You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Tips for Creating a New Culture?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Tips for Creating a New Culture?
The Greek Geek
Mortal
posted 17 April 2020 03:50 PM EDT (US)         
Hey all!

I've been playing AOM since I was a lad, and I've been intrigued by the editor and creating scenarios and campaigns for years.

I recently noticed that AOM also got a gameplay update in December, so what better time to pic the game back up than the present?

(And the editor is a bit like riding a bike, so that's a plus!)

That said, I finally want to tackle an old personal goal of mine, make a campaign (regardless of size).

The only thing is, over the years my interests have shifted a bit, and D&D is basically my end all hobby at this point. I've done a lot of world building over the years, and so I've no shortage of ideas for a AOM campaign, but I want to add a more personal touch.

Point being, I really want to make a totally custom culture so that I don't have to use a ton of triggers to rename, and re-stat things.

The TL;DR of this is:

What are some tips and tricks you have for someone wanting to create a whole new culture for the game from the ground up?
AuthorReplies:
WinterGod
Mortal
posted 26 April 2020 11:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9       

It depends on what you want to create. Modding, and creating technologies, is generally quite easy. For example what is the custom culture going to be like?

I myself have never released mods that heavily modify existing Major Gods. We still can't create brand new Major Gods for the AOM EE, but if it's a custom campaign there are a couple of things you can do.

Use a modified Town Center, create modified villager, and those villagers can create modified buildings.

I have a private Medjay mod, with a re-textured Medjay villager, creating other medjay units.

I worked on a Ptolemaic Egypt mod, but I abandoned it. [Greek& Egpyt partially combined] I am also thinking about doing a switch of Manticore and the Satyr.

Creating brand new buildings and models is of course very difficult, I am still working on an Aztec mod using buildings from AOEIII. I love how it's coming together, but I am still dreading the Myth Unit creation.

There is for example the Age of Wrath, which adds multiple new Gods, and the left-overs mod that creates a new using SPC units.

If you explain what you want to crate we can help you more.
Yeebaagooon
EXCO Emeritus
posted 26 April 2020 01:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
I would advise that triggering everything is a lot easier than modding (in my experience at least)!
Closest I've come to doing something similar is crucible.

Naming units is very easy with the modern triggers - you could just have the v or ysearch triggers to change the name of every unit of a certain type on the map.

______________________________________ Yeebaagooon ______________________________________
____________________ AoMH Seraph ____________________
"I saw the picture and became immediately worried about Yeeb seducing and buying out Zen" - Shanks13
"Yeebaagooon had never seen a more handsome man in all his life. He couldn't control himself, He needed to act. Gripping the mirror in his strong arms he kissed the figure before him..." - Out Reach
AoMH: Unfinished Scenarios|Singleplayer: Codename Ripto|Multiplayer: Minigames Z|CSC 7
Ex Seraphs Dictator, Spore Heaven Seraph
The Greek Geek
Mortal
posted 18 May 2020 02:38 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
Oh wow! I must have missed that this thread was replied to!
I've already gotten it set up to look as if it's a custom culture for the purposes of the campaign I'm working on.

But while working on it, it struck me that it might be fun to fully flesh the culture out for Multiplayer if possible (even if only offline skirmish). The campaign is inspired by my D&D setting, so it felt like both a good world building exercise as well as one in modding.

If brand new cultures are out of the question, am I better off making custom buildings or replacing an existing culture?
I mostly want to ensure that my custom units have their own models/descriptions/etc, so if I can do that for the campaign simply by using custom buildings and triggers, I may sacrifice the culture idea for that.

A wise man once said: "You may feel less like fighting after I pull off your head!"

Find me on Youtube!
WinterGod
Mortal
posted 18 May 2020 04:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       

You can still use your custom culture in a campaign, but you won't be able to use it in a Random Map. It is possible to create a modified duplicate town center, and train various modded units. You won't be able to open the minor god screen for example, but you can still progress through the ages, using modified technologies. You just need to create a Minor God Tech similar to any other technology in the game.

Repeating the same triggers multiple times in a couple of scenarios sounds a bit of a headache for me . If you are using the extended edition, modding is quite easy.

You can use your custom culture online I think, as long as it is a scenario and not a random map game.
The Greek Geek
Mortal
posted 19 May 2020 02:31 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
So if i'm not misunderstanding this, I *can* make a new culture, it would, however, only be usable in campaign/scenario maps, and it wouldn't have the full function of selecting Zeus or Ra. (As far as minor gods, and such go.)

I'd definitely like to learn more about making custom town centers and buildings and such if you know of any guides!

In the end, my main goal is completing the campaign, so I won't lose sleep if I can't fully flesh it out. Thanks for the advice so far!

A wise man once said: "You may feel less like fighting after I pull off your head!"

Find me on Youtube!
WinterGod
Mortal
posted 19 May 2020 04:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       

You will still have a major God, but in the scenario editor you can change the name of your major god. Since you are already using different buildings and such the culture will look completely different.
It will be a bit more helpful if you fully explain what you want to create.

Custom Town Center can be created using the proto file. Just duplicate the Town Center in the proto file and rename it. It uses a different name I think. It was settlement level 1 or something like that.

If you are planning to use the existing models in the game, You just need to play with The proto, techtree, anim and hte sound files.
The Greek Geek
Mortal
posted 21 May 2020 09:53 AM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
So basically, my idea is thus:

I want to make a set of units and buildings with unique models, stats, and descriptions. The god powers, I don't mind remixing from those already in game, but some of the smaller culture/minor god related upgrades I'd be interested in customizing.

The campaign will be short, but several of the levels will feature a city siege or sets of challenges that need a diverse army to defeat.

I've got a spreadsheet of the units and their stats already completed, as well as group of buildings from which to train them. Once I finish with the stats for those, as well as structures, then I'll begin the herculean task of modelling everything and actually making a custom protox for all 32 units and 13ish buildings.

Find me on Youtube!
WinterGod
Mortal
posted 21 May 2020 11:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 9       

You need the 3ds max, AOM plugins and a texture editor for the unique models. All the other can be easily created. My advice is examine the proto file, and then the tech tree before creating your own mod. Creating brand new units, is quite a bit of work, so you may want to experiment with the existing units or models first. I started out creating my Aztec civilization, by adding technologies to the shrine and the dwarven forge, from the campaign.

Since the AOM models are low poly, creating brand new buildings is not that hard. You can even modify the roofs or the change the textures to make them look new and fresh.

You may also want to check the steam workshop. I think that many assets from other games are already modded. You can ask the permission of the creator, to create your own mod.
The Greek Geek
Mortal
posted 21 May 2020 12:22 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
Those are all grand ideas! It's a relatively Greek inspired culture, so I figured I could get away with a model swap or two in terms of buildings. Other than that, if I really get stumped need help, maybe I could offer a cash reward to some prospecting modelers out there.

In any case I'll check out the programs you suggested. I already tooled around a bit in 3DS and I've been skimming a few modeling/unit creation threads.

I have some units in place as stand-ins to actually build out the campaign, and hopefully I can have a demo ready for actual design feedback soon!

Find me on Youtube!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames