it matter its caled? cause i want to make sure to have bilbo speak before balen does.

[This message has been edited by Doomguy117 (edited 08-01-2020 @ 12:22 PM).]

Roxas
Mortal
posted 01 August 2020 02:16 PM EDT (US)     26 / 31       
The trigger name is not shown when you run the game, so it makes sense to name your triggers logically - that way when you use fire evemt it will be easy to remember which one it is in the list. In the example below, the cinematic triggers are called cine_01 (for 1st cinematic) then a number representing the stage of the cinematic 01, 02 etc, and then the character that is the focus of the dialog. You dont have to do that of course, but it makes it easy to find when something is breaking if you know exactly which trigger caused it.

Play dialog can be by itself, but if you just fire to a play dialog and nothing else, then the dialog will display and then nothing else will happens. So you need to make sure that your cinematic flow doesn't end up like that!

If you want bilbo to speak before balen then you would do something like:

Trigger -Cinematic Mode on (or w.e)
Conditions: blah blah blah
Effect; Cine mode on
etc
et
etc
Fire evennt cine_01_01_bilbo

Trigger cine_01_01_bilbo
condition: timer 1s:
effect: play dialog
text - Bilbo: Good Morning
fire event cine_01_02_balen

Trigger cine_01_02_balen
Conditions: 5s (or whatever)
Effect - Play dialog
text: Balen: Good Morning Young Hobbit
fire event cine_01_03_bilbo

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 01 August 2020 06:21 PM EDT (US)     27 / 31       
cool. awesome. thank you.

for adding special effects if needed. what effect would that be?
Roxas
Mortal
posted 01 August 2020 09:04 PM EDT (US)     28 / 31       
For example curse sfx, or osiris box glow etc

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 02 August 2020 06:41 AM EDT (US)     29 / 31       
Cool. What about creating custom heroes? Like if i were azog?

like how do i create portaits an characters being made?

[This message has been edited by Doomguy117 (edited 08-02-2020 @ 11:34 AM).]

Roxas
Mortal
posted 02 August 2020 11:34 AM EDT (US)     30 / 31       
I think you'd have to modify an existing hero but you're best bet is to ask in the modding forum

Doomguy117
Mortal
posted 02 August 2020 12:09 PM EDT (US)     31 / 31       
cool. when i finish the cinematic. i post it her ein this topic an i see what you think once i get everything done. i have to use google drive. unless there is a upload file for forums?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames