You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.21 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Lament for the Jotnar - scenario & modpack - RELEASED
Bottom
Topic Subject:Lament for the Jotnar - scenario & modpack - RELEASED
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 27 July 2014 04:04 AM EDT (US)         

Lament for the Jotnar
A scenario by Shrink and Archaeopterix

This is a single player scenario which should take over 2 hours to play through. There is a particular emphasis on atmosphere and exploration with a lot of exposition only implied through the environment.

It includes a number of small mods to the game which are necessary to play but which make playing other scenarios or online impossible - remember to uninstall them before doing so.

This has been optimized for Age of Mythology: The Titans: Extended Edition available through Steam. Though everything should work fine in ordinary AOM:TT, I know some units display differently. For example, snow drifts are invisible in the extended edition, and I know there are a number placed around the map which now can't be found so they might be incongruously placed.

Summary
Jotunheim has unleashed jotnar across the world where they terrorise the humans and dwarves, destroying cities and killing thousands. On a cold and wintry archipelago five once-warlike nations now cower behind city walls. Those who brave the wilderness to tend to farms or mines don't return to their homes - they are taken, eaten, killed.

The people pray to their gods. Sprigs of Yggdrasil are found on the archipelago and human sacrifices hang from every bough, but until now no one answered.

Odin, the All-Father, the Hanged-One, finally listens. He sends one of his valkyries, Reginleif, down to the islands to challenge and defeat the jotnar, so the surviving peoples may return to normal life: mining, building, growing and living - and most importantly of all, warring: all nations in perpetual conflict. For Odin favours none so strongly as the warriors who do battle.

Refinleif's three forms
With a single button on the UI, to the right of the resources and left of the unit portrait, Reginleif can instantly switch between three combat forms.

Melee

Click the spearhead button to use powerful spear strikes which do hack damage.

Mounted

Click the horsehead button to mount your horse and do hack damage. However, the damage isn't a strong as when in the melee form.

Ranged

Click the three-arrowhead button to use thrown javelins which do pierce damage. Reginleif has a cooldown special attack where she throws three javelins.

Screenshots

See the full screenshot album here.

For the extended showcase detailing more gameplay features visit www.shrinkone.com.

Download

You can either download through the AOMH Downloads section here, or visit the Steam Workshop page here.

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 07-27-2014 @ 04:06 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Yeebaagooon
EXCO Emeritus
posted 27 July 2014 04:58 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21       
Taunt: 9 oooh.mp3

Both of you are back then ?
This looks like a really clever well designed scenario. Love the touch of the mods to bring the map to life. Eyecandy looks amazing.

Will certainly be giving this a try soon!

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"I saw the picture and became immediately worried about Yeeb seducing and buying out Zen" - Shanks13
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto 5.0|Multiplayer: Minigames X 4.7|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 27 July 2014 05:14 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21       
With the re-release on steam, it was too hard to resist the editor ...

And thanks, hope you enjoy it!

Zenophobia
Irrational Fear
posted 27 July 2014 07:08 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21       
Ooh, awesome stuff from returning oldies! Story reminds me of Attack on Titan, but after looking up jotnar, I see they've been around for a lot longer. XD

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
Milkman Matty
Mortal
(id: Khan And Steak)
posted 27 July 2014 11:03 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21       
Looks pretty good. Unfortunately I won't play it due to the mod requirements but the screenies looks very well done (as to be expected from such established designers).

Also the snow drifts aren't completely invisible, just very transparent. I made a post about it in the question thread I wonder if I can find it again ~ Milky

<||=================================||>
Proud Member of Forgotten Empires
96Reviews KaS Dota2 Halo 5 Reach
{ "Work until your idols become your rivals" }
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ trGetUnitScenarioName(); ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

[This message has been edited by Milkman Matty (edited 07-27-2014 @ 11:07 AM).]

EpicWarrior202
Mortal
posted 27 July 2014 01:54 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21       
*downloads*
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 27 July 2014 02:34 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21       
Looks pretty good. Unfortunately I won't play it due to the mod requirements
Fair enough. However, (and this is aimed at all such hesitant yet interested readers!) if the reason is the hassle of installing and uninstalling mods, then I highly recommend subscribing using the Steam Workshop instead of downloading via AOMH. One of the best features of the extended edition is the ease with which you disable and enable mods, all the while preserving the original files in the original locations. When I submitted this file it was just one-click in the in-game mod manager to disable my mod so I could play some other stuff.
Also the snow drifts aren't completely invisible, just very transparent.
Yes, this is true. When you place loads all in the same location you can achieve a sort of misty effect over nearby buildings which can look quite nice.

Lewonas
Mortal
posted 28 July 2014 04:16 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21       
Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but those Melee/Ranged/Mounted buttons don't appear for me (the new units do appear.. everything seems to work except for the buttons). I tried disabling and reloading all my assets, but to no avail.

Does it perhaps have something to do with the screen resolution or other in-game settings? I also noticed there was no music in the scenario. Is this correct?

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
WarriorMario
Mortal
posted 28 July 2014 04:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21       
Probs uses the Techtree... AoMEE workshop ignores that file. Just install it manually and backup your old Techtree.

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 28 July 2014 04:46 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21       
No it shouldn't have anything to do with screen resolution. The button to transform is no different to the button to change a villager to an ulfsark, or the button to change an atlantean unit to a hero.

The unittransform.xml file is what allows the transformation button to appear - it should be in the data folder.

There is music in the scenario but it's used sparingly. There's always the sound of wind howling and music only pops in at specific instances so you might not have noticed it depending on how much you've played.

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 07-28-2014 @ 04:52 PM).]

WarriorMario
Mortal
posted 28 July 2014 04:56 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21       
Oh perhaps all data files except the Proto files are ignored by the workshop.

We cannot rely on luck to be successful.
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 28 July 2014 05:05 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21       
Yes after some testing that's what it looks like. Which is pretty frustrating because it makes installing and uninstalling the scenario that little bit harder and rather undermines my point about the excellence of the extended edition's mod manager .

Anyway, unfortunately what you need to do is copy the unittransform.xml file from the folder
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Age of Mythology\mods\Lament for the Jotnar\Data
over to the folder found:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Age of Mythology\data

It's not a big move despite the long file path, it is just a little bit frustrating. I would backup the preexisting unittransform.xml file in the age of mythology\data folder so you can easily uninstall the mod. If you don't back it up, you can still easy disable it through the mod manager and then 'verify game cache' by right-clicking the game on steam, going to properties, then going to the local files tab.
Failing all of that I have also included a backup of the original file in the AOMH download.

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 07-28-2014 @ 05:15 PM).]

Alex
(VIP) Reverie World Studios
(id: pEpsIdUDe_123)
posted 28 July 2014 05:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21       
Looks awesome, Arch and Shrink. Cool site too!

Zaphragor
Mortal
(id: Coca_Cola93)
posted 29 July 2014 10:31 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21       
Looks good!

...although I haven't figured out how to add new units/modpacks to the EE.. someone?

Anyway. Awesome scenario!

Uruk-Hai, Skeleton Warriors, Green horde, Khorne Berserker, Dwarfs
Attention!>Wrong english grammar are special effects and wanted from my keyboard<Attention!

The more there is to hide, the more there's to uncover.
So welcome to the other side.
This trip here is hell...
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 29 July 2014 10:56 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21       
If you're subscribing using Steam, boot up AOM, click on the square steam icon in the main menu, and ensure the mod is activated. Then make the adjustment detailed in my most recent post.

If you're not subscribing through steam and have downloaded from AOMH, just follow the readme the same as the non-EE version. Basically just putting the modded files in the data/anim/etc folders.

Zaphragor
Mortal
(id: Coca_Cola93)
posted 30 July 2014 11:34 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21       
naah, I meant adding my own mods to AoM. It always crashes when I click them.

Guess I should ask in the question thread... :P

Uruk-Hai, Skeleton Warriors, Green horde, Khorne Berserker, Dwarfs
Attention!>Wrong english grammar are special effects and wanted from my keyboard<Attention!

The more there is to hide, the more there's to uncover.
So welcome to the other side.
This trip here is hell...
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 30 July 2014 12:16 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21       
Ah that's a shame if yours aren't working. Your dwarves pack is fantastic.

The 'new' units I've included in this mod don't involve any new models - it's literally just protox and anim files (oh and the language file i guess). Not sure why it would be different to your attempts.

Edit: After doing some more investigating, it looks like the moment you're using a new or changed model file, the game will crash when you click on the unit in the editor. So that explains why your units aren't working. Hopefully it's something they will fix.

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 07-30-2014 @ 02:42 PM).]

Android 000
Mortal
(id: Android GRRR)
posted 31 July 2014 06:24 AM EDT (US)     17 / 21       
Oh perhaps all data files except the Proto files are ignored by the workshop.
Yes, that's exactly what's happening. The mod manager is still very much a work in progress. I'm sure it would help if you guys joined the discussion with the devs on the Steam modding forum!

Other than that, this is looking great

[This message has been edited by Android GRRR (edited 08-02-2014 @ 04:49 PM).]

Android 000
Mortal
(id: Android GRRR)
posted 17 August 2014 10:25 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21       
(Bump) Shrink, Archaeopterix; maybe you can post here to push the issue!
Shrink
on the trender train
posted 17 August 2014 01:33 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21       
Very nice post Android. Unfortunately it's hard to avoid the feeling that the developers aren't bothered. But you never know

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 08-17-2014 @ 01:36 PM).]

EpicWarrior202
Mortal
posted 17 August 2014 06:04 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21       
Failed to load in my AoM:TT.
Hammerhands
Mortal
posted 19 August 2014 08:21 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21       
Yay!! Awesome looking maps that I'll never play.

Edit: I like your Thor hammers. Might steal that.

[This message has been edited by Hammerhands (edited 08-19-2014 @ 08:22 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames