Posted on 03/04/23 @ 04:39 PM
Note: This zip contains only one file, the scenario itself. To play, just drop it in your scenario folder!
||AoM:Tale of the Dragon
[i]Years before the Trojan War, circa 1300 BCE, great heroes would be forged in one of Greece's earliest epics. [/i]
Take control of Jason of Iolcos and his band of Argonauts (sailors of the Argo), the Grecian heroes who sailed on the mythical quest to claim the Golden Fleece!
The Jason epic, like other ancient oral histories, has no one definitive source and so includes many variations. It is also inextricably connected to and interwoven with the tales of heroes such as Castor and Polydeuces (Pollux), Heracles, Orpheus, and most of the heroes who go on to fight in Troy. I have done my best to consult as many sources as possible to stay true to the tale and details, though at times I had to make artistic decisions. If you are unfamiliar with the story of Jason, I recommend you look it up before playing this scenario (you can play without knowing anything, but it will be more meaningful if you have background). I hope you enjoy living the Jason tale!
- A single large scenario, with multiple main and side quests (like a short campaign contained within one game).
- Approximately 3 hours of gameplay per run.
- Four different difficulty levels and multiple RPG-style choices, highly replayable!
- An innovative and detailed "minimap" that allows the player to move around the world freely.
- Immersive cinematics and ambient effects throughout the game.
- Easter eggs from both Greek mythology and from AOM.
- Not a "mod." The entire scenario was produced using the basic in-game editor and standard components.
- The result of 100s of hours of work and love.
Leading up to the public release of Jason v1.1 in March 2023, I did many hours of playtesting myself, and had my good friend AsteriaVox playtest as well. Also thanks to this forum for providing valuable insights over the years! I believe everything works as planned (if not necessarily perfectly), but please let me know if you find things broken.
- What do I do??
ANS: Make sure to read all popup messages, chats, and [u]most importantly[/u] [b]OBJECTIVES[/b]. I have tried to include lots of information to guide you.
- Where do I go next on the minimap?
ANS: Get close to units you haven't tried yet and select them. If you can't get to something, it probably means you need to go somewhere else first.
- Does difficulty matter?
ANS: Yes (mostly). Each of the 4 difficulties is unique, but only at certain points in the story. I playtested on medium mostly.
- Why is this one, giant scenario and not a campaign of several missions?
ANS: I considered both options, but doing it this way gives the user control over their journey and allows for units and resources to carry through the entire story.
- Can I lose in this scenario?
ANS: Definitely, yes! There are many perils, some obvious and some less so. I HIGHLY recommend [u]saving often[/u] to avoid having to restart from a mistake.
- Do I have to participate in the open-world economy system?
ANS: If you play on easy you can probably get away without gathering any resources beyond the main story. However, with increasing difficulty you will need resources before the final battle.
- What happens if I miss a side quest?
ANS: Nothing per se, but you may miss out on resources or units (not to mention fun!). There's a lot to see in this scenario, as the Jason story is quite extensive itself, but most side quests will not block your progress on main objectives.
- Though not completely accurate to the mythology, my original inspiration (and source for the cover art) is the 1963 classic film "Jason and the Argonauts." If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P14Zxr3WOSw
- The essential story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argonauts
- I have more! If you'd like other sources for specific parts of the story, just ask!
|Author||Comments & Reviews ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )|
hi, i love the idea of the scenario but i am blocked at the beginning when the crocodile are supposed to attack me and hera wich they dont do for some reason. stuck on the sea bed? i restarted it many a time and still no change. i cant cross the river either. i am playing aom extended edition tale of the dragon. could this be the culprit? such a pity i love jason and the argonauts.
Posted on 03/28/23 @ 10:27 AM
edit: i move the crocodile nearer to the bank of hera in the editor and i could continue this scenario... finally enjoying it
a bit further in the story my boat is stuck next to the argos harbor on the minimap as soon as you are supposed to set sail for the first time (the minimap is gorgeous and a great idea by the way!) no way to move the boat anywhere...
i am gutted i can explore your map further
could it be because the blue tile is not water on the mini map? maybe use just mini jason and not the boat on the mini map?
are other people having the same troubles and if not do they have another version than the extended tale of the dragon one?
[Edited on 03/28/23 @ 01:51 PM]