You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Halls of Valhalla
Moderated by Yeebaagooon, TAG

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.401 replies
Age of Mythology Heaven » Forums » Halls of Valhalla » Coral Reef Mafia: Endgame
Bottom
Topic Subject:Coral Reef Mafia: Endgame
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8 ··· 16  Next Page »
Blatant
DoFH Seraph & Director of Seraphs
(id: blatant7)
posted 29 July 2014 03:27 PM EDT (US)         

Life was good in the coral reef. Countless species of colorful fish lived out their lives, found mates, and raised families of their own. Everything was as it should be. Then, one day, a dark figure swam overhead, blocking out the sun and shrouding everything in darkness. There was a new danger in the reef, and it threatened to end the fishes peaceful way of life forever.

Rules:

• This game is closed communication unless specified in your role email.
  • Don't directly quote your role email.
  • Don't edit any of your posts in the game thread.
  • Don't post after the day has ended.
  • Please vote and unvote correctly.
  • An inactive fish is a dead fish. Don't be an inactive fish.
  • Don't post after you're dead.
  • Normal mafia game mechanics apply.
  • Night will not last longer than 48 hours.
  • Just keep swimming.

Still swimming:

1.Ashrzr
    2.Baske
    3.scragins

Belly up:
    1.Out Reach - Sunset Wrasse - VT
    2.Excelsior - Moorish Idol - VT
    3.Herr - Potter's Angelfish - VT
    4.WRP - Grey Reef Shark - Mafia Goon
    5.sneaky squirrel - Great White Shark - Mafia Godfather
    6.Yeeb - Blue-Spotted Stingray - Roleblocker
    7.Cheddar Chap - Saddleback Butterflyfish - VT
    7.Alex - Golden Damselfish - VT
    8.ninjapenguin - Striped Surgeonfish - Doctor

Replacements:
    1.Lewonas

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
    But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson

[This message has been edited by Blatant (edited 11-11-2014 @ 07:51 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Alex
    (VIP) Reverie World Studios
    (id: pEpsIdUDe_123)
    posted 17 August 2014 01:25 PM EDT (US)     126 / 401       
    I don't mind holding off on a claim, but if that's what you want to do, you should really try to point us in a new direction since we don't have any other leads...

If there's any information to be gained from marine biology, surgeonfish are so named because they have a sharp, retractable, and sometimes venomous "scalpel" on either side of their tails.

I'm also having trouble getting any information on the powder black surgeonfish (sneaky). It seems to be a nickname for a lot of other surgeonfish (Whitecheek Tang or the Japanese Surgeonfish) but not a well used name to classify a specific fish, suggesting that the name is rarely used enough to warrant a safe claim.

Alex
    posted 17 August 2014 01:29 PM EDT (US)     127 / 401       
    With regard to Excel, if he were scum, he'd either have to really be a Moorish Idol or have had to search a fish directory and come up with that claim.

If it's the former, (a) why would a Moorish Idol (a fish so named because it's believed to be a bringer of happiness) be mafia, and (b) Excel would likely have some flavor/description of the fish since Blatant revealed that mafia received more flavor - making it less likely that he could have botched up the role.

If it's the latter, the fact that he had to search for and invent a claim would have told him that the Moorish Idol was a fish and not a statue or a god. And, no offense, but I don't think his acting is good enough to play dumb.

Alex
    posted 17 August 2014 01:32 PM EDT (US)     128 / 401       
    And that first post was directed at ninja and sneaky.

Cheddar Chap
    Mortal
    (id: The Cheese Man)
    posted 17 August 2014 09:44 PM EDT (US)     129 / 401       
    I don't think Scragins should reveal his target until tomorrow, assuming we have no new leads by then. I don't find him particularly suspicious at the moment.
    If it's the former, (a) why would a Moorish Idol (a fish so named because it's believed to be a bringer of happiness) be mafia, and (b) Excel would likely have some flavor/description of the fish since Blatant revealed that mafia received more flavor - making it less likely that he could have botched up the role.
    (a) Why would a Saddleback Butterflyfish be ANYTHING? Why would a Whale Shark be ANYTHING? You're using Excelsior's logic that Ash is scum because he's a Masked Somethingorotherfish.

(b) Using your logic how could Excel screw up his claim so badly if all he was given was a name, role, and alignment? A theory: Excelsior was given more flavor because he is scum and, believing other players had similar amounts of flavor, made up a back story to match. Since apparently--and I didn't read this myself--scum have more flavor than Townies, does that not make Excel more suspicious for providing something other than a name, role, and alignment?

Not that the bolded theory is something a subscribe to. I'm just pointing out why your defense of him makes no sense. In fact, I don't strongly suspect that he's scum; I just feel he's more likely scum than any other player at the moment.

Scragins seems pretty OK but, again, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other, alignment-wise. Ash, again, is likely not scum in my eyes but I have no evidence that points toward him being Town.

And, again, Excel has lied to the players by providing false information about Ash's abilities. He has jumped on Ash without evidence. He has only justified his argument with "gut feelings".

█▄ █▄█ ▄█▀ ▀█▀
    I too always thought "blog" would sound less silly as the years went by.
    Mozzarella Man Cheddar Chap, Brie Bloke, Gorgonzola Guy, Feta Fellow, Wensleydale Warrior, Edam Emperor, Parmesan Priest,
    Munster Mate, Asiago Associate, Provolone Player, Havarti Hunk, Romano Rabbi, Swiss Soldier, Limburger Lass, Gouda Gentleman
    Alex
    posted 17 August 2014 10:40 PM EDT (US)     130 / 401       
    (a) Why would a Saddleback Butterflyfish be ANYTHING? Why would a Whale Shark be ANYTHING? You're using Excelsior's logic that Ash is scum because he's a Masked Somethingorotherfish.
    I don’t think Blatant would have made it obvious, but I doubt the choice of fish is completely random. I wouldn’t expect a clownfish to be mafia, nor would I expect an eel to be a vanilla townie. Granted that’s why there are bound to be fake claims, but I have trouble seeing Excel’s botched claim as fake.
    (b) Using your logic how could Excel screw up his claim so badly if all he was given was a name, role, and alignment? A theory: Excelsior was given more flavor because he is scum and, believing other players had similar amounts of flavor, made up a back story to match. Since apparently--and I didn't read this myself--scum have more flavor than Townies, does that not make Excel more suspicious for providing something other than a name, role, and alignment?
    A lot of things don’t add up, and I have absolutely no idea why Excel invented his flavor - my best guess is that he likes to role-play and is new to mafia and genuinely confused about the rules around quoting Blatant.

What I’m saying is I’m having trouble imagining him messing up a fish with a statue unless all he was given was that fish’s name. If he were really a mafia Moorish Idol, he’d have to have been given some pretty weird flavor to convince him that he’s some omnipotent statue. Or if he’s mafia and some other creature, he’d have to invent the claim, go to a random fish directory, and play dumb that he had no idea it was a fish even though he was the one who sought it out.

He was also the first to name claim and drew a ton of attention to himself in the process, something you’d expect mafia to be a little more hesitant to do.

I will, however, repeat my request for him to explain the “circumstantial evidence” he found associating Ash with a night action.

WRP
    Mortal
    (id: WRP_BEATER)
    posted 17 August 2014 10:58 PM EDT (US)     131 / 401       
    Excelsior's play has been bad from the very start and, in my opinion, will be a negative asset to the town, possibly misleading, or a nuisance at the very least.

AoMH retired Scenario designer
    Skarr: "I wish WRP_Beater would stop abusing the poor BBCode."
    lostrozzacavalli: "Mezzo e un minuto." | "I'm joking ragazzo."
    Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
    WRP
    Mortal
    posted 17 August 2014 11:00 PM EDT (US)     132 / 401       
    Alex, the "circumstantial evidence", as he himself explained earlier, is just a feeling he has based on metagaming.

Dr. Newt: "You are WRP. A slightly manic Italian presence on the forums, you have improved over the years to be a fairly reliable pair of hands, either as town or scum."
    Alex
    posted 17 August 2014 11:41 PM EDT (US)     133 / 401       
    He was just referencing another game where he previously acted off of a “hunch based on circumstantial evidence,” not saying the circumstantial evidence was that unrelated game.

If the evidence amounts to nothing, I’ll happily write his name down, but I’d like to give him the chance to speak for himself.

ninjapenguin981
    Mortal
    (id: ninjapenguin)
    posted 18 August 2014 02:05 PM EDT (US)     134 / 401       
    Okay so basically it's a load of rubbish.

@Alex there really isn't another direction to go to. I think Excelsior is the best option from what we've seen, and letting the day drag on longer IMO will garner little or no new evidence without exposing too much information that could be a detriment to the town.

ninjapenguin981
    I AM THE ALMIGHTY ETERNAL LOSER SISSY BOY
    ninjapenguin981
    Mortal
    posted 18 August 2014 02:05 PM EDT (US)     135 / 401       
    Whoops forgot to vote.

Vote: Excelsior

ninjapenguin981
    Ashrzr
    Battle of the Forums EEH winning team
    (id: normandy887)
    posted 18 August 2014 04:07 PM EDT (US)     136 / 401       
    I still think Scragins is a better lead. Why is he... *puts on sunglasses* off the hook? Tracker-SKs have appeared before, there was only one kill last night and so a serial role could have used another ability like tracking, and bottle-nosed dolphins eat fish. But as I have been saying, Excelsior should full claim.

"Cue gang-rape music!" - Rotaretilbo
    "What the f*** is gang-rape music?" - Cheddar Chap
    Alex
    posted 19 August 2014 00:41 AM EDT (US)     137 / 401       
    and letting the day drag on longer IMO will garner little or no new evidence without exposing too much information that could be a detriment to the town.
    I'd argue that information is more beneficial to the town than the mafia. I'd much rather go into the night armed with information than go in blind. The mafia will make an attack regardless of what they know, but whatever information the town has can direct our cops, doctors, roleblockers, etc.

Obviously if we're asking a cop or whatever to claim, he should come up with a fake claim if he thinks it's in the best interest of the town, but there's no harm in probing.

Blatant
    DoFH Seraph & Director of Seraphs
    (id: blatant7)
    posted 19 August 2014 01:06 AM EDT (US)     138 / 401       
    Vote Count
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Excelsior: 3 (Cheddar Chap, Yeebaagooon, ninjapenguin)
    scragins: 1 (sneaky squirrel)
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    6 votes to lynch

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
    But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
    scragins
    Heretic of December
    posted 19 August 2014 06:17 AM EDT (US)     139 / 401       
    I still think Scragins is a better lead. Why is he... *puts on sunglasses* off the hook? Tracker-SKs have appeared before, there was only one kill last night and so a serial role could have used another ability like tracking, and bottle-nosed dolphins eat fish. But as I have been saying, Excelsior should full claim.
    Your points so far have been my claim my claim as a bottle nose dolphin and that fact that I haven't told you who I targeted last night. Now you are saying that I could be an SK who can track as well which means that you don't care wether or not I tell you who targeted as wether or not I tell you it seems you will declare it scum. If you don't want me "off the hook" then why don't you try and come up with some evidence against me.
    ninjapenguin981
    Mortal
    posted 19 August 2014 07:10 AM EDT (US)     140 / 401       
    I agree with scragins on this front. I think that bottle-nosed dolphin (while yes is different to the rest of the claims) isn't the best information we currently have.

ninjapenguin981
    Excelsior
    Mortal
    posted 19 August 2014 07:41 AM EDT (US)     141 / 401       
    First, off-game topic, I want to thank Alex for holding the line for me over the weekend. I don’t know you, and I appreciate you trying to give me time to respond. Thanks.

On-game:
    @Alex: I do like to role-play, a lot, and I am relatively new to mafia, with only a few games under my belt. BUT, I only allowed myself basically one post to roleplay, as I wanted to give my first spill as a god would (I think I stated that reason pretty early), and then settle in for a good game of mafia, where I could maybe learn some things.

@Mozzy: I just want to say the only thing useful in your attack on me was the part where you stated all your points against me were weak. I appreciate that admission, and will now go about proving just how weak I think they are, since you seem intent on getting me lynched.

1st point. First of all, regarding my “lying”, if you didn’t notice, Ash posted in between my pressure post on him and my second explanation post. In there, he had a prime chance to invoke LAL and get me lynched, but he didn’t. Instead, you were the one to jump in there, you who had NO knowledge of what I knew or didn’t know. If anyone could call me a liar, Ash could, but he didn’t. (Although he may now. IDK). If I weren’t fairly convinced you are just a townie trying to do your job, I would almost believe you were just covering for Ash.

I am deeply surprised that this well-trained town missed that. Perhaps it is a subtle cue they just want me gone?

Secondly, my post on Ash was a pressure post, on Day One. Day One random pressure posts, by definition, lack solid evidence. What did you want me to do, say, “Ash, I think you might be scum, please confirm this? That doesn’t work typically, instead you need to be able to act like the attack is real in order to get results. (In my experience) Ruffling someone’s feathers by claiming you know something that they are pretty positive you shouldn’t know is a sure method of getting a response. But Ash didn’t respond, at least not aggressively. I really think we were just two townies getting our signals crossed.

Lastly, you see I only kept up the farce long enough to get a response to my attack, and immediately dropped it. I did not continue “lying,” but instead openly admitted it was just a suspicion I wanted resolved, in case Ash was scum.

This is a point that I would really like removed from the list, as I did not make the post in an attempt to make a long-standing "lie" but rather in an attempt to pressure someone I felt suspicious. If any random, weak attack, on Day One of all days, is considered scummy by this town, then I'm really doubting this town's capabilities. A much more realistic look would be at the inactives or somewhat inactives, and compare that to my behaviour to see which is really the most scummy. I may have not contributed anything useful so far, but is that a point upon which I should be lynched and they should not be?

2nd point: Regarding my name-claim flavor, need I remind that, from near the beginning of the game, before anyone else had claimed, and especially before Blatant had made his modpost regarding scum flavor (and before you joined), I had already stated that my flavor post was completely and entirely my role email translated into the way that a god would have told the crowd. Even it was actual flavor, the point remains that it has nothing scummy in it, except that it was an early claim and that the god told the crowd they would, unfortunately, regret it. How else would the god say, “I’m town?” Perhaps I should have said, “And I have decided to help you?’ (I SHOULD have realized I was a fish, but….)

Nothing in my flavor makes any sense, to me, as the bad guy in the OP. I defy any actual scum player in this game to come up with random flavor based on his email that beats what I did with my simple name, role, alignment setup. Come on, I dare any scum to come up with something else that far out there, unless you sincerely believe that you are playing a statue that has been shipwrecked here for five-six hundred years.

However, I must say that I made a tremendous blunder in claiming like that, both early and in converting my role email to flavor. I should have simply stated Moorish Idol, and I would have been undeceived as to my identity from the first couple of a posts.

3rd point: You stated that I am the one harping on the name-claims too long, and that I am therefore suspicious. This is a bunch of dolphin dung (No offense, Scragins). Other players have "harped" on it longer than I have, even after you made this point. I request that you remove this point from your list against me, due to your inconsistent and arbitrary use of it.

@ Town. I am reading several posts stating that, Excelsior makes a bunch of claims, Excel is a nuisance, Excel is useless, etc, we should just cut him loose the first day. May I ask, what exactly have you done to advance town’s cause, hem? Where are your posts that are trying to lead town to get a mafia lynch without a cop result, and therefore cop exposure? I’m not seeing anything except from Alex, Ash, Scragins, with Mozz slightly helping, but even Mozz would be absent except for his posts against me. Even Yeeb, who has joined in the voting against me, has yet to make a point useful to the lynch, except to say, Excel made a mistake, he’s the best option for a lynch. (If anyone has suggested a good alternate lynch, I apologize for missing it, I will rectify the statement asap when notified, or if I see something. I appreciate Yeeb for being present and posting, as well as ninjap and sneaky squirrel.)

Nobody has done anything to help me in my search, except the three mentioned. Is it any surprise that I have turned up dead ends, when there is so little evidence to go on, with this being Day One? Is it my fault that I have a dislike for making a no-lynch or bad lynch on Day one? The main suspicion from these last players is from my aggression trying to find a good lynch. Suspicion should be on people trying to VOTE for a lynch, rather than people nosing for a good possibility. I have yet to vote, I have yet to suggest a vote, I have yet to suggest anything foolhardy for town to do, but others seem fine for settling for a “best lynch, IMO”. Forgive me, but I prefer going for a straight-up mafia lynch day one. That is my goal in every game, (except when I’m scum), and I see no reason to deviate in this one due to lack of activity or support.

I apologize for the wall of text. I merely wished to hit all points against me in a single post.
    Excelsior
    Mortal
    posted 19 August 2014 08:03 AM EDT (US)     142 / 401       
    @Alex: Forgot to state the circumstantial evidence. Alex, it appears that I have indeed been bordering on metagaming, though not intentionally. The post Ash made that made me suspect he had a night role was not in this thread.

I apologize for allowing it to affect my suspicions, Ash, and I apologize for even mentioning it.
    WRP
    Mortal
    posted 19 August 2014 08:22 AM EDT (US)     143 / 401       
    Leading a scum lynch on day 1 with little to no information is not that easy. The only factor that can be looked upon is behaviour, and yours is by far the most outstanding of the day.

Weed Basket
    Carrier-pigeon of bad news
    (id: Baske)
    posted 19 August 2014 08:26 AM EDT (US)     144 / 401       
    vote: Scragins

I honestly believe Excelsior just made a big ass blunder. I have yet to understand how he could have blundered so catastrophically, but let's not go into that one.

Personally, after the tl;dr post (the density of that dark cloud of letters really put me off) it's become clear to me he really does not want to take the fall.

I do believe scragins has something to hide. Now, if some other townies would rather see somebody else go, I'll hop the bandwagon and help in the process. Indivualistic thinking is of course favorable, but I do believe sometimes you have to help the group by laying down your indivual thoughts...

“Si vis pacem, para bellum”
    Alex
    posted 19 August 2014 09:03 AM EDT (US)     145 / 401       
    It's easy enough to test scragins' claim if he were to reveal his findings and if we could get the trackee to confirm or deny. No actual actions need to be revealed, and even if the trackee is scum, they'll know they'd be the next target for a lynch if scragins comes up innocent.

Alex
    posted 19 August 2014 09:05 AM EDT (US)     146 / 401       
    *if the trackee is scum and lies

scragins
    Heretic of December
    posted 19 August 2014 09:19 AM EDT (US)     147 / 401       
    Will people stop asking me to do things without giving reasons. Having said that I do realize that I am digging myself into a hole by postponing. So I will tell you that who I targeted targeted Herr so now I have locked myself in, but until you actually give a reason apart from my name or it becomes more probable that I am not hurting the town by revealing a power role. So far the only other town role I know is a VT suggesting that there are not many power roles and revealing one would hurt the town.
    Herr Heir
    Mortal
    (id: Heir of Elessar)
    posted 19 August 2014 10:27 AM EDT (US)     148 / 401       
    I have supremely busy for the last few days, but I should be able to post tonight.

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
    Ashrzr
    Battle of the Forums EEH winning team
    (id: normandy887)
    posted 19 August 2014 02:21 PM EDT (US)     149 / 401       
    If you don't want me "off the hook" then why don't you try and come up with some evidence against me.
    There is almost never any circumstantial evidence on Day 1.

Will people stop asking me to do things without giving reasons. Having said that I do realize that I am digging myself into a hole by postponing. So I will tell you that who I targeted targeted Herr so now I have locked myself in, but until you actually give a reason apart from my name or it becomes more probable that I am not hurting the town by revealing a power role. So far the only other town role I know is a VT suggesting that there are not many power roles and revealing one would hurt the town.
    It's a given that almost every role in this game is a power role. The risk of revealing one is not a very good reason to hide the target, because none of us will even know what Herr's role is.

"Cue gang-rape music!" - Rotaretilbo
    "What the f*** is gang-rape music?" - Cheddar Chap
    WRP
    Mortal
    posted 19 August 2014 06:16 PM EDT (US)     150 / 401       
    Wait, did Scragins say that he targeted Herr or that his target targeted Herr? Just making sure, it's easy to put an extra word in a post that screws the sentence meaning up.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8 ··· 16  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Mythology Heaven | HeavenGames