Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.64 replies, Closed
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » AoMH SD Competition 2020
Bottom
Topic Subject:AoMH SD Competition 2020
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Yeebaagooon
EXCO Emeritus
posted 13 April 2020 10:24 AM EDT (US)         
Alright AoMH, we're all stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment, but fear not. Your glorious overlord hereby decrees a new contest shall grace these noble halls. While in lockdown you should polish off your copy of the game and rebuild your skills in the editor. Great things are expected.

Your brief:
Build a small singleplayer map where the player partakes in an adventure. You will have three months to complete this task, and the below rules must be adhered to.
Rules:
  • Your map must be played in an area of maximum dimensions 100x100.
  • You are allowed to submit a map up to 150x150. The above rule still applies, use the space around the outside for cinematic/non-gameplay purposes only. Templates are provided if required, but you are not compelled to use them.
  • The theme and content of your map is entirely up to you - but must be playable as an 'adventure'.
  • Your map must be singleplayer.
  • You may use any version of Age of Mythology you choose.
  • Mods are allowed, however please try not to be excessive and give credit if they are not your own.
  • Use of custom content such as sound, skies, icons, triggers etc. is strongly encouraged - but you can still get a perfect score without them.
  • One submission per member.
  • Judges may participate, but will not win a prize.
  • The scenario can only be worked on by you, during the competition period.
  • The judges will play for a maximum of one hour per entry.
  • You must be a member of AoMH to participate in this contest. New members welcome.
  • Prize will be paid via paypal.
  • No monetary prize will be awarded if the contest attracts less than three entries. For three entries there will be one prize of £20. For four entries, there will be two prizes of £30 and £20. Five or more entries will unlock all three prizes as specified.
  • Rules subject to change without notice.
  • Judging criteria and identity to follow.
  • Useful guides can be found here.
  • Judges:

Yeebaagooon

TAG
    A rampant, unrepentant succeedophile who also writes his own introductions. Practitioner of social distancing before it was cool.Currently sheltering from COVID and hoping to inject himself with maps, rather than disinfectant.

Criteria for judging:

Adventure: Your map is an adventure so it has got to feel like one! In this category we will be grading your map for overall immersive feel. I want to feel like I am truly on an adventure. Many things can score you well here - over-arching themes and an epic storyline please!
    Balance: How difficult is your map? This is a challenge to get right, as your map shouldn't be too easy that they can be completed first time by the majority of players. Your map is supposed to be good enough that we would want to play it again, and be able to master it after a few tries.
    Cinematography: Since the oscars aren't happening AoMH will take the lead here. Cinematics are the cornerstone of all the greatest maps and your camera angles should complement perfect activity as well as dramatic shots that feel lively.
    Design: How well have you used the space that was given? 100x100 is a small area and I would hope to see it utilised well. If you are using lots of different areas, I don't want to see other areas or the edge of the map too much.
    Eyecandy: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. AoMH contests have been blessed with entries from the very gods of eyecandy themselves. Let's hope you can build something to make us proud.
    Features: Never has there been so much possibility in the AoM editor. With the madman nottud still at large we are expecting some never-before seen features in this contest and your map would do well to show off the numerous discoveries we have made.
    Gameplay: All about how smoothly your map runs. Lack of bugs and careful craft of the area to keep us on track.
    Deadline: Passed!
    We are now in the process of judging the nine entries we have received.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    ____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
    Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 07-24-2020 @ 02:29 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
    Zenophobia
    Irrational Fear
    posted 19 July 2020 08:59 PM EDT (US)     51 / 64       
    Nickonhawk should be on that list as well. He said he already submitted his scenario, even before mine. Looks like the email didn't get through. :|

[This message has been edited by Zenophobia (edited 02-29-2094 @ 10:60 AM).]
    Yeebaagooon
    EXCO Emeritus
    posted 24 July 2020 02:27 AM EDT (US)     52 / 64       
    Update: So our final 9 entrants are: Out Reach, Swenne, nottud, Zenophobia, WinterGod, phdorogers4, Nickonhawk, Eurotool and Yeebaagooon.

Myself and TAG are now beginning the process of judgement.

As a special bonus - I am delighted to announce that veteran forumer Lewonas has donated a vast amount of money equal to the prize pool, with approximately £15 as a bonus prize to the 'best in category' map for each of our judging criteria! This would reward exceptional work which does not make it into the top 3 and is also likely to boost the prize pool for the top 3 significantly. All glory to Lewonas. He joins us on the judging panel to give unofficial reviews and we will all be deliberating on the 'best in category' when we have seen all your glorious work.

While I cannot win a monetary prize for 1st-3rd place, I will be giving you all some competition for the best in category prizes .

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
    "You can't trust yeebaagooon to lead a rebelion, He would send everyone to steal mirrors so he could bask in his own brilliance." - Out Reach
    "Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
    AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7

[This message has been edited by Yeebaagooon (edited 07-24-2020 @ 02:28 AM).]

nottud
    Hero
    posted 24 July 2020 05:09 AM EDT (US)     53 / 64       
    Wow Lewonas that is very kind of you thank you.

Also great to hear there are even more entries as well! More amazing maps to play.
    Zenophobia
    Irrational Fear
    posted 26 July 2020 10:39 PM EDT (US)     54 / 64       
    Indeed. I plan to play and review every scenario as well, aside from my own of course. Hoping to see some great stuff!

Yeebaagooon
    EXCO Emeritus
    posted 31 July 2020 04:03 AM EDT (US)     55 / 64       
    Had hoped to get results out this month but there are quite a lot of interesting features to inspect and comment on, plus (my) results at the top end of scoring are ridiculously close.
    Judging still continues and results will be out next month, not going to say a date because I have no idea.

We are over halfway through. Lewonas will be reviewing and overseeing the 'best in category' as planned whilst myself and TAG shall soon convene to discuss our thoughts.

Yeebaagooon
    EXCO Emeritus
    posted 12 August 2020 03:23 PM EDT (US)     56 / 64       
    Results coming either Friday (more likely) or Sunday. Rejoice, peasants.

nottud
    Hero
    posted 12 August 2020 03:40 PM EDT (US)     57 / 64       
    Whooo look forward to the scenarios.
    Zenophobia
    Irrational Fear
    posted 12 August 2020 06:02 PM EDT (US)     58 / 64       
    *rejoices in peasantry*

Kai Hirogashi
    Mortal
    posted 12 August 2020 08:03 PM EDT (US)     59 / 64       
    Awesome canít wait to play the entries!
    I wonder what the others are like? Yeeb and Zeno did a showcase. Thereís a bit of curiosity....

|MEMORY|
    nottud
    Hero
    posted 13 August 2020 05:22 AM EDT (US)     60 / 64       
    I've not done a showcase but I will give you a tiny clue: The map is only 60 by 60! As I didn't know when it was releasing I was holding back a bit on the showcasing as I wanted to be able to have discussions about the map and mechanics used as well as leaving a bit of surprise to the early players.

[This message has been edited by nottud (edited 08-13-2020 @ 05:22 AM).]

Lewonas
    Mortal
    posted 13 August 2020 09:19 AM EDT (US)     61 / 64       
    Nice. I was pleasantly surprised to see the number of entries we had in this competition and even more surprised by how little each entry had in common with one another. Some excellent variety here. It also made judging them a lot more challenging. I'm excited to see the final results being posted and the discussions/explanations that are likely to emerge after seeing and playing the entries yourselves.

*building tension intensifies*

What are the key ingredients to make a popular RPG? To find out, read the results of the RPG survey.
    Want to create an advanced patrol/pathfinding system? Have a look at the powerful Pathfinding triggers.
    Games I'm playing: The Witness [80%] Chivalry: Medieval Warfare [20%]
    nottud
    Hero
    posted 13 August 2020 02:56 PM EDT (US)     62 / 64       
    You suggesting they are out tomorrow?
    Yeebaagooon
    EXCO Emeritus
    posted 13 August 2020 03:21 PM EDT (US)     63 / 64       
    Yeah they will be I've got most of the stuff ready .

Zenophobia
    Irrational Fear
    posted 13 August 2020 08:48 PM EDT (US)     64 / 64       
    Nice. Looks like a weekend of fun is coming up.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames